Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 05:11 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 05:11

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1649 [18]
Given Kudos: 781
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 124 [3]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 68 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Re: Although it closed its doors forever in 2000, the Desert Inn [#permalink]
WHere should be used since we are referring to a place here. And C looks the better of the available choices!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 75 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
psychomath wrote:
WHere should be used since we are referring to a place here. And C looks the better of the available choices!

Guys - Do not discard the above options simply because of the usage of "in which" and "where". Generally "where" is used for places, but "in which" also used to refer to any places. One more addition to this is whenever you see there are some hypothetical places i.e. "in which" is also applicable there as well. Here among all the options "C" is more concise. Hence C is the answer.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [0]
Given Kudos: 40
For what?: You know!!
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
Send PM
chanakya84 wrote:
psychomath wrote:

Guys - Do not discard the above options simply because of the usage of "in which" and "where". Generally "where" is used for places, but "in which" also used to refer to any places. One more addition to this is whenever you see there are some hypothetical places i.e. "in which" is also applicable there as well. Here among all the options "C" is more concise. Hence C is the answer.

I am simply unable to discard option D. Pls help experts!!!
Why is C better then D here.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 225 [3]
Given Kudos: 79
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT Date: 03-02-2015
GPA: 3.88
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Wazza wrote:
chanakya84 wrote:
psychomath wrote:

I am simply unable to discard option D. Pls help experts!!!
Why is C better then D here.

Hi Wazza,

Consider the following two statements.

1. I bought a 'new' pen
2. I bought a pen, which is new.

Are you able to find the difference between the two statements?

In the latter statement, the emphasis is on the pen(which i bought) and the pen is new is just an additional information which is not required. While in the former statement, the emphasis is on the 'new' pen bought by me.

Apply the same thing now...

in the now demolished Crystal Showroom and the crystal showroom, which is now demolished.

Option D distorts the meaning a bit. And moreover, if you find two options, which are both grammatically correct, go with the one that is more closer to the original option.

Hope, i've made myself clear.

Hence option c is correct.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 284 [2]
Given Kudos: 65
GPA: 3.98
Send PM
Kudos
vudsri000 wrote:
Went with E.......Can't believe its C.............
Where better than In which
I went with E because it is the one which used along with A ....because they performed before the doors were closed ........

Why Had is neglected someone please

The performance was before “it closed its doors forever in 2000”, so it may seem that the past perfect is needed; however, that is not the main clause.
The performance took place when “ the Desert Inn was a cornerstone of classic Vegas”, not before, so the past perfect is wrong.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 85 [0]
Given Kudos: 905
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 620 Q50 V24
GRE 1: Q167 V147
Send PM
Hi all,
I could narrow down to (A) and (C),but couldn't find any rigid elimination to pick the right one.Could you please shed some light on the difference between "in which" and "where"? Also the reason why past perfect is not require?
Thanks
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [1]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM