It is currently 21 Sep 2017, 09:06

Happening Now:

Live Chat with Amy Mitson, Sr. Associate Director of Admissions at Tuck Dartmouth

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Although it was once funded entirely by the government, the

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 14

GMAT 1: 640 Q42 V38
GPA: 3.1
Reviews Badge
Re: Although it was once funded entirely by the government, the [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 May 2016, 12:00
Please correct me if iam wrong :-

Although it was once funded entirely by the government, the Victoria and Albert Museum was one of the first of Britain’s national museums seeking support from corporations and private donors and to increase income by increasing attendance.

Before we start, i looked at the IIism marker of infinitive To Increase and something has to be parallel to it.

(A) one of the first of Britain’s national museums seeking support from :- Not Parallel with to seek
(B) one of Britain’s first national museums seeking support of :- Not Parallel with to seek
(C) among Britain’s first national museums to seek support of :- Parallel , but idiom to seek support of is incorrect
(D) among the first of Britain’s national museums to seek support from :- Okay in Parallel and Seek Support from :- Correct
(E) among Britain’s first national museums that have sought the support of :- Not Parallel

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 14

VP
VP
S

Kudos [?]: 152 [0], given: 916

Show Tags

New post 05 Jun 2016, 07:04
Zatarra wrote:
guys, i googled and found that "support of" is followed by the entity receiving support and not giving

great explanation

i think so.

support of somebody from somebody.

the first person receive the support. the second give support.

visit my facebook to help me.
on facebook, my name is: thang thang thang

Kudos [?]: 152 [0], given: 916

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 74 [0], given: 197

Concentration: Operations, Finance
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V34
GPA: 3.8
WE: Operations (Commercial Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 05 Jun 2016, 07:28
Answer is D in simple terms the reason is parallel usage of the verbs :

To Seek support ..... To increase income

Kudos [?]: 74 [0], given: 197

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Kudos [?]: 253 [0], given: 0

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 13 Jul 2016, 19:53
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Kudos [?]: 253 [0], given: 0

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 31

Concentration: Operations, General Management
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V37
WE: Analyst (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 13 Jul 2016, 23:28
Incorrectly selected B then saw thr parallelism and it should be D.

Sent from my SM-N910H using Tapatalk

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 31

Top Contributor
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
B

Kudos [?]: 2402 [1], given: 220

Concentration: Finance, Leadership
GPA: 2.81
WE: Business Development (Real Estate)

Show Tags

New post 14 Jul 2016, 02:36
This post received
KUDOS
Top Contributor
Although it was once funded entirely by the government, the Victoria and Albert Museum was one of the first of Britain’s national museums seeking support from corporations and private donors and to increase income by increasing attendance.
(A) one of the first of Britain’s national museums seeking support from ......>indicated only one museum,but there are two museums and seeking is not paralled with the non-underlined "to increase"
(B) one of Britain’s first national museums seeking support of .........>indicated only one museum,but there are two museums and seeking is not paralleled with the non-underlined "to increase"
(C) among Britain’s first national museums to seek support of ........>Singular object required (presence of "was" in the non-underlined part indicated subject is singular)
(D)among the first of Britain’s national museums to seek support from .......>Correct for resolving all the issues arose in incorrect answer choices and "to seek" is parallel ed with the non-underlined "to increase"
(E) among Britain’s first national museums that have sought the support of .......>Singular object required (presence of "was" in the non-underlined part indicated subject is singular) and existing parallel error is not resolved here

Correct answer D

Md. Abdur Rakib

Please Press +1 Kudos,If it helps
Sentence Correction-Collection of Ron Purewal's "elliptical construction/analogies" for SC Challenges

Kudos [?]: 2402 [1], given: 220

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 34

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 08 Aug 2017, 18:21
AbdurRakib wrote:
(A) one of the first of Britain’s national museums seeking support from ......>indicated only one museum,but there are two museums and seeking is not paralled with the non-underlined "to increase"
(B) one of Britain’s first national museums seeking support of .........>indicated only one museum,but there are two museums and seeking is not paralleled with the non-underlined "to increase"
(C) among Britain’s first national museums to seek support of ........>Singular object required (presence of "was" in the non-underlined part indicated subject is singular)
(D)among the first of Britain’s national museums to seek support from .......>Correct for resolving all the issues arose in incorrect answer choices and "to seek" is parallel ed with the non-underlined "to increase"
(E) among Britain’s first national museums that have sought the support of .......>Singular object required (presence of "was" in the non-underlined part indicated subject is singular) and existing parallel error is not resolved here

Correct answer D

Hi Adbur,

Your reply is convincing hence looking forward to learn from your post, Can you please help a dumb person like me to understand verb and object rules
Singular Verb and Its Object rule, the books and links I have read has not mentioned about the Verb and Object rule :-(
Also help to understand what is the parallelism between "To Seek" (hope the infinitive form is "To See") and To "Inspire" in the option D as I can see the Parallel indicator as From...to

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 34

Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 262

GMAT 1: 670 Q44 V38
GMAT 2: 680 Q44 V39
GPA: 3.9

Show Tags

New post 08 Aug 2017, 21:28
A,B,E can easily be eliminated.

In C, "among Britain’s first national museums to seek support of" seems as if there is a group of "first national museums" in Britain and the museums in question are a part of those "first" national museums, which is not the intended meaning.

D wins.

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 262

Re: Although it was once funded entirely by the government, the   [#permalink] 08 Aug 2017, 21:28

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4   5   [ 88 posts ]