It is currently 19 Sep 2017, 05:01

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Although many claim, rightfully so, that selfish interests

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Status: Do and Die!!
Joined: 15 Sep 2010
Posts: 314

Kudos [?]: 575 [0], given: 193

Although many claim, rightfully so, that selfish interests [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Oct 2010, 14:42
3
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  45% (medium)

Question Stats:

63% (01:34) correct 37% (01:50) wrong based on 342 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Although many claim, rightfully so, that selfish interests dictate policy in the United States government’s international aid programs, and that such aid is used to support right-wing dictatorships, it is nevertheless true that these programs bring much-needed food and other life giving commodities to destitute, innocent people

Which of the following, if true, is most damaging to the argument above?

A: The distribution of food and medicines in these foreign countries is always controlled by government officials, who invariably use them for political and personal rewards.

B: Literacy textbooks prepared under the direction of the United States Central Intelligence Agency include lessons on the disadvantages of communism.

C: Most of the food used in these programs is from crops purchased by the American government from American farmers through subsidy programs designed to improve the American economy.

D: In countries that do not receive aid from the United States, thousands die each year from starvation and disease.

E: Governments classified as right wing receive over 78 percent of the total U.S. expenditures for international development programs; governments classified as socialist receive less than 12 percent.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

_________________

I'm the Dumbest of All !!


Last edited by whiplash2411 on 03 Oct 2010, 17:08, edited 4 times in total.
Formatting Errors Rectified.

Kudos [?]: 575 [0], given: 193

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 25 Jul 2010
Posts: 140

Kudos [?]: 546 [0], given: 29

Re: US goverment [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Oct 2010, 15:03
I mistakenly narrowed down the answer to C.

Kudos [?]: 546 [0], given: 29

3 KUDOS received
Ms. Big Fat Panda
Ms. Big Fat Panda
User avatar
Status: Three Down.
Joined: 09 Jun 2010
Posts: 1916

Kudos [?]: 2176 [3], given: 210

Concentration: General Management, Nonprofit
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: US goverment [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Oct 2010, 17:19
3
This post received
KUDOS
Conclusion: The international aid programs help the destitute people.

shrive555 wrote:
Although many claim, rightfully so, that selfish interests dictate policy in the United States government’s international aid programs, and that such aid is used to support right-wing dictatorships, it is nevertheless true that these programs bring much-needed food and other life giving commodities to destitute, innocent people

Which of the following, if true, is most damaging to the argument above?

A: The distribution of food and medicines in these foreign countries is always controlled by government officials, who invariably use them for political and personal rewards. This is correct, since it directly weakens the conclusion. If the foreign aid in these countries get controlled by the officials who use them for political rewards, then the aid isn't really going to the destitute people it was meant to help.

B: Literacy textbooks prepared under the direction of the United States Central Intelligence Agency include lessons on the disadvantages of communism. Does this have ANYTHING to do with what's asked? No. Incorrect.

C: Most of the food used in these programs is from crops purchased by the American government from American farmers through subsidy programs designed to improve the American economy. Where the crop comes from is immaterial. We are told that the aid helps the destitute people. Can you say, that just because the crops

D: In countries that do not receive aid from the United States, thousands die each year from starvation and disease. We are not concerned about countries that don't receive aid. Irrelevant.

E: Governments classified as right wing receive over 78 percent of the total U.S. expenditures for international development programs; governments classified as socialist receive less than 12 percent.Aagain, out of scope and irrelevant

Kudos [?]: 2176 [3], given: 210

Manager
Manager
avatar
Status: ISB, Hyderabad
Joined: 25 Jul 2010
Posts: 171

Kudos [?]: 55 [0], given: 15

WE 1: 4 years Software Product Development
WE 2: 3 years ERP Consulting
Re: US goverment [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Oct 2010, 20:27
Straight A. I think thats the only option that makes sense.
_________________

-AD

Kudos [?]: 55 [0], given: 15

Intern
Intern
User avatar
Status: it won't happen in one day but it'll happen one day
Joined: 22 May 2010
Posts: 43

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 4

Re: US goverment [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Oct 2010, 20:51
Quote:
Which of the following, if true, is most damaging to the argument above?


hmmm.......its clearly A
it states...these programs bring much-needed food and other life giving commodities to destitute, innocent people...but what if those who control the distribution use them for political and personal gains and it never reaches the needy.It would take the wind out of the argument.
_________________

Life is all about ass; you're either covering it, laughing it off, kicking it, kissing it, busting it, trying to get a piece of it, or behaving like one.

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 4

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 16 Apr 2009
Posts: 319

Kudos [?]: 151 [1], given: 14

Re: US goverment [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Oct 2010, 07:37
1
This post received
KUDOS
This is a weaken question

find the conclusion and then the choice that weakens the conclusion

conclusion:-
it is nevertheless true that these programs bring much-needed food and other life giving commodities to destitute, innocent people

A -The distribution of food and medicines in these foreign countries is always controlled by government officials, who invariably use them for political and personal rewards. directly weakens this conclusions . if the distribution is controlled by officials who use them for personal rewards then this may not be helping innocent people

rest all choices does not weaken the conclusion .
Ans:A
_________________

Always tag your question

Kudos [?]: 151 [1], given: 14

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 15 Apr 2010
Posts: 163

Kudos [?]: 82 [0], given: 3

Re: US goverment [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Oct 2010, 10:29
A: The distribution of food and medicines in these foreign countries is always controlled by government officials, who invariably use them for political and personal rewards. ==> Correct.

B: Literacy textbooks prepared under the direction of the United States Central Intelligence Agency include lessons on the disadvantages of communism. ==> No effect

C: Most of the food used in these programs is from crops purchased by the American government from American farmers through subsidy programs designed to improve the American economy. ==> Strengthen. Whatever be it, US govt programs bring much-needed food.
D: In countries that do not receive aid from the United States, thousands die each year from starvation and disease. ==> Strengthen

E: Governments classified as right wing receive over 78 percent of the total U.S. expenditures for international development programs; governments classified as socialist receive less than 12 percent. ==> No effect

Kudos [?]: 82 [0], given: 3

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 23 May 2010
Posts: 35

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

Re: US goverment [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Oct 2010, 20:30
A seems correct per your descriptions.

E seems to actual strengthen arguement (does not seem out-of-scope or irrelevant, but supportive of argument)

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 02 Oct 2010
Posts: 147

Kudos [?]: 49 [0], given: 29

Re: US goverment [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Dec 2010, 12:35
SJD wrote:
A seems correct per your descriptions.

E seems to actual strengthen arguement (does not seem out-of-scope or irrelevant, but supportive of argument)


So whats the answer Aor E..

Kudos [?]: 49 [0], given: 29

SVP
SVP
avatar
Joined: 16 Nov 2010
Posts: 1605

Kudos [?]: 581 [0], given: 36

Location: United States (IN)
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: US goverment [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Mar 2011, 03:17
The answer is A.
_________________

Formula of Life -> Achievement/Potential = k * Happiness (where k is a constant)

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Kudos [?]: 581 [0], given: 36

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 06 Sep 2010
Posts: 114

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 6

Re: US goverment [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Mar 2011, 19:41
Pretty straight forward.. A..

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 6

5 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Status: PLAY HARD OR GO HOME
Joined: 25 Feb 2014
Posts: 180

Kudos [?]: 176 [5], given: 623

Location: India
Concentration: General Management, Finance
Schools: Mannheim
GMAT 1: 560 Q46 V22
GPA: 3.1
GMAT ToolKit User
Although many claim, rightfully so, that selfish interests d [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Jul 2014, 02:21
5
This post received
KUDOS
2
This post was
BOOKMARKED
3) Although many claim, rightfully so, that selfish interests dictate policy in the United States government’s international aid programs, and that such aid is used to support right-wing dictatorships, it is nevertheless true that these programs bring much-needed food and other life-giving commodities to destitute, innocent people.

Which of the following, if true, is most damaging to the argument above?


A)The distribution of food and medicines in these foreign countries is always controlled by government officials, who invariably use them for political and personal rewards.


B)Literacy textbooks prepared under the direction of the United States Central Intelligence Agency include lessons on the disadvantages of communism.


C)Most of the food used in these programs is from crops purchased by the American government from American farmers through subsidy programs designed to improve the American economy.


D)In countries that do not receive aid from the United States, thousands die each year from starvation and disease.


E)Governments classified as right wing receive over 78 percent of the total U.S. expenditures for international development programs; governments classified as socialist receive less than 12 percent.







ALL THE BEST GUYS..HOPE EVRYONE GETS IT RIGHT..!! :-D :-D ...IN DEEP NEED OF KUDOS BTW :-D :-D
_________________

ITS NOT OVER , UNTIL I WIN ! I CAN, AND I WILL .PERIOD.

Kudos [?]: 176 [5], given: 623

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 30 May 2014
Posts: 3

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 7

Location: United States
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Although many claim, rightfully so, that selfish interests [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Jul 2014, 08:13
I have a stupid question.

The question asks to weaken the argument and not the conclusion. The argument wouldn´t be that this policy is selfish and helps only dictators?

Should I always go straight to weaken the conclusion in this kind of question, no matter if the question refers to conclusion or argument?

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 7

Director
Director
User avatar
G
Joined: 23 Jan 2013
Posts: 603

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 41

Schools: Cambridge'16
CAT Tests
Re: Although many claim, rightfully so, that selfish interests [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Oct 2014, 01:12
Luizonho wrote:
I have a stupid question.

The question asks to weaken the argument and not the conclusion. The argument wouldn´t be that this policy is selfish and helps only dictators?

Should I always go straight to weaken the conclusion in this kind of question, no matter if the question refers to conclusion or argument?




Conclusion is a part of argument, moreover, there is no argument without conclusion. You are right, when you see such questions, go directly conclusion this is what answer choices should weaken or strengthen

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 41

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 10 Apr 2008
Posts: 27

Kudos [?]: 16 [1], given: 111

Location: India
GMAT 1: 560 Q39 V28
WE: Consulting (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Although many claim, rightfully so, that selfish interests d [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Jan 2015, 04:53
1
This post received
KUDOS
From the argument, we can come to conclusion that whatever may the motive be, in the end, the program is helping needy people. Any answer that proves that these people are not getting benefited despite the aid is the right answer. Only A stand in this case. If food and medicines distributed to needy nations are not reaching the people, instead, government officials of that country are using the given aid for its own interest, then conclusion isn't true.

- A

Kudos [?]: 16 [1], given: 111

Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
User avatar
B
Joined: 22 Mar 2011
Posts: 1088

Kudos [?]: 1122 [2], given: 29

Although many claim, rightfully so, that selfish interests d [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Jan 2015, 01:06
2
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This isn't really an argument in the GMAT sense. It starts with a counterpremise that it accepts, and then it draws a conclusion that has no premise to support it. Answer choice A weakens in that it contradicts the conclusion, but you're not likely to see anything like that on the test. Also, most of the wrong answer choices are too wildly out of scope to be tempting. You're much better off studying from the Official Guide!
_________________


Dmitry Farber | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | New York


Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile |
Manhattan GMAT Reviews

Kudos [?]: 1122 [2], given: 29

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 06 Aug 2013
Posts: 92

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 17

Re: Although many claim, rightfully so, that selfish interests d [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Jun 2015, 11:31
DmitryFarber wrote:
This isn't really an argument in the GMAT sense. It starts with a counterpremise that it accepts, and then it draws a conclusion that has no premise to support it. Answer choice A weakens in that it contradicts the conclusion, but you're not likely to see anything like that on the test. Also, most of the wrong answer choices are too wildly out of scope to be tempting. You're much better off studying from the Official Guide!


Dmitry, Please confirm my understanding.
from what i can see, i can find this as the conclusion.

"selfish interests drive these policies".

if we can weaken this fact by logically saying that "selfish interests DO NOT drive these policies", i think that can be a weakener. A seemed a little to wayward for me; PERSONAL REWARDS?? That clearly created some ambiguity.

For me, I think C can be an answer. I was a little skeptical about the content of the argument as well. Your help would be appreciated..

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 17

Expert Post
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
User avatar
B
Joined: 22 Mar 2011
Posts: 1088

Kudos [?]: 1122 [0], given: 29

Re: Although many claim, rightfully so, that selfish interests d [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Aug 2015, 00:54
The problem with identifying the conclusion as "selfish interests drive these policies" is that this point runs counter to everything else the author says.

Imagine that I said "Product X is poorly made, but it has a number of useful features and is more affordable than most competing products." What is my conclusion? I start out criticizing Product X, and then I point out some good things about it. If anything, it seems that I am on the way to recommending Product X, at least in a limited fashion. However, I never do come to a conclusion, so this is not an argument.

The original "argument" is the same. It seems that the author is moving toward an endorsement of US aid programs, but no such endorsement actually occurs. In real life, we might simply guess at the author's intent, but we will never have to do that on the GMAT, As for the initial statement about selfish purposes, there is no support whatsoever for that statement. On the GMAT, an unsupported statement is always a premise (or counterpremise)--it will never be the conclusion.
_________________


Dmitry Farber | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | New York


Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile |
Manhattan GMAT Reviews

Kudos [?]: 1122 [0], given: 29

CEO
CEO
User avatar
G
Joined: 17 Jul 2014
Posts: 2588

Kudos [?]: 377 [0], given: 177

Location: United States (IL)
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Schools: Stanford '20
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.92
WE: General Management (Transportation)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Although many claim, rightfully so, that selfish interests [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Feb 2016, 12:09
shrive555 wrote:
Although many claim, rightfully so, that selfish interests dictate policy in the United States government’s international aid programs, and that such aid is used to support right-wing dictatorships, it is nevertheless true that these programs bring much-needed food and other life giving commodities to destitute, innocent people

Which of the following, if true, is most damaging to the argument above?

A: The distribution of food and medicines in these foreign countries is always controlled by government officials, who invariably use them for political and personal rewards.

B: Literacy textbooks prepared under the direction of the United States Central Intelligence Agency include lessons on the disadvantages of communism.

C: Most of the food used in these programs is from crops purchased by the American government from American farmers through subsidy programs designed to improve the American economy.

D: In countries that do not receive aid from the United States, thousands die each year from starvation and disease.

E: Governments classified as right wing receive over 78 percent of the total U.S. expenditures for international development programs; governments classified as socialist receive less than 12 percent.


the argument is in favor of aid programs for the countries in which right-wing dictatorships are present.
to weaken the argument, we can say that the benefits are not distributed accordingly, and dictators use these sources to increase their popularity, and thus maintain the power.
A exactly says this.

Kudos [?]: 377 [0], given: 177

Manager
Manager
User avatar
B
Joined: 22 May 2017
Posts: 51

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 157

GMAT 1: 580 Q41 V29
GMAT 2: 580 Q43 V27
Re: Although many claim, rightfully so, that selfish interests d [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Jul 2017, 06:18
I mark C as an answer, which is irrelevant as B,D and E.
we need to mark a weakener for this question, and only weakener, we can suggest from above choices is ANSWER-A
Two conclusion-
USA gives these aid for their benefits --->(ring wings)--> but govt officials use this aid for their benefit (weakener).
Helps in removal of poverty-->govt officials use this aid for their benefit (weakener).

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 157

Re: Although many claim, rightfully so, that selfish interests d   [#permalink] 14 Jul 2017, 06:18

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 21 posts ] 

    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
11 EXPERTS_POSTS_IN_THIS_TOPIC Many critics claim that federally mandated car safety sajini 7 27 Nov 2015, 08:25
12 Many experts in international trade claim that providing DYNAMITE 19 10 Dec 2015, 10:49
16 Raymond: Although some people claim it is inconsistent to GMATFIGHTER 19 05 Jun 2016, 23:17
4 Max: Although doing so aurobindomahanty 1 02 May 2017, 08:34
3 EXPERTS_POSTS_IN_THIS_TOPIC Although it is sometimes claimed that consuming caffeine at dvinoth86 8 08 Jul 2017, 23:24
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Although many claim, rightfully so, that selfish interests

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.