Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 17:23 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 17:23

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 605-655 Levelx   Comparisonsx   Pronounsx   Verb Tense/Formx                     
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 496 [431]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63649 [136]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 100 [19]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [3]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Re: Although Napoleons army entered Russia with far more supplies than [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Dear Friends,

Here is a detailed explanation to this question-
AugiTh wrote:
Although Napoleon’s army entered Russia with far more supplies than they had in their previous campaigns, it had provisions for only twenty-four days.

(A) they had in their previous campaigns
(B) their previous campaigns had had
(C) they had for any previous campaign
(D) in their previous campaigns
(E) for any previous campaign

Concepts tested here: Pronouns + Tenses + Redundancy/Awkwardness

• Collective nouns (such as “army” in this sentence) are always singular.
• When the chronology is clear because of term such "before/after/when/earlier/later…" or because of clear mention of dates, use past perfect tense is not required, though not incorrect either.

A: This answer choice incorrectly refers to the singular noun “army” with the plural pronoun “they”; please remember, collective nouns (such as “army” in this sentence) are always singular. Further, Option A needlessly uses the past perfect tense verb “had been”, rendering it needlessly wordy and awkward; this usage is unnecessary, as the word “previous” clearly denotes the order of events; remember, when the chronology is clear because of terms such as "before/after/when/earlier/later"…" or because of clear mention of dates, use past perfect tense is not required, though not incorrect either.

B: This answer choice incorrectly refers to the singular noun “army” with the plural pronoun “they”; please remember, collective nouns (such as “army” in this sentence) are always singular. Further, Option B needlessly uses the past perfect tense verb “had been”, rendering it needlessly wordy and awkward; this usage is unnecessary, as the word “previous” clearly denotes the order of events; remember, when the chronology is clear because of terms such as "before/after/when/earlier/later"…" or because of clear mention of dates, use past perfect tense is not required, though not incorrect either.

C: This answer choice incorrectly refers to the singular noun “army” with the plural pronoun “they”; please remember, collective nouns (such as “army” in this sentence) are always singular. Further, Option C needlessly uses the past perfect tense verb “had been”, rendering it needlessly wordy and awkward; this usage is unnecessary, as the word “previous” clearly denotes the order of events; remember, when the chronology is clear because of terms such as "before/after/when/earlier/later"…" or because of clear mention of dates, use past perfect tense is not required, though not incorrect either.

D: This answer choice incorrectly refers to the singular noun “army” with the plural pronoun “their”; please remember, collective nouns (such as “army” in this sentence) are always singular.

E: Correct. This answer choice avoids the pronoun error seen in Options A, B, C, and D, as it employs no pronouns. Further, Option D is free of any awkwardness or redundancy.

Hence, E is the best answer choice.

All the best!
Experts' Global Team
General Discussion
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [13]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Re: Although Napoleon’s army entered Russia with far more supplies than [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
This is the modified version of the OG topic, given below.

Although Napoleon's army entered Russia with far more supplies than they had in their previous campaigns, it had provisions for only twenty-four days.

The correct answer for the above original version is E, which is indisputable, because it is OG’s OA.

In the new version all the plural pronouns have been changed to singular pronouns. But still the OG’s correct answer namely E remains, since both choices are verbatim the same. The other choices are null and void, since no GMAT questions will have two correct answers.

But to go deep into the topic, this is a question of comparisons. More supplies are being compared with the army in A and C, campaigns in B. The comparison should be from campaign to campaign. It cannot be between the Russian campaign on one hand and all the campaigns put together on the other hand. This is like saying Simla apple has more nutrients than in other apples, an unequal comparison.So, D is gone. This leaves us with E, where campaign to campaign is compared.
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30776 [9]
Given Kudos: 632
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Re: Although Napoleon’s army entered Russia with far more supplies than [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Hi there,

Let’s stick to the official question that reads:

Although Napoleon's army entered Russia with far more supplies than they had in their previous campaigns, it had provisions for only twenty-four days.

Error Analysis:

1. Plural pronoun “they” does not agree in number with singular “army”.
2. This sentence compares “supplies” with “army”. This is not logical.

PoE:

(A) they had in their previous campaigns: Incorrect for the reasons stated above.

(B) their previous campaigns had had: Incorrect.
1. Repeats the pronoun error of choice A.
2. “supplies” has been compared with “their previous campaigns”.

(C) they had for any previous campaign: Incorrect. Repeats all the errors of choice A.

(D) in their previous campaigns: Incorrect. Plural pronoun “their” does not agree in number with singular “army”.

(E) for any previous campaign: Correct. The structure here is: …far more supplies than (supplies) for any previous campaign…

Hope this helps. :)
Thanks.
Shraddha
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 118 [3]
Given Kudos: 131
Send PM
Although Napoleon’s army entered Russia with far more supplies than [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
what is the usage of For over here ?
OG Says. "In the context of supplies for a campaign, the preposition for is preferable to the preposition in"
Please explain in detail with few examples .
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 54 [1]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Kudos
Basically every option that includes plural is wrong because "Army" is a collective noun so it is singular.
In "D." their has no antecedent .

Option "E" is perfectly correct and is parallel as it uses "for ...."

Hope it is clear ;)
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30776 [0]
Given Kudos: 632
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Expert Reply
abid1986 wrote:
tejal777 wrote:
Although Napoleon’s army entered Russia with far more supplies than they had in their previous campaigns, it had provisions for only twenty-four days.

Army is singular so eliminate a,b,c.Why is the answer e?Is'nt "d " better?

what is the usage of For over here ?
OG Says. "In the context of supplies for a campaign, the preposition for is preferable to the preposition in"
Please explain in detail with few examples .

Dear Abid,

Thank you for your query. :)

We can surely discuss the use of "for" in the correct sentence. However, before we do so, I would like to request you to kindly me send your meaning and error analysis of the original sentence. If, while solving the question, you marked some other choice as the correct answer, then I would like to request you to kindly post your analysis of that choice as well. Your analyses will provide me with an opportunity to understand your thought process and guide the discussion accordingly. Hope you'll appreciate the same.

Also, I would like to recommend that you go through the full-length video solution to this question. It is available on our blog here:https://e-gmat.com/blogs/?cat=45&paged=4

:)

Thanks,

Neeti.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 63 [1]
Given Kudos: 489
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V38
Send PM
Kudos
Hi Experts,

I understand why E is correct because of the pronoun issue. I have a comparison question for choice D:

If I re-write choice D as (pronoun issue fixed):
Although Napoleon's army entered Russia with far more supplies than in its previous campaigns, it had provisions for only twenty-four days.

Would this be correct? Based on my understanding we can infer choice D as follows:

Although Napoleon's army entered Russia with far more supplies than (supplies it had) in its previous campaigns, it had provisions for only twenty-four days.

I am trying to understand if there is any other error in D apart from the pronoun issue.

Thanks for your help!
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63649 [2]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
yt770 wrote:
Hi Experts,

I understand why E is correct because of the pronoun issue. I have a comparison question for choice D:

If I re-write choice D as (pronoun issue fixed):
Although Napoleon's army entered Russia with far more supplies than in its previous campaigns, it had provisions for only twenty-four days.

Would this be correct? Based on my understanding we can infer choice D as follows:

Although Napoleon's army entered Russia with far more supplies than (supplies it had) in its previous campaigns, it had provisions for only twenty-four days.

I am trying to understand if there is any other error in D apart from the pronoun issue.

Thanks for your help!

I could be wrong, but I don't have a problem with your revised version of the sentence. I suppose we could argue that the "for its previous campaigns" would be a little bit more direct: "supplies for its previous campaigns" seems cleaner than "supplies [it had] in its previous campaigns," but I don't think that your version is explicitly wrong. And it's hard for me to imagine that another official question would torture you over the difference between "for its previous campaigns" and "in its previous campaigns."

I hope this helps!
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 608 [1]
Given Kudos: 1348
Send PM
Hi eGmat Team,

Could you explain why "It" in question stimulus can not refer to Russia.
In my opinion sentences make sense.

Russia had provisions for only twenty-four days.
Army had provisions for only twenty-four days.

Regards,
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [2]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
ammuseeru wrote:

Hi eGmat Team,

Could you explain why "It" in question stimulus can not refer to Russia.
In my opinion sentences make sense.

Russia had provisions for only twenty-four days.
Army had provisions for only twenty-four days.

Regards,

If a pronoun that is the subject of a clause has two possible antecedents, of which one is the subject of another clause in the sentence, then by virtue of parallelsim the subject pronoun would unambigously refer to the subject antecedent.

Here you would observe that "it" and "army" are both subjects ("Russia" is not a subject), and hence "it" must refer to "army".
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 62
Send PM
Doesn't E need s for any campaign's'?
I have learned it must be plural noun with any...
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 5134 [2]
Given Kudos: 1431
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
Kudos