GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 16 Nov 2018, 05:59

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in November
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Free GMAT Strategy Webinar

November 17, 2018

November 17, 2018

07:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

Nov. 17, 7 AM PST. Aiming to score 760+? Attend this FREE session to learn how to Define your GMAT Strategy, Create your Study Plan and Master the Core Skills to excel on the GMAT.
  • GMATbuster's Weekly GMAT Quant Quiz # 9

November 17, 2018

November 17, 2018

09:00 AM PST

11:00 AM PST

Join the Quiz Saturday November 17th, 9 AM PST. The Quiz will last approximately 2 hours. Make sure you are on time or you will be at a disadvantage.

Although people in France consume fatty foods at a rate

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S
GMAT 1: 600 Q44 V27
Reviews Badge
Re: Although people in France consume fatty foods at a rate  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Apr 2016, 05:07
What if the sentence said

Although people in France consume fatty foods at a rate comparable to the one of the United States, their death rates from heart disease are far lower in France.

Would it be correct?
V
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 540 Q45 V20
GPA: 2.49
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 18 Apr 2016, 06:21
iliavko wrote:
What if the sentence said

Although people in France consume fatty foods at a rate comparable to the one of the United States, their death rates from heart disease are far lower in France.

Would it be correct?

IMO NO. This one is slightly different from those where possessive pronoun issue is found. if we read carefully "rate comparable to the one of the united states" it looks like the rate is compared to ANY rate of the united states. Also 'that of' is preferred in such comparisons. grammatically sentence may stand but rhetorically not.

---------------------------------------------------------------
Target - 720-740
Project PS Butler - https://gmatclub.com/forum/project-ps-butler-practice-everyday-280904.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/information-on-new-gmat-esr-report-beta-221111.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/list-of-one-year-full-time-mba-programs-222103.html

Manhattan Prep Instructor

Show Tags

New post 20 Apr 2016, 13:25
I agree with the post above. We would see 'that of' in that type of construction.
KW

Posted from my mobile device

Kyle Widdison | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | Utah

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile

Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 21 Apr 2016, 02:54
KyleWiddison wrote:
I agree with the post above. We would see 'that of' in that type of construction.

Kyle, what would "that" refer to in that case?
Retired Moderator
S
Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 21 Apr 2016, 03:55
sukanyar wrote:
KyleWiddison wrote:

Kyle, what would "that" refer to in that case?

The pronoun "that" would refer to "rate".

Although people in France consume fatty foods at a rate comparable to that (the rate) of the United States, their death rates from heart disease are far lower in France.
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 21 Apr 2016, 04:23
sayantanc2k wrote:

Although people in France consume fatty foods at a rate comparable to that (the rate) of the United States, their death rates from heart disease are far lower in France.

Thanks sayantanc2k for your reply. So, "the rate of the United States" seems unclear to me. I mean, is that valid? Do countries have a "rate" :lol: ?
Math Expert
V
Although people in France consume fatty foods at a rate  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Apr 2016, 04:36
sukanyar wrote:
sayantanc2k wrote:

Thanks sayantanc2k for your reply. So, "the rate of the United States" seems unclear to me. I mean, is that valid? Do countries have a "rate" :lol: ?

You are correct, we cannot miss out certain words because it makes the sentence illogical in comparison..
the correct sentence could be
Although people in France consume fatty foods at a rate comparable to that (the rate) of the people in the United States, their death rates from heart disease are far lower in France.[/quote]

1) Absolute modulus : http://gmatclub.com/forum/absolute-modulus-a-better-understanding-210849.html#p1622372
2)Combination of similar and dissimilar things : http://gmatclub.com/forum/topic215915.html
3) effects of arithmetic operations : https://gmatclub.com/forum/effects-of-arithmetic-operations-on-fractions-269413.html

GMAT online Tutor

Retired Moderator
S
Although people in France consume fatty foods at a rate  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Apr 2016, 10:36
sukanyar wrote:
sayantanc2k wrote:

Your observation is correct. As chetan2u rightly explained, the preposition should be "in" (to be parallel with "in France"), not "of". I missed out on that. :)
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 21 Apr 2016, 20:10
sayantanc2k wrote:
Your observation is correct. As chetan2u rightly explained, the preposition should be "in" (to be parallel with "in France"), not "of". I missed out on that. :)

But even with "in", how do we know what "rate" is being talked about?
Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 21 Apr 2016, 20:19
sukanyar wrote:
sayantanc2k wrote:

But even with "in", how do we know what "rate" is being talked about?

Hi,
we have just spoken of ONLY one kind of rate in the entire sentence, so the rate would logically refer back to its earlier antecedents and also usage of "comparable to" refers to the previous RATE being talked about..

1) Absolute modulus : http://gmatclub.com/forum/absolute-modulus-a-better-understanding-210849.html#p1622372
2)Combination of similar and dissimilar things : http://gmatclub.com/forum/topic215915.html
3) effects of arithmetic operations : https://gmatclub.com/forum/effects-of-arithmetic-operations-on-fractions-269413.html

GMAT online Tutor

Show Tags

New post 26 Apr 2016, 14:30
sukanyar wrote:
sayantanc2k wrote:

Responding to a PM here.

"That" as a pronoun can serve as a "new copy" of a previously mentioned noun. In this case, we are trying to compare the separate rates - France's (death) rate and the United States' (death) rate. The rates are separate, but we don't want to repeat the use of rate so we use "that" to represent the US' rate.

Here is another example:
The money spent on food for three days at Disneyland is slightly less than THAT spent for an entire month at home (but only slightly).

Here "that" is referring to a different pile of money spent on food for a month, but it is still money so using "that" is appropriate.

KW
[Yes, I did just make a trip to Disneyland :) ]

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile

Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 26 Apr 2016, 20:11
KyleWiddison wrote:
"That" as a pronoun can serve as a "new copy" of a previously mentioned noun. In this case, we are trying to compare the separate rates - France's (death) rate and the United States' (death) rate. The rates are separate, but we don't want to repeat the use of rate so we use "that" to represent the US' rate.

Thanks for responding to the PM Kyle, this might be a typo, because the sentence does not seem to be comparing death rate, but rate at which fatty foods are consumed.

Show Tags

New post 28 Apr 2016, 23:28
There are actually two sets of rates that are involved. You are correct that ultimately we are comparing the death rates but the rates of consumption are included to compare how those rates impact the death rates. It may be a bit tricky to keep straight, but including two sets of rates in the sentence is totally legimate.
KW

Posted from my mobile device

Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 29 Apr 2016, 00:24
KyleWiddison wrote:
the rates of consumption are included to compare how those rates impact the death rates.

Thanks Kyle. That's what is confusing me. There is no mention of "rate of consumption" in the sentence and so, the following sentence would be incorrect:

Although people in France consume fatty foods at a rate comparable to that of the United States, their death rates from heart disease are far lower in France.

that is meant to refer to "rate of consumption of fatty foods", but this is not present in the sentence From my class, I was told that the noun must be present in the sentence in the same form (though I might have mis-interpreted or mis-understood the instructor).

Show Tags

New post 29 Apr 2016, 17:07
The pronoun "that" is more flexible and can be used to represent an idea / phrase. Take for example this other GMAT question: lacking-information-about-energy-use-people-tend-to-81026.html. "That" can be used to represent "the amount of energy used" but "it" cannot because "it" must have a noun it replaces.

KW

Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 29 Apr 2016, 17:55
Hello Kyle, in the example you have stated, "the amount of energy used" is present in the sentence.

However, in this example, "rate of consumption of fatty foods" is "not" present in the sentence. So, if you can give an example where "that" is referring to something that is not present in the sentence, it would help me clear this doubt.
Retired Moderator
S

Show Tags

New post 13 May 2016, 10:15
sukanyar wrote:
Hello Kyle, in the example you have stated, "the amount of energy used" is present in the sentence.

However, in this example, "rate of consumption of fatty foods" is "not" present in the sentence. So, if you can give an example where "that" is referring to something that is not present in the sentence, it would help me clear this doubt.

Could you please elaborate your query? There is no "that"(creating a new copy) in the correct option.
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 17 May 2016, 04:59
sayantanc2k wrote:
Could you please elaborate your query? There is no "that"(creating a new copy) in the correct option.

Hi sayantanc2k, thanks for your help. if you scroll few posts up, experts have said that the following "modified" sentence would be correct:

Although people in France consume fatty foods at a rate comparable to that in the United States, their death rates from heart disease are far lower in France.

My question is: In the above sentence, what would "that" refer to? I don't think "that" can just refer to "rate", because then it will not be clear "rate of what?".
Retired Moderator
S

Show Tags

New post 18 May 2016, 07:34
sukanyar wrote:
sayantanc2k wrote:

Hi sayantanc2k, thanks for your help. if you scroll few posts up, experts have said that the following "modified" sentence would be correct:

Although people in France consume fatty foods at a rate comparable to that in the United States, their death rates from heart disease are far lower in France.

My question is: In the above sentence, what would "that" refer to? I don't think "that" can just refer to "rate", because then it will not be clear "rate of what?".

Still I am not clear where exactly lies your doubt. Reading the posts it appears that you have already understood that "that" refers to "rate"... that's absolutely correct - but somehow you do not agree that "that" can JUST refer to "rate". Also it is very evident from the first part of the sentence that the "rate" refers to the consumption of fatty foods : "people in France consume fatty foods at a rate". Then why are you still not convinced that "that" is referring to the "rate" at which people consume food?
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 18 May 2016, 09:52
sayantanc2k wrote:
it is very evident from the first part of the sentence that the "rate" refers to the consumption of fatty foods : "people in France consume fatty foods at a rate". Then why are you still not convinced that "that" is referring to the "rate" at which people consume food?

Hi sayantanc2k, this is exactly my doubt. Ideally, "that" should be referring to "rate of consumption of fatty foods" (and not just to "rate" because then it would not be clear "rate of what??).

However, this noun phrase "rate of consumption of fatty foods" is not present in the sentence. So, how can "that" refer to a Noun phrase that is not even present in the sentence? I remember it was told in the class that the noun must be present in the sentence in the same form. But may be I did not understand the instructor correctly, hence wanted to clarify.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Although people in France consume fatty foods at a rate &nbs [#permalink] 18 May 2016, 09:52

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3    Next  [ 44 posts ] 

Although people in France consume fatty foods at a rate

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap