It is currently 10 Dec 2017, 20:59

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Although people in France consume fatty foods at a rate

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 06 Sep 2013
Posts: 1966

Kudos [?]: 757 [0], given: 355

Concentration: Finance
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Although people in France consume fatty foods at a rate [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Oct 2013, 11:00
1
This post was
BOOKMARKED
eybrj2 wrote:
Although people in France consume fatty foods at a rate comparable to the United States, their death rates from heart disease are far lower in France.

A. Same
B. people in France amd the United States consume fatty foods at about the same rate, the
C. fatty foods are consumed by people in France at a comparable rate to the United States's, their
D. the rate of fatty foods consumed in France and the United States is about the same, the
E. the rate of people consuming fatty foods is about the same in France and the United States, the




""of people consuming" is incorrect; you can't write "of + NOUN + VERBing" if the action of VERBing is the focus of the preposition" This is from Manhatten website.

So what the explanation is saying is that in the sturucture,
N1 + preposition + N2 + V, if the action of V is the focus of the preposition, N2 has to be possessive, and if N2 itself is the focus of the preposition, N2 doesn't have to be possessive?

Do I understand properly?

So...if I changed this into "the rate of people's consuming fatty food, could E be correct?


Also, in B, how is not using "in" before the U.S. ok? I guess that it might be ambigous because it could mean that people in france and the U.S (not people in the U.S.) consume~.


Any Manhattan GMAT expert want to give this one a try? I find that comment made by the author insteresting and would clearly benefit for a more thorough analysis from professional perspective

Thanks a lot
Cheers
J :)

Kudos [?]: 757 [0], given: 355

Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesMath Revolution Discount CodesJamboree Discount Codes
Expert Post
3 KUDOS received
Manhattan Prep Instructor
User avatar
Joined: 30 Apr 2012
Posts: 798

Kudos [?]: 856 [3], given: 5

Re: Although people in France consume fatty foods at a rate [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Oct 2013, 22:33
3
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
6
This post was
BOOKMARKED
The issue here is one of meaning. When we say "the rate of people consuming" we have a phrase that doesn't really make sense. The noun is "the rate" and the prepositional modifier + participle should give us additional information about "the rate". When we insert an additional noun "people" in the prepositional modifier + preposition we don't have clear meaning for what "the rate" is about. Is it the rate of "consuming" or "people"? By changing the noun to a possessive modifier, we are clear that the rate deals with "consuming", not "people". HOWEVER, I would not expect to see the phrase "the rate of people's consuming" on the GMAT because it is wordy and awkward. The proper phrasing would be "the rate of consumption", which is clear and concise. [Interesting to see only awkward/incorrect answer choices using "rate"]

As for B, you don't have to repeat the preposition in order to stay parallel. Don't get confused by the article "the" before United States because the official name of the US is "The United States of America" and the shortened version requires the article - The US. Insert a different country name that doesn't require "the" beforehand and you can see that the parallelism is obvious as written and the insertion of another "in" definitely seems like overkill - "in France and Germany" vs. "in France and in Germany".

KW
_________________


Kyle Widdison | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | Utah


Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile



Kudos [?]: 856 [3], given: 5

Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 06 Sep 2013
Posts: 1966

Kudos [?]: 757 [0], given: 355

Concentration: Finance
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Although people in France consume fatty foods at a rate [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Oct 2013, 04:22
Thanks a lot Kyle, that was clear

Posted from my mobile device

Kudos [?]: 757 [0], given: 355

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 03 Dec 2012
Posts: 329

Kudos [?]: 191 [0], given: 291

Re: Although people in France consume fatty foods at a rate [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Nov 2013, 02:40
So we have to choose between incorrect comparison and incorrect idioms, what do we choose? B or D

Kudos [?]: 191 [0], given: 291

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 15 Sep 2013
Posts: 44

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 26

Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 680 Q47 V36
GMAT 2: 740 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.65
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: Although people in France consume fatty foods at a rate [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Aug 2014, 08:47
I went for D while solving the question.... after reading the explanation the answer seems to be B ... still i am a bit confused regarding the concept of " rate of fatty acid consumed"... y is it wrong...
_________________

Please +1 KUDOS if my post helped you in any way

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 26

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 02 Jun 2014
Posts: 29

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 13

Location: United States
Schools: ISB '16
GPA: 3.07
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Although people in France consume fatty foods at a rate [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Aug 2014, 13:26
B is the right answer
It makes the most sense and is free from error.
Posted from my mobile device

Posted from my mobile device

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 13

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 22 Feb 2009
Posts: 207

Kudos [?]: 182 [0], given: 148

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Although people in France consume fatty foods at a rate [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Aug 2014, 23:24
cruiser wrote:
Although people in France consume fatty foods at a rate comparable to the United States, their death rates from heart disease are far lower in France.

(A) people in France consume fatty foods at a rate comparable to the United States, their
(B) people in France and the United States consume fatty foods at about the same rate, the
(C) fatty foods are consumed by people in France at a comparable rate to the United States’s, their
(D) the rate of fatty foods consumed in France and the United States is about the same, the
(E) the rate of people consuming fatty foods is about the same in France and the United States, the


2/3 split "the" and "their". "their" will make readers confused between people in France and the US -> the is correct
B, D, E are remained. The rate of food or rate of people is incorrect, should be the rate of consuming food. So B is correct.

Hope it's clear!
_________________

.........................................................................
+1 Kudos please, if you like my post

Kudos [?]: 182 [0], given: 148

1 KUDOS received
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 03 Feb 2013
Posts: 943

Kudos [?]: 1086 [1], given: 548

Location: India
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.88
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
Reviews Badge
Re: Although people in France consume fatty foods at a rate [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Aug 2014, 01:33
1
This post received
KUDOS
cruiser wrote:
Although people in France consume fatty foods at a rate comparable to the United States, their death rates from heart disease are far lower in France.

(A) people in France consume fatty foods at a rate comparable to the United States, their
(B) people in France and the United States consume fatty foods at about the same rate, the
(C) fatty foods are consumed by people in France at a comparable rate to the United States’s, their
(D) the rate of fatty foods consumed in France and the United States is about the same, the
(E) the rate of people consuming fatty foods is about the same in France and the United States, the


Meaning: People in France consumes at a similar rate compared to people in US, the death rate of people in US is far lower than that of France.

(A) people in France consume fatty foods at a rate comparable to the United States, their
Comparison error -> Incorrect
(B) people in France and the United States consume fatty foods at about the same rate, the
-> Looks good.
(C) fatty foods are consumed by people in France at a comparable rate to the United States’s, their
Only issue I can find is voice is changed. Is there any other error?

(D) the rate of fatty foods consumed in France and the United States is about the same, the
rate is consumed? Not correct "Rate at which" would be better

(E) the rate of people consuming fatty foods is about the same in France and the United States, the
rate of people -> Changes the meaning. The original sentence said people in both countries are consuming fatty food at a similar rate. This sentence says rate of people is same in both the countries.
_________________

Thanks,
Kinjal
My Debrief : http://gmatclub.com/forum/hardwork-never-gets-unrewarded-for-ever-189267.html#p1449379
My Application Experience : http://gmatclub.com/forum/hardwork-never-gets-unrewarded-for-ever-189267-40.html#p1516961
Linkedin : https://www.linkedin.com/in/kinjal-das/

Please click on Kudos, if you think the post is helpful

Kudos [?]: 1086 [1], given: 548

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
e-GMAT Representative
User avatar
S
Joined: 02 Nov 2011
Posts: 2384

Kudos [?]: 9414 [1], given: 347

Re: Although people in France consume fatty foods at a rate [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Aug 2014, 13:22
1
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
kinjiGC wrote:
cruiser wrote:
Although people in France consume fatty foods at a rate comparable to the United States, their death rates from heart disease are far lower in France.

(A) people in France consume fatty foods at a rate comparable to the United States, their
(B) people in France and the United States consume fatty foods at about the same rate, the
(C) fatty foods are consumed by people in France at a comparable rate to the United States’s, their
(D) the rate of fatty foods consumed in France and the United States is about the same, the
(E) the rate of people consuming fatty foods is about the same in France and the United States, the


Meaning: People in France consumes at a similar rate compared to people in US, the death rate of people in US is far lower than that of France.

(A) people in France consume fatty foods at a rate comparable to the United States, their
Comparison error -> Incorrect
(B) people in France and the United States consume fatty foods at about the same rate, the
-> Looks good.
(C) fatty foods are consumed by people in France at a comparable rate to the United States’s, their
Only issue I can find is voice is changed. Is there any other error?

(D) the rate of fatty foods consumed in France and the United States is about the same, the
rate is consumed? Not correct "Rate at which" would be better

(E) the rate of people consuming fatty foods is about the same in France and the United States, the
rate of people -> Changes the meaning. The original sentence said people in both countries are consuming fatty food at a similar rate. This sentence says rate of people is same in both the countries.


Hi kinjiGC,

Thanks for posting your doubt here. :-)

Your analysis of this question looks pretty good. Keep up the good work. :-)

There is just one point that I want to add here. Use of "their" is not correct in Choices A and C. The pronoun "their" in both the choices seems to refer to the "people in France". This reference certainly makes the latter part of the sentence illogical.

Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks.
SJ
_________________












| '4 out of Top 5' Instructors on gmatclub | 70 point improvement guarantee | www.e-gmat.com

Kudos [?]: 9414 [1], given: 347

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 28 Aug 2013
Posts: 97

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 23

Location: India
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
Schools: Insead '14, ISB '15
GMAT Date: 08-28-2014
GPA: 3.86
WE: Supply Chain Management (Manufacturing)
Re: Although people in France consume fatty foods at a rate [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Aug 2014, 05:24
cruiser wrote:
Although people in France consume fatty foods at a rate comparable to the United States, their death rates from heart disease are far lower in France.

(A) people in France consume fatty foods at a rate comparable to the United States, their
(B) people in France and the United States consume fatty foods at about the same rate, the
(C) fatty foods are consumed by people in France at a comparable rate to the United States’s, their
(D) the rate of fatty foods consumed in France and the United States is about the same, the
(E) the rate of people consuming fatty foods is about the same in France and the United States, the


A : wrong comparison < People in France compared with US >
B : Correct
C : use of apostrophe S is wrong, Parallelism in structure although X, Y wrong
D : Passive construction
E : Meaning distorted
_________________

G-prep1 540 --> Kaplan 580-->Veritas 640-->MGMAT 590 -->MGMAT 2 640 --> MGMAT 3 640 ---> MGMAT 4 650 -->MGMAT 5 680 -- >GMAT prep 1 570

Give your best shot...rest leave upto Mahadev, he is the extractor of all negativity in the world !!

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 23

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 15 Aug 2013
Posts: 298

Kudos [?]: 83 [0], given: 23

Re: Although people in France consume fatty foods at a rate [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Oct 2014, 13:11
egmat wrote:
kinjiGC wrote:
cruiser wrote:
Although people in France consume fatty foods at a rate comparable to the United States, their death rates from heart disease are far lower in France.

(A) people in France consume fatty foods at a rate comparable to the United States, their
(B) people in France and the United States consume fatty foods at about the same rate, the
(C) fatty foods are consumed by people in France at a comparable rate to the United States’s, their
(D) the rate of fatty foods consumed in France and the United States is about the same, the
(E) the rate of people consuming fatty foods is about the same in France and the United States, the


Meaning: People in France consumes at a similar rate compared to people in US, the death rate of people in US is far lower than that of France.

(A) people in France consume fatty foods at a rate comparable to the United States, their
Comparison error -> Incorrect
(B) people in France and the United States consume fatty foods at about the same rate, the
-> Looks good.
(C) fatty foods are consumed by people in France at a comparable rate to the United States’s, their
Only issue I can find is voice is changed. Is there any other error?

(D) the rate of fatty foods consumed in France and the United States is about the same, the
rate is consumed? Not correct "Rate at which" would be better

(E) the rate of people consuming fatty foods is about the same in France and the United States, the
rate of people -> Changes the meaning. The original sentence said people in both countries are consuming fatty food at a similar rate. This sentence says rate of people is same in both the countries.


Hi kinjiGC,

Thanks for posting your doubt here. :-)

Your analysis of this question looks pretty good. Keep up the good work. :-)

There is just one point that I want to add here. Use of "their" is not correct in Choices A and C. The pronoun "their" in both the choices seems to refer to the "people in France". This reference certainly makes the latter part of the sentence illogical.

Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks.
SJ


Hi e-gmat,

Question for D -- why is the meaning wrong? Doesn't it literally mean -- "(rate of) the consumption of fatty foods" -- isn't that what we want?

Thanks!

Kudos [?]: 83 [0], given: 23

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 02 Oct 2015
Posts: 22

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 298

Location: Nigeria
Schools: HEC '18, IE '19, ESADE '18
GPA: 3.2
Re: Although people in France consume fatty foods at a rate [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Dec 2015, 19:20
KyleWiddison wrote:
The issue here is one of meaning. When we say "the rate of people consuming" we have a phrase that doesn't really make sense. The noun is "the rate" and the prepositional modifier + participle should give us additional information about "the rate". When we insert an additional noun "people" in the prepositional modifier + preposition we don't have clear meaning for what "the rate" is about. Is it the rate of "consuming" or "people"? By changing the noun to a possessive modifier, we are clear that the rate deals with "consuming", not "people". HOWEVER, I would not expect to see the phrase "the rate of people's consuming" on the GMAT because it is wordy and awkward. The proper phrasing would be "the rate of consumption", which is clear and concise. [Interesting to see only awkward/incorrect answer choices using "rate"]

As for B, you don't have to repeat the preposition in order to stay parallel. Don't get confused by the article "the" before United States because the official name of the US is "The United States of America" and the shortened version requires the article - The US. Insert a different country name that doesn't require "the" beforehand and you can see that the parallelism is obvious as written and the insertion of another "in" definitely seems like overkill - "in France and Germany" vs. "in France and in Germany".

KW


Hello Kyle,hope you are good???Ok...i reside in Nigeria and am preparing to take the GMAT next year..I am using all the Manhattan strategy guides that i ordered from Amazon and i will admit,its been of much help..THANKS TO YOU GUYS..So back to the question,i am not really clear as to what the exact answer is...I am inclined to go with option E as it actually compares the rate of people consuming fatty foods in France to the rate of people consuming fatty foods in the US while option B incorrectly compares People in France and the US (not people in the US)..I just feel that the comparison here is not correct..Correct me if i am wrong..

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 298

Non-Human User
User avatar
Joined: 01 Oct 2013
Posts: 10151

Kudos [?]: 274 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: Although people in France consume fatty foods at a rate [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Dec 2015, 21:45
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Kudos [?]: 274 [0], given: 0

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 07 Apr 2012
Posts: 50

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 25

Re: Although people in France consume fatty foods at a rate [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Dec 2015, 02:06
zoskybuck wrote:
KyleWiddison wrote:
The issue here is one of meaning. When we say "the rate of people consuming" we have a phrase that doesn't really make sense. The noun is "the rate" and the prepositional modifier + participle should give us additional information about "the rate". When we insert an additional noun "people" in the prepositional modifier + preposition we don't have clear meaning for what "the rate" is about. Is it the rate of "consuming" or "people"? By changing the noun to a possessive modifier, we are clear that the rate deals with "consuming", not "people". HOWEVER, I would not expect to see the phrase "the rate of people's consuming" on the GMAT because it is wordy and awkward. The proper phrasing would be "the rate of consumption", which is clear and concise. [Interesting to see only awkward/incorrect answer choices using "rate"]

As for B, you don't have to repeat the preposition in order to stay parallel. Don't get confused by the article "the" before United States because the official name of the US is "The United States of America" and the shortened version requires the article - The US. Insert a different country name that doesn't require "the" beforehand and you can see that the parallelism is obvious as written and the insertion of another "in" definitely seems like overkill - "in France and Germany" vs. "in France and in Germany".

KW


Hello Kyle,hope you are good???Ok...i reside in Nigeria and am preparing to take the GMAT next year..I am using all the Manhattan strategy guides that i ordered from Amazon and i will admit,its been of much help..THANKS TO YOU GUYS..So back to the question,i am not really clear as to what the exact answer is...I am inclined to go with option E as it actually compares the rate of people consuming fatty foods in France to the rate of people consuming fatty foods in the US while option B incorrectly compares People in France and the US (not people in the US)..I just feel that the comparison here is not correct..Correct me if i am wrong..


Although people in France consume fatty foods at a rate comparable to the United States, their death rates from heart disease are far lower in France.

A. Same
B. people in France amd the United States consume fatty foods at about the same rate, the
C. fatty foods are consumed by people in France at a comparable rate to the United States's, their
D. the rate of fatty foods consumed in France and the United States is about the same, the
E. the rate of people consuming fatty foods is about the same in France and the United States, the

A - wrong. "their" does not properly refer to France
B - correct
C - too wordy.
D - wrong. "The rate of fatty foods consumed" not sure what is being consumed. rate or fatty food :-D .
E - wrong. "The rate of people consuming" not sure again if its rate of people of rate of consumption of fatty foods.

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 25

Expert Post
Manhattan Prep Instructor
User avatar
Joined: 30 Apr 2012
Posts: 798

Kudos [?]: 856 [0], given: 5

Re: Although people in France consume fatty foods at a rate [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Dec 2015, 13:11
zoskybuck wrote:

Hello Kyle,hope you are good???Ok...i reside in Nigeria and am preparing to take the GMAT next year..I am using all the Manhattan strategy guides that i ordered from Amazon and i will admit,its been of much help..THANKS TO YOU GUYS..So back to the question,i am not really clear as to what the exact answer is...I am inclined to go with option E as it actually compares the rate of people consuming fatty foods in France to the rate of people consuming fatty foods in the US while option B incorrectly compares People in France and the US (not people in the US)..I just feel that the comparison here is not correct..Correct me if i am wrong..


Glad to hear that we've been able to help with your preparation!

Question E would be nice if it said "the rate of fatty food consumption is about the same...", but as written "the rate of people consuming fatty foods..." doesn't make sense and isn't idiomatic. That leaves us with answer choice B, which I admit depart significantly from the structure we might expect, but it is clearly written. We are talking about people in France and the US and the comparison is that both peoples consume at about the same rate. We understand clearly what is happening in that sentence.

Let me know if you have additional questions here...

KW
_________________


Kyle Widdison | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | Utah


Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile



Kudos [?]: 856 [0], given: 5

Non-Human User
User avatar
Joined: 01 Oct 2013
Posts: 10151

Kudos [?]: 274 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: Although people in France consume fatty foods at a rate [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Jan 2016, 14:15
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Kudos [?]: 274 [0], given: 0

VP
VP
avatar
S
Joined: 09 Jun 2010
Posts: 1387

Kudos [?]: 171 [0], given: 916

Re: Although people in France consume fatty foods at a rate [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Feb 2016, 23:56
eybrj2 wrote:
Although people in France consume fatty foods at a rate comparable to the United States, their death rates from heart disease are far lower in France.

A. Same
B. people in France amd the United States consume fatty foods at about the same rate, the
C. fatty foods are consumed by people in France at a comparable rate to the United States's, their
D. the rate of fatty foods consumed in France and the United States is about the same, the
E. the rate of people consuming fatty foods is about the same in France and the United States, the




""of people consuming" is incorrect; you can't write "of + NOUN + VERBing" if the action of VERBing is the focus of the preposition" This is from Manhatten website.

So what the explanation is saying is that in the sturucture,
N1 + preposition + N2 + V, if the action of V is the focus of the preposition, N2 has to be possessive, and if N2 itself is the focus of the preposition, N2 doesn't have to be possessive?

Do I understand properly?

So...if I changed this into "the rate of people's consuming fatty food, could E be correct?


Also, in B, how is not using "in" before the U.S. ok? I guess that it might be ambigous because it could mean that people in france and the U.S (not people in the U.S.) consume~.


regarding "OF NOUN DOING"
you will not know what is the focus. instead do as following
OF NOUN DOING is OF NOUN.
OF NOUN make sense or not depending on meaning of NOUN.this mean sometime OF NOUN makes sense, sometimes not

RATE GROWTH. make sense, correct
RATE OF PEOPLE, no sense . incorrect

this thinking is more simple and more basic and is the cornerstone gmat want to test us . IS THIS PATTERN MAKE SENSE?
_________________

visit my facebook to help me.
on facebook, my name is: thang thang thang

Kudos [?]: 171 [0], given: 916

Moderator
avatar
D
Joined: 22 Jun 2014
Posts: 954

Kudos [?]: 486 [0], given: 113

Location: India
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 540 Q45 V20
GPA: 2.49
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Although people in France consume fatty foods at a rate [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Apr 2016, 07:46
eybrj2 wrote:
Although people in France consume fatty foods at a rate comparable to the United States, their death rates from heart disease are far lower in France.



A. Same
rate comparable to US - "we cannot compare rate to a country.

B. people in France amd the United States consume fatty foods at about the same rate, the
proper construction. contrast is also pretty clear. comparison is also correct.

C. fatty foods are consumed by people in France at a comparable rate to the United States's, their
compare would be preferred over comparable in GMAT. Passive voice used.

D. the rate of fatty foods consumed in France and the United States is about the same, the
the rate of fatty foods? the rate of consumption would be correct.

E. the rate of people consuming fatty foods is about the same in France and the United States, the
the rate of people? the rate of consumption would be correct.
_________________

---------------------------------------------------------------
Target - 720-740
http://gmatclub.com/forum/information-on-new-gmat-esr-report-beta-221111.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/list-of-one-year-full-time-mba-programs-222103.html

Kudos [?]: 486 [0], given: 113

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
S
Joined: 08 Dec 2015
Posts: 318

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 36

GMAT 1: 600 Q44 V27
Reviews Badge
Re: Although people in France consume fatty foods at a rate [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Apr 2016, 06:07
What if the sentence said

Although people in France consume fatty foods at a rate comparable to the one of the United States, their death rates from heart disease are far lower in France.

Would it be correct?

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 36

Moderator
avatar
D
Joined: 22 Jun 2014
Posts: 954

Kudos [?]: 486 [0], given: 113

Location: India
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 540 Q45 V20
GPA: 2.49
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Although people in France consume fatty foods at a rate [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Apr 2016, 07:21
iliavko wrote:
What if the sentence said

Although people in France consume fatty foods at a rate comparable to the one of the United States, their death rates from heart disease are far lower in France.

Would it be correct?


IMO NO. This one is slightly different from those where possessive pronoun issue is found. if we read carefully "rate comparable to the one of the united states" it looks like the rate is compared to ANY rate of the united states. Also 'that of' is preferred in such comparisons. grammatically sentence may stand but rhetorically not.
_________________

---------------------------------------------------------------
Target - 720-740
http://gmatclub.com/forum/information-on-new-gmat-esr-report-beta-221111.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/list-of-one-year-full-time-mba-programs-222103.html

Kudos [?]: 486 [0], given: 113

Re: Although people in France consume fatty foods at a rate   [#permalink] 18 Apr 2016, 07:21

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4   5    Next  [ 91 posts ] 

Display posts from previous: Sort by

Although people in France consume fatty foods at a rate

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.