GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 23 Jun 2018, 18:41

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Although some officials noted that using machines for

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Verbal Expert
G
Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Although some officials noted that using machines for [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Apr 2016, 12:30
goforgmat wrote:
chetan2u
sayantanc2k

In the above question , Choice E
"farming mechanization in the village of Long Bow doubled the corn yield while costs were cut to half that of the previous year"
Although choice E is wrong for other reasons, my particular doubt is in costs were cut to half that of the previous year
can "that" be used to refer to a noun plural?will it be considered right?

:-D I too had this query for a long time. Finally I discovered numerous instances in OG13 itself where "that" has been used to refer to plural antecedent. Therefore, we can safely say that in GMAT, "that" can refer to plural antecedent.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Technology
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 11 Jul 2016, 11:41
95. Although some officials noted that using machines for farming in China costs more than traditional hand cultivation, the mechanization of farming in the village of Long Bow doubled the corn yield while the previous year’s costs were cut in half.

(A) mechanization of farming in the village of Long Bow doubled the corn yield while the previous year’s costs were cut in half -- how can an action of present affect the cost of the past ? Logicaly incorrect.
(B) mechanization of farming in the village of Long Bow doubled the corn yield while cutting costs to half those of the previous year- No Mistake here , meaning is crisp , grammar is perfect.
(C) mechanization of farming in the village of Long Bow doubled the corn yield as cost were cut to half of the previous year’sas cost were? cost is singular
(D) farming mechanization in the village of Long Bow doubled the corn yield as it cut in half the previous year’s costs what does it refer to?
(E) farming mechanization in the village of Long Bow doubled the corn yield while costs were cut to half that of the previous year-- costs is plural so it needs a plural referant those
Retired Moderator
P
Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
GPA: 4
WE: Engineering (Telecommunications)
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 02 Sep 2016, 11:17
My 2 cents and experts could correct me if I am wrong -

Although some officials noted that using machines for farming in China costs more than traditional hand cultivation, the mechanization of farming in the village of Long Bow doubled the corn yield while the previous year’s costs were cut in half.

(A) mechanization of farming in the village of Long Bow doubled the corn yield while the previous year’s costs were cut in half - while shows a simultaneous actions and what follows next doesn't match with while - Also, the meaning is absurd - present year's cost is half of previous years.
(B) mechanization of farming in the village of Long Bow doubled the corn yield while cutting costs to half those of the previous year - seems to maintain correct form when used with while
(C) mechanization of farming in the village of Long Bow doubled the corn yield as cost were cut to half of the previous year’s - cost is singular
(D) farming mechanization in the village of Long Bow doubled the corn yield as it cut in half the previous year’s costs - farming mechanization seems to be incorrect - I didn't check what followed after that
(E) farming mechanization in the village of Long Bow doubled the corn yield while costs were cut to half that of the previous year - same as D
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 730 Q51 V36
GPA: 3.56
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 19 May 2017, 21:13
Although some officials noted that using machines for farming in China costs more than traditional hand cultivation, the mechanization of farming in the village of Long Bow doubled the corn yield while the previous year’s costs were cut in half.

(A) mechanization of farming in the village of Long Bow doubled the corn yield while the previous year’s costs were cut in half
--> active voice is preferred to passive voice.

(B) mechanization of farming in the village of Long Bow doubled the corn yield while cutting costs to half those of the previous year

(C) mechanization of farming in the village of Long Bow doubled the corn yield as cost were cut to half of the previous year’s

(D) farming mechanization in the village of Long Bow doubled the corn yield as it cut in half the previous year’s costs
--> "it" is ambiguous.

(E) farming mechanization in the village of Long Bow doubled the corn yield while costs were cut to half that of the previous year

Do not pray for an easy life, pray for the strength to endure a difficult one - Bruce Lee

Expert Post
Top Contributor
Retired Moderator
P
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 20 May 2017, 01:46
Top Contributor
I am afraid that this topic is suspect in terms of logic.
1. The first part says that mechanized farming costs more than traditional farming. In the next breath, it says costs have reduced to half by mechanization.
This year, If mechanization cost me 150 fifty rupees, some 50 rupees more than the 100 rupees that I spend for traditional method, the cost goes up but not cut by half.
Let us not confuse the cost of cultivation with yield. Corn yield doubled means, the grain yield went up from, say, some 100 kegs to 200 kgs. However, It does not automatically mean that the costs were cut to half.
Nor can we say that the eventual effective cost this year is half of the original cost, due to the doubled yield. This will happen only when the absolute cost remains the same as that of the traditional method. But, mechanization has increased the absolute cost, the topic says in the first part.
This topic does not seem to convey ant sensible meaning because all the choices say that the costs were cut to half.

you can know a lot about something and not really understand it."-- a quote
No one knows this better than a GMAT student does.
Narendran +9198845 44509

Verbal Forum Moderator
B
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 21 May 2017, 11:13
Merged topics. Please, search before posting questions!

Please Read: Verbal Posting Rules

Re: Although some officials noted that using machines for   [#permalink] 21 May 2017, 11:13

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 26 posts ] 

Although some officials noted that using machines for

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap