Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 07:35 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 07:35

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 79 [0]
Given Kudos: 54
Concentration: General Management
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.92
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42104 [3]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30791 [2]
Given Kudos: 635
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [0]
Given Kudos: 288
GMAT 1: 680 Q50 V31
Send PM
Re: Although the cacao plant probably originated in the upper Amazon regio [#permalink]
AjiteshArun can you please brief why E is wrong ?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4653 [1]
Given Kudos: 631
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Re: Although the cacao plant probably originated in the upper Amazon regio [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
teaserbae wrote:
AjiteshArun can you please brief why E is wrong ?
Option E is just not put together very well. For example, take a look at the first few words of E:

the first cultivation for its seeds and pulp appears to have begun

Apart from being awkward, the "the first cultivation" bit doesn't even clarify that the cultivation was of the cacao plant. Compare that to (a slightly shorter version of) option C:

it was first cultivated for its seeds and pulp

This option communicates what was cultivated very clearly.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [1]
Given Kudos: 249
Send PM
Kudos
Instead of getting all wrapped up in analyzing the wording of each individual answer and spending a lot of time on that, the way I looked at this sentence was by understanding the overall meaning and what was being compared.

The use of "although" as the initial opening word indicates that the sentence is comparing two different ideas. The first phrase indicates the cacao plant ORIGINATED IN the UPPER AMAZON REGION, and the second phrase says its (refers to the cacao plant) first cultivation for seeds and pulp was apparently BEGUN IN MEXICO AND CENTRAL AMERICA. Comparing these two different verbs and places, I can already clearly see that the use of "begun in" is incorrect since begun, beginning, etc. is a verb used to describe TIME not a PLACE whereas the use of "originating in" is clearly used to describe a PLACE, the Upper Amazon region.

Therefore A, B, and E can all be immediately eliminated since all use variations of begun, beginning. D can also be eliminated since "to be" is incorrect since it is nonsensical for "the beginning of its cultivation for seeds and pulp TO BE in Mexico and Central America". Beginning of something, which indicates time, can't "be" in a place. Beginning of something begins in a time.

C then clearly is the only choice that stands out to fit in the comparison of the sentence, and when plugged into the stimulus clearly compares correctly.

Although the cacao plant probably originated in the upper Amazon region, it was apparently first cultivated for its seeds and pulp in Mexico and Central America.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 101
Send PM
please help me learn the usage of ''to be'' . what the real intent of using such
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Expert Reply
himanshu0123 wrote:
please help me learn the usage of ''to be'' . what the real intent of using such

Hello himanshu0123,

We hope this finds you well.

To answer your query, "to be" is an infinitive verb form ("to + base form of verb" - "to + be" in this sentence); it means "for the purpose of being" or refers to the act of "being" as part of another action.

We hope this helps.
All the best!
Experts' Global Team
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
I didnt understand why option E is incorrect and option C is correct. Doesnt C change original meaning of the sentence?
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 5137 [1]
Given Kudos: 1431
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
Although the cacao plant probably originated in the upper Amazon regio [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
ashishzanke wrote:
I didnt understand why option E is incorrect and option C is correct. Doesnt C change original meaning of the sentence?

Here's the (E) version:

Although the cacao plant probably originated in the upper Amazon region, the first cultivation for its seeds and pulp appears to have begun in Mexico and Central America.

This version has a few issues.

- "The first cultivation for its seeds and pulp" does not clearly convey that the cacao plant was cultivated.

- The "first cultivation" and "to have begun" are redundant because "the first" is of course what "begun."

Here's the (C) version:

Although the cacao plant probably originated in the upper Amazon region, it was apparently first cultivated for its seeds and pulp in Mexico and Central America.

This version has neither of the issues we saw in the (E) version and effectively conveys a meaning that makes sense. Thus, this version is correct, regardless of whether it conveys the same meaning as is conveyed by the original version.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 128
Schools: HBS
GPA: 3.92
Send PM
Can GMAT Ninja or someone reliable explain this question? I find some explanations to be totally incorrect or not persuasive, and the explanations vary a lot under the discussion. Awkwardness does not help explain why the answer choice is wrong...

I chose E and did not notice any key problems with E. I think the tense for "have begun" is correct and "appears to" is OK. Maybe it's redundant to say both "first" and "have begun". Can some expert provide the true answer?
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63666 [0]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
ellenckh wrote:
Can GMAT Ninja or someone reliable explain this question? I find some explanations to be totally incorrect or not persuasive, and the explanations vary a lot under the discussion. Awkwardness does not help explain why the answer choice is wrong...

I chose E and did not notice any key problems with E. I think the tense for "have begun" is correct and "appears to" is OK. Maybe it's redundant to say both "first" and "have begun". Can some expert provide the true answer?

The main verb in (E) is confusing. If we say "the first cultivation... appears to have begun", are we trying to say that the first cultivation is still going on?

The past tense verb in (C) makes the logical meaning more clear: "[the cacao plant] was apparently first cultivated...".

Also, the "parallel" structure in (C) makes the contrast nice and clear: "Although the plant originated in Place 1, [the plant] was first cultivated in Place 2." The structure of (E) might not violate any clear-cut rules, but the structure of (C) makes the meaning clearer and easier to follow.

Remember, GMAT SC isn't about looking at individual options in a bubble and labeling them wrong or right -- it's about looking at the five available options and picking the best of the bunch. (E) might not have any glaring errors, but (C) is a better option.

I hope that helps!
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2 
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts