It is currently 13 Dec 2017, 05:18

Decision(s) Day!:

CHAT Rooms | Ross R1 | Kellogg R1 | Darden R1 | Tepper R1

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Although the cacao plant probably originated in the upper Amazon

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Expert Post
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
G

Kudos [?]: 8949 [0], given: 111

Re: Although the cacao plant probably originated in the upper Amazon [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 May 2017, 09:29
bubblehead0922 wrote:
Himikemcgarry,

I like your explanation about "appear" in the previous post. I think that choice D and E changed the intended meaning of the original sentence. In OA it says that the first cultivation was "apparently" begun. Therefore, the author appears to be an expert on cocoa plant. So "appear to have begun" and "appear to be" change the certainty the author intends to convey. Can you please confirm it?

Thx for your time in advance.

Victoria

Dear Victoria,

How are you, my friend? I'm happy to help. :-)

(D) has a funky tense, so that's also wrong for that reason. I would say that (C) and (E) are very close in meaning. The speaker presumably is some expert in the history of cacao, and in either (C) or (E), she is sharing with us her well-informed speculation.

How do you feel the meaning is any different between (C) and (E)?

Mike :-)

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire. — William Butler Yeats (1865 – 1939)

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 62

Schools: Anderson '20
GMAT 1: 680 Q50 V33
Re: Although the cacao plant probably originated in the upper Amazon [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 May 2017, 15:57
mikemcgarry wrote:
bubblehead0922 wrote:
Himikemcgarry,

I like your explanation about "appear" in the previous post. I think that choice D and E changed the intended meaning of the original sentence. In OA it says that the first cultivation was "apparently" begun. Therefore, the author appears to be an expert on cocoa plant. So "appear to have begun" and "appear to be" change the certainty the author intends to convey. Can you please confirm it?

Thx for your time in advance.

Victoria

Dear Victoria,

How are you, my friend? I'm happy to help. :-)

(D) has a funky tense, so that's also wrong for that reason. I would say that (C) and (E) are very close in meaning. The speaker presumably is some expert in the history of cacao, and in either (C) or (E), she is sharing with us her well-informed speculation.

How do you feel the meaning is any different between (C) and (E)?

Hello Mike,

I guess I did not make myself clear.

I think "apparently" and "appears" convey different levels of certainty. Since this question is very tricky, I am trying to figure out some splitting points to eliminate the wrong choices. Do you think that "apparently" conveys a different meaning (the certainty) from "appear" so that the usage of "appear" in E changes the intended meaning in the original sentence (A) that contains "apparently" ?

Have a good weekend,
Victoria

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 62

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 30

Concentration: Marketing, International Business

Show Tags

New post 26 May 2017, 23:40
Other than option C, all are redundant to use and if the Question has it's, we can directly eliminate many option as "it's-> it is" is really subtle to use here.

Kudos if its helps anyone..

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 30

Expert Post
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
G

Show Tags

New post 27 May 2017, 11:27
bubblehead0922 wrote:
Hello Mike,

I guess I did not make myself clear.

I think "apparently" and "appears" convey different levels of certainty. Since this question is very tricky, I am trying to figure out some splitting points to eliminate the wrong choices. Do you think that "apparently" conveys a different meaning (the certainty) from "appear" so that the usage of "appear" in E changes the intended meaning in the original sentence (A) that contains "apparently" ?

Have a good weekend,
Victoria

Victoria,

How are you, my friend? I'm happy to respond. :-)

My friend, if you are looking for a deciding split, I think you are looking in the wrong place.

In some contexts, "apparently" and "appears" do convey different levels of certainty, but I don't think this is a universal distinction.
a) Apparently, he was wrong.
b) He appears to be wrong.
Yes, in this instance, it seems there is something apprehensible to our senses. The first instance is a supposition, perhaps derived from something we heard. The latter has the connotation of something we can see with our own eyes, and so there's more certainty. What we see with our eyes is more certain that what we think in our heads.

The trouble is that this distinction vanishes when the matter under discussion is not one immediately apprehensible to our senses. Here, we are talking about the first cultivation of cacao way back in pre-history. Any conclusion we make about this topic is several logical steps away from simple sense evidence.
C) it was apparently first cultivated for its seeds and pulp
E) the first cultivation for its seeds and pulp appears to have begun

Here, the "appears" in (E) is not about sense data, but rather about the way something appears, as it were, the the mind's eye. It's the way it appears in logical conceptual framework. Thus, with the "apparently" and the "appears," we are talking about head stuff in both cases, the way ideas appear. In neither case are we talking about direct sense data. Thus, the potency of the difference, so evident in the short sentences in the last paragraph, vanishes here. Yes, there may still be some very subtle difference in level of certainty, but at this point, we are at a level of subtlety far beyond what the GMAT would test.

Does all this make sense?

Have a great weekend!

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire. — William Butler Yeats (1865 – 1939)

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 238

Concentration: Finance, Economics
GPA: 3.56
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 23 Jul 2017, 18:52
Although the cacao plant probably originated in the upper Amazon region, its first cultivation for seeds and pulp was apparently begun in Mexico and Central America.

(A) its first cultivation for seeds and pulp was apparently begun
(B) apparently it was cultivated for its seeds and its pulp beginning
(C) it was apparently first cultivated for its seeds and pulp
(D) the beginning of its cultivation for seeds and pulp appears to be
(E) the first cultivation for its seeds and pulp appears to have begun

Do not pray for an easy life, pray for the strength to endure a difficult one - Bruce Lee

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 238

Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 42

Concentration: General Management
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.92
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 30 Sep 2017, 05:57
mikemcgarry wrote:
SVTTCGMAT wrote:
Although the cacao plant probably originated in the upper Amazon region, its first cultivation for seeds and pulp was apparently begun in Mexico and Central America.

A) its first cultivation for seeds and pulp was apparently begun
B) apparently it was cultivated for its seeds and its pulp beginning
D) the beginning of its cultivation for seeds and pulp appears to be

Can anyone explain why E is wrong?

hxzworld wrote:
i'm totally confused with this question.
could someone explain more specifically, especially, what's wrong with A ??

Dear hxzworld,

I'm happy to respond. :-)

Unfortunately, SVTTCGMAT posted the question with multiple errors, and much of the discussion on this page revolves around discussing those errors rather than the substance of the original official question. The version above is the correct version: one we remove all the errors originally introduced when this question was posted, it is a wonderful question.

Here's what is so hard about the question: all five of the answer choices are grammatically correct! This is a wonderful question because it really doesn't test grammar at all. This question is almost completely a pure test of rhetorical construction.

Think about it. What is the core action here? The core action is the action of cultivating cacao for its seed & pulp. The discussion of this action is essential to the sentence. Well, as a general rule, if a sentence is about an action, often the most effective version that sentence involves the action as a verb.

A) its first cultivation for seeds and pulp was apparently begun
The main action is a noun, "cultivation," and the sapless alternative "was begun" is the main verb. This is grammatically correct, but it is about as direct and persuasive as wet toast. This is a rhetorical failure and is wrong.

B) apparently it was cultivated for its seeds and its pulp beginning
The main action is a verb--good. The problem here is the participle "beginning": the Modifier Touch Rule suggests that the "pulps" "begin in Mexico and Central America." This is illogical. We can step back from this grammar and figure out logically what the target noun should be, but in a well-constructed sentence, everything should be clear already. This is ambiguous and wrong.

The main action is a verb--good. No logical problems. This is active and powerful. These seems promising.

D) the beginning of its cultivation for seeds and pulp appears to be
The main action is a noun, "cultivation," and the punchless alternative "appears to have began" is the main verb. This version seems as if it were trying to make the sentence as long, boring, and indirect as possible. This is completely mealy-mouthed, a rhetorical train wreck. This is incorrect.

Once again, the main action is a noun, "cultivation," and the lily-livered alternative "appears to have began" is the main verb. This is flabby, indirect, timid, and without any persuasive power. This yawn-inducing version is another rhetorical failure.

The only possible answer is (C).

Does all this make sense?

Wonderful Explanation !!!.
But i have a doubt with what you mention to be the core action of the verb.
You suggest that the core action is 'cultivating cacao for its seeds and pulps'.
But are we not contrasting the place of origin?
the sentence is structured like this " Although X originated in Y, its cultivation began in Z "
Should not the core action be where its cultivation began rather than what it was cultivated for?
Thanks.

The thing about privilege is.. you often don't recognize your own !!!

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 42

Top Contributor
Retired Moderator
P
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying

Kudos [?]: 8325 [0], given: 366

WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 01 Oct 2017, 05:11
Top Contributor
There isn't much to explain on the topic after Mike has so substantially dissected it.
I am only looking at some words from the meaning point.
When you say the first cultivation, it might weirdly imply that there are several other cultivations of Cacao. Cultivation is a noun to express a process rather than the numeric of it. The better term is to say that it was first cultivated.
The second point is that when something was begun, it might imply it might have ended sometime later. However, the cultivation is still going on, probably endlessly. Therefore, the use of 'was begun', 'to have begun' or 'beginning (both as a modifier and as a gerund) is inappropriate.
C is the one that is above such muddles and hence is the best of the lot.

Can you solve at least some SC questions without delving into the initial statement?

Narendran 98845 44509

Kudos [?]: 8325 [0], given: 366

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
e-GMAT Representative
S

Kudos [?]: 9426 [1], given: 348

Show Tags

New post 02 Oct 2017, 01:48
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
cubs wrote:
But are we not contrasting the place of origin?
the sentence is structured like this " Although X originated in Y, its cultivation began in Z "
Should not the core action be where its cultivation began rather than what it was cultivated for?
Thanks.

Hello cubs,

I will be glad to help you out with this one. :-)

You are correct in understanding the intended contrast in the sentence.

Indeed, the sentence intends to convey that cacao plant originated in X. But it was first cultivated in Y and Z.

This is the contrast conveyed by Choice C very clearly. The point that this plant was cultivated for seeds and pulp just adds up to the context of the sentence.

Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks.
Shraddha

| '4 out of Top 5' Instructors on gmatclub | 70 point improvement guarantee | www.e-gmat.com

Kudos [?]: 9426 [1], given: 348

Re: Although the cacao plant probably originated in the upper Amazon   [#permalink] 02 Oct 2017, 01:48

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 28 posts ] 

Although the cacao plant probably originated in the upper Amazon

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap