It is currently 11 Dec 2017, 23:42

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Although the discount stores in Goreville central shopping

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Re: Although the discount stores in Goreville central shopping [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Oct 2014, 05:13
sagarsabnis wrote:
Although the discount stores in Goreville's central shopping district are expected to close within five years as a
result of competition from a Spend Less discount department store that just opened, those locations will not
stay vacant for long. In the five years since the opening of Colson's, a nondiscount department store, a new
store has opened at the location of every store in the shopping district that closed because it could not compete
with Colson's.

Can anyone explain, I can't understand the last 3 lines. As far as I understand, discount stores in a certain place are expected to close as they can't compete with another discount store "SpendLess". However, that place will not be vacant. What happened next?
My problem.
1. I can't understand the whole timeline of events
2. Are those new stores "discount" or "nondiscount"?

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Non-Human User

Kudos [?]: 275 [0], given: 0

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 02 Feb 2015, 06:56
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 492 [0], given: 200

Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 580 Q46 V24
GPA: 3.88
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 21 Feb 2015, 05:32
The key point of the argument is -> the argument conludes that locations won't stay vacant taking the the example of Colson into account.

A. Many customers of Colson’s are expected to do less shopping there than they did
before the SpendLess store opened --> irrelevant. We are looking for a point wich weakens the pattern.

B. Increasingly, the stores that have opened in the central shopping district since
Colson’s opened have been discount stores --> CORRECT. Reasoning: Colson (non discount) made it's competitors close, Discount stores came in place of them; Now we have SpendLess - because of which all discount stores in the city will close - But non discount stores won't take there place because of Colson

C. At present, the central shopping district has as many stores operating in it as it
ever had --> Strengthens the argument

D. Over the course of the next five years, it is expected that Goreville’s population
will grow at a faster rate than it has for the past several decades color=#ff0000]--> Strengthens the argument. More people - more demand more stores[/color]

E. Many stores in the central shopping district sell types of merchandise that are not
available at either SpendLess or Colson’s --> This makes them more likely not to close, we are interesting wether new stores come up in place of the closed ones

When you’re up, your friends know who you are. When you’re down, you know who your friends are.

Share some Kudos, if my posts help you. Thank you !

800Score ONLY QUANT CAT1 51, CAT2 50, CAT3 50
GMAT PREP 670
MGMAT CAT 630
KAPLAN CAT 660

Kudos [?]: 492 [0], given: 200

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 13

Schools: Haas '16, AGSM '16
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 17 Mar 2015, 04:53
Choice B

Type : Weaken

Conclusion: Closed store will not stay vacant long.

Assumption: new store will have features that will draw customers to the shopping district. Base on the given example, these feature would relate to price.

Break the assumption: there are not any market segment that new store could operate there business on.

Hence choice B is a correct answer

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 13

Non-Human User

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 27 Jul 2015, 00:54

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [1], given: 2

Concentration: Marketing, General Management
GPA: 3.1

Show Tags

New post 21 Aug 2015, 09:40
This post received
KUDOS
shpnoraj wrote:
sagarsabnis wrote:
Although the discount stores in Goreville's central shopping district are expected to close within five years as a
result of competition from a Spend Less discount department store that just opened, those locations will not
stay vacant for long. In the five years since the opening of Colson's, a nondiscount department store, a new
store has opened at the location of every store in the shopping district that closed because it could not compete
with Colson's.

Can anyone explain, I can't understand the last 3 lines. As far as I understand, discount stores in a certain place are expected to close as they can't compete with another discount store "SpendLess". However, that place will not be vacant. What happened next?
My problem.
1. I can't understand the whole timeline of events
2. Are those new stores "discount" or "nondiscount"?

If you want to STRENGTHEN the argument then the stores should be NON-DISCOUNT.
If you want to WEAKEN the argument, then the stores should be DISCOUNT.

Kudos [?]: 1 [1], given: 2

1 KUDOS received
Board of Directors
P

Kudos [?]: 447 [1], given: 207

Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.92
WE: General Management (Transportation)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 27 Nov 2015, 16:54
This post received
KUDOS
I believe all the answer choices except B discuss smth that have no influence on the conclusion of the argument.
clearly, to weaken the conclusion, we need some information that the stores that closed where C opened were non-discount or that the new stores opened nearby C - are offering discounts..
bu showing the 2 situations, we can deduct that it will not be the same with SL!

(A) Many customers of Colson's are expected to do less shopping there than they did before the Spend Less
store opened.
this does not undermine the conclusion that the number of stores will increase...

(8) Increasingly, the stores that have opened in the central shopping district since Colson's opened have been
discount stores.
looks good..as what we believed we need..

(C) At present, the central shopping district has as many stores operating in it as it ever had.
completely irrelevant.

(D) Over the course of the next five years, it is expected that Goreville's population will grow at a faster rate
than it has for the past several decades.
irrelevant.

(E) Many stores in the central shopping district sell types of merchandise that are not available at either
SpendLess or Colson's.
what kind of merchandise they sell - not interesting!

B is the best.

Kudos [?]: 447 [1], given: 207

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 4

GMAT 1: 540 Q41 V23
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 29 Jan 2016, 19:01
Thanks for the solution. It was tricky.

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 4

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: -23 [0], given: 61

GPA: 3.3
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 12 Feb 2016, 05:18
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Although the discount stores in Goreville's central shopping district are expected to close within five years as a result of competition from a SpendLess discount department store that just opened, those locations will not stay vacant for long. In the five years since the opening of Colson's, a nondiscount department store, a new store has opened at the location of every store in the shopping district that closed because it could not compete with Colson's.

Which of the following, if true, most seriously weakens the argument?

(A) Many customers of Colson's are expected to do less shopping there than they did before the SpendLess store opened.

(B) Increasingly, the stores that have opened in the central shopping district since Colson's opened have been discount stores.

(C) At present, the central shopping district has as many stores operating in it as it ever had.

(D) Over the course of the next five years, it is expected that Goreville's population will grow at a faster rate than it has for the past several decades.

(E) Many stores in the central shopping district sell types of merchandise that are not available at either SpendLess or Colson's.

6 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 45 [6], given: 36

WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 12 Feb 2016, 10:42
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
result of competition from a SpendLess discount department store that just opened, those locations will not
stay vacant for long
In the five years since the opening of Colson's, a nondiscount department store, a new
with Colson's.

Conclusion here is that the closed stores' position will not be vacant
To weaken , we must find an option that says , Yes ! those places are going to stay vacant. No new stores are going to open there

As I have gone through the CR Bible , they talk about a technique - find the connectors.Connectors are those answer choices that connect important words in the question stem.
For this question, this technique is very helpful
What are the important words we see in the argument that is not properly connected?
Discount store and non discount store. Authors is inferring something about the discount stores by pulling out an example of a non discount store. So these two needs to be connected.

Now if we look at the answer choices they are all seems out of scope. None of them really weakens the conclusion.
But ! the Option (B) talks something about discount stores and mentions colson's. and Colson's by question we know a non discount store.
So yes , here is a connection building.
Now ! lets think a little more. Since the opening of Colson's , all the new stores that opened in place of unfortunate closed stores are discount stores.
Ans question says all the discount stores are in danger because of a new discount store. That means , this new danger is going to wipe out the existing discount stores as well as the newly opened stores. Had such thing happened , there could be a chance that a big number of vacant spots get created, and they may not get filled at all . Hence the conclusion is weakened . Marginally !

The Mind ~ Muscle Connection
My GMAT Journey is Complete.Going to start the MBA in Information Management from 2016
Good Luck everyone.

Kudos [?]: 45 [6], given: 36

Intern
Intern

GPA: 3.3
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 12 Feb 2016, 11:20
This post was
BOOKMARKED
tryambaks wrote:
result of competition from a SpendLess discount department store that just opened, those locations will not
stay vacant for long
In the five years since the opening of Colson's, a nondiscount department store, a new
with Colson's.

Conclusion here is that the closed stores' position will not be vacant
To weaken , we must find an option that says , Yes ! those places are going to stay vacant. No new stores are going to open there

As I have gone through the CR Bible , they talk about a technique - find the connectors.Connectors are those answer choices that connect important words in the question stem.
For this question, this technique is very helpful
What are the important words we see in the argument that is not properly connected?
Discount store and non discount store. Authors is inferring something about the discount stores by pulling out an example of a non discount store. So these two needs to be connected.

Now if we look at the answer choices they are all seems out of scope. None of them really weakens the conclusion.
But ! the Option (B) talks something about discount stores and mentions colson's. and Colson's by question we know a non discount store.
So yes , here is a connection building.
Now ! lets think a little more. Since the opening of Colson's , all the new stores that opened in place of unfortunate closed stores are discount stores.
Ans question says all the discount stores are in danger because of a new discount store. That means , this new danger is going to wipe out the existing discount stores as well as the newly opened stores. Had such thing happened , there could be a chance that a big number of vacant spots get created, and they may not get filled at all . Hence the conclusion is weakened . Marginally !

Well explained. +1 Kudos to you..

Non-Human User

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 03 Apr 2016, 10:00

Non-Human User

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 24 Aug 2016, 09:35

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 56

Concentration: General Management, Economics
GMAT 1: 630 Q42 V34
WE: Engineering (Transportation)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 06 Oct 2016, 14:03
Discount stores are closing because of the competition from Spendless Discount store and the place being vacant will be occupied very fast
The author gives a parallel reason since Colson's -nondiscount store opened , every store that closed due to competition by Colson, there was some other store which occupied that place.

Now Option B says - Increasingly, the stores that have opened in the central shopping district since Colson's opened have been
discount stores.
the stores that occupied place (left by stores which couldn't compete Colson's) were discount stores.
Now If Discount stores were closing in central shopping district because of Competition from Spendless , why will some other discount store come back. (Ok few! may come) still the conclusion is weakened
i.e the place in central shopping district will not be filling up very soon.

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 56

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 26

GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40

Show Tags

New post 21 Feb 2017, 02:10
Original Qstem and ACs:

Although the discount stores in Goreville’s central shopping district are expected to close within five years as a result of competition from a SpendLess discount department store that just opened, those locations will not stay vacant for long. In the five years since the opening of Colson’s, a nondiscount department store, a new store has opened at the location of every store in the shopping district that closed because it could not compete with Colson’s.

Which of the following, if true, most seriously weakens the argument?
A. Many customers of Colson’s are expected to do less shopping there than they did before the SpendLess store opened.
B. Increasingly, the stores that have opened in the central shopping district since Colson’s opened have been discount stores.
C. At present, the central shopping district has as many stores operating in it as it ever had.
D. Over the course of the next five years, it is expected that Goreville’s population will grow at a faster rate than it has for the past several decades.
E. Many stores in the central shopping district sell types of merchandise that are not available at either SpendLess or Colson’s.

Quote:
ANALYZE OPTION B:

The logic of the argument is: New Discount store opened ==> Current Discount store will be closed ==> But there will be another Discount stores opened in the locations of closed stores.
The reason to back up: Colson, a NON-discount store opened ==> Current NON-discount stores will be closed ==> But there was a NEW store opened in the location of closed Non-discount stores.

STOP. what kind of "NEW store"? :?:

The argument is WEAK is because it uses PARALLEL reasoning improperly. The reasoning is true if the NEW store has the same nature as the closed NON-discount stored. If the NEW opened store is NOT non-discount stores ==> The reasoning/parallel reasoning is NOT valid.

Option B: Increasingly, the stores that have opened in the central shopping district since Colson's opened have been discount stores
B says exactly the same ==> B weakens the argument.

Hope it helps.

As per your analysis, there will be "another Discount stores" filling up the spaces of the closed stores.
But the stimulus does not specify what kind of stores will fill up those locations. Am I understanding the passage correctly?
Similarly, nowhere does it say that Non-discount stores closed as a result of competition from Colson. Is it assumed that only those directly competing with Colson will close?

Also, if B were true and new Discount stores opened at the location of closed Non-discount stores, can't it be that new Non-discount stores filled up the spaces of the closed stores? Then the space won't be left vacant for long, and thus it either strengthens or does not affect the argument.

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 26

VP
VP
S

Kudos [?]: 44 [0], given: 1354

GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.64
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 16 Jul 2017, 20:41
boiled down to B and E, but here B is the winner because of the common pattern in GMAT.

Since this is a weaken question, E is out because it offers an alternative plan that has nothing to do with the main argument . The main conclusion is about the competition and stores can go out of business. Hence, B is correct because B uses what stated in the two first sentences to argue that stores will not close because of poor competitive advantage.

Kudos [?]: 44 [0], given: 1354

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 37

Show Tags

New post 16 Jul 2017, 22:10
Conclusion: The locations will not be vacant for long.
Since we have to weaken, we will look for an option that somehoe portrays that the locations will be vacant.

The question says that the stores closed because they could not compete with SpendLess, discount store.
However, in these five years when colson's opened, new stores came up but even that close because they could not compete with Colson. Now that the stores have been closed > locations are vacant. How does it matter whether the stores were discount or non-discount i.e option B?

Can someone please correct the reasoning above? What are you pre-thinking here?

Thanks

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 37

VP
VP
G

Kudos [?]: 89 [0], given: 562

Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V36
GRE 1: 314 Q157 V157
GPA: 3.4
WE: Manufacturing and Production (Manufacturing)
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 17 Jul 2017, 00:28
Imo B
The argument tries to establish connection between the opening of the a discount store and its effects on the central shopping district and coulson's non discount store and its effects on the central shopping district .
We have to show that this not the case as one case does not guarantee the happening of the another case
B gives us a fact that undermines that reasoning.

We are more often frightened than hurt; and we suffer more from imagination than from reality

Kudos [?]: 89 [0], given: 562

Manager
Manager
B
Status: Final Call! Will Achieve Target ANyHow This Tym! :)

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 135

GMAT 1: 620 Q49 V25
GPA: 3.8
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 14 Aug 2017, 03:18
mikemcgarry, can you please explain this question in detail. Even the argument is NOT clear to me. I tried many times but failed.

Regards,
Varun

Trying my best..... will succeed definitely! :)

The Moment You Think About Giving Up, Think Of The Reason Why You Held On So Long.
+1 Kudos if you find this post helpful. :)

Do Check OG 2017 SC Solutions - http://gmatwithcj.com/solutions-gmat-official-guide-2017-sentence-correction-questions/

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 135

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
G

Kudos [?]: 8939 [1], given: 111

Show Tags

New post 14 Aug 2017, 11:31
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
vnigam21 wrote:
mikemcgarry, can you please explain this question in detail. Even the argument is NOT clear to me. I tried many times but failed.

Dear vnigam21,

I'm happy to respond. :-)

My friend, I am sorry to say this, but if this question is confusing to you, I believe you have a great deal of work to do in improving your understanding of English before you are GMAT-ready. I will suggest this blog article:
How to Improve Your GMAT Verbal Score
You have to push yourself to improve in English, for example, reading for an hour each day every single day, over and above any GMAt-specific preparations. It's good, in particular, to read the business news of American & English newspapers and news journals, to be familiar with the themes that arise in business.

Now, I'll discuss this question. Here's the prompt:
Although the discount stores in Goreville central shopping district are expected to close within five years as a result of competition from a SpendLess discount department store that just opened, those locations will not stay vacant for long. In the five years since the opening of Colson's, a nondiscount department store, a new store has opened at the location of every store in the shopping district that closed because it could not compete with Colson's.

"Goreville" is a fictional town, a creation of the GMAT authors, and apparently this town has a "shopping district."

A "discount store" is a story that sells items at very cheap prices: often the items are not of the highest quality. A "non-discount store" would be one that sold higher quality merchandise at higher prices. It is the sad story of American business that many "non-discount stores" have been driven out of business because American consumers prefer the cheaper prices of "discount stores" and are willing to settle for the lower prices. In particular, "Walmart" is a very large discount store that has ruthlessly killed off thousands of small businesses. In order to understand GMAT CR, it's very helpful to know the general big-picture stories of the economy.

In the Goreville shopping district recently, "SpendLess discount department store" and all the smaller discount stores in the shopping district are closing because they can't compete. As these stores close, this obviously leaves vacancies in the shopping district, empty boarded-up lots where a functioning store had been. All that is factual, part of the evidence.

The author makes the bold prediction: these lots will not remain empty for long. In other words, the authors expects new businesses to move in soon and start up in these locations. This is the author's conclusion.

Why does the author think this? He argues by analogy.
Five years ago, "Colson's, a nondiscount department store" opened. Several stores closed, but new stores quickly moved it. The author suggests the same thing will happen again.

Of course, this is a flawed argument, and we need to find the flaw. We suspect it has something to do with the type of stores.

The answer, of course is (B):
B. Increasingly, the stores that have opened in the central shopping district since Colson's opened have been discount stores.
This makes the whole picture clear.

Of course, when the big nondiscount store, Colson's, opened, all the smaller nondiscount stores closed because they couldn't compete. In general, it's hard for a small store to compete with a big store in its own category. The stores that started moving in were the discount stores, because these small stores, with their lower prices, could still compete and take enough business away from Colson's. Now, the Walmart-like Spendless moves in: the smaller discount stores cannot compete with a large discount store, so they go under. Probably, if this is following the pattern of American business, Colson's will go under also, and everyone will be stuck with the sub-mediocrity of Spendless. This highlights the flaw in the original argument: small discount stores can have an advantage against a big nondiscount store, but they don't have the same advantage against a big discount store, that's the situation now that Spendless has moved in.

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire. — William Butler Yeats (1865 – 1939)

Kudos [?]: 8939 [1], given: 111

Re: Although the discount stores in Goreville central shopping   [#permalink] 14 Aug 2017, 11:31

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4   5    Next  [ 83 posts ] 

Although the discount stores in Goreville central shopping

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap