It is currently 17 Jan 2018, 03:12

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Although the discount stores in Goreville central shopping

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 19

GMAT 1: 600 Q47 V20
GPA: 3.5
Re: Although the discount stores in Goreville central shopping [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Aug 2017, 01:18
So, this is how I went about it.

Background: Discount Stores might close because of competition from "Spendless"
Conc: The discount stores won't stay for long. ( Reason: A new store has opened in place of every store closed because it could not compete against Colson)
Fact: Stores closed in a period of 5 years.
What can we infer from the Conc and the Reasoning and Fact?
1. the stores that closed couldn't hold the competition against colson, which means Colson has a competitive advantage which none of the closed stores had.
2.All shops have been replaced by new stores. ( now we don't know if these new are competitive against Colson or not, but from background info, we can say that there are discount stores among them)
3.The old stores individually closed within this 5 year period.

Now my brain tells me that the conclusion is regarding discount stores and not any other stores. ( look after the comma, the author has used the word "those locations", but it actually refers to discount stores, a deceptive move to disturb your focus)

A- We are not comparing SpendLess and Colson- Irrelevant
B- hold this for now
C- Well, the prompt says that every store has been replaced and even if many stores are operating, I can't assume that they are doing better.- Not good
D- Population, I can't assume if the population is going to contribute to the well being of the new stores- Not good

It comes down to B & E

E- Unique merchandise, I need a reason that this merchandise will be a competitive advantage over colson's, the option does not tell me that people want this unique mechandise.
- Secondly, Read the conclusion again, we don't want to know about these stores and Spendless, our concern is with Colson, this has been put forward as a deception.
- the sliest point, we are not concerned with "many stores", we are concerned only with discount stores!

B- Increasingly, this clearly suggests that majority of the stores that have opened since Colson's opened have been Discount Stores.
The word "Increasingly" shows that there is a positive progression, or possibly a competitive advantage. "have opened and have been" show that it has happened over a certain period (5 years)
- most importantly, the option talks about discount stores( not many stores). DONE!! join the dots!

I hope it's clear now!

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 19

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 67

Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Leadership
GMAT 1: 650 Q47 V33
GPA: 4
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 16 Sep 2017, 09:00
In this case, the flaw in the argument is that the author assumes that the pattern will repeat, regardless of store type: big store moves in -> some stores close as a result -> other stores move in to take their place

However, Colson's was a nondiscount store, and Spendless is a discount store. We would have to know what types of stores are closing and opening. If, when Colson's moved in, nondiscount stores closed, but discount stores opened in their place, then when Spendless moves in, the discount stores will close, but there may not be any other type of store that's able to replace them. Basically, we need to know whether stores are being replaced by the same type of stores, or by cheaper ones.

A. Many customers of Colson’s are expected to do less shopping there than they did before the SpendLess store opened.
Our argument concerns the discount stores that closed because of Spendless, not Colson's. Irrelevant.

B. Increasingly, the stores that have opened in the central shopping district since Colson’s opened have been discount stores.
If the stores that came in were discount stores, there might not be anything else that could move in to replace those. This weakens the idea that these locations will not stay vacant for long. Correct.

C. At present, the central shopping district has as many stores operating in it as it ever had.
Current number of stores tells us nothing about whether they will stay vacant in the future.

D. Over the course of the next five years, it is expected that Goreville’s population will grow at a faster rate than it has for the past several decades.
This would strengthen the argument, if anything. More people would presumably lead to more stores and fewer vacancies.

E. Many stores in the central shopping district sell types of merchandise that are not available at either SpendLess or Colson’s.
We don't care about current stores. We only care about whether new stores will replace the ones that shut down because of Spendless.

The correct answer is B.

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 67

SVP
SVP
G

Kudos [?]: 167 [0], given: 2406

GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.64
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 29 Nov 2017, 14:59
this question is from OG, an important source.
The pattern here is that the author tries to argue that new stores will fill out the vacancies after old stores are out of business b/c of a discount department store. The main premise is the the second sentence that the same event happens to a nondiscount stores.

B weakens the argument in the sense that new stores will not fill out the vacancies easily b/c new stores are discount stores

Kudos [?]: 167 [0], given: 2406

Re: Although the discount stores in Goreville central shopping   [#permalink] 29 Nov 2017, 14:59

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4   5   [ 83 posts ] 

Although the discount stores in Goreville central shopping

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap