It is currently 19 Oct 2017, 08:10

STARTING SOON:

Live Chat with Cornell Adcoms in Main Chat Room  |  R1 Interview Invites: MIT Sloan Chat  |  UCLA Anderson Chat  |  Duke Fuqua Chat (EA Decisions)

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Although the fear last year that the trade zone might break

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

9 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 376 [9], given: 30

Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT Date: 08-01-2013
GPA: 3.7
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Although the fear last year that the trade zone might break [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Apr 2014, 17:44
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

75% (hard)

Question Stats:

45% (00:59) correct 55% (01:04) wrong based on 1269 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Although the fear last year that the trade zone might break apart had receded, the risk now could be prolonged stagnation of the kind that has plagued Argentina for the past two decades.

had receded, the risk now could be prolonged stagnation of the kind that has plagued Argentina for the past two decades
had receded, the risk now could be prolonged stagnation as it has plagued Argentina for the past two decades
receded, the risk now could be prolonged stagnation, just as it has plagued Argentina for the past two decades
has receded, the risk now could be prolonged stagnation, like it has plagued Argentina for the past two decades
has receded, the risk now could be prolonged stagnation, like that which has plagued Argentina for the past two decades
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

"Where are my Kudos" ............ Good Question = kudos

"Start enjoying all phases" & all Sections

http://gmatclub.com/forum/percentages-700-800-level-questions-130588.html

http://gmatclub.com/forum/700-to-800-level-quant-question-with-detail-soluition-143321.html

Kudos [?]: 376 [9], given: 30

2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 23 [2], given: 0

Reviews Badge
Re: Although the fear last year that the trade zone might break [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Apr 2014, 00:35
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
E is correct because

1) Had cannot be used as there were no two actions happening in the past
2) "Stagnation of the kind" is incorrect - 'of the kind' suggests that this stagnation is a smaller category of a bigger set of stagnations that plagued Argentina. But here we are comparing two exactly similar situations that happened in two different countries. Hence, the usage of "like that" in option E is better.

Kudos [?]: 23 [2], given: 0

1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Status: Everyone is a leader. Just stop listening to others.

Kudos [?]: 1845 [1], given: 229

GPA: 3.51
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 17 Apr 2014, 00:27
This post received
KUDOS
in (E) construction ' like that which' is quite awkward which introduces nonrestrictive clause always; even comma is missing;

Piyush K
-----------------------
Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is to try just one more time. ― Thomas A. Edison
Don't forget to press--> Kudos :)
My Articles: 1. WOULD: when to use? | 2. All GMATPrep RCs (New)
Tip: Before exam a week earlier don't forget to exhaust all gmatprep problems specially for "sentence correction".

Kudos [?]: 1845 [1], given: 229

1 KUDOS received
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 719 [1], given: 355

Concentration: Finance
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 09 May 2014, 13:21
This post received
KUDOS
A versus E anyone? Would like a back to back celebrity deathmatch between both answer choices

Cheers
J :)

Kudos [?]: 719 [1], given: 355

2 KUDOS received
Current Student
Status: Everyone is a leader. Just stop listening to others.

Kudos [?]: 1845 [2], given: 229

GPA: 3.51
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 10 May 2014, 12:34
This post received
KUDOS
I searched "like that which" on google and it presented "About 3,04,00,000 results". I think E is correct.

Piyush K
-----------------------
Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is to try just one more time. ― Thomas A. Edison
Don't forget to press--> Kudos :)
My Articles: 1. WOULD: when to use? | 2. All GMATPrep RCs (New)
Tip: Before exam a week earlier don't forget to exhaust all gmatprep problems specially for "sentence correction".

Kudos [?]: 1845 [2], given: 229

1 KUDOS received
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 9 [1], given: 80

WE: Engineering (Consumer Electronics)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 10 May 2014, 16:09
This post received
KUDOS
@ jlgdr,

My 2 cent thought

"A" is out because "had receded" in my opinion makes little sense with the presence of word "now". Whatever was the first event that occurred in past, has its effect and "has receded" fits that logic completely.
Although I dont know why "E" is correct. I picked up "D"

E&OE

Kudos [?]: 9 [1], given: 80

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 94 [1], given: 101

Show Tags

New post 10 May 2014, 20:15
This post received
KUDOS
[quote="Mountain14"]Although the fear last year that the trade zone might break apart had receded, the risk now could be prolonged stagnation of the kind that has plagued Argentina for the past two decades.

had receded, the risk now could be prolonged stagnation of the kind that has plagued Argentina for the past two decades
had receded, the risk now could be prolonged stagnation as it has plagued Argentina for the past two decades
receded, the risk now could be prolonged stagnation, just as it has plagued Argentina for the past two decades
has receded, the risk now could be prolonged stagnation, like it has plagued Argentina for the past two decades
has receded, the risk now could be prolonged stagnation, like that which has plagued Argentina for the past two decades[/quote

I chose C, because I know for sure that like+ phrase
but in D and E we have clause after like!!

A and B are out because of Had receded.

Kudos [?]: 94 [1], given: 101

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 27

Show Tags

New post 31 May 2014, 04:38
Mountain14 wrote:
Although the fear last year that the trade zone might break apart had receded, the risk now could be prolonged stagnation of the kind that has plagued Argentina for the past two decades.

has receded, the risk now could be prolonged stagnation, like that which has plagued Argentina for the past two decades

VERY HARD.

had receded has not past action in A and B . A and B is wrong.
in C, "risk could be stagnation as it has plaged" is not logic. there two actions can not be compared logically. we can not say logically: risk can be stagnation in the same way as it has plaged.
in D, "like it has" is not grammatical

If anyone in this gmat forum is in England,Britain, pls, email to me, (thanghnvn@gmail.com) . I have some questions and need your advise. Thank a lot.

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 27

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 73 [0], given: 1474

Show Tags

New post 07 Aug 2014, 12:23
I believed the 2 actions are happening in 2 different time frame hence opted for A.
If we select E , the next best choice, are we able to justify the intent of the sentence i.e. what it wants to convey as then both the actions seem to occur in same time frame?
Experts, Please comment!

Kudos [?]: 73 [0], given: 1474

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 5

Schools: Rotman '17 (A)
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V38

Show Tags

New post 07 Oct 2014, 03:26
I did not pick up E because it was missing a comma.
However, "Like that which" is an acceptable usage and therefore, this is the answer.

Of course, ... Like that, which... would have made me happy!

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 5

6 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 77 [6], given: 36

Schools: Mannheim

Show Tags

New post 07 Oct 2014, 04:37
This post received
KUDOS
Mountain14 wrote:

A vs E

Ladies and Gentlemen...let's get ready to rumbleeeeeeeeeeeee

A: [Although the fear (of) last year that the trade zone might break apart "had receded, the risk now..."]
had receded here indicates that an event took place before another event in the past; but no other event of the past is being introduced, --> "the risk NOW", which indicates the present.

E: [Although the fear (of) last year that the trade zone might break apart "has receded, the risk now.."]
has receded clearly links an event that has started in the past to the present "the risk now.." where it is being replaced by another risk.

--> E wins.

The other parts of these two options show no difference that would lead to an error in either one, in my opinion.

Kudos [?]: 77 [6], given: 36

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Kudos [?]: 261 [0], given: 0

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 19 Nov 2015, 16:54
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Kudos [?]: 261 [0], given: 0

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 139

Show Tags

New post 24 Nov 2015, 00:31
Is the "that which" construction legitimate on Gmat ? Experts please help.

Thanks.

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 139

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 2

Show Tags

New post 21 Dec 2015, 10:47
bb61 wrote:
Mountain14 wrote:

has receded, the risk now could be prolonged stagnation, like that which has plagued Argentina for the past two decades[/quote

I chose C, because I know for sure that like+ phrase
but in D and E we have clause after like!!

A and B are out because of Had receded.

Hi,
I got this one wrong for the same reason mentionned above: I thought the usage of like+verbal clause for a comparison is false. I had to choose C even if I wasn't convinced (ambigous usage of "it").
Could anyone help?
Thank you,

6 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
P
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying

Kudos [?]: 7897 [6], given: 363

WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 22 Dec 2015, 00:39
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
“like that which has plagued Argentina for the past two decades” is not a clause. It is a noun phrase; ‘that’ is the noun and what follows after the noun is a relative clause modifying the noun ‘that’ Of course, in D ‘like’ is followed by a clause. So E is the best.

“Better than a thousand days of diligent study is one day with a great teacher” – a Japanese proverb.

Kudos [?]: 7897 [6], given: 363

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 22 Dec 2015, 01:15
daagh wrote:
“like that which has plagued Argentina for the past two decades” is not a clause. It is a noun phrase; ‘that’ is the noun and what follows after the noun is a relative clause modifying the noun ‘that’ Of course, in D ‘like’ is followed by a clause. So E is the best.

Thank you Daagh for your answer.
I admit that I find it a bit difficult to distinguish the verbal clause in D and not in E (even in E we have a noun + verb). I think I have to review my basics... :oops:

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 68 [0], given: 15

Schools: ISB '15
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.76
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 02 Jan 2016, 12:10
Hi Experts,

Like when used for comparison should always be followed by noun
But here its followed by that (relative pronoun)
Is this construction valid in GMAT
Please advice

3 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
P
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying

Kudos [?]: 7897 [3], given: 363

WE: Education (Education)
Although the fear last year that the trade zone might break [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Jan 2016, 01:00
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Quote:
Kanigmat wrote

'Like' when used for comparison can be followed by a noun, or a pronoun or a noun+ noun modifier. It does not matter even if a relative clause that has a verb follows and modifies the noun as the clause is after all a modifier in the context

“Better than a thousand days of diligent study is one day with a great teacher” – a Japanese proverb.

Kudos [?]: 7897 [3], given: 363

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Schools: ISB '15
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.76
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 04 Jan 2016, 10:34
daagh wrote:
Quote:
Kanigmat wrote

'Like' when used for comparison can be followed by a noun, or a pronoun or a noun+ noun modifier. It does not matter even if a relative clause that has a verb follows and modifies the noun as the clause is after all a modifier in the context

Thanks Daagh,

I will make a note of this

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 355

GMAT 1: 590 Q39 V32
GRE 1: 310 Q159 V151
GRE 2: 312 Q159 V153
GPA: 2.9

Show Tags

New post 11 Aug 2016, 07:33
daagh: I was able to rule out option A & B, because past perfect is not needed. In option D, like is followed by a clause instead of a noun. Found option C to be 'precise'. In option E, the sentence construction is awkward, 'that' is an essential modifier and when which is preceded by a comma, it becomes a non essential modifier and I presume 'which' can also be used as an essential modifier. Why in this particular option both the modifiers are necessary.?

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 355

Re: Although the fear last year that the trade zone might break   [#permalink] 11 Aug 2016, 07:33

Go to page    1   2   3    Next  [ 49 posts ] 

Although the fear last year that the trade zone might break

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap