It is currently 17 Oct 2017, 08:38

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Although the first pulsar, or rapidly spinning collapsed star, to be s

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Kudos [?]: 261 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: Although the first pulsar, or rapidly spinning collapsed star, to be s [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 May 2014, 21:59
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 120 [0], given: 2405

GMAT 1: 620 Q44 V31
GMAT 2: 690 Q47 V37
GMAT 3: 610 Q47 V28
GMAT 4: 700 Q50 V34
GMAT 5: 700 Q49 V36
GMAT 6: 690 Q48 V35
GMAT 7: 750 Q49 V42
GMAT 8: 730 Q50 V39
Re: Although the first pulsar, or rapidly spinning collapsed star, to be s [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 May 2014, 06:54
BC have modifier issues
B: "in the summer" cannot be modified by "not announced"
C: "discovery" can't be "observed"
EA: "pulsars" can't be "announced"

Kudos [?]: 120 [0], given: 2405

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 69 [0], given: 120

Concentration: Technology, Marketing
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 22 Sep 2014, 09:10
A & C - out due to "had"
B - Out because of had and no subject in although clause.
D - correct answer - Discovery was not announced
E- it refers to sighted pulser and while presents two action at same time, we need contrast here

Consider +1 Kudos Please :)

Kudos [?]: 69 [0], given: 120

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 21

Show Tags

New post 19 Dec 2014, 06:44
what is wrong with E please explain ?? :roof

Regards
SG

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 21

Director
Director
S

Kudos [?]: 312 [0], given: 11

Show Tags

New post 19 Dec 2014, 07:50
smartyguy wrote:
what is wrong with E please explain ?? :roof

E says: The first sighted pulsar, or rapidly spinning collapsed star, was not announced until February, 1968, while it was observed in the summer of 1967 by graduate student Jocelyn Bell.

So, it basically says: The first sighted pulsar was not announced until February, 1968

It is nonsensical to say that pulsar was not announced; pulsar cannot be announced/unannounced.

Actually the observation/discovery (about the sighting of pulsar) was not announced until February, 1968. This is what E says.

Thanks,
Ashish (GMAT Faculty @ EducationAisle)
http://www.EducationAisle.com

Sentence Correction Nirvana available at Amazon.in and Flipkart

Now! Preview the entire Grammar Section of Sentence Correction Nirvana at pothi.com

Kudos [?]: 312 [0], given: 11

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 07 Jan 2016, 04:53
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 67

Show Tags

New post 17 May 2016, 10:38
This post was
BOOKMARKED
In the option c, is it not correct to use ' had not been announced before/until 1968' ? because to emphasize that ' announcement' has not been made before 1968. 'no announcement' is before 1968 so i thought it should be past perfect tense. i understand first sighting in 1967 and then announcement in 1968 . so, use of past perfect for announcement is wrong. but, without the first clause is it right to use past perfect for the second clause?

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 67

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Verbal Expert
S

Kudos [?]: 3279 [1], given: 22

Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 18 May 2016, 13:14
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
DeepikaV wrote:
In the option c, is it not correct to use ' had not been announced before/until 1968' ? because to emphasize that ' announcement' has not been made before 1968. 'no announcement' is before 1968 so i thought it should be past perfect tense. i understand first sighting in 1967 and then announcement in 1968 . so, use of past perfect for announcement is wrong. but, without the first clause is it right to use past perfect for the second clause?

Use of past perfect is redundant when using "before".
Correct: I left home before my father arrived.
Wrong: I had left home before my father arrived.

The following is an excerpt from Manhattan SC guide:

"Note that we do not always use the Past Perfect for earlier actions. In general, you should use Past Perfect only to clarify or emphasize a sequence of past events. The earlier event should somehow have a bearing on the context of the later event. Moreover, if the sequence is already obvious, we often do not need Past Perfect.

Laura LOCKED the deadbolt before she LEFT for work."

Kudos [?]: 3279 [1], given: 22

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 19

GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 11 Nov 2016, 07:59
All, this question is tricky. it comes down to small nuisances at the end. I follow that the logic for some of the choices is obviously wrong, but I just could not explain what made them wrong. Spent time reading your posts and the answer key in my book to close the gaps.

Split1) Verb. Past Perfect in A and C are not needed. The sequence is already obvious. We don’t need a past perfect. The word "before" is telling us the sequence of events. A and C are out.

Split2) Modifier. In B "in the summer" cannot modify "not announced" . Also, B is all over the place, "although not announced, in the summer..." is not logical sequence.

Split3) Conjunction not needed. The word "while" in E is a subordinate conjunction that indicates two different events happening. The truth is that the original sentence is telling us about a sequence of events and does not need a subordinate conjunction word "while". Not logical.

Manager
Manager

GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 12 Nov 2016, 10:34
Split1) Verb. The beginning is telling us that something happened in the past. So we must strive to keep things in the simple past as much as possible. Also, I chose the word "Although" as a split word. Looking at A, B and C, I found them to be incorrect = "although something, something else" meaning I want to read at the end a different outcome that the first dependent clause presents. A has past perfect verb that is not needed. How can an event that happened later use language that refers to something more back in the past?. B has a modifier error because "Although not announced until 1967," you need to say what is the subject of your sentence. what was announced in 1967? Jocelyn Bell? No, The discovery of the first pulsar. C changes the meaning. Also, in C, How can an event that happened later use language that refers to something more back in the past? All three don't fit with the Although word or have verb or meaning issues. A, B and C are out.

Split2) "while" in E is confusing. While means are other simultaneous events happening. that's strange because "although" told me that a different outcome will happen at the end of the sentence. While + Although, a dangerous combination in the same sentence. E is out.

Math Forum Moderator
D

Kudos [?]: 943 [0], given: 72

Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.2
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 13 Jan 2017, 23:26
Although the first pulsar, or rapidly spinning collapsed star, to be sighted was in the summer of 1967 by graduate student Jocelyn Bell, it had not been announced until February, 1968.

(A) Although the first pulsar, or rapidly spinning collapsed star, to be sighted was in the summer of 1967 by graduate student Jocelyn Bell, it had not been announced until February, 1968. - the first pulsar was in the summer does not make sense ; It does not have a proper logical antecdent ; verb tense issue
(B) Although not announced until February, 1968, in the summer of 1967 graduate student Jocelyn Bell observed the first pulsar, or rapidly spinning collapsed star, to be sighted. - Modifier although not announced J Bell
(C) Although observed by graduate student Jocelyn Bell in the summer of 1967, the discovery of the first sighted pulsar, or rapidly spinning collapsed star, had not been announced before February, 1968. - Modifier Although observed illogically modifies the discovery ; verb tense issue
(D) The first pulsar, or rapidly spinning collapsed star, to be sighted was observed in the summer of 1967 by graduate student Jocelyn Bell, but the discovery was not announced until February, 1968. - Correct
(E) The first sighted pulsar, or rapidly spinning collapsed star, was not announced until February, 1968, while it was observed in the summer of 1967 by graduate student Jocelyn Bell.
- illogical meaning - the pulsar itself was not announced
Answer D

When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it. - Henry Ford
The Moment You Think About Giving Up, Think Of The Reason Why You Held On So Long
+1 Kudos if you find this post helpful

Kudos [?]: 943 [0], given: 72

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 46

Show Tags

New post 14 Jan 2017, 03:01
'To be sighted' and 'was observed' are they not redundant in option D ? or do they take different stance here ? Why not simply say 'was observed'

2 KUDOS received
VP
VP
D

Kudos [?]: 877 [2], given: 53

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 14 Jan 2017, 05:00
This post received
KUDOS
pooja k wrote:
'To be sighted' and 'was observed' are they not redundant in option D ? or do they take different stance here ? Why not simply say 'was observed'

They can't be redundant. The sentence focuses on the time of the observation of the first special star that was sighted. "To be sighted" means the first one was sighted from the Earth. "was observed" is simply the main verb in that sentence.

Also, if you combine them: "The first pulsar was observed in the summer of 1967", this sentence distorts the meaning. First, "the first pulsar" means first of what? Second, this sentence indicates that people observed that star in 1967, this observation is not necessarily the first observation of that star.

Actual LSAT CR bank by Broall

How to solve quadratic equations - Factor quadratic equations
Factor table with sign: The useful tool to solve polynomial inequalities
Applying AM-GM inequality into finding extreme/absolute value

New Error Log with Timer

Kudos [?]: 877 [2], given: 53

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 14 Jan 2017, 11:23
Thank you nguyendinhtuong for the clarification :)

CEO
CEO
G

Kudos [?]: 392 [0], given: 182

Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.92
WE: General Management (Transportation)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 19 Jan 2017, 16:24
goodyear2013 wrote:
Although the first pulsar, or rapidly spinning collapsed star, to be sighted was in the summer of 1969 by graduate student Jocelyn Bell, it had not been announced until February, 1968.

a) Although the first pulsar, or rapidly spinning collapsed star, to be sighted was in the summer of 1969 by graduate student Jocelyn Bell, it had not been announced until February, 1968.
b) Although not announced until February, 1968, in the summer of 1967 graduate student Jocelyn Bell observed the first pulsar, or rapidly spinning collapsed star, to be sighted.
c) Although observed by graduate student Jocelyn Bell in the summer of 1967, the discovery of the first sighted pulsar, or rapidly spinning collapsed star, had not been announced before February, 1968.
d) The first pulsar, or rapidly spinning collapsed star, to be sighted was observed in the summer of 1967 by graduate student Jocelyn Bell, but the discovery was not announced until February, 1968.
e) The first sighted pulsar, or rapidly spinning collapsed star, was not announced until February, 1968, while it was observed in the summer of 1967 by graduate student Jocelyn Bell.

Hi, I added this Q as other post don't include OA

the wording is more appropriate in D.

in A - IT doesn't have a real antecedent. Since it creates ambiguities, A can be eliminated.
B - what was not announced until February 1968? clearly, the choice of words is poor in this sentence, which doesn't make any sense at all.
C - The discovery was not observed, the star was observed - from the beginning of the sentence, we can eliminate this choice easily.
D - looks good. meaning is clear
E - the discovery was not announced until Feb 1968. The star was there and still is.

D so far is the best option.

Kudos [?]: 392 [0], given: 182

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 135

GPA: 3.9
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 14 Feb 2017, 16:58
mejia401 wrote:
Mountain14 wrote:
Opted D and E,

but rejected D because of -" to be sighted was observed"

Can any one pls explain

"To be sighted was observed" is indeed a tricky construction. Remember infinitives can be adverbs, nouns, and adjectives. In this case, the infinitive is used as an adjective to "the first pulsar." The infinitive, like other verbals, carry an idea of action, and the idea of action is that "someone sighted the first pulsar." In passive tense, that is "the first pulsar was sighted by someone"; without the agent, it is "the first pulsar was sighted"; in infinitive-modifier form, we have "the first pulsar to be sighted." So, the blurb "the first pulsar to be sighted was observed..." is a bit less confusing once it's broken down.

I hope this helps.

Is it correct to say the below sentence?

the first student to be beaten left the school.

If yes, does it have the same meaning as the below sentence has?

The student who was beaten first left the school

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 135

Top Contributor
1 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
P
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying

Kudos [?]: 7868 [1], given: 363

WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 15 Feb 2017, 05:27
This post received
KUDOS
Top Contributor
Both sentences are correct in their own right; however, both differ subtly in their respective meanings --to be beaten means that the boy is yet to be beaten; If you want to refer to someone who has already been beaten, then you have to say either - the boy to have been beaten first or the beaten boy-.

“Better than a thousand days of diligent study is one day with a great teacher” – a Japanese proverb.

Kudos [?]: 7868 [1], given: 363

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 41

GPA: 3.75
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)

Show Tags

New post 15 Feb 2017, 10:36
Is the date in the question (1969) deliberately wrong??

If you like it, give kudos. Thanks :)

~audentes fortuna juvat~

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 41

Top Contributor
Retired Moderator
P
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying

Kudos [?]: 7868 [0], given: 363

WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 15 Feb 2017, 21:45
Top Contributor
1969 must be a typo and may be ignored. Choices B to E have rectified the mistake.

“Better than a thousand days of diligent study is one day with a great teacher” – a Japanese proverb.

Kudos [?]: 7868 [0], given: 363

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 100

Show Tags

New post 16 Feb 2017, 12:03
A - Although the first pulsar, or rapidly spinning collapsed star, to be sighted was in the summer of 1969 by graduate student Jocelyn Bell, it had not been announced until February, 1968. - The star was what ? The sentence does clearly state that
B - Although not announced until February, 1968, in the summer of 1967 graduate student Jocelyn Bell observed the first pulsar, or rapidly spinning collapsed star, to be sighted. - Here "in the summer" is modified by "Although not announced..." but it should that the star was sighted what was not announced
C- Although observed by graduate student Jocelyn Bell in the summer of 1967, the discovery of the first sighted pulsar, or rapidly spinning collapsed star, had not been announced before February, 1968. - Jocelyn Bell did not observed the discovery of the star, he observed the star itself, hence wrong modifier
D - Correct
E- The first sighted pulsar, or rapidly spinning collapsed star, was not announced until February, 1968, while it was observed in the summer of 1967 by graduate student Jocelyn Bell. - Also wrong modifier, one cannot announce a star. It should be the discovery what was not announced

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 100

Re: Although the first pulsar, or rapidly spinning collapsed star, to be s   [#permalink] 16 Feb 2017, 12:03

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3    Next  [ 47 posts ] 

Although the first pulsar, or rapidly spinning collapsed star, to be s

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap