Although the lesser cornstalk borer is widely distributed, : GMAT Sentence Correction (SC)
Check GMAT Club Decision Tracker for the Latest School Decision Releases https://gmatclub.com/AppTrack

It is currently 27 Feb 2017, 12:28
GMAT Club Tests

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Although the lesser cornstalk borer is widely distributed,

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 14 Mar 2010
Posts: 82
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 142 [0], given: 44

Although the lesser cornstalk borer is widely distributed, [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Apr 2012, 02:07
4
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  35% (medium)

Question Stats:

59% (01:59) correct 41% (01:00) wrong based on 339 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Although the lesser cornstalk borer is widely distributed, control of them is necessary only in the South.
(A) the lesser cornstalk borer is widely distributed, control of them is
(B) widely distributed, measures to control the lesser cornstalk borer are
(C) widely distributed, lesser cornstalk borer control is
(D) the lesser cornstalk borer is widely distributed, measures to control it are
(E) it is widely distributed, control of the lesser cornstalk borer is
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

_________________

MGMAT CAT MATH http://gmatclub.com/forum/mgmat-cat-math-144609.html
MGMAT SC SUMMARY: http://gmatclub.com/forum/mgmat-sc-summary-144610.html

Request Expert Reply
If you have any questions
you can ask an expert
New!
2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 19 Mar 2012
Posts: 174
Location: United States
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.69
WE: Analyst (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 49 [2] , given: 13

Re: the lesser cornstalk borer is widely distributed [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Apr 2012, 10:08
2
This post received
KUDOS
monir6000 wrote:
Although the lesser cornstalk borer is widely distributed, control of them is necessary only in the South.

(A) the lesser cornstalk borer is widely distributed, control of them is
Incorrect: "Lessor cornstalk borer" is singular, so "control of THEM" cannot be correct

(B) widely distributed, measures to control the lesser cornstalk borer are
Incorrect: This is saying that the "measures to control lesser cornstalk borer" are widely distributed, when the original sentence says that the "lesser cornstalk borer" itself is widely distributed.

(C) widely distributed, lesser cornstalk borer control is
Incorrect: Saying that "lesser cornstalk borer control" is widely distributed, when it should be the "lesser cornstalk borer" itself that is widely distributed.

(D) the lesser cornstalk borer is widely distributed, measures to control it are
Correct: "It" agrees with "lesser cornstalk borer" and "are" agrees with "measures"

(E) it is widely distributed, control of the lesser cornstalk borer is

Incorrect: Same reasoning as C
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 14 Mar 2010
Posts: 82
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 142 [0], given: 44

the lesser cornstalk borer is widely distributed [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Apr 2012, 21:39
Thanks for ur valuable post. Is it Gmat like question?
_________________

MGMAT CAT MATH http://gmatclub.com/forum/mgmat-cat-math-144609.html
MGMAT SC SUMMARY: http://gmatclub.com/forum/mgmat-sc-summary-144610.html

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 13 Feb 2012
Posts: 144
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.67
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 107

Re: the lesser cornstalk borer is widely distributed [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Apr 2012, 22:20
monir6000 wrote:
Thanks for ur valuable post. Is it Gmat like question?


Yes I think so. This question has wrong modifier, change in meaning problems. These types of questions are frequently used in GMAT.
_________________

Kudos!!!... If you think I help you in some ways....

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Status: Juggg..Jugggg Go!
Joined: 11 May 2012
Posts: 254
Location: India
GC Meter: A.W.E.S.O.M.E
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GMAT 1: 620 Q46 V30
GMAT 2: 720 Q50 V38
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 43 [0], given: 239

Reviews Badge
Re: the lesser cornstalk borer is widely distributed [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Jul 2012, 18:01
Oops I got confuesd which one was the underlined part!
I recommend whoever posts the question kindly underline the question :-(

Posted from my mobile device Image
_________________

You haven't failed, if you haven't given up!
---
bschooladmit
Visit my Blog www.bschooladmit.wordpress.com

Check out my other posts:
Bschool Deadlines 2013-2014 | Bschool Admission Events 2013 Start your GMAT Prep with Stacey Koprince | Get a head start in MBA finance

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
User avatar
Joined: 01 Oct 2013
Posts: 10639
Followers: 940

Kudos [?]: 207 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: Although the lesser cornstalk borer is widely distributed, [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Jun 2014, 18:34
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
User avatar
Joined: 01 Oct 2013
Posts: 10639
Followers: 940

Kudos [?]: 207 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: Although the lesser cornstalk borer is widely distributed, [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Sep 2016, 01:31
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 16 Jul 2015
Posts: 17
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 29

Re: Although the lesser cornstalk borer is widely distributed, [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Nov 2016, 07:40
monir6000 wrote:
Although the lesser cornstalk borer is widely distributed, control of them is necessary only in the South.
(A) the lesser cornstalk borer is widely distributed, control of them is
(B) widely distributed, measures to control the lesser cornstalk borer are
(C) widely distributed, lesser cornstalk borer control is
(D) the lesser cornstalk borer is widely distributed, measures to control it are
(E) it is widely distributed, control of the lesser cornstalk borer is


Hi,

What is the source of this question?

Per the concept of Parallelism: In Although X, Y form-> X and Y should be Parallel.

Option D states: Although the lessor cornstalk borer ...., measures to control.....
Here the bold and underlined parts should be parallel, which is not the case and hence I believe this should not be the correct choice.

Experts kindly let me know if my understanding is correct.
Expert Post
Verbal Expert
User avatar
B
Joined: 14 Dec 2013
Posts: 2770
Location: Germany
Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
Followers: 396

Kudos [?]: 1786 [0], given: 22

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Although the lesser cornstalk borer is widely distributed, [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Nov 2016, 09:30
andy2502 wrote:
monir6000 wrote:
Although the lesser cornstalk borer is widely distributed, control of them is necessary only in the South.
(A) the lesser cornstalk borer is widely distributed, control of them is
(B) widely distributed, measures to control the lesser cornstalk borer are
(C) widely distributed, lesser cornstalk borer control is
(D) the lesser cornstalk borer is widely distributed, measures to control it are
(E) it is widely distributed, control of the lesser cornstalk borer is


Hi,

What is the source of this question?

Per the concept of Parallelism: In Although X, Y form-> X and Y should be Parallel.

Option D states: Although the lessor cornstalk borer ...., measures to control.....
Here the bold and underlined parts should be parallel, which is not the case and hence I believe this should not be the correct choice.

Experts kindly let me know if my understanding is correct.


"Although" is used to depict contrast between a dependent clause and an independent clause (the clause containing "although" is the dependent clause).
Although I am tired, I must go.
He did not score well, although he studied hard.

Similarly in option D, a dependent clause " Although the lesser cornstalk borer is widely distributed" is contrasted with an independent clause "measures to control it are necessary only in the South." Option D is alright.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 16 Jul 2015
Posts: 17
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 29

Re: Although the lesser cornstalk borer is widely distributed, [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Nov 2016, 10:52
sayantanc2k wrote:
andy2502 wrote:
monir6000 wrote:
Although the lesser cornstalk borer is widely distributed, control of them is necessary only in the South.
(A) the lesser cornstalk borer is widely distributed, control of them is
(B) widely distributed, measures to control the lesser cornstalk borer are
(C) widely distributed, lesser cornstalk borer control is
(D) the lesser cornstalk borer is widely distributed, measures to control it are
(E) it is widely distributed, control of the lesser cornstalk borer is


Hi,

What is the source of this question?

Per the concept of Parallelism: In Although X, Y form-> X and Y should be Parallel.

Option D states: Although the lessor cornstalk borer ...., measures to control.....
Here the bold and underlined parts should be parallel, which is not the case and hence I believe this should not be the correct choice.

Experts kindly let me know if my understanding is correct.


"Although" is used to depict contrast between a dependent clause and an independent clause (the clause containing "although" is the dependent clause).
Although I am tired, I must go.
He did not score well, although he studied hard.

Similarly in option D, a dependent clause " Although the lesser cornstalk borer is widely distributed" is contrasted with an independent clause "measures to control it are necessary only in the South." Option D is alright.



Thanks sayantanc2k for the reply. I understand that 'Although' is used to create a contrast and connects 2 clauses. However, I am not clear on whether there has to be parallelism between the 2 connected entities.

In the examples you quoted, I can notice parallelism between the two entities(refer bold highlighted below):

Although I am tired, I must go.
He did not score well, although he studied hard.

Similarly in the question above, I assume the choice should have been:

Although the lesser cornstalk borer is widely distributed, it has to be controlled only in the South.
Expert Post
Verbal Expert
User avatar
B
Joined: 14 Dec 2013
Posts: 2770
Location: Germany
Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
Followers: 396

Kudos [?]: 1786 [0], given: 22

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Although the lesser cornstalk borer is widely distributed, [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Nov 2016, 11:13
andy2502 wrote:

Thanks sayantanc2k for the reply. I understand that 'Although' is used to create a contrast and connects 2 clauses. However, I am not clear on whether there has to be parallelism between the 2 connected entities.

In the examples you quoted, I can notice parallelism between the two entities(refer bold highlighted below):

Although I am tired, I must go.
He did not score well, although he studied hard.

Similarly in the question above, I assume the choice should have been:

Although the lesser cornstalk borer is widely distributed, it has to be controlled only in the South.


This concept is not about parallelism, but about sentence structure. It is not required that the subject of the clauses be the same.

We went to play, although it was raining... correct.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 16 Jul 2015
Posts: 17
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 29

Re: Although the lesser cornstalk borer is widely distributed, [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Nov 2016, 11:54
sayantanc2k wrote:
andy2502 wrote:

Thanks sayantanc2k for the reply. I understand that 'Although' is used to create a contrast and connects 2 clauses. However, I am not clear on whether there has to be parallelism between the 2 connected entities.

In the examples you quoted, I can notice parallelism between the two entities(refer bold highlighted below):

Although I am tired, I must go.
He did not score well, although he studied hard.

Similarly in the question above, I assume the choice should have been:

Although the lesser cornstalk borer is widely distributed, it has to be controlled only in the South.


This concept is not about parallelism, but about sentence structure. It is not required that the subject of the clauses be the same.

We went to play, although it was raining... correct.

Okay, now I understand. Thanks!!
Re: Although the lesser cornstalk borer is widely distributed,   [#permalink] 12 Nov 2016, 11:54
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
Although the lesser cornstalk borer is widely distributed, jitgoel 2 05 Sep 2012, 05:13
17 Experts publish their posts in the topic Although the lesser cornstalk borer is widely distributed, monir6000 12 22 Apr 2012, 02:04
distribution noboru 2 07 Feb 2010, 08:27
100 Experts publish their posts in the topic Distribution of SC questions - Strategy hgp2k 26 22 Oct 2009, 16:54
1 Although the lesser cornstalk borer is widely distributed, AlbertNTN 6 18 Apr 2008, 07:53
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Although the lesser cornstalk borer is widely distributed,

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.