Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 09:33 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 09:33

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 162 [13]
Given Kudos: 34
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.37
WE:Analyst (Consulting)
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 4468 [3]
Given Kudos: 221
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
GPA: 3.75
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 70 [1]
Given Kudos: 27
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: Although the losing party disapproves of every aspect of the opponent' [#permalink]
D

Pronoun and tense error

singular pronoun 'it' should be used
two actions in the past are being discussed, so past perfect must be used.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 170 [1]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Send PM
Re: Although the losing party disapproves of every aspect of the opponent' [#permalink]
Kudos
I agree that B in correct due to present tense, but in D- had disapproved of every aspect of the opponent's platform, it later conceded that there must be a basis-- shouldn't a simple past be used here instead of past prefect, as later is making clear the sequence of events.

Kindly correct me if I am wrong
Director
Director
Affiliations: NYK Line
Own Kudos [?]: 1857 [3]
Given Kudos: 70
GMAT 1: 410 Q35 V11
GMAT 2: 530 Q44 V20
GMAT 3: 630 Q45 V31
GPA: 3.84
WE:Engineering (Transportation)
Send PM
Kudos
veenu08 wrote:
I agree that B in correct due to present tense, but in D- had disapproved of every aspect of the opponent's platform, it later conceded that there must be a basis-- shouldn't a simple past be used here instead of past prefect, as later is making clear the sequence of events.

HI
I ll be happy if my post helps!!
There are two events...
First one :A disapproval
Second: Conceding to a point
Both are in past. So we must use "past perfect" for the former and "Simple past for the "later"
So disapproval must use had and concede must use simple past.

Consider kudos If my post helps!!!

Archit
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 4468 [1]
Given Kudos: 221
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
GPA: 3.75
Send PM
Kudos
MonSama wrote:
Although the losing party disapproves of every aspect of the opponent's platform, they later conceded that there must be a basis for a cooperative government and agreed to compromise.
(A) disapproves of every aspect of the opponent's platform, they later conceded that there must be a basis
(B) disapproves of every aspect of the opponent's platform, it later conceded that there must be a basis
(C) disapproved of every aspect of the opponent's platform, they later conceded that there had to be some basis
(D) had disapproved of every aspect of the opponent's platform, it later conceded that there must be a basis
(E) had disapproved of every aspect of the opponent's platform, they later conceded that there were grounds

In A C E, the problem is the usage of "they".
In B, the usage of present tense doesn't gels well with the past tense. Since there are two events, hence "had" becomes necessary.
+1D.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 46 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Send PM
veenu08 wrote:

You are not wrong. But D is correct because there is no better choice. If there were to be an option which uses a simple past and which rectifies the pronoun number error for party-it pair, we can choose that option.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 170 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
veenu08 wrote:

Good point Veenu. The time is clearly indicated by the use of later. But disapproves is in present tense. So B goes away.
Option D is what we have to live with.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 328 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: Finance, International Business
WE:Project Management (Telecommunications)
Send PM
it might refer to platform or party, no?
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 5425 [1]
Given Kudos: 346
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
paidlukkha wrote:

No, when we have the construction of the form Although ..., pronoun ... , the pronoun always refer to the Subject of the clause after although.

Hence, Although the losing party disapproves of every aspect of the opponent's platform, it later

Thus, in the above example , It clearly refers to Losing Party.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 194 [0]
Given Kudos: 275
abhimahna wrote:
paidlukkha wrote:

No, when we have the construction of the form Although ..., pronoun ... , the pronoun always refer to the Subject of the clause after although.

Hence, Although the losing party disapproves of every aspect of the opponent's platform, it later

Thus, in the above example , It clearly refers to Losing Party.

Hi abhimahna

Can there be an exception to this rule?

Thanks
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 194 [0]
Given Kudos: 275
Will this be correct version of this sentence:

Although the losing party disapproved of every aspect of the opponent's platform, it later conceded that there must be a basis for a cooperative government and agreed to compromise.

Because of the word "later" that clearly shows the sequence.
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 5425 [0]
Given Kudos: 346
Send PM
Expert Reply
Shiv2016 wrote:
Hi abhimahna

Can there be an exception to this rule?

Thanks

No, there is no exception to this rule as far as I remember.

Shiv2016 wrote:
Will this be correct version of this sentence:

Although the losing party disapproved of every aspect of the opponent's platform, it later conceded that there must be a basis for a cooperative government and agreed to compromise.

Because of the word "later" that clearly shows the sequence.

Yes, this sentence works fine. Sequencing is shown using the work later.
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618961 [1]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
monsama wrote:
Although the losing party disapproves of every aspect of the opponent's platform, they later conceded that there must be a basis for a cooperative government and agreed to compromise.

(A) disapproves of every aspect of the opponent's platform, they later conceded that there must be a basis

(B) disapproves of every aspect of the opponent's platform, it later conceded that there must be a basis

(C) disapproved of every aspect of the opponent's platform, they later conceded that there had to be some basis

(D) had disapproved of every aspect of the opponent's platform, it later conceded that there must be a basis

(E) had disapproved of every aspect of the opponent's platform, they later conceded that there were grounds

KAPLAN OFFICIAL EXPLANATION:

Always be suspicious of the pronoun they. In the original sentence, it should refer to the losing party, but it fails to do so correctly because losing party is singular and they is plural. Eliminate (A), (C), and (E). Pause to briefly congratulate yourself for eliminating three choices so quickly, and scan for differences among (B) and (D). They offer different options for the first verb, and since the party later conceded that a cooperative government was necessary, the first verb needs to describe a time before that concession. The present tense is out; had disapproved has to be the correct choice, and that leaves (D).

An 800 test taker realizes that it and they, even though they are commonly misused, are still pronouns and still need to refer to particular nouns. He is suspicious whenever he sees either underlined in a Sentence Correction question.
hi, Got the answer correct, but just got a doubt that here "and"is a parralel marker, so Why "that- that" parallelism is not maintained over here. please explain how X and Y are parallel.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
Schools: IIMA PGPX"20
WE:Engineering (Consulting)
Send PM
OFFICIAL EXPLANATION

There are two errors with the sentence as written. Since the second clause of the sentence specifies that it happens "later" than the first, the first clause must be in past perfect tense (had disapproved), rather than present tense. There is also a pronoun disagreement error. "Party" is singular, so it has to be referred to by a singular pronoun: it, not "they." Eliminate (A) due to these errors.

The pronoun issue is easier to scan for, and the remaining choices can be grouped into those that do not fix the error, (C) and (E), and those that do, (B) and (D). (C) and (E) can thus be eliminated. (B), while fixing the pronoun issue, fails to use the past perfect tense for the first verb. (D) is thus correct.

TAKEAWAY: If you identify two errors in a sentence, use the one that's easier to scan for to group the choices.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts