It is currently 12 Dec 2017, 03:40

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Although the manager agreed to a more flexible work

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 281 [1], given: 0

Although the manager agreed to a more flexible work [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Aug 2008, 17:28
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

58% (01:23) correct 42% (01:17) wrong based on 286 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Although the manager agreed to a more flexible work schedule, he said that it must be posted on the bulletin board so that both management and labor will know what everyone is assigned to do.
(A) he said that it must be posted on the bulletin board so that both management and labor will know what everyone is
(B) he said it had to be posted on the bulletin board so that both management and labor knows what everyone is
(C) he said that they would have to post the assignments on the bulletin board so that management and labor knew what everyone was
(D) he said that the schedule would have to be posted on the bulletin board so that both management and labor would know what everyone was
(E) saying that the schedule had to be posted on the bulletin board so that both management and labor would know what everyone had been

Kudos [?]: 281 [1], given: 0

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 398 [0], given: 0

Re: SC Although the manager agreed to a more flexible [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Aug 2008, 20:01
IMO A

ssandeepan wrote:
Although the manager agreed to a more flexible work schedule, he said that it must be posted on the bulletin board so that both management and labor will know what everyone is assigned to do.
(A) he said that it must be posted on the bulletin board so that both management and labor will know what everyone is ("it" correctly refers to schedule; and "is" is necessary since it needs to be in present tense you cannot have "was assigned" as it will make it past tense.
(B) he said it had to be posted on the bulletin board so that both management and labor knows what everyone is ("had" is wrong; to use "had" correctly you need to past activities and the had will go with the activity that happened first)
(C) he said that they would have to post the assignments on the bulletin board so that management and labor knew what everyone was
(D) he said that the schedule would have to be posted on the bulletin board so that both management and labor would know what everyone was (was)
(E) saying that the schedule had to be posted on the bulletin board so that both management and labor would know what everyone had been
. "had" is also wrong --- it does not follow past perfect rules.

Kudos [?]: 398 [0], given: 0

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 170 [0], given: 1

Show Tags

New post 11 Aug 2008, 09:24
OA seems to be A)
11-t36601

Kudos [?]: 170 [0], given: 1

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 170 [0], given: 10

Show Tags

New post 16 Jul 2009, 19:47
This post was
BOOKMARKED
99. Although the manager agreed to a more flexible work schedule, he said that it must be posted on the bulletin board so that both management and labor will know what everyone is assigned to do.
(A) he said that it must be posted on the bulletin board so that both management and labor will know what everyone is
(B) he said it had to be posted on the bulletin board so that both management and labor knows what everyone is
(D) he said that the schedule would have to be posted on the bulletin board so that both management and labor would know what everyone was
Here although part in past(agreed) ....he said(past) then it must be management (knew)---Plz clarify the use of tenses in the options
I need clarification between A, C and D....

Kudos [?]: 170 [0], given: 10

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 0

Re: 99/1000 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Jul 2009, 05:15
A looks like the correct ans.Plz post the OA.

C is wrong because 'they' does not have an antecedent i.e. it is not referring to anything

D uses the wrong tense 'was'

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 0

1 KUDOS received
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 879 [1], given: 99

Show Tags

New post 17 Jul 2009, 06:50
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Maulikgmat wrote:
99. Although the manager agreed to a more flexible work schedule, he said that it must be posted on the bulletin board so that both management and labor will know what everyone is assigned to do.
Here although part in past(agreed) ....he said(past) then it must be management (knew)---Plz clarify the use of tenses in the options

you need a independent clause after the comma (or after the dependent clause in our case) so E doesn't make sense.
in E, 'saying that' here saying is 'verb' but who is saying it? so subject is missing.

'B' is wrong because this option needs a 'that clause' 'he said it' is wrong. and 'had to be' and 'is' ..doesnt make sense.

C ..'they' refers to what?
D is wrong for past tense use.
correct answer should start with 'he said that it' ...So A is fine.

Kudos [?]: 879 [1], given: 99

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 925 [0], given: 56

WE 1: 5.5 yrs in IT

Show Tags

New post 17 Jul 2009, 22:58
IMO A.

D is changing the meaning of original sentence by using " would have to be posted " which introduces uncertainity. Whereas A is using "must"

ISB 2011-12 thread | Ask ISB Alumni @ ThinkISB
All information related to Indian candidates and B-schools | Indian B-schools accepting GMAT scores
Self evaluation for Why MBA?

Kudos [?]: 925 [0], given: 56

VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 1515 [0], given: 2

Schools: CBS
WE 1: 4 years (Consulting)

Show Tags

New post 18 Aug 2009, 11:29
This post was
BOOKMARKED

The sky is the limit
800 is the limit

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 159 [0], given: 14

Re: the manager [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Aug 2009, 17:21
humm , i first picked D and then A

D has a mistake

was - is incorrect

ugimba - did you rejected this because this is passive

if i change this to
he said that the schedule would have to be posted on the bulletin board so that both management and labor would know what everyone is

will option D becomes correct ?

Always tag your question

Kudos [?]: 159 [0], given: 14

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 44 [0], given: 9

Concentration: Nonprofit, Strategy
GPA: 3.42
WE: Engineering (Computer Hardware)

Show Tags

New post 18 Aug 2009, 17:29
A, said that is needed, so B is out, said ... past tense to agree with the first part of the sentence, so E is out, E is also not a complete sentence...D they is unclear who "they" are....C why would they need to know what everyone "was" doing, they want to know what everyone is doing at the moment...so think the past tense in C doesn't make sense...

Kudos [?]: 44 [0], given: 9

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 879 [0], given: 99

Show Tags

New post 18 Aug 2009, 17:50
ichha148 wrote:
humm , i first picked D and then A

D has a mistake

was - is incorrect

ugimba - did you rejected this because this is passive

if i change this to
he said that the schedule would have to be posted on the bulletin board so that both management and labor would know what everyone is

will option D becomes correct ?

I too thought D was correct at the beginning but some how 'would have to be posted' did not sound right .... I think at the end of D,'was' is correct. or may be 'were' to tell past unreal but I don't see how that fits here. but definitely not 'is'.

Kudos [?]: 879 [0], given: 99

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 136 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 18 Aug 2009, 20:11

We can eliminate all answer choices that have it, because in this case, it refers to the 'flexible work schedule'. And obviously what needs to be posted here is simply the work schedule. Flexible is just an adjective modifyuing the work schedule.

Same explantion as above.

(C) he said that they would have to post the assignments on the bulletin board so that management and labor knew what everyone was - who are 'they'?

(D) he said that the schedule would have to be posted on the bulletin board so that both management and labor would know what everyone was - I like this choice because it repeats the word schedule. Seems clear and no ambiguities.

(E) saying that the schedule had to be posted on the bulletin board so that both management and labor would know what everyone had been - run on sentence, In correct use of 'had been' past perfect continuous.

What is the OA?

Kudos [?]: 136 [0], given: 0

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 1

Show Tags

New post 18 Aug 2009, 23:48
This post was
BOOKMARKED

the schedule is yet ot be poted so everyone " is " yet to know their assigned tasks ...
so straight away eliminate C,D,E ...

"Management and labor" should go with "know" as it is a plural usage .... so eliminate B as well.

A is right.

Regards,
Saaquib

If you find any grammatical mistake in my post please don't hesitate in pointing out.

Please +1 if you find this post useful.

My Blog

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 1

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 88 [0], given: 10

Show Tags

New post 31 Oct 2009, 15:27
A brings a tense issue.

I would have chosen D... even if the OS "seems" to be A!

Any advice of experts?

Kudos [?]: 88 [0], given: 10

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 337 [1], given: 1

Show Tags

New post 15 Nov 2009, 00:41
This post received
KUDOS
Maulikgmat wrote:

Choice C contains “they” which incorrectly refers to work schedule. Hence Choice C is out.

Regarding A and D. “would have” is used in conditional statements Ex: If I had X, I would have Y.

If manager is putting conditions to agree for a more flexible schedule "would have" could have been a better choice. however in this case the manager has already agreed for a more flexible schedule. So a simple future tense would suffice
So D is out
Hence the correct sentence is A

Kudos [?]: 337 [1], given: 1

Tuck Thread Master

Kudos [?]: 168 [0], given: 69

Schools: Stanford (in), Tuck (WL), Wharton (ding), Cornell (in)

Show Tags

New post 03 Mar 2010, 03:20
I think the so called OA is wrong and correct answer is (D).

The reason is that, when we use reported speech, all the verbs should be in the tenses that were appropriate for the time of speaking.

In our case, everything manager says should be in the future in the past ("would"). Using simple present is wrong.

Kudos [?]: 168 [0], given: 69

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 236 [0], given: 0

Schools: ISB

Show Tags

New post 03 Mar 2010, 03:33
shalva wrote:

The reason is that, when we use reported speech, all the verbs should be in the tenses that were appropriate for the time of speaking.

In our case, everything manager says should be in the future in the past ("would"). Using simple present is wrong.

Even I thought that D is correct but eliminated it coz of "what everyone was assigned to do". I believe that was here is incorrect. Moreover the intent of the given sentence by using would instead of must is altered in some way.

COnsider KUDOS if you like the post !!!

CONSIDER AWARDING KUDOS IF MY POST HELPS !!!

Kudos [?]: 236 [0], given: 0

VP
VP

Show Tags

New post 17 Jul 2010, 14:06
I am with D, because for me is tha way to report indirect speech, but OA is A.
Could anybody clarify?

The sky is the limit
800 is the limit

VP
VP

Show Tags

New post 17 Jul 2010, 14:09
shalva wrote:

Same here.
I am with D, since I think it is the way used to report indirect speech.
Could anybody clarify?
Thanks

The sky is the limit
800 is the limit

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 4

GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39

Show Tags

New post 17 Jul 2010, 19:46
sudeep wrote:
ugimba wrote:
noboru wrote:

we should have 'he said that'
A

Can you explain why 'that' is necessary?

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 4

Re: the manager   [#permalink] 17 Jul 2010, 19:46

Go to page    1   2   3    Next  [ 55 posts ] 

Although the manager agreed to a more flexible work

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap