GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 23 Mar 2019, 22:06

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Although the market tempts guitarists with digital signal processors

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Although the market tempts guitarists with digital signal processors  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 05 Mar 2019, 07:41
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

95% (hard)

Question Stats:

31% (01:52) correct 69% (01:51) wrong based on 461 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Although the market tempts guitarists with digital signal processors of every shape and size, few of these products manage to come close to creates the characteristic analog sound that hand-made effects pedals provide.

(A) few of these products manage to come close to creates the characteristic analog sound that hand-made effects pedals provide

(B) few of these products manage to come close to creating the characteristic analog sound that hand-made effects pedals providing

(C) only some of these products managing to come close to creating the characteristic analog sound that hand-made effects pedals provide

(D) hardly any of these products manage to came close to creating the characteristic analog sound that hand-made effects pedals provide

(E) a hand-made effects pedal provides a characteristic analog sound that only some of these products manage to come close to creating

Originally posted by goodyear2013 on 06 Apr 2014, 16:02.
Last edited by Bunuel on 05 Mar 2019, 07:41, edited 1 time in total.
Renamed the topic and edited the question.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V35
GPA: 3.19
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Although the market tempts guitarists with digital signal processors  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 May 2015, 21:13
This is clear split between D and E

But D changes meaning of oringinal statement -
as per original statement .. only few of those products come close to XYZ
but D has - Hardly any -
Now look at below meaning changing example -

Hardly increased – means little increase
Hardly any increase –no increase

as per statement D - no product come close to XYZ... which changes intended meaning of original statement.

Hence E is correct.

Press +1 Kudos if you find this Post helpful :)

Retired Moderator
S
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
#Top150 SC: Although the market tempts guitarists with digital signal  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Dec 2015, 13:41
souvik101990 wrote:
Although the market tempts guitarists with digital signal processors of every shape and size, few of these products manage to come close to creates the characteristic analog sound that hand-made effects pedals provide.

A. few of these products manage to come close to creates the characteristic analog sound that hand-made effects pedals provide

B. few of these products manage to come close to creating the characteristic analog sound that hand-made effects pedals providing

C. only some of these products managing to come close to creating the characteristic analog sound that hand-made effects pedals provide

D. hardly any of these products manage to came close to creating the characteristic analog sound that hand-made effects pedals provide

E. a hand-made effects pedal provides a characteristic analog sound that only some of these products manage to come close to creating

can someone explain the question whether it is correctly formed?
how can E be the answer as it ends with v+ing form.
experts help :|
Intern
Intern
Re: #Top150 SC: Although the market tempts guitarists with digital signal  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Dec 2015, 03:32
Nevernevergiveup wrote:
souvik101990 wrote:

A. few of these products manage to come close to creates the characteristic analog sound that hand-made effects pedals provide

B. few of these products manage to come close to creating the characteristic analog sound that hand-made effects pedals providing

C. only some of these products managing to come close to creating the characteristic analog sound that hand-made effects pedals provide

D. hardly any of these products manage to came close to creating the characteristic analog sound that hand-made effects pedals provide

E. a hand-made effects pedal provides a characteristic analog sound that only some of these products manage to come close to creating

i think the SV agreement has to be with 'come' and not with 'creating'.
for example: "Chelsea came close to winning the match against Arsenal but they lost."
Manhattan Prep Instructor
S
Re: #Top150 SC: Although the market tempts guitarists with digital signal  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Dec 2015, 04:05
Nevernevergiveup, can you clarify your question? What is your objection to ending with "creating"?

Dmitry Farber | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | New York

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile |
Manhattan GMAT Reviews

Math Expert
V
#Top150 SC: Although the market tempts guitarists with digital signal  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Dec 2015, 04:27
DmitryFarber wrote:
Nevernevergiveup, can you clarify your question? What is your objection to ending with "creating"?

Hi,
i may not have the objection mentioned but yes I do feel the choice E is not conveying the contrast that 'although' is supposed to..

Although the market tempts guitarists with digital signal processors of every shape and size, a hand-made effects pedal provides a characteristic analog soundthat only some of these products manage to come close to creating...
the portion after that modifies the sound part..
How is contrast being conveyed with the structure of words/sentence....

1) Absolute modulus : http://gmatclub.com/forum/absolute-modulus-a-better-understanding-210849.html#p1622372
2)Combination of similar and dissimilar things : http://gmatclub.com/forum/topic215915.html
3) effects of arithmetic operations : https://gmatclub.com/forum/effects-of-arithmetic-operations-on-fractions-269413.html
4) Base while finding % increase and % decrease : https://gmatclub.com/forum/percentage-increase-decrease-what-should-be-the-denominator-287528.html

GMAT Expert

S

Show Tags

New post 29 Dec 2015, 04:33
Although there are many digital products, only some of them can come close to an analog sound. There's a contrast between the wide availability of products and the ability of those products to produce a certain desirable sound.

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile |
Manhattan GMAT Reviews

Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 29 Dec 2015, 04:43
DmitryFarber wrote:
Although there are many digital products, only some of them can come close to an analog sound. There's a contrast between the wide availability of products and the ability of those products to produce a certain desirable sound.

Hi DmitryFarber,
Yes, this is what the sentence is expected to bring out, but does it do that clearly?

The sentence should have read..
Although the market tempts guitarists with digital signal processors of every shape and size, only some of these products manage to come close to creating a analog sound that a hand......

How can contrast be created by the contrast itself hiding in a subordinate clause..
although the market......, main clause .. that .. the contrast..
I am sure we should have the clause carrying the contrast close to the 'comma' rather than tucked in a corner..

1) Absolute modulus : http://gmatclub.com/forum/absolute-modulus-a-better-understanding-210849.html#p1622372
2)Combination of similar and dissimilar things : http://gmatclub.com/forum/topic215915.html
3) effects of arithmetic operations : https://gmatclub.com/forum/effects-of-arithmetic-operations-on-fractions-269413.html
4) Base while finding % increase and % decrease : https://gmatclub.com/forum/percentage-increase-decrease-what-should-be-the-denominator-287528.html

GMAT Expert

Retired Moderator
S

Show Tags

New post 29 Dec 2015, 07:00
DmitryFarber wrote:

To me option E looks like a fragment and improperly structured as it looks as below

Quote:
Although the market tempts sb with sth,
a hand-made effects pedal provides a characteristic analog sound that only some of these products manage to come close to creating.

I feel it is awkward for a sentence to end with verb+ing and can be much better.
Board of Directors
P
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.92
WE: General Management (Transportation)

Show Tags

New post 30 Dec 2015, 22:17
what's wrong with D? :)
Retired Moderator
S

Show Tags

New post 30 Dec 2015, 22:33
mvictor wrote:
what's wrong with D? :)

past tense form of verb come i.e., came plays the spoilsport here in option D.
Since whole sentence is in simple present tense, past tense verb came does not fit here and hence option D is incorrect.
S

Show Tags

New post 31 Dec 2015, 00:08
Also, the infinitive form of a verb never changes, regardless of tense. In other words, "to came" will never be correct under any circumstances.

I wanted to come to the party.
I have wanted to come to the party ever since I heard about it.
I had wanted to come to the party before I found out where it was.
I want to come to the party.
I am dying to come to the party.
I will probably want to come to the party.

Manhattan GMAT Reviews

S

Show Tags

New post 31 Dec 2015, 00:16
Nevernevergiveup,

You have correctly identified the core: Although the market tempts, a pedal provides. This is in no way a fragment. All of the other elements, including the part with "creating" at the end, are just modifiers and have no bearing on the larger structure. Don't throw something out just because it feels awkward, or the GMAT will often trick you into eliminating the right answer.

Here are a few other correct constructions with similar endings:

He makes more money than I have any chance of earning.
My friend travels to places that I can only dream of visiting.
This is an offer that I would consider accepting.

Manhattan GMAT Reviews

Retired Moderator
S

Show Tags

New post 31 Dec 2015, 00:57
DmitryFarber wrote:
Nevernevergiveup,

You have correctly identified the core: Although the market tempts, a pedal provides. This is in no way a fragment. All of the other elements, including the part with "creating" at the end, are just modifiers and have no bearing on the larger structure. Don't throw something out just because it feels awkward, or the GMAT will often trick you into eliminating the right answer.

Here are a few other correct constructions with similar endings:

Thanks DmitryFarber, this is a bit new for me.

Kudos for you regarding the same :)

It will be much better if u can explain by adding few more examples.
S

Show Tags

New post 31 Dec 2015, 01:09
I'm glad to help. Basically, in all my examples, the main action of the sentence is over. The -ing words show an action in a hypothetical scenario. Rather than provide more of the same, maybe I should explain the examples I already used.

Translation: He makes $x, and I have no chance of earning $x.

Translation: There are places in the world that I cannot visit. I can only dream of visiting them. These are the places my friend visits.

Translation: If I were made a particular offer, I might accept it. In other words, I would consider accepting the offer.

Here are some other types of sentences that end in -ing. (Just for fun, I made them all rhyme.)

What were you thinking?
My ship is sinking.
I heard the glasses clinking.
A skunk is good at stinking.
We switched off the two machines that the cable had been linking.

Manhattan GMAT Reviews

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V35
GPA: 3.19
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 01 Jan 2016, 05:15
Nevernevergiveup wrote:
souvik101990 wrote:

I am not expert :) I was able to eliminate abcd on solid grounds so selected E.

a) Creates does not sync with plural verb products

b) Providing is incorrect ..somehow this does not sound correct to my ear :D ... It should be 'provide'

C) No verb in this statement

D) "came" ?????

Hence answer is E.

Press +1 Kudos if you find this Post helpful :)

Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 01 Jan 2016, 06:30
DmitryFarber wrote:

Hi DmitryFarber,
Yes, this is what the sentence is expected to bring out, but does it do that clearly?

The sentence should have read..
Although the market tempts guitarists with digital signal processors of every shape and size, only some of these products manage to come close to creating a analog sound that a hand......

How can contrast be created by the contrast itself hiding in a subordinate clause..
although the market......, main clause .. that .. the contrast..
I am sure we should have the clause carrying the contrast close to the 'comma' rather than tucked in a corner..

GMAT Expert

S

Show Tags

New post 22 Jan 2016, 13:22
Chetan2u,

The word "although" indicates a contrast between two entire clauses, so we don't have to worry about where the contrasting information is hiding. It's still part of the clause. Also, we have a contrast before we get to the modifier: While there are many digital products, a hand-made pedal creates a distinctive analog sound. Since analog is the alternative to digital (all effects will be one or the other), we've already drawn a contrast. The modifier certainly amplifies that contrast (no pun intended), but we're fine either way.

However, I certainly won't dig in my heels to defend a competitor's material. ;) In the end, official questions are by far the best study material for SC.

Manhattan GMAT Reviews

Retired Moderator
V
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 23 Jan 2016, 03:00
This question is particularly bothersome due to some awful errors that one will not find at even school levels. Particularly the phrases ‘to creates’ and ‘to came ‘are indicative of casualness. In addition, the official choice E seems to contrast the digital signal processors with the sound that a pedal instrument provides. IMO, since the non-underlined part mentions a hardware, the contrasting part also should cite a hardware and not what a hardware provides.

GMAT tuition under able guidance is less expensive and time-consuming than self-study in the final reckoning

Current Student
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GPA: 3.98
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Although the market tempts guitarists with digital signal processors  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Jul 2016, 09:45
goodyear2013 wrote:

A) few of these products manage to come close to creates the characteristic analog sound that hand-made effects pedals provide
B) few of these products manage to come close to creating the characteristic analog sound that hand-made effects pedals providing
C) only some of these products managing to come close to creating the characteristic analog sound that hand-made effects pedals provide
D) hardly any of these products manage to came close to creating the characteristic analog sound that hand-made effects pedals provide
E) a hand-made effects pedal provides a characteristic analog sound that only some of these products manage to come close to creating

A) few of these products manage to come close to creates the characteristic analog sound that hand-made effects pedals provide
SV pair disagreement- 'products' requires plural form 'create'
B) few of these products manage to come close to creating the characteristic analog sound that hand-made effects pedals providing
'creating' is not right.
C) only some of these products managing to come close to creating the characteristic analog sound that hand-made effects pedals provide
'Products manage to come close' has different meaning from 'products managing to come close'
D) hardly any of these products manage to came close to creating the characteristic analog sound that hand-made effects pedals provide
'Hardly any' is not same as 'only some'
E) a hand-made effects pedal provides a characteristic analog sound that only some of these products manage to come close to creating. Best out of the given choices

I welcome critical analysis of my post!! That will help me reach 700+

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Although the market tempts guitarists with digital signal processors   [#permalink] 12 Jul 2016, 09:45

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 21 posts ] 

Although the market tempts guitarists with digital signal processors

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap