Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 05:06 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 05:06

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 157 [17]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 450 [5]
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 157 [2]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Send PM
Re: Although the ratio of physicians to total population is [#permalink]
Kudos
I agree with A.

The statement states that because there are 33% more surgeons in the US there are more operations there. This means that there cannot be any other reason for greater number of operations, which is possible only if A is assumed.

If A were not true, then there is 40% more operations in the US not because of more surgeons, but because of more people needing them.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
The original sentence says More Surgeon means more surgeries
A eliminates another explanation. So A in a way tries to strengthen. So A is a assumption.
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 4689 [0]
Given Kudos: 463
GPA: 3.5
WE:Business Development (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
HMC wrote:
The original sentence says More Surgeon means more surgeries
A eliminates another explanation. So A in a way tries to strengthen. So A is a assumption.

Further if we try to negate option (A) it will be -

Patients in the United States have a greater need for surgery than do patients in Canada.

This clearly attacks the conclusion , which states -

Quote:
United States has more surgeons per capita........... Clearly, this is the reason people in the United States undergo 40 percent more operations per capita than do Canadians.

Thus answer will be (A)
CrackVerbal Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 277 [0]
Send PM
Although the ratio of physicians to total population is [#permalink]
Expert Reply
shubhangi wrote:
Although the ratio of physicians to total population is about the same in the United States and Canada, the United States has 33 percent more surgeons per capita. Clearly, this is the reason people in the United States undergo 40 percent more operations per capita than do Canadians.

The explanation given above rests on an assumption that:

(A) patients in the United States do not have a greater need for surgery than do patients in Canada.
(B) the population of the United States is not larger than that of Canada.
(C) United States patients sometimes travel to Canada for certain kinds of surgery.
(D) General practitioners in the United States do not as a rule examine a who is a candidate for surgery before sending the patient to a surgeon.
(E) There are no unnecessary surgical operations performed in Canada.

Hi,

Let us analyze the conclusion and the premise on which it is based:

Conclusion: Clearly, this is the reason people in the United States undergo 40 percent more operations per capita than do Canadians.

Premise: The United States has 33 percent more surgeons per capita.

ie; the fact that the US has more surgeons per capita is the causal factor behind US citizens undergoing 40% more surgeries per capita. In order to identify an underlying assumption, we need to rule out any one of:

a) An alternative explanation
b) Reverse causality
c) A correlative factor

Option (A) states: patients in the United States do not have a greater need for surgery than do patients in Canada.

This is ruling out an alternative explanation/reason for US citizens undergoing 40% more surgeries per capita. Hence, this is the correct answer option.

Hope this clarifies.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 116 [0]
Given Kudos: 261
Concentration: General Management, Technology
Send PM
Although the ratio of physicians to total population is [#permalink]
shubhangi wrote:
i dont know...how A is possible..it says in the passage that people in US undergo 40% MORE than canada

and 1st statement says
patients in the United States do not have a greater need for surgery than do patients in Canada.
that means it is opposite of what passage says.. i am CONFUSED :roll:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Although the ratio of physicians to total population is about the same in the United States and Canada, the United States has 33 percent more surgeons per capita. Clearly, this is the reason people in the United States undergo 40 percent more operations per capita than do Canadians.

The explanation given above rests on an assumption that:

(A) patients in the United States do not have a greater need for surgery than do patients in Canada.
(B) the population of the United States is not larger than that of Canada.
(C) United States patients sometimes travel to Canada for certain kinds of surgery.
(D) General practitioners in the United States do not as a rule examine a who is a candidate for surgery before sending the patient to a surgeon.
(E) There are no unnecessary surgical operations performed in Canada.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here is an explanation, which may help you.
1. per capita surgeons --> for 1000 people, how many surgeons (it could be 100 people or 10000 people)
Assume (for the explanation purpose) in Canada, for 1000 people, 10 surgeons. So, in US, for 1000 people, 14 surgeons (33% more surgeons, rounded to 40%)

2. The conclusion of the argument is: Since per capita surgeons are more in US than in Canada, more surgeries (40% more operations) are happening in US. In my opinion these % numbers are not that important for the argument's conclusion. This conclusion is directly connecting per capita surgeons to the number of operations. If we bring in any new information that would make us believe that, yes more surgeons means more operations, then that choice is the 'assumption'.

A) if patients in US need more surgeries than do patients in Canada, then the total number of surgeries in US will be more than surgeries in Canada, so we can't directly correlate 'more surgeons to more surgeries'. If this is the case, then the conclusion is invalid. Correct answer
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 51
Send PM
I chose B, can someone explain this with an example by assuming numbers? Thanks in advance
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts