Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 02:58 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 02:58

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 570 [247]
Given Kudos: 23
 Q45  V42
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63651 [107]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 73 [20]
Given Kudos: 5
Schools:IIM, ISB, & XLRI
 Q45  V21 GMAT 2: 630  Q46  V31
WE 1: B.Tech (Information Technology)
Send PM
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [2]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Re: Although the restaurant company has recently added many new restaurant [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Dear Friends,

Here is a detailed explanation to this question-
mendelay wrote:
Although the restaurant company has recently added many new restaurants across the country and its sales have increased dramatically, its sales at restaurants open for more than a year have declined.

(A) the restaurant company has recently added many new restaurants across the country and its sales have increased dramatically, its

(B) the restaurant company has recently added many new restaurants across the country and its sales increased dramatically, its

(C) many new restaurants have recently been opened across the country and its sales increased dramatically, the restaurant company’s

(D) having recently added many new restaurants across the country and with its sales increasing dramatically, the restaurant company’s

(E) recently adding many new restaurants across the country and having its sales increase dramatically, the restaurant company’s

Meaning is crucial to solving this problem:
Understanding the intended meaning is key to solving this question; the intended meaning of this sentence is that the restaurant company has recently added many new restaurants across the country and its sales have increased dramatically, but the company's sales at restaurants open for more than a year have declined.

Concepts tested here: Meaning + Modifiers + Tenses

A: Correct. This answer choice correctly uses the phrase "Although the restaurant company has recently added...dramatically", conveying the intended meaning - that the restaurant company has recently added many restaurants across the country. Further, Option A correctly uses the simple present tense verbs "has...added" and "have increased" to refer to actions that concluded in the past but continue to affect the present.

B: This answer choice incorrectly uses the simple past tense verb "increased" to refer to an action that concluded in the past but continues to affect the present; please remember, the present perfect tense (marked by the use of the helping verb “has/have”) is used to describe events that concluded in the past but continue to affect the present, and the simple past tense is used to refer to events that concluded in the past.

C: This answer choice alters the meaning of the sentence through the phrase "Although many new restaurants have recently been opened...dramatically"; the use of passive voice incorrectly implies that many new restaurants have recently been opened by some unknown entity; the intended meaning is that many new restaurants have recently been opened by the restaurant company.

D: This answer choice incorrectly uses "Although having recently added...dramatically" to modify "the restaurant company’s sales"; illogically implying that the sales have recently added many restaurants across the country; the intended meaning is that the company has recently added many restaurants across the country; please remember, in a “phrase + comma + noun” construction, the phrase must correctly modify the noun. Further, Option D incorrectly uses the present participle ("verb + ing" - "increasing" in this sentence) to refer to an action that concluded in the past and continues to affect the present; please remember, the present perfect tense (marked by the use of the helping verb “has/have”) is used to describe events that concluded in the past but continue to affect the present.

E: This answer choice incorrectly uses "Although recently adding...dramatically" to modify "the restaurant company’s sales"; illogically implying that the sales have recently added many restaurants across the country; the intended meaning is that the company has recently added many restaurants across the country; please remember, in a “phrase + comma + noun” construction, the phrase must correctly modify the noun. Further, Option E incorrectly uses the present participle ("verb + ing" - "adding" and "having" in this sentence) to refer to actions that concluded in the past and continue to affect the present; please remember, the present perfect tense (marked by the use of the helping verb “has/have”) is used to describe events that concluded in the past but continue to affect the present.

Hence, A is the best answer choice.

To understand the concept of "Simple Tenses" on GMAT, you may want to watch the following video (~1 minute):

To understand the concept of "Present Perfect Tense" on GMAT, you may want to watch the following video (~1 minute):

To understand the concept of "Phrase Comma Subject" and "Subject Comma Phrase" on GMAT, you may want to watch the following video (~1minute):

All the best!
Experts' Global Team
General Discussion
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 3046 [2]
Given Kudos: 157
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V34
Send PM
Re: Although the restaurant company has recently added many new restaurant [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
I have just one query.

I rejected the first three choices because of wrong modifier "its".

I thought that the modifier "its" can refer to either the company or the country, as this wrong placement was doubtful so I rejected "A".

Now can anyone pls explain that why my thinking was wrong? :( Can "its" refer to "country"??
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 570 [1]
Given Kudos: 23
 Q45  V42
Send PM
Kudos
Please explain why have is necessary in this case.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: CFA
Own Kudos [?]: 142 [7]
Given Kudos: 64
Schools: Columbia - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 710 Q45 V43
GMAT 2: 760 Q49 V45
Send PM
Kudos
“Have” is necessary in A & B in order to maintain parallelism; the sentence begins “the restaurant company has…”
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 680 [2]
Given Kudos: 13
Send PM
Kudos
mendelay wrote:
Please explain why have is necessary in this case.

We don’t need past tense in the second half of the underlined portion as sales have increased up until this point.

Sales is plural, so "have" usage is right.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 1111 [4]
Given Kudos: 73
Concentration: Finance
Schools: HEC '15 (A)
GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V38
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Hussain15 wrote:
I have just one query.

I rejected the first three choices because of wrong modifier "its".

I thought that the modifier "its" can refer to either the company or the country, as this wrong placement was doubtful so I rejected "A".

Now can anyone pls explain that why my thinking was wrong? :( Can "its" refer to "country"??

well, actually I have chosen a wrong answer too ;)) but found a good explanation why "its" can not refer to "country". it is because country is an object of the preposition "across" in this sentence.
my bad that I have not paid attention to that preposition (

hope I could help u
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 592 [3]
Given Kudos: 18
Concentration: Accounting
Schools:Mccombs business school, Mays business school, Rotman Business School,
 Q47  V28 GMAT 2: 570  Q40  V29
GPA: 3.44
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
mendelay wrote:
Although the restaurant company has recently added many new restaurants across the country and its sales have increased dramatically, its sales at restaurants open for more than a year have declined.
A. the restaurant company has recently added many new restaurants across the country and its sales have increased dramatically, its
B. the restaurant company has recently added many new restaurants across the country and its sales increased dramatically, its
C. many new restaurants have recently been opened across the country and its sales increased dramatically, the restaurant company’s
D. having recently added many new restaurants across the country and with its sales increasing dramatically, the restaurant company’s
E. recently adding many new restaurants across the country and having its sales increase dramatically, the restaurant company’s

i choose A. there is a verd-tense error in B. all verbs are in present tense except the verb increase, which is incorrect. in C, the intended meaning is distorted. it means that many restaurants of different company have been opened. D is out for parallelism. E is out for modifier error. correct me if i am wrong or my process of elimination is wrong.

regards. please give me some kudos...... :-D
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [5]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Kudos