It is currently 21 Oct 2017, 10:59

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Although the rise in incidence of the disease has fueled fears for

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

VP
VP
avatar
G
Joined: 26 Mar 2013
Posts: 1260

Kudos [?]: 286 [0], given: 163

Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Although the rise in incidence of the disease has fueled fears for [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Nov 2016, 08:59
5
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  65% (hard)

Question Stats:

48% (00:54) correct 52% (01:03) wrong based on 454 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Although the rise in incidence of the disease has fueled fears for a full blown epidemic progressing, the Surgeon General assured the reporters that his large-scale treatment plan would bring the spread of the disease under control.

A. has fueled fears for a full blown epidemic progressing
B. fueled fears that a full blown epidemic is progressing
C. had fueled fears for a full blown epidemic in progress
D. has fueled fears that a full blown epidemic is in progress
E. fueled fears of how a full blown epidemic is in progress
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Last edited by bb on 06 Dec 2016, 22:47, edited 1 time in total.
Updated underlining

Kudos [?]: 286 [0], given: 163

Math Forum Moderator
User avatar
P
Joined: 13 Apr 2015
Posts: 1504

Kudos [?]: 1116 [0], given: 885

Location: India
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Although the rise in incidence of the disease has fueled fears for [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Nov 2016, 09:23
A. has fueled fears for a full blown epidemic progressing - Incorrect. Illogical. 'fear for' is not suitable in the given context.

B. fueled fears that a full blown epidemic is progressing - Incorrect. Tense error.

C. had fueled fears for a full blown epidemic in progress - Incorrect. Same error as in A.

D. has fueled fears that a full blown epidemic is in progress - Correct.

E. fueled fears of how a full blown epidemic is in progress - Incorrect. Awkward.

Answer: D

Kudos [?]: 1116 [0], given: 885

Math Forum Moderator
User avatar
G
Status: QA & VA Forum Moderator
Joined: 11 Jun 2011
Posts: 3003

Kudos [?]: 1088 [0], given: 325

Location: India
GPA: 3.5
WE: Business Development (Commercial Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Although the rise in incidence of the disease has fueled fears for [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Nov 2016, 09:40
Mo2men wrote:
Although the rise in incidence of the disease has fueled fears for a full blown epidemic progressing, the Surgeon General assured the reporters that his large-scale treatment plan would bring the spread of the disease under control.

A. has fueled fears for a full blown epidemic progressing
B. fueled fears that a full blown epidemic is progressing
C. had fueled fears for a full blown epidemic in progress
D. has fueled fears that a full blown epidemic is in progress
E. fueled fears of how a full blown epidemic is in progress


Although the rise in incidence of the disease has fueled fears that a full blown epidemic is in progress, the Surgeon General assured the reporters that his large-scale treatment plan would bring the spread of the disease under control.

Correct answer must be (D) for the correct usage of S-V agreement usage...
_________________

Thanks and Regards

Abhishek....

PLEASE FOLLOW THE RULES FOR POSTING IN QA AND VA FORUM AND USE SEARCH FUNCTION BEFORE POSTING NEW QUESTIONS

How to use Search Function in GMAT Club | Rules for Posting in QA forum | Writing Mathematical Formulas |Rules for Posting in VA forum | Request Expert's Reply ( VA Forum Only )

Kudos [?]: 1088 [0], given: 325

Expert Post
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
User avatar
G
Joined: 28 Dec 2011
Posts: 4426

Kudos [?]: 8455 [0], given: 102

Re: Although the rise in incidence of the disease has fueled fears for [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Nov 2016, 12:32
Mo2men wrote:
Although the rise in incidence of the disease has fueled fears for a full blown epidemic progressing, the Surgeon General assured the reporters that his large-scale treatment plan would bring the spread of the disease under control.

A. has fueled fears for a full blown epidemic progressing
B. fueled fears that a full blown epidemic is progressing
C. had fueled fears for a full blown epidemic in progress
D. has fueled fears that a full blown epidemic is in progress
E. fueled fears of how a full blown epidemic is in progress

I'm happy to respond to this thread, as I am the author of this question. :-)

This is hard question. Only about 59% of Magoosh students get this right: KeepCalmAdi, viditmalhotra89 , Vyshak, and Abhishek009 all have nailed this tough question. Congratulations!

Mike :-)
_________________

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Image

Image

Kudos [?]: 8455 [0], given: 102

Manager
Manager
User avatar
S
Joined: 23 Jan 2016
Posts: 201

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 508

Location: India
GMAT 1: 600 Q43 V31
GMAT 2: 710 Q48 V40
GPA: 3.2
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Although the rise in incidence of the disease has fueled fears for [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Dec 2016, 22:35
how can the fear fueling happen in present perfect, and the assuring happen in past? has fueled fears.... the surgeon general assured???? This does not make sense, can experts pitch in please?

Oreo

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 508

Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
User avatar
G
Joined: 28 Dec 2011
Posts: 4426

Kudos [?]: 8455 [2], given: 102

Re: Although the rise in incidence of the disease has fueled fears for [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Dec 2016, 13:11
2
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
1
This post was
BOOKMARKED
OreoShake wrote:
how can the fear fueling happen in present perfect, and the assuring happen in past? has fueled fears.... the surgeon general assured???? This does not make sense, can experts pitch in please?

Oreo

Dear OreoShake,

I'm happy to respond. :-)

My friend, I am not sure what the problem is. Present perfect = event started in the past, continues to present moment. Let's say Event #1 started two weeks ago and continues now: we would use the present perfect. If event #2 occurred yesterday, we would use the past. Example:
It has been raining for two weeks straight, and yesterday my friend said he would build an Ark.
The implication of the present perfect is that the rain continues to this present moment, while the friend's remark is in the past.

In this SC question, the "fear fueling" started in the past and continue to the present. The "assuring" happened at one point in the past, say, yesterday---in the past, but not as far back as before the beginning of the action in the present perfect.

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)
_________________

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Image

Image

Kudos [?]: 8455 [2], given: 102

Manager
Manager
User avatar
S
Joined: 23 Jan 2016
Posts: 201

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 508

Location: India
GMAT 1: 600 Q43 V31
GMAT 2: 710 Q48 V40
GPA: 3.2
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Although the rise in incidence of the disease has fueled fears for [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Dec 2016, 21:11
mikemcgarry wrote:
OreoShake wrote:
how can the fear fueling happen in present perfect, and the assuring happen in past? has fueled fears.... the surgeon general assured???? This does not make sense, can experts pitch in please?

Oreo

Dear OreoShake,

I'm happy to respond. :-)

My friend, I am not sure what the problem is. Present perfect = event started in the past, continues to present moment. Let's say Event #1 started two weeks ago and continues now: we would use the present perfect. If event #2 occurred yesterday, we would use the past. Example:
It has been raining for two weeks straight, and yesterday my friend said he would build an Ark.
The implication of the present perfect is that the rain continues to this present moment, while the friend's remark is in the past.

In this SC question, the "fear fueling" started in the past and continue to the present. The "assuring" happened at one point in the past, say, yesterday---in the past, but not as far back as before the beginning of the action in the present perfect.

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)


Mike, thanks for clearing this. For some reason I was placing the 'assuring' before the 'fear fueling' in the timeline. Thanks a ton. :)

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 508

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Founder
Founder
User avatar
P
Joined: 04 Dec 2002
Posts: 15590

Kudos [?]: 28530 [1], given: 5114

Location: United States (WA)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Although the rise in incidence of the disease has fueled fears for [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Dec 2016, 22:48
1
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Thank you for the report. The underline has been fixed.
_________________

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... or use our Daily Study Plan


Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Kudos [?]: 28530 [1], given: 5114

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 24 Jul 2016
Posts: 91

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 5

Location: United States (MI)
GMAT 1: 640 Q49 V28
GPA: 3.6
Re: Although the rise in incidence of the disease has fueled fears for [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Dec 2016, 17:38
mikemcgarry wrote:
OreoShake wrote:
how can the fear fueling happen in present perfect, and the assuring happen in past? has fueled fears.... the surgeon general assured???? This does not make sense, can experts pitch in please?

Oreo

Dear OreoShake,

I'm happy to respond. :-)

My friend, I am not sure what the problem is. Present perfect = event started in the past, continues to present moment. Let's say Event #1 started two weeks ago and continues now: we would use the present perfect. If event #2 occurred yesterday, we would use the past. Example:
It has been raining for two weeks straight, and yesterday my friend said he would build an Ark.
The implication of the present perfect is that the rain continues to this present moment, while the friend's remark is in the past.

In this SC question, the "fear fueling" started in the past and continue to the present. The "assuring" happened at one point in the past, say, yesterday---in the past, but not as far back as before the beginning of the action in the present perfect.

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)


Does the GMAT agree with this rationale? I mean I would rather say 'It HAD been raining for two weeks straight, and yesterday my friend said he would build an Ark'. Is there example from OG that can be provided to substantiate this?

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 5

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 23 Oct 2016
Posts: 11

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 136

Re: Although the rise in incidence of the disease has fueled fears for [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Dec 2016, 18:16
'It has been raining' is present perfect continuous which definitely shows that the action that started in past is still continued. Present perfect says that the action recently completed.
mikemcgarry wrote:
OreoShake wrote:
how can the fear fueling happen in present perfect, and the assuring happen in past? has fueled fears.... the surgeon general assured???? This does not make sense, can experts pitch in please?

Oreo

Dear OreoShake,

I'm happy to respond. :-)

My friend, I am not sure what the problem is. Present perfect = event started in the past, continues to present moment. Let's say Event #1 started two weeks ago and continues now: we would use the present perfect. If event #2 occurred yesterday, we would use the past. Example:
It has been raining for two weeks straight, and yesterday my friend said he would build an Ark.
The implication of the present perfect is that the rain continues to this present moment, while the friend's remark is in the past.

In this SC question, the "fear fueling" started in the past and continue to the present. The "assuring" happened at one point in the past, say, yesterday---in the past, but not as far back as before the beginning of the action in the present perfect.

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)



Sent from my HM NOTE 1LTE using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 136

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
S
Joined: 04 Oct 2015
Posts: 394

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 232

Location: Viet Nam
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GPA: 3.56
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Although the rise in incidence of the disease has fueled fears for [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Apr 2017, 20:14
Hi!

Can sombody explain to me why A is wrong? IMO, "progressing" correctly modifies the preceding noun "epidemic".



Many thanks!
_________________

Do not pray for an easy life, pray for the strength to endure a difficult one - Bruce Lee

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 232

1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
avatar
G
Joined: 26 Mar 2013
Posts: 1260

Kudos [?]: 286 [1], given: 163

Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Although the rise in incidence of the disease has fueled fears for [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Apr 2017, 10:50
1
This post received
KUDOS
leanhdung wrote:
Hi!

Can sombody explain to me why A is wrong? IMO, "progressing" correctly modifies the preceding noun "epidemic".

Many thanks!


here you need to look to 2 things:

Verb tense which is great in A but the idiom 'fear for' is wrong.

the below explained by Mitch (GMAT instructor)

X fears for Y.
Conveyed meaning:
X believes that Y is in danger.
Mary fears for John.
Conveyed meaning:
Mary believes that John is in danger.

X has a fear of Y.
Conveyed meaning:
Y scares X.
Mary has a fear of flying.
Conveyed meaning:
The act of flying scares Mary.

X fears that Y.
Conveyed meaning:
X is worried that the event described in the that-clause has happened, is happening, or will happen.
Mary fears that John will be late.
Conveyed meaning:
Mary is worried that John will be late.

So the meaning of 'fear for' in choice A is nonsensical.

I hope it helps

Kudos [?]: 286 [1], given: 163

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
S
Joined: 04 Oct 2015
Posts: 394

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 232

Location: Viet Nam
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GPA: 3.56
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Although the rise in incidence of the disease has fueled fears for [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Apr 2017, 19:20
Mo2men wrote:
leanhdung wrote:
Hi!

Can sombody explain to me why A is wrong? IMO, "progressing" correctly modifies the preceding noun "epidemic".

Many thanks!


here you need to look to 2 things:

Verb tense which is great in A but the idiom 'fear for' is wrong.

the below explained by Mitch (GMAT instructor)

X fears for Y.
Conveyed meaning:
X believes that Y is in danger.
Mary fears for John.
Conveyed meaning:
Mary believes that John is in danger.

X has a fear of Y.
Conveyed meaning:
Y scares X.
Mary has a fear of flying.
Conveyed meaning:
The act of flying scares Mary.

X fears that Y.
Conveyed meaning:
X is worried that the event described in the that-clause has happened, is happening, or will happen.
Mary fears that John will be late.
Conveyed meaning:
Mary is worried that John will be late.

So the meaning of 'fear for' in choice A is nonsensical.

I hope it helps


Yeah, I got this point!

B. fueled fears that a full blown epidemic is progressing

Can you explain why B wrong? Is is because we use simple past tense and simple progressive tense simultaneously in the same clause?
_________________

Do not pray for an easy life, pray for the strength to endure a difficult one - Bruce Lee

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 232

Manager
Manager
avatar
S
Status: active
Joined: 25 Jan 2016
Posts: 166

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 10

Location: India
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 4
WE: Web Development (Computer Software)
Re: Although the rise in incidence of the disease has fueled fears for [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Apr 2017, 04:27
Although the rise in incidence of the disease has fueled fears for a full blown epidemic progressing, the Surgeon General assured the reporters that his large-scale treatment plan would bring the spread of the disease under control.

A. has fueled fears for a full blown epidemic progressing
B. fueled fears that a full blown epidemic is progressing
C. had fueled fears for a full blown epidemic in progress
D. has fueled fears that a full blown epidemic is in progress
E. fueled fears of how a full blown epidemic is in progress

had not correct C out
progressing nonsensical A and B are out
E how a full blown

D is correct

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 10

Expert Post
Verbal Expert
User avatar
S
Joined: 14 Dec 2013
Posts: 3157

Kudos [?]: 3312 [0], given: 22

Location: Germany
Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Although the rise in incidence of the disease has fueled fears for [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Apr 2017, 02:56
leanhdung wrote:
Mo2men wrote:
leanhdung wrote:
Hi!

Can sombody explain to me why A is wrong? IMO, "progressing" correctly modifies the preceding noun "epidemic".

Many thanks!


here you need to look to 2 things:

Verb tense which is great in A but the idiom 'fear for' is wrong.

the below explained by Mitch (GMAT instructor)

X fears for Y.
Conveyed meaning:
X believes that Y is in danger.
Mary fears for John.
Conveyed meaning:
Mary believes that John is in danger.

X has a fear of Y.
Conveyed meaning:
Y scares X.
Mary has a fear of flying.
Conveyed meaning:
The act of flying scares Mary.

X fears that Y.
Conveyed meaning:
X is worried that the event described in the that-clause has happened, is happening, or will happen.
Mary fears that John will be late.
Conveyed meaning:
Mary is worried that John will be late.

So the meaning of 'fear for' in choice A is nonsensical.

I hope it helps


Yeah, I got this point!

B. fueled fears that a full blown epidemic is progressing

Can you explain why B wrong? Is is because we use simple past tense and simple progressive tense simultaneously in the same clause?


No, using simple past and past continuous tense simultaneously is not the issue - the problem is with the simple past tense itself. The effect of fueling fear is still there, hence present perfect is better than simple past.

(Note: there is no tense called "simple progressive" - either it is simple or progressive, but cannot be both.)

Kudos [?]: 3312 [0], given: 22

Although the rise in incidence of the disease has fueled fears for   [#permalink] 23 Apr 2017, 02:56
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Although the rise in incidence of the disease has fueled fears for

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.