Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 18:58 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 18:58

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618603 [439]
Given Kudos: 81563
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 14672 [110]
Given Kudos: 766
Send PM
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7775 [74]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
General Discussion
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31870 [11]
Given Kudos: 290
Send PM
Re: Although the rise in the Producer Price Index was greater than expecte [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Bunuel wrote:
Although the rise in the Producer Price Index was greater than expected, most analysts agreed that the index was unlikely to continue going up and that inflation remained essentially under control.

A. that the index was unlikely to continue going up and that inflation remained
B. that it was unlikely for the index continuing to go up and for inflation to remain
C. that the index was unlikely to continue to go up, with inflation to remain
D. on the unlikelihood that the index would continue going up and that inflation remained
E. on the unlikelihood that the index would continue to go up and for inflation to remain

SC11850.01
OG2020 NEW QUESTION

There is nothing wrong in the original.
We are looking at some CLAUSE after agreed, so agreed THAT abcd is correct.
The portion agreed that x and that y is correct and follows parallelism.
A
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [5]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Re: Although the rise in the Producer Price Index was greater than expecte [#permalink]
Kudos
Bunuel wrote:
Although the rise in the Producer Price Index was greater than expected, most analysts agreed that the index was unlikely to continue going up and that inflation remained essentially under control.

B. that it was unlikely for the index continuing to go up and for inflation to remain
D. on the unlikelihood that the index would continue going up and that inflation remained
E. on the unlikelihood that the index would continue to go up and for inflation to remain

SC11850.01
OG2020 NEW QUESTION

I can't understand why a hypothetical situation that is described in the past can simply use "was" and not "would" as a verb? I got confused, though all other answers are definitely wrong.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 733 [3]
Given Kudos: 362
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q47 V44
GPA: 3.4
Send PM
Kudos
This question heavily relies on meaning.
While I am unable to tell you all the grammatical quirks, I would encourage everyone to challenge the answer choices on whether they preserve the
original meaning.

Doing so, AC A stands strong.

Regards,
Chris
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [1]
Given Kudos: 325
Send PM
Kudos
Hi EMPOWERgmatVerbal

can you kindly share why it should be "remained" and not "remain"

secondly, in option B we have "for the index continuing to go up and for inflation to remain"... is this not parallel as well?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [2]
Given Kudos: 59
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V32
GPA: 4
Send PM
Kudos
[quote="EMPOWERgmatVerbal"]Hello Everyone!

This is a great example of a GMAT question that focuses on PARALLELISM! Let's start off by doing a quick scan over the options and highlighting any major differences we see in orange:

After a quick scan over the options, a few key differences jump out:

1. that / on the unlikelihood that
2. continue / continuing / would continue
3. that / for / with
4. remained / to remain

If we look more carefully at the sentence, we can spot what type of question this is:

When looking at the sentence as a whole, we see that the underlined portion contains the 2 things that analysts agree on - and those 2 things MUST be parallel! Any time you see a grouping of items, parallelism is a good place to start! Let's check each option to ensure the 2 items are parallel:

A. that the index was unlikely to continue going up and that inflation remained --> PARALLEL

B. that it was unlikely for the index continuing to go up and for inflation to remain --> NOT PARALLEL

C. that the index was unlikely to continue to go up, with inflation to remain --> NOT PARALLEL

D. on the unlikelihood that the index would continue going up and that inflation remained --> NOT PARALLEL

E. on the unlikelihood that the index would continue to go up and for inflation to remain --> NOT PARALLEL

There you have it - option A is the only one that uses parallel structure for both items! If you can identify what type of SC question you're dealing with, it is a lot easier to check for common mistakes (parallelism, modifiers, subject-verb agreement, etc.).

How is "Continue" parallel to "Remained" ? They are in different tenses ? Infinitive vs past tense. Kindly help me here.
Thanks in Advance
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 14672 [11]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
rnn wrote:
Hi EMPOWERgmatVerbal

can you kindly share why it should be "remained" and not "remain"

secondly, in option B we have "for the index continuing to go up and for inflation to remain"... is this not parallel as well?

Hello rnn!

Thank you for your questions. I imagine other people are wondering about these as well! Let's go through them one at a time:

1. The verb should be the past tense "remained" to stay consistent with the non-underlined part of the sentence where it says "was greater than expected" and "most analysts agreed," both of which are also in past tense.

2. No, this is not parallel. When looking at parallelism with phrases or clauses, you need to include the entire clause - not just the parts that sound good:

If the phrase "it was unlikely" wasn't part of this option, then it would be parallel. However, since we're talking about parallel phrases here, we must include both phrases in their entirety. The only other way this could have been parallel would be to say "it was unlikely for the index to continue going up and it was unlikely for inflation to remain."

I hope this clears things up!
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 14672 [5]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
muditdadwal wrote:

How is "Continue" parallel to "Remained" ? They are in different tenses ? Infinitive vs past tense. Kindly help me here.
Thanks in Advance

Hello muditdadwal!

Thank you for your question! In this sentence, "continue" does not need to be parallel to "remained" because it's not acting as the main verb. It's part of a prepositional phrase, so it doesn't behave like a verb here:

All the other verbs (in bold) are in past tense, and the two items that the analysts agreed on are written using parallel structure. Therefore, we can narrow down our choices to just option A.

I hope this clears things up!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatVerbal wrote:
Hello Everyone!

This is a great example of a GMAT question that focuses on PARALLELISM! Let's start off by doing a quick scan over the options and highlighting any major differences we see in orange:

3. that / for / with
4. remained / to remain

If we look more carefully at the sentence, we can spot what type of question this is:

When looking at the sentence as a whole, we see that the underlined portion contains the 2 things that analysts agree on - and those 2 things MUST be parallel! Any time you see a grouping of items, parallelism is a good place to start! Let's check each option to ensure the 2 items are parallel:

A. that the index was unlikely to continue going up and that inflation remained --> PARALLEL

B. that it was unlikely for the index continuing to go up and for inflation to remain --> NOT PARALLEL

C. that the index was unlikely to continue to go up, with inflation to remain --> NOT PARALLEL

D. on the unlikelihood that the index would continue going up and that inflation remained --> NOT PARALLEL

E. on the unlikelihood that the index would continue to go up and for inflation to remain --> NOT PARALLEL

There you have it - option A is the only one that uses parallel structure for both items! If you can identify what type of SC question you're dealing with, it is a lot easier to check for common mistakes (parallelism, modifiers, subject-verb agreement, etc.).

Don't study for the GMAT. Train for it.

Do you have a check list of the different types of SC questions? I have covered all material but not sure how to divide SC questions into a check list that I can just tick off mentally each time I see a SC question.
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 14672 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
jamalabdullah100 wrote:
EMPOWERgmatVerbal wrote:
Hello Everyone!

3. that / for / with
4. remained / to remain

Don't study for the GMAT. Train for it.

Do you have a check list of the different types of SC questions? I have covered all material but not sure how to divide SC questions into a check list that I can just tick off mentally each time I see a SC question.

Hello jamalabdullah100!

We actually cover this as part of our Sentence Correct course at EMPOWERgmat! We break down the different types of SC questions that are on the GMAT, and we also break down which ones are the most/least common! You are welcome to head over to our site to learn more!

I hope that helps!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 68 [0]
Given Kudos: 261
Send PM
Hello experts,
I'm having an issue with the 2nd part of the parallelism , specifically we know 1) most analysts agreed that the index was unlikely to continue going up and 2) most analysts agreed that inflation remained essentially under control, so inflation is sth tha can be decided at the moment whether it should be reduced or increased ? If not, shouldn't it be "most analysts agreed that inflation will remain" I know that it has been discussed in previous posts , but I still have problem understanding the meaning and structure of the second part
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63649 [5]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
UNSTOPPABLE12 wrote:
Hello experts,
I'm having an issue with the 2nd part of the parallelism , specifically we know 1) most analysts agreed that the index was unlikely to continue going up and 2) most analysts agreed that inflation remained essentially under control, so inflation is sth tha can be decided at the moment whether it should be reduced or increased ? If not, shouldn't it be "most analysts agreed that inflation will remain" I know that it has been discussed in previous posts , but I still have problem understanding the meaning and structure of the second part

I'm not 100% sure that I'm interpreting your question correctly, but I'll give it a shot. I think this is the heart of it: "... so inflation is sth tha can be decided at the moment whether it should be reduced or increased ?"

• At any moment, analysts can look at inflation trends and decide whether they think inflation is (A) under control (for example, increasing/decreasing moderately--no cause for alarm) or (B) NOT under control (for example, increasing exponentially with no end in sight--a cause for alarm).
  • If we were talking about the present, we would say, "Most analysts agree that inflation remains under control." In other words, "Most analysts agree that inflation continues to be under control."
  • But since we are talking about the past, we say, "Most analysts agreed that inflation remained under control." In other words, "Most analysts agreed that inflation continued to be under control."

I hope that helps!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 68 [0]
Given Kudos: 261
Send PM
GMATNinja wrote:
UNSTOPPABLE12 wrote:
Hello experts,

I'm not 100% sure that I'm interpreting your question correctly, but I'll give it a shot. I think this is the heart of it: "... so inflation is sth tha can be decided at the moment whether it should be reduced or increased ?"

• At any moment, analysts can look at inflation trends and decide whether they think inflation is (A) under control (for example, increasing/decreasing moderately--no cause for alarm) or (B) NOT under control (for example, increasing exponentially with no end in sight--a cause for alarm).
  • If we were talking about the present, we would say, "Most analysts agree that inflation remains under control." In other words, "Most analysts agree that inflation continues to be under control."
  • But since we are talking about the past, we say, "Most analysts agreed that inflation remained under control." In other words, "Most analysts agreed that inflation continued to be under control."

I hope that helps!

GMATNinja first of all thank you for your detailed response and for your time you are really helpful. I now think that the issue that I have in this question is more of grammatical nature rather than meaning as I thought in the beginning , what "sounds" more correct for me is "most analysts agree that inflation will continue to be under control" and "most analysts agreed that inflation would continue to be under control" , the structure "most analysts agree that inflation remains under control " and "most analysts agreed that inflation remained under control" ,confuse me, so I was wondering if you could guide by telling me which grammatical section focuses on this structure so I could study it and fill the gap in knowledge that I have (is it just a part of "tenses" as a whole)?
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63649 [15]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos