Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 00:00 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 00:00

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 256 [19]
Given Kudos: 66
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 671 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 3224 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 356 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Re: Although the sting of Egyptian Scorpions are rarely dangerous, they [#permalink]
Kudos
There are four problems in the original sentence!!

Sting of Egyptian Scorpions => singular
Scorpion => its
Sting of Egyptian Scorpions cause the red welts ...... => it
Not parallel : cause - posing

Although the sting of Egyptian Scorpions are rarely dangerous, they cause red welts to appear, posing minor health risks to infants, who are particularly vulnerable to its venom.

a)Egyptian Scorpions are rarely dangerous, they cause red welts to appear, posing minor health risks to infants, who are particularly vulnerable to its

b) Egyptian Scorpions are rarely dangerous, they cause red welts to appear and pose minor health risks to infants, who are particularly vulnerable to their

c)Egyptian Scorpions is rarely dangerous, it causes red welts to appear, posing minor health risks to infants, who are particularly vulnerable to their

d)Egyptian Scorpions is rarely dangerous, it causes red welts to appear and poses minor health risks to infants, who are particularly vulnerable to its

e) Egyptian Scorpions is rarely dangerous, they cause red welts to appear, posing the greatest danger to the infant, who are particularly vulnerable to its

Answer - D
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 610 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Send PM
Re: Although the sting of Egyptian Scorpions are rarely dangerous, they [#permalink]
suyashjhawar wrote:
Although the sting of Egyptian Scorpions are rarely dangerous, they cause red welts to appear, posing minor health risks to infants, who are particularly vulnerable to its venom.

a)Egyptian Scorpions are rarely dangerous, they cause red welts to appear, posing minor health risks to infants, who are particularly vulnerable to its

b) Egyptian Scorpions are rarely dangerous, they cause red welts to appear and pose minor health risks to infants, who are particularly vulnerable to their

c)Egyptian Scorpions is rarely dangerous, it causes red welts to appear, posing minor health risks to infants, who are particularly vulnerable to their

d)Egyptian Scorpions is rarely dangerous, it causes red welts to appear and poses minor health risks to infants, who are particularly vulnerable to its

e) Egyptian Scorpions is rarely dangerous, they cause red welts to appear, posing the greatest danger to the infant, who are particularly vulnerable to its

Came down to two using splits and did a mistake.Plz explain your answers.

SV question. Subject here is the sting,so appropriate verb should b used. D has correct verbs. See above.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 831 [0]
Given Kudos: 291
Send PM
okay I have a doubt here.... venom can refer to to either the scorpion's or the stings's. how do v choose?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
I also had the same doubt. 'Its' can refer to both 'sting' and 'scorpions'. But I convinced myself with the explanation that using 'their' will bring in confusion of reference. Any one has a better explanation??
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1831 [0]
Given Kudos: 833
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.35
WE:Consulting (Computer Software)
Send PM
Their creates ambiguity,
Possible antecedents are Scorpions and Children (although illogical to think)

Hence its should be used.
Hope this helps...
And its cannot refer to scorpions as it does not agree in number.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 100 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Send PM
ankurgupta03 wrote:
Their creates ambiguity,
Possible antecedents are Scorpions and Children (although illogical to think)

Hence its should be used.
Hope this helps...
And its cannot refer to scorpions as it does not agree in number.

so its refer to the sting and not the Egyptian scorpions ?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 607 [0]
Given Kudos: 141
Concentration: Marketing, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 630 Q44 V32
GMAT 2: 680 Q47 V35
Send PM
suyashjhawar wrote:

Came down to two using splits and did a mistake.Plz explain your answers.

Though it was and easy one, i was caught between the last Their vs Its.
I thought about it more logically and came up with- 'Venom belongs to the Scorpions and not to the Sting' and therefore it should be 'their' and not 'its'.

and, This made me to justify the usage of supposedly unparallel 'posing' in option C-
'Posing, a verb-ing modifier signifies 'as a result of', i.e '...it causes red welts to appear, as a result posing minor health.. ''

...and i chose C over D!

Am i thinking too much or this question is flawed? :)

Can someone plz provide me explanation for the above raised 2 points-
"Scorpions' venom or Sting's venom" ?? and
"Posing- Unparallel or verb-ing modifier"??
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7775 [1]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
I'm not a big fan of this one. (To be clear, this is not a Manhattan Prep question. It's from Manhattan Review.)

I agree that the venom should belong to the scorpion. It could perhaps belong to the stinger, but not to the sting itself, which is an action!

Unfortunately, C is problematic, too. "Posing" creates an adverbial modifier, so it should describe an effect of the previous action. However, it doesn't make sense to say that the health risk is a result of the red welts. Both should be listed as effects of the sting.

So in short, this one needs a rewrite! It also needs a new source tag! :)
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618866 [1]
Given Kudos: 81588
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
suyashjhawar wrote:

A. Egyptian Scorpions are rarely dangerous, they cause red welts to appear, posing minor health risks to infants, who are particularly vulnerable to its

B. Egyptian Scorpions are rarely dangerous, they cause red welts to appear and pose minor health risks to infants, who are particularly vulnerable to their

C. Egyptian Scorpions is rarely dangerous, it causes red welts to appear, posing minor health risks to infants, who are particularly vulnerable to their

D. Egyptian Scorpions is rarely dangerous, it causes red welts to appear and poses minor health risks to infants, who are particularly vulnerable to its

E. Egyptian Scorpions is rarely dangerous, they cause red welts to appear, posing the greatest danger to the infant, who are particularly vulnerable to its

MANHATTAN REVIEW OFFICIAL EXPLANATION:

This is a very easy question because the only mistakes you have to correct are mistakes in subject/verb agreement and subject/pronoun agreement. The subject is the sting. So you want the correct verb form to go with the singular, sting. That leaves you with C, D and E as possible choices because they say the sting C is rarely ˇdangerous. Another mistake you have to correct is a subject/pronoun agreement mistake. The venom belongs to the sting. Therefore, you would use ‘its’ before venom because sting is singular. That leaves you with choices D and E. Choice E makes another mistake by saying they cause red welts to appear. The scorpions don’t cause the red welts to appear, the sting of the scorpions does. Therefore the singular ‘it’ needs to be used. Choice D is the correct answer.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts