GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 16 Dec 2018, 22:08

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • 10 Keys to nail DS and CR questions

December 17, 2018

December 17, 2018

06:00 PM PST

07:00 PM PST

Join our live webinar and learn how to approach Data Sufficiency and Critical Reasoning problems, how to identify the best way to solve each question and what most people do wrong.
  • R1 Admission Decisions: Estimated Decision Timelines and Chat Links for Major BSchools

December 17, 2018

December 17, 2018

10:00 PM PST

11:00 PM PST

From Dec 5th onward, American programs will start releasing R1 decisions. Chat Rooms: We have also assigned chat rooms for every school so that applicants can stay in touch and exchange information/update during decision period.

Although there is still disagreement among the scientific community

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Retired Moderator
D
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Re: Although there is still disagreement among the scientific community  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Aug 2018, 23:46
Top Contributor
I feel it is ok to use among for community since the word community stands for the members and we do not mean one community vis-a-vis another. Look at these examples about which one can't complain

Among the team, there is no co-operation. means among the team members
Among the Indian community, there is more diversity than unity. We are not positing one Indian Community, say the US Indian Community vs. some other Indian community like the European Indian Community.

you can know a lot about something and not really understand it."-- a quote
No one knows this better than a GMAT student does.
Narendran +9198845 44509

Intern
Intern
B
Re: Although there is still disagreement among the scientific community  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Aug 2018, 00:05
daagh wrote:
I feel it is ok to use among for community since the word community stands for the members and we do not mean one community vis-a-vis another. Look at these examples about which one can't complain

Among the team, there is no co-operation. means among the team members
Among the Indian community, there is more diversity than unity. We are not positing one Indian Community, say the US Indian Community vs. some other Indian community like the European Indian Community.

Thanks for your explanation sir!!
I still have doubt regarding the example you have mentioned:
1. Among the team, there is no co-operation.

Suppose i really intend to say among the team (e.g. England, Pakistan, India) there is no co-operation.
I would express the sentence as:
2. Among the teams, there is no co-operation.

Now there are two sentences 1 and 2. From 1 and 2 how i would identify the sentence grammatically correct and with correct intention.
Because as per question author can also intend to say different communities and not the members of communities. Is not it creating ambiguity because as per your understanding "members of community" and as per my understanding "different community itself" and usage of communities instead of community.

Hope you get my point and further illustrate.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 23 Aug 2018, 00:13
The question is missing the word 'members'.It should mention that among the members of the scientific community or among the scientific communities.Because if we specifically mention the community then it is quite obvious that we are indicating as a single community.

Posted from my mobile device
Retired Moderator
D
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 23 Aug 2018, 00:44
Top Contributor
When you say teams, that indeed makes it clear there is more than one team, and these teams are converged on some common issue. If there are only two teams, we will say there is no cooperation between the two participants. If there are more than two teams, then we will there is no cooperation among these teams. Context will make this clear. Won't it?

Similarly, if there are more than one scientist community, then it will be ok to say communities. However, when the community refers to all of the scientist members from Alaska and Antarctica, why should we see them as people with different intents?

you can know a lot about something and not really understand it."-- a quote
No one knows this better than a GMAT student does.
Narendran +9198845 44509

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Although there is still disagreement among the scientific community &nbs [#permalink] 23 Aug 2018, 00:44

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 24 posts ] 

Although there is still disagreement among the scientific community

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap