GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 29 May 2020, 02:01

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Am I being stupid? - Reconsidering acceptance

new topic post reply Update application status  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Intern
Intern
Am I being stupid? - Reconsidering acceptance  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 May 2019, 07:36
I am accepted to Stern but a bit shaky on following through for this autumn.
The reason is - I always wanted to go to an NYC school for personal reasons and there are only 2 great choices. I applied to both NYU and Columbia - to continue to be part of the tech industry but move to a Strategy or PM role from Operations.
I managed an interview at Columbia but was then declined. I was accepted to Stern and it’s a great school. But I keep wondering about re-applying - even though I know I can improve my application but I won’t have as strong of an additional recommendation letter as my original and there is always the risk for another ding. I would also have to wait at least another year to start school. There is a small window where I might hear back from Columbia before I have to start paying tuition - but this is getting increasingly tight.
At the end, will I gain much from potentially switching and waiting for a 2020 start? Is it really mostly the “name” that’s throwing me here? Is it that critical for the kind of roles I’m looking at?
Looking for perspective.
Current Student
S
Schools: Duke '21 (M$)
GMAT 1: 730 Q46 V44
GPA: 3.7
WE: Sales (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Re: Am I being stupid? - Reconsidering acceptance  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 May 2019, 08:08
Really hard to make the argument to wait another year in my opinion. NYU is a top school--yes Columbia has a more power behind it but I don't think it's enough to lose an entire year and with no guarantee you would get in anyway. Very few jobs that Columbia would give you access to that NYU would not.
Founder
Founder
V
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 26 May 2019, 08:09
Congrats on Stern.

As a reapplicant to Columbia, you will have to demonstrate that something has changed sufficiently in the last year. Your application will be reviewed in light of the last year’s ding. (At least if you are applying within 12 months) https://www8.gsb.columbia.edu/programs/ ... irements#9

I guess what I am leading to is that CBS re-application will require to demonstrate certain considerations. Those may be not attainable at this short of a notice and based on your comment.

Posted from my mobile device
G

Show Tags

New post 26 May 2019, 09:47
So it’s basically Stern vs Columbia...
When I look at their employment reports, Columbia does not seem better than Stern. In fact, if you compare employment reports - employment from Stern, Ross and Fuqua is actually better than Columbia.
Example: Columbia is at 89% 3 month acceptance with $130k median
And Stern, Ross and Fuqua are at 93%-94% 3 month acceptance with $125k median.
The 3-4% difference in the 3 month acceptance % will definitely bring down the median salary at Columbia.

I think the average salary from Stern is >$129k while Ross/Fuqua are at $126k and Columbia doesn’t publish their average.

So you have a choice between a ranking/media perception that US News, Bloomberg, FT... create with self reported, untraceable data/surveys or traceable and audited employment report data (As an FYI, university of Oklahoma announced that they’ve been sharing inflated data to US News and nobody could trace it)

I would say Stern definitely is a better choice.

If a high paying job after MBA is the requirement then Stern it is, and if an Ivy name is the requirement, Columbia it is.

Posted from my mobile device
Current Student
S
Schools: Duke '21 (M$)
GMAT 1: 730 Q46 V44
GPA: 3.7
WE: Sales (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)

Show Tags

New post 26 May 2019, 10:28
I would note that not all benefits of a program necessarily show up in an employment report. That being said, the choice isn't there to be made at the moment. It's NYU or the possibility of a choice next year. I would also caution that NYU may not admit you again because it will likely understand what you are doing. Because you are dead set on NYC this is a real concern. Again NYU is a strong top 15 program and if you're looking to remain in NYC or even the northeast you'll have a superb network.
Which School to Choose Forum Moderator
S
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
Schools: Owen '16 (M)
GMAT 1: 720 Q44 V44
GPA: 3.73
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 26 May 2019, 21:25
mradamsmith wrote:
Very few jobs that Columbia would give you access to that NYU would not.

This.
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
V
Concentration: Finance

Show Tags

New post 27 May 2019, 11:03
DudeDude92 wrote:
I am accepted to Stern but a bit shaky on following through for this autumn.
The reason is - I always wanted to go to an NYC school for personal reasons and there are only 2 great choices. I applied to both NYU and Columbia - to continue to be part of the tech industry but move to a Strategy or PM role from Operations.
I managed an interview at Columbia but was then declined. I was accepted to Stern and it’s a great school. But I keep wondering about re-applying - even though I know I can improve my application but I won’t have as strong of an additional recommendation letter as my original and there is always the risk for another ding. I would also have to wait at least another year to start school. There is a small window where I might hear back from Columbia before I have to start paying tuition - but this is getting increasingly tight.
At the end, will I gain much from potentially switching and waiting for a 2020 start? Is it really mostly the “name” that’s throwing me here? Is it that critical for the kind of roles I’m looking at?
Looking for perspective.

Hello DudeDude92

You are very lucky to be accepted at Stern. ;)

This is a perspective you should have.

There are two best business schools in NYC and those are Columbia and Stern.

Columbia is just a little bit better ranked and of course it is member of Ivy League, which is nowadays more a prestige insignia, that have some historical reasons.

It doesnt have to correspond to quality of program directly, to demonstrate that it is enough to see, that for instance Stern is better ranked than Cornell (Ivy League) :

https://www.usnews.com/best-graduate-sc ... a-rankings

What I would like you to understand, is how much of risk exposure would be, that reapply next year, nobody can guarantee you will be accepted no mather what, no matter how much you improve your profile from your viewpoint, you will still be exposed to very subjective final decision from someone from admission committee and you cannot know what kind of competition from other applicants that year will be.

Best way to understand this would be a fact, that next year you maybe WOULD NOT be accepted to Stern, even with better profile. :idea:

Now is your time, you won. :clap:

Be smart go to Stern, (if Columbia doesn't reply).

I certainly would :cool:

Good Luck :cool:
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Am I being stupid? - Reconsidering acceptance   [#permalink] 27 May 2019, 11:03

Am I being stupid? - Reconsidering acceptance

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: FinanceMan, Regenerate