Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 20:54 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 20:54

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: Pharma/Healthcare
Schools:Stern (Admitted), Kellogg (Admitted), Fuqua (R2)
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 175 [1]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: Management Consulting
Schools: Ross 2012
 Q50  V44
WE 1: 5 Years at Fortune 50 Company in Manufacturing
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 40 [1]
Given Kudos: 22
Schools:Columbia Business School - Class of 2012
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 155 [1]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Re: Am I being totally unrealistic? (Qs,Profile Evaluation) [#permalink]
Kudos
Haha does being female even matter that much? Still have to be qualified, right?

As for the GMAT, I pretty much agree with everyone here. 700 is a fine score esp since the rest of your stats look strong. It's like not you need to get a really high score to make up for a sub-par GPA. My suggestions is take it if you really think you can do better but it's not a big deal if you don't. You shold start focusing on other parts of your app like, work, EC, campus visits, etc.
Director
Director
Affiliations: Consortium (CGSM.org), NSHMBA
Own Kudos [?]: 249 [1]
Given Kudos: 113
Schools:Yale SOM Class of 2012
 Q48  V51
WE 1: Investment Banking Summer Associate (Boutique tech M&A)
Send PM
Kudos
noclue9454 wrote:
Hello everyone,

I took my GMATs this last August and was pretty happy with my score. I got a 700 (47Q, 39V, 6AWA), which is 90%. I was under the impression that once a 7something score is reached, GMAT is emphasized less. However, I've been talking to people and have been getting vibes that it's not that good of a score for the schools that I want to go to. I wanted the GMAT to be merely a foot in the door--not THE deciding factor. Am I being unrealistic in my school choices? See the list after my profile evaluation.

This is my profile:

Nationality: Indian American
Sex: Female
GMAT: 700 (47Q, 39V, 6AWA)
GPA: 3.868/4.0 (Summa Cum Laude) from a top 10 US Public School.
Looking to enroll: Fall 2011

Work Experience (currently): 2.5 years in the biotechnology sector.
Key Work Accomplishments:
-Startup company so heavy involvement in setting up the company including working closely with the CEO.
-Managing a project in the Diabetes field, controlling all sectors involved including conceiving the idea, targeted marketing, and implementation.
-Designing and managing a structured Customer Support System.
MBA focus/interest: -Consulting (Healthcare) with a big firm initially and then for a Social Business in the long run.

Extracurricular:
-While simultaneously working full-time, I have also been co-managing an India-targeted non-profit organization. I helped found the environmental awareness program at this organization and have been on the executive board for the last 2 years. I was instrumental in making the organization last beyond it's first year. Running this organization has developed skills spanning all aspects of business management.
-I have also recently started working with a Harvard Graduate Student group to provide a holistic, voluntary consulting services to young individuals working for grassroots international development projects happening in India. My specific project is essentially a team of 2, communicating with a field partner in South India.

MBA Schools of interest:
-HBS
-Sloan
-Kellogg
-Chicago
-Stanford
-Columbia
-Stern
-Fuqua
-London Business School
-INSEAD
-IE
-Darden (?)

Questions:
-Am I unrealistic?
-Are there any other schools that I should consider? Should absolutely eliminate from my list?
-I plan to do a trial application run for Fall 2010 and apply to 2-3 best/semi-best schools. Good idea?

Thank you so much for all your help! So sorry for the uber long post!

Cheers.

IMO things working in your favor:

overall:
female (it is a plus, as most schools treat women almost as URM's in terms of recruiting);
UG GPA,
UG pedigree
- for HBS: age (under 25 = a big plus)

things working against you:

overall:
work experience (a little low now, but if youre shooting for fall 2011 you should be in line with most of your schools by then)
WE: since youre targeting consulting, you're going to be matched against the likes of M/B/B consultants, etc.
nationality/race: india isn't one of the big draws in most top schools as there is already so much talent saturating the top 10 schools.

i think if you craft your essay and app creatively (so that you're not pitted against the M/B/B consultant pool), you'd have a good shot at HBS and most other schools on your list. the best thing you can do is continue to research the schools for the next few months to close down to a 3 or 4 school list. schools like wharton have a strong emphasis on healthcare; HBS has also recently implemented a healthcare initiative, so you could gear your app for them in that way.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: Pharma/Healthcare
Schools:Stern (Admitted), Kellogg (Admitted), Fuqua (R2)
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
Wow, that was a quick response! Thanks so much for it. I see that you're planning to apply for '10. Good luck!

Yeah--I think for me, it comes down to how well I pick my schools and how well I capture myself and my accomplishments in the essays. Knowing that I am not one for self-evaluation, that's going to be one of the hardest projects ever!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
I wish I was female.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Finance (Corp Fin, Financial Instruments)
Schools:NYU Stern 2009
Send PM
Noodles wrote:
I wish I was female.

Any particular reason, noodles?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
It might bolster my candidacy!

I am of course joking! :D
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 175 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: Management Consulting
Schools: Ross 2012
 Q50  V44
WE 1: 5 Years at Fortune 50 Company in Manufacturing
Send PM
Well if that was the case, I would just wish I was rich and therefore can start my own company.
GMAT Club Bot