Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 15:39 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 15:39

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 46 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
 Q39  V40
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 56 [1]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Strategy, GM, Energy, Technology
Schools:Chicago Booth 2011
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
 Q39  V40
Send PM
Re: Am I too old for business school? [#permalink]
vbalex,

Thank you so much. Could you tell me what schools you recommend in the US and abroad that have higher average age? You didnt get into LBS did you? That is my dream school!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Yale SOM 2011
 Q44  V42
Send PM
Ben,
There are many other factors besides your GMAT score. My understanding is that the older you are the more weight the Adcom's put on your GMAT score and the less on your undergrad GPA. It could also be their work expericences are what the school is looking for. Also both your score and the other applicants scores fall within UNC's middle 80% range so the school may view those as equals. On a positive note during Blue Devil weekend I met some admits who were older than you one being in his earlier 40's, so your age of 35 won't automatically rule you out. I would encourage you to try agian next year, perhaps call UNC in the summer and ask if they will give you some feedback. I would also encourage you to apply to more than one school.

SP

benpack03 wrote:
Hello everyone,

First of all this is a great forum and I think you guys are incredible. I was running in the Cooper River Bridge Run Saturday in Charleston, SC when I passed a guy who had applied to Kenan Flagler with me. He and his girlfriend BOTH got in with a GMAT that was 30 points less than mine. I scored a 650 to give you background. They were also a few years out of school, where as I had 11 years experience, a professional engineers license, as well tremendous leadership qualities with my job (I oversee 60 people). My question is , I'm 34 and am I just hung? I am studying for the GMAT again and take it in June - but my question is why bother? If a higher score is not gonna help why go through the hell? I have also thought about executive programs but I am looking for more of a career change. It was very frustrating on an otherwise perfect day. Kenan Flagler was the only school I applied to, I also really really like Vanderbilt - I want to do a Real Estate concentration. Maybe I should look at a Masters in Real Estate Development?

I thank you guys,

Ben
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 46 [1]
 Q39  V40
Send PM
Bookmarks
Thanks smokedpotatoes,

I really liked UNC because it is cheap (NC Resident) and they have a strong real estate program. However, I am going to apply to Duke next year as well - lol after I pick up my GMAT a bit. I was much more impressed by the Dukies than the Tar Heels - not to sound jaded, but its true. Plus I am a Wolfpacker, so I could really get into pulling for Duke - UNC NOT SO MUCH. may I ask a strange question? I grew up Methodist and I'm still a member of the Methodist church. Did Duke ask this on the application? I had heard a rumor that they had. Congrats on getting in - Duke is a fantastic University and community.
Manager
Manager
 Q44  V42
Send PM
benpack03 wrote:
Thanks smokedpotatoes,

I really liked UNC because it is cheap (NC Resident) and they have a strong real estate program. However, I am going to apply to Duke next year as well - lol after I pick up my GMAT a bit. I was much more impressed by the Dukies than the Tar Heels - not to sound jaded, but its true. Plus I am a Wolfpacker, so I could really get into pulling for Duke - UNC NOT SO MUCH. may I ask a strange question? I grew up Methodist and I'm still a member of the Methodist church. Did Duke ask this on the application? I had heard a rumor that they had. Congrats on getting in - Duke is a fantastic University and community.

Ben,
No worries, I don't recall them asking that question or any question about religion, any one want to correct me on that one? Also good call on getting the GMAT score up, I think that will help you. I used the Mahattan GMAT self study course and it worked well for me. Also I would start workinmg on the apps in the summer (something I did not do) Good luck with the app process next year. :)

SP
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 156 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Schools:Tuck
Send PM
I'm 32 and I'll be attending a FT MBA program this fall.

As long as you can justify why you need an MBA at this point in your life, being in your early- to mid-30s shouldn't be an issue.

RF
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 222 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy, MC
Schools:Kellogg '11
Send PM
I think like others have mentioned, the GMAT is only one factor the adcom look at in evaluating your application. I don't think your age will keep you out of FT programs but you will need to do a better job of justifying why now is a good time for you to get the MBA, as well as how an MBA will help you now that you've been working for 11 years. Since you mentioned that you were a career changer, I think a FT MBA over an exec-MBA does make sense. I would try again this fall, an apply to several programs to better hedge your chances of getting in.

Also, I applied to Duke - didn't see any questions on the app about religion.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Strategy
Schools:Fuqua '11
 Q49  V47
Send PM
Honestly, in reading over the OP, my first thought was that you should have applied to more than just one school. B-school admissions are kind of a black box -- you can speculate on what a given school is looking for, you can run numbers to see how competitive you would be, but at the end of the day, it comes down to what two or three very human, very subjective people felt when they reviewed your app. There can also be fit issues, so just because your scores are competitive, they may not have heard the things in your essays that suggest to them you'll be a good fit for their culture.

So even the most competitive applicant is best served applying to multiple schools unless the one school they apply to is well into their safe zone. (And even that can be dangerous, as some schools will ding or waitlist you if they don't think you'll come, to protect their yield.) There's just too much potential for a bad read of your app to result in a ding -- if you apply to multiple schools, the odds are better at least one adcom will look at your app and find something they want in you.

I can say I met a number of students your age and even older at Blue Devil Weekend this past weekend. I don't know their GMAT scores, but AFAIK none are managing 60 people. You should be competitive -- cast your net a little wider next year and I bet you'll get an admit.
Manager
Manager
 Q44  V42
Send PM
Skitalets,
I couldn't agree more with your advice and observations. I'd give a kudos if we still had them. :P

SP

Skitalets wrote:
Honestly, in reading over the OP, my first thought was that you should have applied to more than just one school. B-school admissions are kind of a black box -- you can speculate on what a given school is looking for, you can run numbers to see how competitive you would be, but at the end of the day, it comes down to what two or three very human, very subjective people felt when they reviewed your app. There can also be fit issues, so just because your scores are competitive, they may not have heard the things in your essays that suggest to them you'll be a good fit for their culture.

So even the most competitive applicant is best served applying to multiple schools unless the one school they apply to is well into their safe zone. (And even that can be dangerous, as some schools will ding or waitlist you if they don't think you'll come, to protect their yield.) There's just too much potential for a bad read of your app to result in a ding -- if you apply to multiple schools, the odds are better at least one adcom will look at your app and find something they want in you.

I can say I met a number of students your age and even older at Blue Devil Weekend this past weekend. I don't know their GMAT scores, but AFAIK none are managing 60 people. You should be competitive -- cast your net a little wider next year and I bet you'll get an admit.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 209 [0]
Given Kudos: 25
Send PM
Hey Ben,
What about EMBA? I think you are competitive for most EMBA programs. Would your company sponsor you? It appears to me you are already in a pretty high level position.
Manager
Manager
 Q39  V40
Send PM
Thanks guys for all your help.

I have looked at my EMBA, but I am currently a highway engineer with the North Carolina Department of Transportation - so it would be a huge career change for me. I wanted to go into real estate development and use my construction background with the MBA. Smoked, I too have bought several of the Manhatten books including sentence correction and number properties and have also been doing the GMATClub tests (its funny that my quant is so low and I'm an engineer). I will apply next year and will seriously look at Duke - a good friend of mine is in their exec program. Do any of you Duke admits know anything about the MBA/MPP program? Terry Sanford was a friend of my family's growing up. You guys are really great and I do thank you for your time, I hope you all do well.

Ben

P.S. I live at Lake Junaluska in the mountains of North Carolina - its the world Methodist headquarters. I think it may have been an old wivestail I heard about the being Methodist thing.

P.S. 2 Not to keep asking questions, but did any of you guys hire an admissions consultant?
Manager
Manager
 Q44  V42
Send PM
Ben,
I've also found the GMAT Club forum members to be ery helpfull. Feel free to ask as many question as you want. In general people here are more than happy to help. Unfortunately I don't know much about the MBA/MPP dual program. Another peice of advice is to visit the school early sya this summer and again in the fall and build a rapport with some people in the admissions office (something I did not do). :) I also did not use an admissions consultant. I was lucky in the fact that I had friends who are currenlty in MBA programs, they were very helpfull with essay edits and suggestions. You def want to have people read over yoiur essays, AND make sure you ANSWER THE QUESTION BEING ASKED.

SP

Oh to you comment on your quant being lower than verbal even though yoiur an engineer. I'm actually in the same boat I'm a CPA /w a masters in accounting and currenlty studing for level III of the CFA exam, yet I scored much higher on verbal than math go figure!!!

benpack03 wrote:
Thanks guys for all your help.

I have looked at my EMBA, but I am currently a highway engineer with the North Carolina Department of Transportation - so it would be a huge career change for me. I wanted to go into real estate development and use my construction background with the MBA. Smoked, I too have bought several of the Manhatten books including sentence correction and number properties and have also been doing the GMATClub tests (its funny that my quant is so low and I'm an engineer). I will apply next year and will seriously look at Duke - a good friend of mine is in their exec program. Do any of you Duke admits know anything about the MBA/MPP program? Terry Sanford was a friend of my family's growing up. You guys are really great and I do thank you for your time, I hope you all do well.

Ben

P.S. I live at Lake Junaluska in the mountains of North Carolina - its the world Methodist headquarters. I think it may have been an old wivestail I heard about the being Methodist thing.

P.S. 2 Not to keep asking questions, but did any of you guys hire an admissions consultant?
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 254 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: Health Enterprise Management, Marketing, Strategy, Finance, Analytical Consulting, Economics
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2011
Send PM
Ben - you may want to ask about the Duke MBA/MPP in the Admitted to Duke or Calling all Duke Applicants threads - there's probably a better chance of people familiar with it reading those threads.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 71 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Schools:Tepper '11
Send PM
from an older candidate who has gone through the fire, let me give you some advice.

Schools are not averse to taking older applicants, but you need to directly address your higher level of experience and very specifically why it makes more sense for you to have applied later rather than earlier.

Without doing this, you will just look like and older, lazy guy who jumped on the bandwagon.

I honestly don't think age is a huge determinant, but the older you get, the harder it is to convincingly explain what I have outlined above. It's practically self-selecting in that way.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1682 [0]
Given Kudos: 210
Send PM
Hey Ben,
From what I can read, you have a distinctive profile. I think you might be a bit too hung up on the GMAT. Retake it if you like but don't go overboard. As long as you are within the 80th percentile you should be fine. Your strong work and leadership experiences along with some great insightful stories and solid well thought out aims will get you in a school (and not a super high GMAT score).

You will find that European schools in general are a bit more older applicant friendly. I know LBS has a good range and the median age is somewhat higher. I am turning 30 this year personally.Among the American schools I know of - Chicago and Wharton seem more older applicant friendly.

Good luck.

benpack03 wrote:
vbalex,

Thank you so much. Could you tell me what schools you recommend in the US and abroad that have higher average age? You didnt get into LBS did you? That is my dream school!
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 10036 [0]
Given Kudos: 361
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Other
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2011
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40
Send PM
Expert Reply
I'm 33 and think H/S/W is a big question for old guys. As you are old as me you should answer clearly a few questions:
1) why not EMBA
2) why now
+
3) high GMAT & great achievements (better than 27-old guys).
Manager
Manager
 Q39  V40
Send PM
I just wanted to thank you guys......I have been taking those GMATClub tests and really been in my own GMAT bubble!

It was greta advice and I thank you.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 40 [0]
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club MBAbot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot