GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 11 Jul 2020, 06:22

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Am I too old to do a MiM?

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
Schools: LBS
GPA: 3.45
WE: Management Consulting (Consulting)
Am I too old to do a MiM?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Jun 2020, 05:52
I'm currently working in technology consulting and would like to pivot to a more strategy based role. Seems like the best way to do this without doing an MBA is through a MiM - LBS would be a top school. I graduated from my engineering program at a top school in Canada in December of 2019, just started working this summer in Big4 Tech consulting. If I applied for 2021 I would be 25.

Any thoughts on this?
Intern
Intern
B
Re: Am I too old to do a MiM?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Jun 2020, 07:16
lacrosseplayer05 wrote:
I'm currently working in technology consulting and would like to pivot to a more strategy based role. Seems like the best way to do this without doing an MBA is through a MiM - LBS would be a top school. I graduated from my engineering program at a top school in Canada in December of 2019, just started working this summer in Big4 Tech consulting. If I applied for 2021 I would be 25.

Any thoughts on this?

With my limited knowledge, I do not think you would be too old. I applied for this year's intake (got in, but did not enroll), and I remember my interviewer telling me that she was around 26 when she enrolled at LBS. That being said, you would surely be on the older side, but I do not think you would be completely out of range.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 30 Jun 2020, 07:40
schnaco wrote:
lacrosseplayer05 wrote:

Any thoughts on this?

With my limited knowledge, I do not think you would be too old. I applied for this year's intake (got in, but did not enroll), and I remember my interviewer telling me that she was around 26 when she enrolled at LBS. That being said, you would surely be on the older side, but I do not think you would be completely out of range.

That's great to hear - did you not attend this year because of Covid-19?
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 30 Jun 2020, 10:13
lacrosseplayer05 wrote:
schnaco wrote:
lacrosseplayer05 wrote:

Any thoughts on this?

I should mention I'm a college senior this year. It has always been my goal to get an MBA, so I applied to a few of the early access MBA programs and a few Master's programs as a "safety net". I got into LSE Management & Strategy and the LBS MiM and a couple in the US. I also got into Yale Silver Scholars and Columbia Deferred Enrollment though, so I'm currently torn between those two.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 30 Jun 2020, 15:40
schnaco wrote:
lacrosseplayer05 wrote:
schnaco wrote:
lacrosseplayer05 wrote:

Any thoughts on this?

I should mention I'm a college senior this year. It has always been my goal to get an MBA, so I applied to a few of the early access MBA programs and a few Master's programs as a "safety net". I got into LSE Management & Strategy and the LBS MiM and a couple in the US. I also got into Yale Silver Scholars and Columbia Deferred Enrollment though, so I'm currently torn between those two.

Oooh congratulations that's incredible! If you don't mind me asking, what was your GMAT score? And did you come from a target school?

Cheers & congrats again!
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 30 Jun 2020, 16:01
lacrosseplayer05 wrote:
schnaco wrote:
lacrosseplayer05 wrote:
schnaco wrote:
lacrosseplayer05 wrote:

Any thoughts on this?

Oooh congratulations that's incredible! If you don't mind me asking, what was your GMAT score? And did you come from a target school?

Cheers & congrats again!

Thank you so much :) being honest, I was very surprised by getting into that many schools.

My Profile: 3.9 GPA/ 730 GMAT/ Top 10 public school in the US/ European citizen. A few of meaningful internships but nothing with a big brand name. Student-athlete. Pretty good extracurriculars and leadership experience, which is probably what I mainly got in for (I think?)

If you have any questions about LBS MiM or anything I'm always very happy to help, just text me. The LBS admission process was definitely one of the nicest and most rewarding ones and the culture seemed really great!
RSM Erasmus Moderator
V
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
Schools: Erasmus
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 30 Jun 2020, 16:08
lacrosseplayer05 wrote:

Any thoughts on this?

From age point of view, you are not all old for MIM. However, I question the reason to do MIM for strategy consulting. You can wait and get seasoned in work and get an MBA and make the transition with good salary. This is my 2 cents
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 01 Jul 2020, 06:23
Quote:
Thank you so much :) being honest, I was very surprised by getting into that many schools.

My Profile: 3.9 GPA/ 730 GMAT/ Top 10 public school in the US/ European citizen. A few of meaningful internships but nothing with a big brand name. Student-athlete. Pretty good extracurriculars and leadership experience, which is probably what I mainly got in for (I think?)

If you have any questions about LBS MiM or anything I'm always very happy to help, just text me. The LBS admission process was definitely one of the nicest and most rewarding ones and the culture seemed really great!

Awesome I'm exactly in the same boat - student athlete, top school in Canada, dual US/EU citizen, and I'm actually starting work at one of the Big4 this Fall (I graduated in December) - minus the GPA haha (3.45, but I was in Engineering so hopefully that grants me a bit more leeway).

For the accelerated MBA programs, if you don't mind me asking, why are you opting to do them now? And with those programs that defer enrollment, I'm assuming you'll get a job for the years you have deferred. How does that work with your employer - do you tell them in advance you got accepted to one of these programs or are you just going in without telling them?

Cheers!
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 01 Jul 2020, 06:26
Mo2men wrote:
lacrosseplayer05 wrote:

Any thoughts on this?

From age point of view, you are not all old for MIM. However, I question the reason to do MIM for strategy consulting. You can wait and get seasoned in work and get an MBA and make the transition with good salary. This is my 2 cents

Thanks for the feedback - my only hesitancy is that I'm currently slotted in SAP Consulting at my role starting this Fall.. I think I might have some leeway to gain experience in other divisions (we're primarily focused on supply chain actually) but I don't really want to pigeon hole myself this early in my career. A MiM seems like a great, and less expensive way to best use the skills I've acquired so far and go into an area that really interests me.

Knowing this, would you still opt to work 3-4 years and then go do an MBA?
GMAT Club Bot
Am I too old to do a MiM?   [#permalink] 01 Jul 2020, 06:26

Am I too old to do a MiM?

new topic post reply Update application status