GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 23 Jul 2018, 08:31

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Among lower-paid workers, union members are less likely than non union

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
Concentration: Marketing, Technology
GMAT 1: 630 Q44 V33
GPA: 3.25
WE: Marketing (Telecommunications)
Re: Among lower-paid workers, union members are less likely than non union  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Jul 2018, 07:22
EducationAisle wrote:
hazelnut wrote:
Among lower-paid workers, union members are less likely than non union members to be enrolled in lower-end insurance plans that [impose stricter limits on medical services and require doctors to see more patients], and spending less time with each.

What is VERBing "spending" intended to modify in this sentence? Does the VERBing modifier modify the preceding clause in blue bracket []?

Hi hazelnut, there should not be any and before spending.

The clause immediately before this participial phrase is:

lower-end insurance plans require doctors to see more patients

The reason this sentence is slightly tricky is that the participial phrase does not directly modify the subject of this clause: lower-end insurance plans.

However, the participial phrase does modify the doer (doctors) of the preceding action (to see).

Hi EducationAisle

Does it mean that comma + ing can modify not only the subject but also an object of the clause (if the object also does some action?).

E.g.1 Mary asked me to go out, taking our dog for a walk - but it seems ambigious.
E.g 2 Mary recommended that I ask Mike to go out, taking our dog for a walk - better? is that because of "that"?

Is there any rule/recommendation what -ing is to modify after sequence of several subjects and objects that all do some actions?

I'm looking for a study buddy in NY, who is aiming at 700+. PM me.

Director
Director
G
Re: Among lower-paid workers, union members are less likely than non union  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Jul 2018, 10:00
Hero8888 wrote:
Hi EducationAisle

Does it mean that comma + ing can modify not only the subject but also an object of the clause (if the object also does some action?).

Hi Hero8888, you ask a good question. Rather than looking at Doctors as the object of the preceding clause (thereby creating a whole new rule, which would be both redundant and confusing), I would have a consistent rule as:

These type of Present Participial phrases modify the doer of the preceding action.

In most cases, the doer of the preceding action is the subject of the preceding clause, except in the sentence under consideration (incidentally, I have not come across any other such official question).

Quote:
E.g.1 Mary asked me to go out, taking our dog for a walk - but it seems ambigious.

Wonder why you think it is ambiguous. Even the context seems to make it quite clear that I should be taking our dog for a walk.

Thanks,
Ashish
EducationAisle, Bangalore

Sentence Correction Nirvana available on Amazon.in and Flipkart

Now! Preview the entire Grammar Section of Sentence Correction Nirvana at pothi.com

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
Concentration: Marketing, Technology
GMAT 1: 630 Q44 V33
GPA: 3.25
WE: Marketing (Telecommunications)

Show Tags

New post 09 Jul 2018, 07:58
EducationAisle wrote:
Hero8888 wrote:
Hi EducationAisle

Hi Hero8888, you ask a good question. Rather than looking at Doctors as the object of the preceding clause (thereby creating a whole new rule, which would be both redundant and confusing), I would have a consistent rule as:

These type of Present Participial phrases modify the doer of the preceding action.

In most cases, the doer of the preceding action is the subject of the preceding clause, except in the sentence under consideration (incidentally, I have not come across any other such official question).

Quote:

Wonder why you think it is ambiguous. Even the context seems to make it quite clear that I should be taking our dog for a walk.

EducationAisle

Thanks a lot! So context plays a huge role. Can I assume that there will be a case when Present Participial phrase will modify slightly further action, jumping over the right preceding action, if the context allows?

E.g. Mary asked me to go out, nervously knocking on the table.

I'm looking for a study buddy in NY, who is aiming at 700+. PM me.

1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
G

Show Tags

New post 09 Jul 2018, 08:56
Hero8888 wrote:
E.g. Mary asked me to go out, nervously knocking on the table.

This does not seem to be a great construct because nervously knock on the table doesn't seem to have any discernible correlation with asking me to go out.

I would rather articulate this sentence as:

Nervously knocking on the table, Mary asked me to go out.

Also, going forward, the discussion would be more useful if we can limit the discussion to official questions.

Thanks,
Ashish
EducationAisle, Bangalore

Sentence Correction Nirvana available on Amazon.in and Flipkart

Now! Preview the entire Grammar Section of Sentence Correction Nirvana at pothi.com

Re: Among lower-paid workers, union members are less likely than non union &nbs [#permalink] 09 Jul 2018, 08:56

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 25 posts ] 

Among lower-paid workers, union members are less likely than non union

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap