It is currently 24 Nov 2017, 06:28

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Among lower-paid workers, union members are less likely than non union

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 30 Nov 2008
Posts: 483

Kudos [?]: 369 [0], given: 15

Schools: Fuqua
Re: Among lower-paid workers, union members are less likely than non union [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Sep 2009, 12:03
IMO E

to be enrolled in lower- end insurance plans THAT impose stricter limits on medical services, requiring doctors to see more patients and spending less time with each.

THAT refers to lower-end insurance plans
pariticiple phrase - requiring.....and spending...... modifies the verb phrase impose stricter limits.

Kudos [?]: 369 [0], given: 15

3 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 18 Aug 2009
Posts: 318

Kudos [?]: 351 [3], given: 13

Re: Among lower-paid workers, union members are less likely than non union [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Oct 2009, 19:16
3
This post received
KUDOS
tejal777 wrote:
Could somebody please explain why exactly is A akward??Stuck between A and D:(

I think it is a classic case of "command subjunctive". Impose and Require are BOSSY words, which always require word "that" in the sentence. A is wrong as it lacks the word "that". :)

Also the use of -ing participle "imposing" wrongly suggests that union/nonunion members are imposing the stricter norms than the insurance plans. One more reason to strike out A.

Please correct me if I am wrong.
_____________________________
Consider KUDOS for good posts :beer

Kudos [?]: 351 [3], given: 13

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 24 Nov 2009
Posts: 3

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 4

Re: Among lower-paid workers, union members are less likely than non union [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Dec 2009, 08:34
got stucked between C and D.

on one side C. parallels impose, require and spend.

On the other side, D. implies a diferent meaning for the setence. Ie the lower end insurance plan that i) impose stricter limits on medical services and ii) require doctors to see more patiants, and spending ....
Spending is modifying doctor, which seems correct but for me the problem is with "and".

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 4

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
User avatar
Joined: 12 Oct 2009
Posts: 6

Kudos [?]: 4 [1], given: 5

Location: Delhi
Re: Among lower-paid workers, union members are less likely than non union [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Jan 2010, 09:54
1
This post received
KUDOS
Option C - Incorrect...lower-end insurance plans that impose..., require.... and spend....you see insurance plans do not spend less time ...so this is an incorrect modification.

Option D - Best IMHO

Option E - Incorrect because....lower-end insurance plans that impose stricter limits on medical services, requiring doctors to see more patients and spend ('spending' is incorrect)... less time with ...

Cheers,
_________________

D'oh, I slipped on logic!

Kudos [?]: 4 [1], given: 5

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 09 Jun 2009
Posts: 213

Kudos [?]: 329 [0], given: 6

Re: Among lower-paid workers, union members are less likely than non union [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Jun 2010, 02:57
option E is clearly out....because though it seems to be parallel it is actually not.


it would be correct, if it were: requiring doctors to see more patients and to spend less time with each.

"requiring doctors to see....and spending less....." is not parallel in any way.


So D is correct.

The download available for brutal70 has incorrect question. The question discussed here and the one in the download have differing option D. I got it wrong because of that...i just realized :wtf: :wtf:

Kudos [?]: 329 [0], given: 6

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 09 Jun 2009
Posts: 213

Kudos [?]: 329 [0], given: 6

Re: Among lower-paid workers, union members are less likely than non union [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Jun 2010, 03:06
calvinhobbes wrote:
aknine wrote:
I would go with option D

A and B are clearly rejected, we are left with C, D and E.
the second part of the sentence gives 2 the features of the insurance plan:
- Imposing stricter limits on medical services
- require doctors to see more patients.
because seeing more patients in less time indicates spending less time with each, we don't need to separate the two by 'and' because they invariably mean the same.
So, the 2 features are separated by 'and' and the following by a comma.

Among lower-paid workers, union members are less likely than nonunion members to be enrolled in lower-end insurance plans that impose stricter limits on medical services and require doctors to see more patients, spending less time with each.



Nice explanation.

Would A be correct if the comma in "requiring doctors to see more patients, and spend" is removed?

I don't see why "that" is required here.



Hi,

'That' is required because we are talking about the plan and its effects.
that/which should modify plan here and not the ongoing action or the subject

Therefore,
union member enroll in plans that/which impose

And not

union members enroll in plans imposing...... ==> union members are imposing

Kudos [?]: 329 [0], given: 6

8 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
avatar
Affiliations: NCC,SAE,YHIA
Joined: 04 May 2010
Posts: 51

Kudos [?]: 20 [8], given: 2

Location: Mumbai , India
WE 1: 3 years international sales & mktg-projects
Re: Among lower-paid workers, union members are less likely than non union [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Sep 2010, 08:42
8
This post received
KUDOS
1
This post was
BOOKMARKED
(A) imposing stricter limits on medical services and requiring doctors to see more patients, and spend
(B) imposing stricter limits on medical services , requiring doctors to see more patients, and spending
(C) that impose stricter limits on medical services, require doctors to see more patients, and spend
(D) that impose stricter limits on medical services and require doctors to see more patients, spending
(E) that impose stricter limits on medical services, requiring doctors to see more patients and spending


Spending less time with each is a modifying clause that modifies doctors.
If we use and spend/spending above meaning is lost, and the sentence assumes the below form:-
1.Investment plans impose stricter limits on medical services
2.Investment plans require doctors to see more patients
3.Investment plans spend less time with each. completely nonsensical.
_________________

Sun Tzu-Victorious warriors win first and then go to war, while defeated warriors go to war first and then seek to win.

Kudos [?]: 20 [8], given: 2

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 06 Jun 2009
Posts: 327

Kudos [?]: 84 [0], given: 0

Location: USA
WE 1: Engineering
Re: Among lower-paid workers, union members are less likely than non union [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Sep 2010, 11:25
Among lower- paid workers, union members are less likely than non union members to be enrolled in lower- end insurance plans imposing stricter limits on medical services and requiring doctors to see more patients, and spend less time with each.

Separate out the choice in two groups - imposing and that impose. straight away "imposing" is out. We are left with C, D & E

Not parallel. ... insurance plans that - impose ........, require ......., and spend - impose this, require that and spend (C) that impose stricter limits on medical services, require doctors to see more patients, and spend

insurance plans are only doing two things - impose stricter limits and require docs to see more patients (D) that impose stricter limits on medical services and require doctors to see more patients, spending

Requiring and spending might look parallel at first look, but look again. Stricter limits are requiring docs to see more patients (good). Stricter limits are spending less time with each (incorrect) (E) that impose stricter limits on medical services, requiring doctors to see more patients and spending
_________________

All things are possible to those who believe.

Kudos [?]: 84 [0], given: 0

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 04 Aug 2010
Posts: 151

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 15

Re: Among lower-paid workers, union members are less likely than non union [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Sep 2010, 17:15
Wrong use of "imposing", the use of "that" is need to add a clause to the sentence. Eliminate
(A) imposing stricter limits on medical services and requiring doctors to see more patients, and spend
(B) imposing stricter limits on medical services , requiring doctors to see more patients, and spending

Note that "impose" and "require" should be parallel because that's what the insurance plan is doing. Eliminate:
(E) that impose stricter limits on medical services, requiring doctors to see more patients and spending

Doctors spending less time with each patient is a modifying phrase to the requirement to see more of them. "Spending" should be use. Eliminate
(C) that impose stricter limits on medical services, require doctors to see more patients, and spend

Ans D

(D) that impose stricter limits on medical services and require doctors to see more patients, spending

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 15

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 14 Sep 2010
Posts: 7

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 6

Re: Among lower-paid workers, union members are less likely than non union [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Sep 2010, 00:41
sreehari1250 wrote:
Among lower- paid workers, union members are less likely than non union members to be enrolled in lower- end insurance plans imposing stricter limits on medical services and requiring doctors to see more patients, and spend less time with each.

(A) imposing stricter limits on medical services and requiring doctors to see more patients, and spend
(B) imposing stricter limits on medical services , requiring doctors to see more patients, and spending
(C) that impose stricter limits on medical services, require doctors to see more patients, and spend
(D) that impose stricter limits on medical services and require doctors to see more patients, spending
(E) that impose stricter limits on medical services, requiring doctors to see more patients and spending

I choose "C" but it is incorrect please explain the correct answer


I think D should be the right one here. If You had selected D, one can split the sentence as below
Among lower- paid workers, union members are less likely than non union members to be enrolled in lower- end insurance plans that impose stricter limits on medical services and require doctors to see more patients, spending less time with each.

I think spending less time with each was used to refer the Non Union workers as a differentiation factor with union workers. Doctors spending less time with each patient isn't relevant in this context of Union workers and Non Union workers and hence shouldn't be the case

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 6

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 16 Feb 2010
Posts: 218

Kudos [?]: 378 [0], given: 16

Re: Among lower-paid workers, union members are less likely than non union [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Sep 2010, 03:56
sreehari1250 wrote:
Among lower- paid workers, union members are less likely than non union members to be enrolled in lower- end insurance plans imposing stricter limits on medical services and requiring doctors to see more patients, and spend less time with each.

(A) imposing stricter limits on medical services and requiring doctors to see more patients, and spend
(B) imposing stricter limits on medical services , requiring doctors to see more patients, and spending
(C) that impose stricter limits on medical services, require doctors to see more patients, and spend
(D) that impose stricter limits on medical services and require doctors to see more patients, spending
(E) that impose stricter limits on medical services, requiring doctors to see more patients and spending

I choose "C" but it is incorrect please explain the correct answer


IMO E
anyone know the source of the question?
it all depends on the meaning, which can only be extracted from the context (ie in what way is the sentence used....)

i find the context problem an issue with a lot of the harder SC gmat questions....ie the way you interpret the question affects your answer....specifically: -

A B eliminate coz we need that
C eliminate because if parallel, the insurance plans spend time on patinets which is not logical
for D and E the context issue comes up....
IMO E is more logical because the insurance plans impose limits and the results (ie -ING) are requiring and spending.....

Kudos [?]: 378 [0], given: 16

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 17 Oct 2007
Posts: 43

Kudos [?]: 129 [0], given: 61

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Among lower-paid workers, union members are less likely than non union [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Sep 2010, 14:46
Ok, lets compare choices D and E.

lower- end insurance plans that impose stricter limits on medical services and require doctors to see more patients, spending less time with each.
or
lower- end insurance plans that impose stricter limits on medical services, requiring doctors to see more patients and spending less time with each.

How do you decide whether the participial modifier in E modifies "insurance plans" (i.e. illogical conclusion that insurance plans are spending less time) but D does not do so.

Kudos [?]: 129 [0], given: 61

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 16 Feb 2010
Posts: 218

Kudos [?]: 378 [1], given: 16

Re: Among lower-paid workers, union members are less likely than non union [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Sep 2010, 18:10
1
This post received
KUDOS
suchoudh wrote:
Ok, lets compare choices D and E.

lower- end insurance plans that impose stricter limits on medical services and require doctors to see more patients, spending less time with each.
or
lower- end insurance plans that impose stricter limits on medical services, requiring doctors to see more patients and spending less time with each.

How do you decide whether the participial modifier in E modifies "insurance plans" (i.e. illogical conclusion that insurance plans are spending less time) but D does not do so.


because in D the "spending less time with each" can be a result of the "require doctors to see more patients" ie the doctors are the ones who spend less time with each pationes since they are the ones next to the "spe4nding less time" clause.....

Kudos [?]: 378 [1], given: 16

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 20 Apr 2010
Posts: 36

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 7

Re: Among lower-paid workers, union members are less likely than non union [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Sep 2010, 22:23
I selected C, but can now see why it's D.

X are more likely than Y to be enrolled in lower-end insurance plans THAT impose A and require B, (which leads to) spending...

If you say C:
X are more likely than Y to be enrolled in lower-end insurance plans THAT impose A, require B, AND spend less time...

The point is the restraints of the lower-end insurance lead to less time spent with patients, it's not an AND scenario.

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 7

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 26 Sep 2010
Posts: 2

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 1

Re: Among lower-paid workers, union members are less likely than non union [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Oct 2010, 01:57
papillon86 wrote:
calvinhobbes wrote:
aknine wrote:
I would go with option D

A and B are clearly rejected, we are left with C, D and E.
the second part of the sentence gives 2 the features of the insurance plan:
- Imposing stricter limits on medical services
- require doctors to see more patients.
because seeing more patients in less time indicates spending less time with each, we don't need to separate the two by 'and' because they invariably mean the same.
So, the 2 features are separated by 'and' and the following by a comma.

Among lower-paid workers, union members are less likely than nonunion members to be enrolled in lower-end insurance plans that impose stricter limits on medical services and require doctors to see more patients, spending less time with each.



Nice explanation.

Would A be correct if the comma in "requiring doctors to see more patients, and spend" is removed?

I don't see why "that" is required here.



Hi,

'That' is required because we are talking about the plan and its effects.
that/which should modify plan here and not the ongoing action or the subject

Therefore,
union member enroll in plans that/which impose

And not

union members enroll in plans imposing...... ==> union members are imposing




Manager, Hi!

Could you, please, help me with this "A" issue. Here is the problem - probably because of my lack of grammar, I don't understand why "imposing stricter limits" can't modify plans. For me, "plans imposing stricter limits and ..." is fine. What plans - plans imposing limits. So the only thing I see wrong about "A" is the comma, but it's not enough. Could you please clarify what I'm getting wrong. You have mentioned that "imposing" modifies "unions", and this comment is probably is the key, but I still don't understand it.

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 1

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 24 Aug 2010
Posts: 187

Kudos [?]: 99 [0], given: 18

Location: Finland
Schools: Admitted: IESE($$),HEC, RSM,Esade
WE 1: 3.5 years international
Re: Among lower-paid workers, union members are less likely than non union [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Oct 2010, 03:41
tenaman10 wrote:
Among lower-paid workers, union members are less likely than nonunion members to be enrolled in lower-end insurance plans imposing stricter limits on medical services and requiring doctors to see more patients, and spend less time with each.
(A) imposing stricter limits on medical services and requiring doctors to see more patients, and spend
(B) imposing stricter limits on medical services, requiring doctors to see more patients, and spending
(C) that impose stricter limits on medical services, require doctors to see more patients, and spend
(D) that impose stricter limits on medical services and require doctors to see more patients, spending
(E) that impose stricter limits on medical services, requiring doctors to see more patients and spending

I will go for C.
A and B are eliminated because you need "that" in this clause, otherwise it sounds like its the plans which are imposing thses rules rather than the peopl who came up with these plans.
D is incorrect, because the last part "spending less time with each" is not even a sentence as it misses the verb and the -Ing form itself cannot be used as a verb.
E is incorrect because it is what we call superfiaicial parallelism. Its incorrect because all three parallel elements should have equal weightage, instead of the last two being a subordinatinate to the first one.
C correctly uses "that" to create perfect parallelism.

Kudos [?]: 99 [0], given: 18

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 25 Jul 2010
Posts: 180

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 4

Re: Among lower-paid workers, union members are less likely than non union [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Jan 2011, 04:49
(D)

(A) imposing stricter limits on medical services and requiring doctors to see more patients, and spend
(B) imposing stricter limits on medical services, requiring doctors to see more patients, and spending
(C) that impose stricter limits on medical services, require doctors to see more patients, and spend
(D) that impose stricter limits on medical services and require doctors to see more patients, spending
(E) that impose stricter limits on medical services, requiring doctors to see more patients and spending
_________________

Raptor

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 4

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 25 Jul 2010
Posts: 180

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 4

Re: Among lower-paid workers, union members are less likely than non union [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Jan 2011, 04:52
(D)

(A) imposing stricter limits on medical services and requiring doctors to see more patients, and spend
(B) imposing stricter limits on medical services, requiring doctors to see more patients, and spending
(C) that impose stricter limits on medical services, require doctors to see more patients, and spend
(D) that impose stricter limits on medical services and require doctors to see more patients, spending
(E) that impose stricter limits on medical services, requiring doctors to see more patients and spending
_________________

Raptor

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 4

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
B
Affiliations: SPG
Joined: 15 Nov 2006
Posts: 320

Kudos [?]: 898 [0], given: 28

Re: Among lower-paid workers, union members are less likely than non union [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Jan 2011, 03:30

plans THAT
impose ..
require ..
spend ...

the verbs should be 'logically parallel' and not just simply parallel. impose and require are fine, but what about spend. do plans spend? of course not, spend is not logically parallel.

'plans THAT require doctors to see more patients, spending less time with each'
CORRECT

_________________

press kudos, if you like the explanation, appreciate the effort or encourage people to respond.

Download the Ultimate SC Flashcards

Kudos [?]: 898 [0], given: 28

5 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
User avatar
P
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
Joined: 19 Feb 2007
Posts: 4315

Kudos [?]: 8199 [5], given: 364

Location: India
WE: Education (Education)
Re: Among lower-paid workers, union members are less likely than non union [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Sep 2011, 00:09
5
This post received
KUDOS
4
This post was
BOOKMARKED
The question is whether this sentence flaunts two equal elements or three elements in the second part. If there are three, all the three should be equated and the use of a co-ordinate conjunction is proper. However, if there are only two functions and if the other function is indeed part of the second function, then conjugating with a coordinated conjunction and is wrong. The third factor entails a sub position or a modifying role using a participle.

In the given case, there is Plans imposing or that impose 1. Stricter limits and 2. (that) require doctors to see more patients. These are the only two stipulations that the plans impose. The act of spending is a corollary of seeing more patients, meaning that the doctors have to see more patients by spending less time with each patient. Therefore, all choices that use the ordinate conjunction and to conjugate spend or spending as if it is an independent function are wrong.

As per this norm, only D survives and is the right answer.

Plans imposing or plans that impose?. Note that there is no comma before imposing. Hence imposing is a straight-ahead, essential modification of plans and is acceptable. However, plans tht impose is more direct than imposing and hence preferable.

Overall, we can see how meaning is gaining predominance over other things. Given the newfound importance to meaning, this topic promises to be a good pitch.
_________________

Can you solve at least some SC questions without delving into the initial statement?

Narendran 98845 44509

Kudos [?]: 8199 [5], given: 364

Re: Among lower-paid workers, union members are less likely than non union   [#permalink] 29 Sep 2011, 00:09

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4    Next  [ 74 posts ] 

Display posts from previous: Sort by

Among lower-paid workers, union members are less likely than non union

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.