It is currently 19 Oct 2017, 15:41

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Among people experience migraine headaches, some experience

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Re: Among people experience migraine headaches, some experience [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Dec 2014, 04:53
i got a migraine reading this...but A

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

BSchool Forum Moderator
S

Kudos [?]: 207 [0], given: 79

Concentration: Strategy
Schools: Fisher '19 (M)
GPA: 3.71
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 03 Jul 2015, 14:11
atey2010 wrote:
The correct answer is A. Here is why:

When I started to read this stimulus, I can tell that the author wants you to make distinction between siblings and spouse. The first sentence doesn't really help but the key to this question is the last sentence. There's a distinction and comparison between siblings of classical migraine sufferers and spouse of classical migraine sufferers. Author posits that siblings of classical migraine sufferers are four times more likely than general population to experience classical migraine. On the other hand, spouse of classical migraine sufferers are no more likely than general population to experience classical migraine. If you understand this then it should be clear why A is correct. A is synonymous to the last sentence of the passage, the author just puts it in a different or perhaps more convoluted way to catch the test takers.

Why D is incorrect? The prompt only talks about siblings (brother & sister) and spouses (husband/wives) of the migraine sufferers. The author never talk about children of migraine sufferers, therefore choice D could be true but not must be true. We need more information. However, answer choice A must be true, this is why A is correct.

BTW, notice that D is talking in the opposite direction

It says

Children of people who suffer from common migraines are not more likely than the general population to experience a common migraine.

Argument says that they are TWICE LIKELY even if you consider children to be a part of sibling

Kudos [?]: 207 [0], given: 79

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 68 [0], given: 15

Schools: ISB '15
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.76
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 04 Jul 2015, 07:13
IMO A is the correct answer.
And this is not a strengthen question

The information above provides the most support for which of the following hypotheses?

These question stems uses the word support but are basically must be true/Conclusion/Inference questions.

So out of all 5 options only A is true according to the Stimulus

Kudos [?]: 68 [0], given: 15

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 57 [0], given: 146

GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 31 Jul 2015, 02:44
A: This is the correct answer
B: The stimulus discusses siblings and spouses (married) not unmarried adults.
C: Does not even make sense
D: Again, the stimulus discusses siblings and spouses not specifically children. Even though, siblings could not children
E: Not necessarily correct. Just because a part of the population is twice or four times more likely to experience certain types of migraines. It does not mean that between one-quarter and one-half the general population suffer from common or classical migraine headaches. This could even be proved with a numerical example.

Kudos [?]: 57 [0], given: 146

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Kudos [?]: 261 [0], given: 0

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 09 Aug 2016, 10:18
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Kudos [?]: 261 [0], given: 0

Math Forum Moderator
D

Kudos [?]: 950 [0], given: 72

Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.2
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 24 Sep 2016, 02:06
Among people experience migraine headaches, some experience what doctors call"common" migraines, whereas others experience "classical" migraines. Siblings and spouses of common migraine sufferers are themselves twice as likely as the general population to experience common migraines. Siblings of classical migraine sufferers are four times more likely than the general population to experience classical migraines, whereas spouses of classical migraine suferers are no more likely than the general population to experience such headaches.

Type - Inference
Boil it down - Common migraine - Siblings and spouses have 2x probability of suffering
Classical migraine -Siblings have 4x probability of suffering
Pre-Thinking - the hereditary link is an important factor in classical migraine

The information above provides the most support for which of the following hypotheses?

(A) Susceptibility to classical migraines is more dependent on hereditary factors than is susceptibility to common migraines. Correct answer
(B) Unmarried adults are more likely to suffer from classical migraines than they are to suffer from common migraines. May or may not be true
(C) People who do not experience migraine headaches are unlikely to have spouses who are migraine headache sufferers. Out of scope
(D) Children of people who suffer from common migraines are more likely than the general population to experience a common migraine. May or may not be true as children have not been talked in the argument
(E) Between one-quarter and one-half of the general population suffer from either common or classical migraine headaches. Out of scope

When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it. - Henry Ford
The Moment You Think About Giving Up, Think Of The Reason Why You Held On So Long
+1 Kudos if you find this post helpful

Kudos [?]: 950 [0], given: 72

Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 46

GMAT 1: 620 Q46 V29
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 10 May 2017, 03:31
A) Correct, since basing on premises provided it can be logically derived.
B) Incorrect, since it presents new information about unmarried adults
C) Incorrect, again new information about portion of population which is not susceptible to migraine.
D) Incorrect, again new information about children
E) Incorrect, new information about ratios.

Key feature of Inference question is that correct answer choice must be within given constrains presented in the passage.

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 46

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 14

Show Tags

New post 14 Aug 2017, 08:17
+1 for A.
It is mentioned that siblings are 4 times more likely to suffer from classical migraines and spouses are similar to the general population here. Hence the classical migraines are linked to a hereditary problem.
Only A specifies that.

You can also reach to A by method of elimination.

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 14

Re: Among people experience migraine headaches, some experience   [#permalink] 14 Aug 2017, 08:17

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   [ 48 posts ] 

Among people experience migraine headaches, some experience

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap