It is currently 21 Apr 2018, 16:10

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Among the largest of the flying squirrels is the Japanese

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

3 KUDOS received
Verbal Forum Moderator
V
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Kelley '20, ISB '19
GPA: 3.2
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Among the largest of the flying squirrels is the Japanese [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Aug 2016, 12:23
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

15% (low)

Question Stats:

71% (00:42) correct 29% (00:36) wrong based on 534 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Among the largest of the flying squirrels is the Japanese giant flying squirrel , measuring two feet from the top of its head to the tip of its tail, with a wingspan of more than a foot and a half , and it weights up to five pounds.
a.measuring two feet from the top of its head to the tip of its tail, with a wingspan of more than a foot and a half , and it weights

b. measuring two feet from the top of its head to the tip of its tail , a wingspan of more than a foot and a half , and weighing

c. which measures two feet from the top of its head to the tip of its tail , its wingspan is more than a foot and a half , and weighing

d. which measures two feet from the top of its head to the tip of its tail , with a wingspan of more than a foot and a half , weighing

e. which measures two feet from the top of its head to the tip of its tail , has a wingspan of more than a foot and a half , and weighs
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it. - Henry Ford
The Moment You Think About Giving Up, Think Of The Reason Why You Held On So Long
+1 Kudos if you find this post helpful

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: General Management, International Business
WE: Engineering (Consulting)
Re: Among the largest of the flying squirrels is the Japanese [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Aug 2016, 12:32
Skywalker18 wrote:
Among the largest of the flying squirrels is the Japanese giant flying squirrel , measuring two feet from the top of its head to the tip of its tail, with a wingspan of more than a foot and a half , and it weights up to five pounds.
a.measuring two feet from the top of its head to the tip of its tail, with a wingspan of more than a foot and a half , and it weights

b. measuring two feet from the top of its head to the tip of its tail , a wingspan of more than a foot and a half , and weighing

c. which measures two feet from the top of its head to the tip of its tail , its wingspan is more than a foot and a half , and weighing

d. which measures two feet from the top of its head to the tip of its tail , with a wingspan of more than a foot and a half , weighing

e. which measures two feet from the top of its head to the tip of its tail , has a wingspan of more than a foot and a half , and weighs

Answer is E) since it maintains the Parallel structure
which measures two feet from the top of its head to the tip of its tail , has a wingspan of more than a foot and a half , and weighs

+1 for kudos
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
B
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 23 Aug 2016, 12:49
This post received
KUDOS
Among the largest of the flying squirrels is the Japanese giant flying squirrel , measuring two feet from the top of its head to the tip of its tail,
with a wingspan of more than a foot and a half
, and it weights
up to five pounds.

a.measuring two feet from the top of its head to the tip of its tail, with a wingspan of more than a foot and a half , and it weights - The sentence has 2 modifiers inserted between a clause where. Correct

b. measuring two feet from the top of its head to the tip of its tail , a wingspan of more than a foot and a half , and weighing - Here it tries to create parallelism between non existent parallel element. Also a wingspan... is a noun modifier. Due to its placement it modifies tail. The third element which is a phrase ain't parallel to the first element which is a clause.

c. which measures two feet from the top of its head to the tip of its tail , its wingspan is more than a foot and a half , and weighing - Here it converts the second element into a clause that is connected inappropriately with the first. Also , it connects a clause with a phrase with the help of and which anyway connects 2 parallel elements.

d. which measures two feet from the top of its head to the tip of its tail , with a wingspan of more than a foot and a half , weighing - It converts it weighs which is part of the main clause into a modifier as a third element causing a shift in meaning.

e. which measures two feet from the top of its head to the tip of its tail , has a wingspan of more than a foot and a half , and weighs - Grammatically correct option but creates parallelism between elements which weren't parallel causing a shift in meaning.
Expert Post
Top Contributor
1 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
P
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 23 Aug 2016, 15:19
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Top Contributor
This post was
BOOKMARKED

Option A: is there a transcription typo in saying ‘it weights”? Let’s take that the corrected version says “, and it weighs”. Even then, it runs into problems.

We m first have an IC and then two back to back modifier phrases modifying the first IC and then a another IC conjoined by a coordinator ‘and’ . Ok apparently fine; but the problem is that the back-to-back modifiers should themselves be separated by another ‘and’.

Secondly, assuming that the second IC’s ‘it’ refers to the squirrel, we can do without the pronoun and the sentence will still be grammatical as the same subject can be elliptically used in the place of the stated pronoun. Many times, it has been felt that it is redundant to state the pronoun yet again.

If we are referring to the squirrel with three features, it is best to put them all in// structures as does E.

Can you solve at least some SC questions without delving into the initial statement?

Narendran 98845 44509

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
B
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 23 Aug 2016, 22:57
This post received
KUDOS
Hi Daagh,

I had the following questions in bold to your responses:

Option A: is there a transcription typo in saying ‘it weights”? Let’s take that the corrected version says “, and it weighs”. Even then, it runs into problems.

We m first have an IC and then two back to back modifier phrases modifying the first IC and then a another IC conjoined by a coordinator ‘and’ . Ok apparently fine; but the problem is that the back-to-back modifiers should themselves be separated by another ‘and’. - If we use and here then the modifiers need to be parallel. The issues is one is a verbing and the other is a prep phrase. That will not be parallel. Do you think that's right?

Secondly, assuming that the second IC’s ‘it’ refers to the squirrel, we can do without the pronoun and the sentence will still be grammatical as the same subject can be elliptically used in the place of the stated pronoun. Many times, it has been felt that it is redundant to state the pronoun yet again. - If you look at the subject it is a noun phrase saying among the many....I think a pronoun simplifies it and refers to the squirrel instead of the entire noun phrase. What's your thought on this?

If we are referring to the squirrel with three features, it is best to put them all in// structures as does E.[/quote] - For the reasons stated above I think E changes meaning by changing the focus of the sentence.
Director
Director
G

Show Tags

New post 23 Aug 2016, 23:33
nishatfarhat87 wrote:
If we use and here then the modifiers need to be parallel. The issues is one is a verbing and the other is a prep phrase. That will not be parallel. Do you think that's right?

Hi nishatfarhat87, I believe what daagh sir meant was that at the very least, there should have been an and (not that the sentence would have been completely correct in that case).

Quote:
If you look at the subject it is a noun phrase saying among the many....I think a pronoun simplifies it and refers to the squirrel instead of the entire noun phrase. What's your thought on this?

Actually the subject is the Japanese giant flying squirrel (that's also the reason for singular verb is). Such constructs are called inverted constructs; test-takers should be comfortable with these constructs.

Quote:
For the reasons stated above I think E changes meaning by changing the focus of the sentence.

Actually E puts equal focus on the three features, because of this parallelism: ....which measures <something>..., has <something>, and weighs <something>

So, Parallelism is between three verbs: measures, has, and weighs.

p.s. Our book EducationAisle Sentence Correction Nirvana discusses Inverted construct, its application and examples. If someone is interested, PM me your email-id; I can mail the corresponding section.

Thanks,
Ashish
EducationAisle, Bangalore

Sentence Correction Nirvana available at Amazon.in and Flipkart

Now! Preview the entire Grammar Section of Sentence Correction Nirvana at pothi.com

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: General Management, Economics
GMAT 1: 640 Q44 V33
WE: Sales (Telecommunications)

Show Tags

New post 04 Sep 2016, 03:31
I think this is a remake of OG question about flying reptile. The same wording))

"Are you gangsters?" - "No we are Russians!"

Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 22 Sep 2016, 11:59
Hi,

I just learnt the concept of Verb-ing Modifiers today and tried to apply the same here.
According to me :-
in A/ B < measuring > , needs to modify the entire clause <Among the largest of the flying squirrels is the Japanese giant flying squirrel >

This Modification of the Entire clause by < measuring > seems incorrect to me.

C > which measures two feet from the top of its head to the tip of its tail , its wingspan is more than a foot and a half , and weighing <<< Seems to be Parallelism Issue to me>>

D > "AND" should be there before "Weighs"

E > which measures two feet from the top of its head to the tip of its tail , has a wingspan of more than a foot and a half , and weighs

< Seems good to me >

Kindly note that I have laid my hands on Verb-ed/ Verb-Ing Modifiers only today.Kindly correct me if I have said something incorrect.

Regards,
Abhishek

EducationAisle wrote:
nishatfarhat87 wrote:
If we use and here then the modifiers need to be parallel. The issues is one is a verbing and the other is a prep phrase. That will not be parallel. Do you think that's right?

Hi nishatfarhat87, I believe what daagh sir meant was that at the very least, there should have been an and (not that the sentence would have been completely correct in that case).

Quote:
If you look at the subject it is a noun phrase saying among the many....I think a pronoun simplifies it and refers to the squirrel instead of the entire noun phrase. What's your thought on this?

Actually the subject is the Japanese giant flying squirrel (that's also the reason for singular verb is). Such constructs are called inverted constructs; test-takers should be comfortable with these constructs.

Quote:
For the reasons stated above I think E changes meaning by changing the focus of the sentence.

Actually E puts equal focus on the three features, because of this parallelism: ....which measures <something>..., has <something>, and weighs <something>

So, Parallelism is between three verbs: measures, has, and weighs.

p.s. Our book EducationAisle Sentence Correction Nirvana discusses Inverted construct, its application and examples. If someone is interested, PM me your email-id; I can mail the corresponding section.
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35

Show Tags

New post 08 Feb 2017, 08:29
Among the largest of the flying squirrels is the Japanese giant flying squirrel.

is weighs didn't make sense to me. is there anybody who can breakdown the sentence?
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35

Show Tags

New post 08 Feb 2017, 08:30
is weighs didn't make sense to me. is there anybody who can breakdown the sentence?
Expert Post
3 KUDOS received
Verbal Expert
G
Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 09 Feb 2017, 06:29
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Korhand wrote:
Among the largest of the flying squirrels is the Japanese giant flying squirrel.

This is an example of subject-verb flip. First consider the following sentence:

The Japanese giant flying squirrel is among the largest of the flying squirrels.

Now flip:

The above is the main clause of the sentence.

Then comes a relative clause modifier (for "Japanese giant flying squirrel"): "which measures..., has..., and weighs...". The three verbs "measures","has" and "weighs" are within the relative clause modifier and have the same subject "which".
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 18 Jun 2017, 03:05
This post received
KUDOS

a. measuring two feet from the top of its head to the tip of its tail, with a wingspan of more than a foot and a half , and it weights

NOW YOU READ THE LAST THREE AT ONCE

I hate long and complicated explanations!

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 05 Dec 2017, 21:21
Hi, can anyone enlighten me why B is wrong?

Is it because ",measuring...." modifies a clause and not the noun before it, which in this case "measuring" is modifying the squirrel, hence the comma is excessive?

Ing modifier performs as a noun modifier without a comma in fron
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 06 Dec 2017, 08:43
tanww1987 wrote:
Hi, can anyone enlighten me why B is wrong?

Is it because ",measuring...." modifies a clause and not the noun before it, which in this case "measuring" is modifying the squirrel, hence the comma is excessive?

Ing modifier performs as a noun modifier without a comma in fron

Hi tanww1987,

let me try

Among the largest of the flying squirrels is the Japanese giant flying squirrel
, measuring two feet from the top of its head to the tip of its tail, - here 'measuring' is correctly modifying squirrel (note it is not just separated by a comma but a pair of comma)

, with a wingspan of more than a foot and a half,

and it weights up to five pounds.

B is wrong because parallelism is not maintained.
Re: Among the largest of the flying squirrels is the Japanese   [#permalink] 06 Dec 2017, 08:43

Among the largest of the flying squirrels is the Japanese

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap