GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 28 May 2020, 23:13

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Among the myths taken as fact by the environmental managers of most co

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Intern
Intern
B
Schools: IMD '21
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
Re: Among the myths taken as fact by the environmental managers of most co  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Jun 2018, 05:19
GMATNinja
As per your explanations if the option a was mentioned as below then would it be a correct answer choice:
address a widespread environmental management problem and suggest a possible solution.

What i comprehend from your earlier explanations is that since the author is not providing a number of possible solutions. Hence the option a is wrong.

Pl correct me.
IIMA, IIMC School Moderator
V
WE: Engineering (Other)
CAT Tests
Re: Among the myths taken as fact by the environmental managers of most co  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Jul 2018, 08:54
ammuseeru generis nightblade354 GMATNinja KarishmaB pikolo2510

For Q1,why is (A) incorrect based on below part of passage:
Quote:
For example, a plant situated near a number of larger non-compliant competitors
is less likely to attract the attention of local regulators than is an isolated plant, and less attention means lower costs.

Feeling stressed, you are not alone!!
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 430 Q38 V13
GPA: 3.55

Show Tags

New post 06 Apr 2019, 19:43
Hi, mikemcgarry and other moderators,
I have a confusion with primary purpose question here,

If I see official explanation it says option E is correct because: The primary purpose aims to dispel the belief that environmental regulations affect all companies in industry uniformly.

And if we see the last para where it is stated "By realizing that they have discretion and that not all industries are affected equally by environmental regulation,..."
states they are not equally affected.

Can somebody explain than how answer choice E is correct?

Press KUDOs if you find my doubt considerable
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
V
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 15 Apr 2019, 23:59
Saumya2403 wrote:
Hi, mikemcgarry and other moderators,
I have a confusion with primary purpose question here,

If I see official explanation it says option E is correct because: The primary purpose aims to dispel the belief that environmental regulations affect all companies in industry uniformly.

And if we see the last para where it is stated "By realizing that they have discretion and that not all industries are affected equally by environmental regulation,..."
states they are not equally affected.

Can somebody explain than how answer choice E is correct?

Press KUDOs if you find my doubt considerable

Please take a look at this post and the follow up post here, and let me know if you have any further questions!

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal: RC | CR | SC

YouTube LIVE verbal webinars: all videos by topic

SC articles & resources: How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

RC, CR, and other articles & resources: All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99 | Time management on verbal

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations: All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply? Hit the request verbal experts' reply button; be specific about your question, and tag @GMATNinja. Priority is always given to official GMAT questions.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 20 Oct 2019, 21:24
Hi there,

I have a confusion regarging qurestion 4 i.e find the primay purpose of the passage - I chose Option B. why is Option E better answer than B? Option E says correcting misconception now this is only restricted to para 1

mikemcgarry wrote:
zoezhuyan wrote:
Hi mikemcgarry or other experts,
I was confused with choice D in Question 54
54. Which of the following best describes the relationship of the statement about large plants (lines 18-26) to the passage as a whole?
(A) It presents a hypothesis that is disproved later in the passage.
(B) It highlights an opposition between two ideas mentioned in the passage.
(C) It provides examples to support a claim made earlier in the passage.
(D) It exemplifies a misconception mentioned earlier in the passage.
(E) It draws an analogy between two situations described in the passage.

IMO , "addition", the first word in paragraph 2, implies same level as the content preceding "addition".
here is an example which proves the main idea, so I view the comparison of larger company and smaller as an example to prove the main idea.

Please point out my faults.

Thanks in advance

have a nice day
>_~

Dear zoezhuyan,

I'm happy to respond. :-)

You are correct that "additionally" continues the line of argument. You are correct that the passage began with stating a misconception, then stating what is really true. We got one example, and after the word "additionally," we get another example. But these are examples of what?? Let's think about this carefully.

Misconception: Environmental regulations have the same effect on all companies.
Truth: Environmental regulations have vastly different effects on different companies.

Example #1: location can affect how much or little regulatory attention a company gets
(then the word "additionally")
Example #2: size matters: big vs. small companies also are affected differently

Those are examples of what? They are examples of how different companies are affected by environmental regulations in different ways. In other words, they are examples of the "Truth" that we listed above. They are NOT examples of the "misconception"--in fact, they are all counterexamples to the "misconception." Choice (D) has it exactly backwards! These are NOT examples of the misconception: quite to the contrary, they are examples demonstrating that the misconception is wrong.

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 21 Nov 2019, 21:51
Hi,
GMATNinja mikemcgarry please could you help me with the following

2. According to the passage, which of the following statements about sulfur dioxide and nitrogen oxide outputs is true?

(A) Older production technologies cannot be adapted so as to reduce production of these outputs as waste products.

(C) Although these outputs are environmentally hazardous, some plants still generate them as waste products despite the high compliance cost they impose.

While I understand the answer to this question is option C because the passage clearly states that "New regulations have imposed extensive compliance costs on companies still using older industrial coal-fired burners"

I still have my doubts regarding option A. The passage states that "older industrial coal-fired burners that generate high sulfur dioxide and nitrogen oxide outputs" So can't we infer that these old technologies cannot help reduce the waste output?

If they are generating high sulfur dioxide and nitrogen oxide how can they be used to reduce the waste output
Manager
Manager
B
GMAT 1: 570 Q42 V29
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 04 Apr 2020, 02:25
Hi GMATNinja,

Could you please help me with question no 2?

2. According to the passage, which of the following statements about sulfur dioxide and nitrogen oxide outputs is true?

(A) Older production technologies cannot be adapted so as to reduce production of these outputs as waste products.
(B) Under the most recent environmental regulations, industrial plants are no longer permitted to produce these outputs.
(C) Although these outputs are environmentally hazardous, some plants still generate them as waste products despite the high compliance cost they impose.
(D) Many older plants have developed innovative technological processes that reduce the amounts of these outputs generated as waste products.
(E) Since the production processes that generate these outputs are less costly than alternative processes, these less expensive processes are sometimes adopted despite their acknowledged environmental hazards.

The passage says, "Finally, older production technologies often continue to generate toxic wastes that were not regulated when the technology was first adopted."

I think I misread the word "adapted" for "adopted" while reading option (A) Older production technologies cannot be adapted so as to reduce production of these outputs as waste products.
What happens when older production technologies are adapted is clearly not discussed in the passage.
However, if option A were to have the word "adopted" instead of "adapted" option A could be true. Wouldn't you say?

Thank you,
Dablu
Intern
Intern
B
Among the myths taken as fact by the environmental managers of most co  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 May 2020, 00:06
VeritasKarishma
GMATNinja mikemcgarry
regulatory costs—and therefore compliance—fall unevenly, economically disadvantaging some companies and benefiting others. For example, a plant situated near a number of larger non-compliant competitors is less likely to attract the attention of local regulators than is an isolated plant, and less attention means lower costs.

will you explain ( therefore compliance )in this compliance refers to just compliance or compliance costs.
also explain (a plant situated near a number of larger non-compliant competitors is less likely to attract the attention of local regulators than is an isolated plant, and less attention means lower costs.) how noncompliant competitors is less likely to attract attention of local regulators.basically noncompliant means failing to act according their command.
i'm not getting how they are not getting attracted local regulators.

Also Why option A of first question is wrong according to above fact?
GMAT Club Bot
Among the myths taken as fact by the environmental managers of most co   [#permalink] 15 May 2020, 00:06

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 28 posts ] 

Among the myths taken as fact by the environmental managers of most co

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics