It is currently 13 Dec 2017, 09:13

Decision(s) Day!:

CHAT Rooms | Ross R1 | Kellogg R1 | Darden R1 | Tepper R1

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Among the objects found in the excavated temple were small

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 52

GMAT 1: 620 Q49 V25
Re: Among the objects found in the excavated temple were small [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Jun 2017, 10:38
dwivedys wrote:
A is right because of parallel structure (healing and thanking)
E is not because it does not preserve parallelism.

It is either asking......or thanking....... parallelism.....
not healing...... or thanking......

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 52

BSchool Forum Moderator
P

Kudos [?]: 228 [0], given: 200

GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V37
GPA: 3.65
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 27 Jun 2017, 08:53
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Among the objects found in the excavated temple were small terra-cotta effigies left by supplicants who
were either asking the goddess Bona Dea’s aid in healing physical and mental ills or thanking her for such
help.
A. in healing physical and mental ills or thanking her for such help
Correct as it is ..
It uses correct form of idiom “either …or” unlike some of the other options.
Also, the usage of “aid in healing” is perfectly fine.

B. in healing physical and mental ills and to thank her for helping
“either ….or” idiom is tweaked “either …and” !!!

C. in healing physical and mental ills, and thanking her for helping
Same Error as option B

D. to heal physical and mental ills or to thank her for such help
“Either asking ….or thanking” is required…”to thank” is Not parallel with “asking”

E. to heal physical and mental ills or thanking her for such help
Note that “aid” here is used a noun (Bona Dea’s Aid) and hence no preposition should follow “aid”
So usage of “to heal” after aid is ungrammatical.

Compilation of Blogs by Mike Mcgarry - Magoosh

Kudos [?]: 228 [0], given: 200

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 161

Show Tags

New post 14 Aug 2017, 23:56
(B) in healing physical and mental ills and to thank her for helping issue with parallelism :)
(C) in healing physical and mental ills, and thanking her for helping same issue
(D) to heal physical and mental ills or to thank her for such help ---- not correct for reasons above mentioned :)

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 161

Expert Post
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
G

Kudos [?]: 8950 [0], given: 111

Show Tags

New post 16 Aug 2017, 08:53
bpiyush wrote:
Experts please pitch in

Dear bpiyush,

I'm happy to respond. :-)

My friend, I am going to chide you for asking a not-very-helpful question. This thread is five pages long: it is full of all kinds of discussions. What exactly is the dispute or uncertainty that requires attention? Your question is not helpful to us experts and it also was not helpful to you. Think about it. How much time did it take to write and post that question? How much effort did it take? How much thoughtful reflection went into crafting that question? The process of education is very much a reflection of what you bring: low effort brings meager rewards and high effort brings substantial rewards. If you aspire to an excellent performance, I strongly recommend the habits of excellence. One of these concerns the often underrated value of crafting high quality questions. See:
Asking Excellent Questions
You see, the reflection and thoughtful effort it takes to craft an excellent question is actually an essential and often neglected part of the learning process. It's important to bring as much diligence and priority to this task as to the other learning tasks. How you do anything is how you do everything.

Here's my challenge to you. Come back to this thread and study it carefully. Think about the exact issue that you believe need clarification. Explain what you understand from all the parties who discussed that topic, cite all the relevant authors & entries, explain exactly what you understand and exactly the part that is still unclear to you. If you ask that excellent question, I will be more than happy to respond.

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire. — William Butler Yeats (1865 – 1939)

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 10

Among the objects found in the excavated temple were small [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Aug 2017, 23:16
mikemcgarry wrote:
bpiyush wrote:
Experts please pitch in

Dear bpiyush,

I'm happy to respond. :-)

My friend, I am going to chide you for asking a not-very-helpful question. This thread is five pages long: it is full of all kinds of discussions. What exactly is the dispute or uncertainty that requires attention? Your question is not helpful to us experts and it also was not helpful to you. Think about it. How much time did it take to write and post that question? How much effort did it take? How much thoughtful reflection went into crafting that question? The process of education is very much a reflection of what you bring: low effort brings meager rewards and high effort brings substantial rewards. If you aspire to an excellent performance, I strongly recommend the habits of excellence. One of these concerns the often underrated value of crafting high quality questions. See:
Asking Excellent Questions
You see, the reflection and thoughtful effort it takes to craft an excellent question is actually an essential and often neglected part of the learning process. It's important to bring as much diligence and priority to this task as to the other learning tasks. How you do anything is how you do everything.

Here's my challenge to you. Come back to this thread and study it carefully. Think about the exact issue that you believe need clarification. Explain what you understand from all the parties who discussed that topic, cite all the relevant authors & entries, explain exactly what you understand and exactly the part that is still unclear to you. If you ask that excellent question, I will be more than happy to respond.

Dear mikemcgarry,
Thanks for your reply. I highly appreciate this forum and the efforts that have been put forward by all the members. I am sorry for my question that did not reflect the doubt I actually had. So my doubt is between the options A and E which would be better. I am facing difficulty in that. I do understand the question brings in the concept of correlative conjunctions and parallelism. I do understand the usage of asking after either would require the usage of thanking after or. But whether it should be in healing or to heal there lies my doubt.
Please help me with this doubt.
Regards

Expert Post
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
G

Show Tags

New post 17 Aug 2017, 09:30
bpiyush wrote:
Dear mikemcgarry,
Thanks for your reply. I highly appreciate this forum and the efforts that have been put forward by all the members. I am sorry for my question that did not reflect the doubt I actually had. So my doubt is between the options A and E which would be better. I am facing difficulty in that. I do understand the question brings in the concept of correlative conjunctions and parallelism. I do understand the usage of asking after either would require the usage of thanking after or. But whether it should be in healing or to heal there lies my doubt.
Regards

Dear bpiyush,

I'm happy to respond. :-) Thank you for asking a much better question.

What you are asking is an idiom question. I will recommend these free resource:
GMAT Idiom Flashcards
GMAT Idiom eBook

The correct idiom is: to ask for aid in doing X.

The infinitive sound unnatural in this context. It's close to an infinitive of purpose, but it doesn't work here.

It's hard to learn all the nuances of idioms. I strongly recommend developing a habit of reading. See:
How to Improve Your GMAT Verbal Score

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire. — William Butler Yeats (1865 – 1939)

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 17 Aug 2017, 19:36
mikemcgarry wrote:
bpiyush wrote:
Dear mikemcgarry,
Regards

Dear bpiyush,

I'm happy to respond. :-) Thank you for asking a much better question.

What you are asking is an idiom question. I will recommend these free resource:
GMAT Idiom Flashcards
GMAT Idiom eBook

The correct idiom is: to ask for aid in doing X.

The infinitive sound unnatural in this context. It's close to an infinitive of purpose, but it doesn't work here.

It's hard to learn all the nuances of idioms. I strongly recommend developing a habit of reading. See:
How to Improve Your GMAT Verbal Score

Dear @mikemcgarry,
Thanks a lot.
Regards

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 30

Concentration: Marketing, International Business

Show Tags

New post 17 Aug 2017, 22:27
I also think E is right.
Can someone confirm what answer option suits to this Question???

Thanks in advance.

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 30

VP
VP
G

Kudos [?]: 89 [0], given: 570

Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V36
GRE 1: 314 Q157 V157
GPA: 3.4
WE: Manufacturing and Production (Manufacturing)
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 18 Aug 2017, 01:39
The answer is A
Aid in is the correct idiom .
A maintains parallelism .
B there is lack of parallelism present participle is not parallel to infinitive of purpose .
C helping is wrong it should be help .
D wrong idiom and the act of supplicants asking was recorded in these effigies so we have to use present participle here .
E wrong idiom does not maintain parallelism.

Sent from my ONE E1003 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

We are more often frightened than hurt; and we suffer more from imagination than from reality

Kudos [?]: 89 [0], given: 570

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 107

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 10 Nov 2017, 18:39
pusht wrote:
Among the objects found in the excavated temple were small terra-cotta effigies left by supplicants who were either asking the goddess Bona Dea's aid in healing physical and mental ills or thanking her for such help.

(A) in healing physical and mental ills or thanking her for such help
(B) in healing physical and mental ills and to thank her for helping
(C) in healing physical and mental ills, and thanking her for helping
(D) to heal physical and mental ills or to thank her for such help
(E) to heal physical and mental ills or thanking her for such help

The difference between "in healing" or "to heal":

A subject makes an action --> Bona heals so it could be "...asking the goddess Bona Dea to heal"

In this case, you have Bona Dea's aid (it is not a subject, it cannot be the subject of a verb) so we have to follow the phrase with "in healing"

Among A,B and C, it is clear that people ask Bonas'aid "in... OR ... ": B is not parallel and C has a comma before "and" that in this case does not fit

Answer A

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 107

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 408

Show Tags

New post 10 Nov 2017, 23:34
pusht wrote:
Among the objects found in the excavated temple were small terra-cotta effigies left by supplicants who were either asking the goddess Bona Dea's aid in healing physical and mental ills or thanking her for such help.

(A) in healing physical and mental ills or thanking her for such help
(B) in healing physical and mental ills and to thank her for helping
(C) in healing physical and mental ills, and thanking her for helping
(D) to heal physical and mental ills or to thank her for such help
(E) to heal physical and mental ills or thanking her for such help

this point of test here is purely grammatical , and, so , is not typical of the thing on which gmat test.

in dictionary, we have
aid sombody in doing something
so, we can infer that the noun "aid" is similar." provide an aid in learning gmat" is good.

another reason to eliminate choice e is that

in the pattern " do somebody to do 2 something"
normally somebody perform the do 2. exmple.
I ask you to learn english. you are the person who learn english.

there is no pattern in which something is after "do". in short, pattern in e dose exist.

this is a little hard because we do not see "aid (noun) in doing " in the dictionary. but it is still purely grammatical/idiomatic. this means, remember the idiom.

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 408

Re: Among the objects found in the excavated temple were small   [#permalink] 10 Nov 2017, 23:34

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4   5   6   [ 111 posts ] 

Among the objects found in the excavated temple were small

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap