Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 15:53 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 15:53

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 396 [0]
Given Kudos: 2198
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4653 [0]
Given Kudos: 631
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 84
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
Send PM
Re: Among the objects found in the excavated temple were small terra-cotta [#permalink]
Expert Reply
iamdivs wrote:
- you ask for someone's help/aid
- you don't ask someone's aid (here aid would mean a person or an entity who would help)

Hi iamdivs,

I'm not sure whether this is a complete answer, but we can absolutely "ask {something}" (ask ~ "request" or "seek").

Quick example: both "ask her opinion" and "ask for her opinion" are possible.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 84
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Re: Among the objects found in the excavated temple were small terra-cotta [#permalink]
AjiteshArun wrote:
iamdivs wrote:
- you ask for someone's help/aid
- you don't ask someone's aid (here aid would mean a person or an entity who would help)

Hi iamdivs,

I'm not sure whether this is a complete answer, but we can absolutely "ask {something}" (ask ~ "request" or "seek").

Quick example: both "ask her opinion" and "ask for her opinion" are possible.

Sure sorry if I didn't make myself clear what I wanted to say is you don't ask someone 'in something'

You sure can ask someone to do something but not in something or you can ask for someone's help in something but then 'for' would be required. I will appreciate if you could help me understand this question's correct answer. It seems here 'help' is not a person but rather the actual help needed ( as clear from the second part of the sentence)

Thank you!

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
Send PM
Expert Reply
iamdivs wrote:
Sure sorry if I didn't make myself clear what I wanted to say is you don't ask someone 'in something'

You sure can ask someone to do something but not in something or you can ask for someone's help in something but then 'for' would be required. I will appreciate if you could help me understand this question's correct answer. It seems here 'help' is not a person but rather the actual help needed ( as clear from the second part of the sentence)

Thank you!

I understand your question now. That's not exactly what this sentence is saying.

... were asking the goddess Bona Dea's aid in healing physical and mental ills...
is the same as
... were asking (the goddess Bona Dea's aid in healing physical and mental ills)...
or
... were asking someone's something...
not
... were asking someone in something...

Let's take another look at "ask her opinion". (a) Ask is a verb, (b) her is a possessive pronoun, and (c) opinion is a noun.

In "were asking the goddess Bona Dea's aid in healing physical and mental ills", (a) were asking is a verb, (b) the goddess Bona Dea's is a possessive noun, and (c) aid in healing physical and mental ills is a noun (because of aid). The in that we see there is for aid, not ask.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 73 [0]
Given Kudos: 63
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V36
GMAT 2: 730 Q50 V39
Send PM
GMATNinja wrote:

But in relatively rare cases, there’s nothing else you can do: you just have to fight with the idiom. In this case, it turns out that the GMAT prefers the phrase “aid in healing” over “aid to heal.” The same is true if we replace “aid” with “help”: “help in healing” would apparently be correct on the GMAT, but “help to heal” would not. So (A) is correct, and (E) is wrong.

GMATNinja I think you are wrong on this one... "Help TO" is correct Idiom, "Not Help IN".
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63668 [2]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Jks3000 wrote:
GMATNinja wrote:

But in relatively rare cases, there’s nothing else you can do: you just have to fight with the idiom. In this case, it turns out that the GMAT prefers the phrase “aid in healing” over “aid to heal.” The same is true if we replace “aid” with “help”: “help in healing” would apparently be correct on the GMAT, but “help to heal” would not. So (A) is correct, and (E) is wrong.

GMATNinja I think you are wrong on this one... "Help TO" is correct Idiom, "Not Help IN".

For starters, this official GMAT SC question would beg to differ with you.

More importantly: the relative importance of knowing this particular idiom is very, very low. Sure, it might show up on the test, but thousands of other idioms might show up as well, meaning that it is kind of a waste of time to study particular idioms. So I really don't recommend that you waste too many brain cells on this issue :).

That being said, both "in" and "to" can be correct, depending on the exact construction:

1) Help in doing something: This is the construction most relevant to the question on this thread. I would ask a friend for "help in studying for the GMAT," NOT for "help to study for the GMAT." This mirrors the "aid in healing" construction in (A).

2) Help someone to do something: for example, I might "help my parents to buy a house." Here we have "help... to," but it is separated by a noun. Sure, this is correct English -- but I'm not sure I've ever seen this construction on the GMAT, making this concept a very low priority.

Overall, the other issues in this question are much higher value, because they are far more likely to show up on other questions. This idiom, on the other hand, is very unlikely to be a factor on test day.

I hope that helps!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V44
Send PM
GMATNinja
What exactly is the 'her' referring to? I believe pronouns cannot refer back to possessive nouns - in which case, here the 'her' must refer back to 'aid', which doesn't make sense.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63668 [1]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
mukul278 wrote:
GMATNinja
What exactly is the 'her' referring to? I believe pronouns cannot refer back to possessive nouns - in which case, here the 'her' must refer back to 'aid', which doesn't make sense.

Subject/object pronouns typically don't refer back to possessive nouns, but unfortunately that is not an ironclad rule. In this case, you could argue that "her" refers to "the goddess" and doesn't in fact refer back to a possessive.

But regardless of what "her" technically refers to, there is only one possible referent here that makes sense, and that's the goddess Bona Dea.

More importantly, all five options use "her," so clearly the GMAT doesn't want us worrying about it!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [0]
Given Kudos: 91
Concentration: Leadership, General Management
Send PM
I have a doubt.

In correlative conjunction like not only x but also y, the x part cannot be carried over to the y part.
ex : Not only Jim is crazy but also Jim is fun. // This is correct

Jim not only is crazy but also fun // this is wrong

In above sentence, the deity part is in X part of conjunction, how can you the "her" after 'or' refer back to the deity?

^ Might be a very basic thing that I am missing here, would be great if someone could explain what that is
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4653 [1]
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
Send PM
Among the objects found in the excavated temple were small terra-cotta [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
ashimakumari wrote:
I have a doubt.

In correlative conjunction like not only x but also y, the x part cannot be carried over to the y part.
ex : Not only Jim is crazy but also Jim is fun. // This is correct

Jim not only is crazy but also fun // this is wrong

In above sentence, the deity part is in X part of conjunction, how can you the "her" after 'or' refer back to the deity?

^ Might be a very basic thing that I am missing here, would be great if someone could explain what that is

Hi ashimakumari,

We should check whether the two elements are structurally similar. If they are, that's enough. Pronoun reference is a different concept, not related to the "carry over" concept.

Also, if we use not only... (but) (also) to join clauses, the clause after not only must be in the inverted form. So the correct way to write (ex) is (1), assuming that we can use the word fun to describe a person:

1. Not only is Jim crazy, but Jim is also fun.
or
2. Not only is Jim crazy, but he is also fun.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 583 [0]
Given Kudos: 49
Send PM
Among the objects found in the excavated temple were small terra-cotta [#permalink]
Correct Option : A
Original Sentence
Among the objects found in the excavated temple were small terra-cotta effigies left by supplicants who were either asking the goddess Bona Dea's aid in healing physical and mental ills or thanking her for such help.

Correct Idioms :
- either X or Y
- to ask for aid in doing X
Correct Parallelism :
Asking || Thanking
Aid || help

Elimination Process:
(A) in healing physical and mental ills or thanking her for such help - Correct Idiom Correct Parallelism
(B) in healing physical and mental ills and to thank her for helping - Idiom error Parallelism Error
(C) in healing physical and mental ills, and thanking her for helping - Idiom error Parallelism Error
(D) to heal physical and mental ills or to thank her for such help - Idiom error Parallelism Error
(E) to heal physical and mental ills or thanking her for such help - Parallelism Error

Originally posted by 100mitra on 19 Sep 2021, 08:13.
Last edited by 100mitra on 20 Sep 2021, 21:43, edited 1 time in total.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 583 [0]
Given Kudos: 49
Send PM
Correct option A

Most important is to know, what makes idiom correct !
Small small word, which we call Preposition, which some ignore and end up in worng answer selection
with proper knowledge, this hard question can be solved in just 30 sec

Rule 1 : Preposition follow only Noun, Pronoun and Gerund
Rule 2: Understand the usage of some helpful preposition like "to", "for", "of", "in" which are used almost max time in GMAT
Rule 3: Verb-ing and Gerund are different

Preposition "to" when indicating that there is movement from one place to another.
Preposition "for" to talk about a purpose or a reason for something
Preposition "of" when we want to show that people or things relate to other things or peopler
Preposition "In" is defined as inside an area, moving from a point outside to a point inside

Eliminate D, and E
- wrong usage of Preposition "to" with verb "heal"
- Idiom Error Either X or Y
- Parallelism Error - asking not parallel to thank
(D) to heal physical and mental ills or to thank her for such help
(E) to heal physical and mental ills or thanking her for such help

Eliminate B, and C
Parallelsim error - asking || thanking,
Preposition Error - For used for verb "helping"
Idiom Error - Either X or Y
(B) in healing physical and mental ills and to thank her for helping
(C) in healing physical and mental ills, and thanking her for helping

Correct Option
A) in healing physical and mental ills or thanking her for such help
- Healing is a Noun, correct usage of preposition "IN"
- Either X or Y - correct
- Parallelism asking || thanking
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Schools: Rotman
Send PM
Aid in is correct idiom so option a
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 183 [0]
Given Kudos: 309
Send PM
pusht wrote:
Among the objects found in the excavated temple were small terra-cotta effigies left by supplicants who were either asking the goddess Bona Dea's aid in healing physical and mental ills or thanking her for such help.

(A) in healing physical and mental ills or thanking her for such help
The meaning and parallelism is perfect therefore let us hang on to it

healing and thank not parallel , along with the usage of and is distorting the meaning therefore out

Similar reasoning as B

thank isn't the right usage therefore out

healing should be the right usage therefore out

THerefore IMO A
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
pusht wrote:

B, and E break parallelism established in A

C incorrectly uses a second "and", we should see "or" used instead

D is using the incorrect action type "to heal" is a future action, when they want aid currently

A doesn't introduce new errors, correct!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 217
GMAT 1: 600 Q46 V27
Send PM
pusht wrote:

https://www.nytimes.com/1985/04/30/science/women-s-cults-of-antiquity-the-veil-rises.html

Among the objects are small terracotta models of arms as well as wombs and eyes - left by women who were either asking the goddess's aid in healing physical and mental ills or thanking her for such help.

Hello experts,

Between A and E,
Is there any change in meaning when we say-
aid in healing vs
aid to heal??

Seems like there is, but i am not sure how?
Or its just a strict idiom elimination?

Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Expert Reply
dcoolguy wrote:
pusht wrote:

https://www.nytimes.com/1985/04/30/science/women-s-cults-of-antiquity-the-veil-rises.html

Among the objects are small terracotta models of arms as well as wombs and eyes - left by women who were either asking the goddess's aid in healing physical and mental ills or thanking her for such help.

Hello experts,

Between A and E,
Is there any change in meaning when we say-
aid in healing vs
aid to heal??

Seems like there is, but i am not sure how?
Or its just a strict idiom elimination?

Hello dcoolguy,

We hope this finds you well.

To answer your query, there is no difference in meaning between Options A and E; "aid + in" is merely the preferred construction.

We hope this helps.
All the best!
Experts' Global Team
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 207 [0]
Given Kudos: 189
Send PM
AjiteshArun GMATNinja RonPurewal - i thought "aid to" was correct.

Reason - dont we say :

Quote:
(i) USA is providing aid to Ukraine.
(ii) USA is providing aid to assist Ukraine.

How are you so sure that the above structures [Aid to Ukraine] was not what the author intended to reflect when the author wrote this SC question ?

Is it because == alll 5 answer choices have [Aid to VERB'ING], hence the above structure [(i) and (ii)] -- is not the intended meaning of the author's ?

If so, then dont we say the following --
Also,
Quote:
(iii) Do you need help in finishing your homework ?
vs
(iv) Do you need help to finish your homework ?

I dont know what this difference in meaning is -- both structure [help in finishing vs help to finish], both seem fine to me. I dont know what the difference is
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts