It is currently 23 Jan 2018, 09:57

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Among the objects found in the excavated temple were small

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
Schools: Haas '15
Re: Among the objects found in the excavated temple were small [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Jan 2016, 08:15
No.

Idiomatic?? Give me a break. That's not a real thing. That is like saying "this sentence is wrong but we're testing you on which specific way it is semi-allowably wrong."

Put this garbage question in front of any English/Literature professor and they will laugh.

I hope some GMAC person reads this and spends the rest of their day trying to remove this stupid question from all official prep material.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 28 Mar 2016, 09:32
In case anyone non-native is still wondering about the idiomatic usage of "aid", I think this might help: Both "Aid to" and "Aid in" are correct, but at the same time they are supposed to be used in different scenarios.

Aid in:
Whenever "Aid" is intended as "help in doing something", "helping hand", "giving a hand", or any equivalent, the correct usage is "Aid in". Especial emphasis in aid should be made when reading the phrase. It can usually be replaced by "help" or "support" if you change the following verb from gerund (-ing) to infinitive, and actually both replacements are more common than "aid in". The whole reason "in" is added is because without it, it sounds like you mean "rescue" or "heal".

Examples:
I would like to aid in building (gerund) the shelter -> I would like to help build (infinitive) the shelter
I'm asking you to aid in delivering packages -> I would like to help deliver packages

Aid to:
Whenever "Aid" is intended as "(physical/financial) support", "(health) care", "general help", or any equivalent, then it will probably be preceded by a verb that implies "to give", such as "provide", "give", "deliver", etc. In this case, aid is clearly a noun and often a tangible noun at that. The "to" part of "aid to" isn't very idiomatic as it stems from the preceding "to give" verb (I give X to Y, X being "Aid" in this case)

Examples:
I think giving (financial) aid to third world countries is a poor course of action
She provided aid to the wounded soldiers

As you can see both usages of "Aid" are VERY different, and are usually quite unambiguous. The only confusing part about this particular problem (OG15, SC, 109) is that "for" is not used, as most people would expect: "(...) who were either asking [for] the goddess Bona Dea’s aid in healing (...)".

"Aid to" in this particular question is also incorrect because it can only mean "asking the goddess Bona Dea's aid in order to heal (...)". That would change the meaning of the sentence to either mean "aid" as in physical aid (which doesn't make sense), or to express that the supplicants were asking the goddess for help in doing something (unspecified) in order to heal the ills, which doesn't make sense as well.

I hope this helps
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 14 Jun 2016, 12:16
Among the objects found in the excavated temple were small terra-cotta effigies left by supplicants who were either asking the goddess Bona Dea’s aid in healing physical and mental ills or thanking her for such help.

(A) in healing physical and mental ills or thanking her for such help
(B) in healing physical and mental ills and to thank her for helping
(C) in healing physical and mental ills, and thanking her for helping
(D) to heal physical and mental ills or to thank her for such help
(E) to heal physical and mental ills or thanking her for such help

WHY USE OF TO HEAL IS WRONG... ????
Expert Post
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
G

Show Tags

New post 14 Jun 2016, 16:26
rahsin wrote:
Among the objects found in the excavated temple were small terra-cotta effigies left by supplicants who were either asking the goddess Bona Dea’s aid in healing physical and mental ills or thanking her for such help.

WHY USE OF TO HEAL IS WRONG... ????

Dear rahsin,

My friend, please do not start a new post for a question that has already been posted multiple times. Any SC in the OG is already somewhere on GMAT Club. Always search first, and add your question to an existing thread, if the discussion there doesn't already answer your question.

What you are asking is an idiom question. Here are some free GMAT Idiom Flashcards.

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire. — William Butler Yeats (1865 – 1939)

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 23 Jul 2016, 22:09
hi,
May i ask something expect the"aid"?
In the official explanation, for B, it says" And is incorrect following either, and its use changes the meaning of the sentence; to thank is not parallel to asking; for helping is awkward."
#1 I confuse about the meaning change,could someone help me to figure it out?
#2 Why "for helping" is awkward?
THANKS IN ADVANCE !
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
Affiliations: NA
GMAT 1: 590 Q50 V21
GMAT 2: 600 Q48 V25
GMAT 3: 730 Q51 V37
GPA: 3.5

Show Tags

New post 04 Aug 2016, 10:54
WZP wrote:
hi,
May i ask something expect the"aid"?
In the official explanation, for B, it says" And is incorrect following either, and its use changes the meaning of the sentence; to thank is not parallel to asking; for helping is awkward."
#1 I confuse about the meaning change,could someone help me to figure it out?
#2 Why "for helping" is awkward?
THANKS IN ADVANCE !

Hi,
The phrase 'thanking her for helping' doesn't convey complete or intending meaning , thanked her for helping what? whereas other phrase ' thanking her for such help' completes the meaning ( she thanked her for aid in healing ).

#If you like my post , please encourage me by giving Kudos :)

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
B
GMAT ToolKit User
Among the objects found in the excavated temple were small [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Sep 2016, 08:20
pusht wrote:
Among the objects found in the excavated temple were small terra-cotta effigies left by supplicants who were either asking the goddess Bona Dea's aid in healing physical and mental ills or thanking her for such help.

Among the objects found in the excavated temple were small terra-cotta effigies left by supplicants who were either asking the goddess Bona Dea's aid in healing physical and mental ills or thanking her for such help.

(B) in healing physical and mental ills and to thank her for helping>>Parallelism is not ok.
(C) in healing physical and mental ills, and thanking her for helping>>parallelism is not ok.
(D) to heal physical and mental ills or to thank her for such help>>parallelism is not ok.
(E) to heal physical and mental ills or thanking her for such help>> it seems to me that 'to heal' (infinitive) is ok. BUT, why 'in healing' is ok??
Thanks...

“The heights by great men reached and kept were not attained in sudden flight but, they while their companions slept, they were toiling upwards in the night.”
― Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Board of Directors
V
Concentration: Healthcare, Technology
GPA: 3.65
WE: Information Technology (Health Care)
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 12 Sep 2016, 08:28
iMyself wrote:
pusht wrote:

(B) in healing physical and mental ills and to thank her for helping>>Parallelism is not ok.
(C) in healing physical and mental ills, and thanking her for helping>>parallelism is not ok.
(D) to heal physical and mental ills or to thank her for such help>>parallelism is not ok.
(E) to heal physical and mental ills or thanking her for such help>> it seems to me that 'to heal' (infinitive) is ok. BUT, why 'in healing' is ok??
Thanks...

Look for a difference between "aid to" and "aid in".

You will get your answer. :-D

How I improved from V21 to V40! ?

How to use this forum in THE BEST way?

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
B
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 12 Sep 2016, 08:35
abhimahna wrote:
iMyself wrote:

Thanks...

There is no phrase in Cambridge dictionary like 'aid in' brother.
Attachments

aid to.PNG
aid to.PNG [ 20.99 KiB | Viewed 553 times ]

“The heights by great men reached and kept were not attained in sudden flight but, they while their companions slept, they were toiling upwards in the night.”
― Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Board of Directors
V
Concentration: Healthcare, Technology
GPA: 3.65
WE: Information Technology (Health Care)
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 12 Sep 2016, 08:42
iMyself wrote:
abhimahna wrote:
iMyself wrote:

Thanks...

There is no phrase in Cambridge dictionary like 'aid in' brother.

I thought you would be looking for the idiomatic usage.

Anyways, I hope the below link might help you to some extent. :-D

http://magoosh.com/gmat/2013/gmat-prepo ... in-and-by/

How I improved from V21 to V40! ?

How to use this forum in THE BEST way?

Expert Post
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
G
Among the objects found in the excavated temple were small [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Sep 2016, 13:22
iMyself wrote:

Thanks...

iMyself wrote:
There is no phrase in Cambridge dictionary like 'aid in' brother

Dear iMyself,

I'm happy to respond. :-)

My friend, this is a matter of idioms. Dictionaries may list some of more typical idioms for a particular word, but there is no way that a dictionary could list every possible idiom that could accompany a word. The absence of a possible idiom from a dictionary entry establishes nothing.

The construction with "aid" + [infinitive] is awkward.
asking the goddess Bona Dea's aid to heal physical and mental ills ...
This is not "wrong," but it sounds "off." Presumably, the infinitive used here would be an infinitive of purpose, but there is something logically suspect about this. An infinitive of purpose is typically not how we express the intent of a request we make of someone. Again, this is not B/W wrong, but it is palpably "off" in a way that is immediately obvious to a well-spoken native speaker.

By contrast, the construction with "in" is idiomatically correct.
asking the goddess Bona Dea's aid in healing physical and mental ills
To a native ear, this strikes a note of rightness that the other lacks. This is a valid idiom.

I realize that this is the hardest thing for folks learning English as a second language to appreciate, that intuitive sense of "rightness" about the language. I sincerely say that anyone who, starting from another language, has gotten up to GMAT level in English has my complete respect: that is a tremendous achievement in and of itself. At the same time, it takes tremendous additional effort for a non-native speaker who is already highly competent in English to build this deep intuitive sense of "rightness," and few students have the stamina or the patience for such work. The difference maker is the habit of reading, which over times builds intuition. See:
How to Improve Your GMAT Verbal Score

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire. — William Butler Yeats (1865 – 1939)

Manager
Manager
S
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Copenhagen, ESMT"19
GPA: 3.75
WE: Consulting (Energy and Utilities)
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: Among the objects found in the excavated temple were small terra-cotta [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Feb 2017, 11:01
Aid to + [ noun]

Aid in + [gerund ]
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V33
GMAT 2: 700 Q50 V33
GPA: 4
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Among the objects found in the excavated temple were small terra-cotta [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Mar 2017, 07:19
Aid in healing ... and parallel structure - either asking.... or thanking..... IMO its A
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
WE: Investment Banking (Venture Capital)

Show Tags

New post 19 Mar 2017, 15:21
there seems to be a lot of confusion about "aid in" vs "aid to"...

to set this straight once and for all, let me see if i understand the difference.

- aid to = requires a recipient (ex: i would like to give aid to the hurricane katrina relief effort)
- aid in = describing something (ex: i would like to help Sarah by offering my aid in GMAT preparation)

am i understanding this correctly?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S
Concentration: Finance, International Business
Schools: IIMB
GMAT 1: 550 Q42 V28
GPA: 3.96
WE: Human Resources (Retail Banking)

Show Tags

New post 20 Mar 2017, 22:14
i marked E and after searching i get through this post of mike .

Idioms involving “aid”

This is a very tricky little word. When “aid” is used as a verb, the subject is the person providing help, the direct object is the person helped, and an “in” preposition can be used with a gerund to indicate the activity in which help was offered.

5) US Marshalls aided James Meredith in attending the University of Mississippi.

When “aid” is used as a noun, the recipients of the help can be objects of either “to” or “for” (“aid to refugees”, “aid for victims of the disaster”). Again, the “in” preposition is followed by a gerund and denotes the activity in which help is provided.

6) His aid in stuffing the envelopes was invaluable.

7) The agency’s aid in tracking down “deadbeat dads” should not be underestimated.

The noun “aid” can be followed by a “to” preposition to indicate a recipient, but it is a mistake to follow “aid” with an infinitive. This is a classic idiom-mistake on the GMAT.

hope it helps
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
WE: Investment Banking (Venture Capital)

Show Tags

New post 23 Mar 2017, 15:46
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Few themes here:

- Parallelism (either/or): "either asking" NON-UNDERLINED, so "or thanking".
--> Elim B, D

- Parallelism (asking and thanking -- should be same tense)
--> Elim E

- Proper Idiom: Either/Or
--> Elim B, C

Answer clearly A

Kudos please if you found this helpful :)
Manager
Manager
B
GMAT 1: 710 Q45 V41
GMAT 2: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.76
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 17 May 2017, 18:06
pusht wrote:

A Correct.
B "To thank" is not parallel with "asking."
C "Either...and" is not idiomatic.
D "To heal" is not parallel with "asking."
E "To heal" is not parallel with "asking."
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Operations, Leadership

Show Tags

New post 18 May 2017, 02:29
This post received
KUDOS
There is a section on "aid" in this. This might be helpful in the discussion going on.

https://magoosh.com/gmat/2013/gmat-prep ... in-and-by/
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 18 May 2017, 02:35
Can someone explain the difference between aid to and aid in?
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Operations, Leadership

Show Tags

New post 18 May 2017, 03:08
Sunayana.reddy wrote:
Can someone explain the difference between aid to and aid in?

go through this

https://magoosh.com/gmat/2013/gmat-prep ... in-and-by/
Re: Among the objects found in the excavated temple were small   [#permalink] 18 May 2017, 03:08

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4   5   6    Next  [ 112 posts ] 

Among the objects found in the excavated temple were small

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap