Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 00:18 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 00:18

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5095 [16]
Given Kudos: 289
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618867 [6]
Given Kudos: 81588
Send PM
General Discussion
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 3119 [1]
Given Kudos: 116
Concentration: Strategy
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 601 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
WE:Investment Banking (Venture Capital)
Send PM
Amy is organizing her bookshelves and finds that she has [#permalink]
Kudos
This looks like a pattern question. i tried to just understand what they were asking and picked out some letters to test:

if 1 letter, only allowed 1 code (i.e. A)

if 2 letters, allowed 3 codes (i.e. A, B, AB)

if 3 letters, allowed 6 codes (i.e. A, B, C, AB, AC, BC)

if 4 letters, allowed 10 codes (i.e. A, B, C, D, AB, AC, AD, BC, BD, CD)

kudos if helpful :)
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 398 [1]
Given Kudos: 20
Send PM
Re: Amy is organizing her bookshelves and finds that she has 10 different [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Cinematiccuisine wrote:
Amy is organizing her bookshelves and finds that she has 10 different types of books. She then codes each book with either a single letter or a pair of two different letters. If each type of book is uniquely represented by either a single letter or pair of letters, what is the smallest number of letters Amy will need to create the codes for all 10 types of books? (Assume the order of letters in a pair does not matter.)

A) 3
B) 4
C) 5
F) 10
E) 20

Questions:
1) How do i rephrase this question? The Kaplan answer is not so easy to understand ( at least for me)
2) without getting into too many calculations, how can i solve this?

Thank you for your help.

Hi Cinematiccuisine!

Happy to help :-)

Since the numbers we're dealing with here are small, it is probably easiest to just solve this manually, at first, at least to understand what the question is asking about. Amy is labeling each type of book with either one or two letters. If she is using just one letter, this means there is only one code she can use:

A

If she is using two letters, then there are three:

A
B
AB

We are told that the order of the letters doesn't matter, so we don't have to worry about counting AB and BA separately. Now, with three letters, we have all of the above combinations, plus three more:

C
AC
BC

That's six total. If we add one more, then we have those six plus four more:

D
AD
BD
CD

And that give us 10 possible codes, which is what the question is asking for :-) So the answer is 4.

Now, if the number was much bigger, then we might need to create a formula to solve this. The easiest way to do that is to just notice the pattern. Every time we add a new letter, we get one more code (just that letter), plus the number of letters that we already have, which create the combinations of mixed letters (like AD, BD, CD). So adding C gave us 3 more codes, adding D gives us 4 more codes, adding E gives us 5 more codes, and so on. We can use that pattern to determine the number of possible codes at pretty much any step :-)

We can write this out in terms of combinations, too. If N is the number of letters that we're using, then the number of codes can be written as:

N + NC2

So with four letters, we get 4 + 4C2 = 10 different codes.

I hope that helps! :-)
-Carolyn
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31898 [1]
Given Kudos: 290
Send PM
Amy is organizing her bookshelves and finds that she has 10 different [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Cinematiccuisine wrote:
Amy is organizing her bookshelves and finds that she has 10 different types of books. She then codes each book with either a single letter or a pair of two different letters. If each type of book is uniquely represented by either a single letter or pair of letters, what is the smallest number of letters Amy will need to create the codes for all 10 types of books? (Assume the order of letters in a pair does not matter.)

A) 3
B) 4
C) 5
F) 10
E) 20

Questions:
1) How do i rephrase this question? The Kaplan answer is not so easy to understand ( at least for me)

Thank you for your help.

Please put the first few words as the topic name.

What it means?
10 books have to be given a code as a single letter such as A, B etc or as a double letter such as AB, BA, AC etc. AB and BA will be different as both are different as code

Solution
Let the number of letters required is n,
So single digits will be n
Two digits will be nC2........
.we are not multiplying with 2! because order does not matter.
So \(n+nC2\geq{10}\)........\(n+\frac{n!}{(n-2)!2!}\geq{10}........n+n(n-1)/2\geq{10}...............(2n+n^2-n}\geq{20}............n(n+1)\geq{20}.........n(n+1)\geq{4*5}..\)
So minimum value = 4

B
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22049 [1]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Re: Amy is organizing her bookshelves and finds that she has [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
goodyear2013 wrote:

A) 3
B) 4
C) 5
D) 10
E) 20

Solution:

Since there are only 10 books, the number of colors needed is even fewer. Let’s check the answer choices starting with 3.

If there are 3 colors, the number of single-color codes is 3 and the number of codes that are pairs of two different colors is 3C2 = (3 x 2)/2 = 3. Therefore, if there are 5 colors, the total number of codes can be formed is 3 + 3 = 6. However, this is not sufficient since there are 10 books.

If there are 4 colors, the number of single-color codes is 4 and the number of codes that are pairs of two different colors is 4C2 = (4 x 3)/2 = 6. Therefore, if there are 4 colors, the total number of codes can be formed is 4 + 6 = 10. We see that this is sufficient since there are exactly 10 books.

Answer: B
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
I wrote all possible answer choices down:
A
AB (since Order does not matter we will not take BA into account)
B
CA
CB
C
DA
DB
DC
D
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 3119 [0]
Given Kudos: 116
Concentration: Strategy
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Fairly straightforward question. No reason for it to not be "GMAT style"

a) Three letters give : 3 + 3C2 = 3 + 3 = 6

b) Four letters give : 4 + 4C2 = 4 + 12 = 16

So, answer is B
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
MacFauz wrote:
Fairly straightforward question. No reason for it to not be "GMAT style"

a) Three letters give : 3 + 3P2 = 3 + 6 = 9
So, we will need more than 3
So, answer is B

Hello - Just a quick thing, the question says "the order of the letter does not matter", so we should be using combinations and permutations.

-----------------------
Kudos, if my post helped
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [0]
Given Kudos: 308
Send PM
Amy is organizing her bookshelves and finds that she has [#permalink]
three letters could be enough for uniquely naming 9 books i.e (3! *3) and remaining 1 could be named by taking one more letter under consideration.
Least total letters would be 10
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 120 [0]
Given Kudos: 64
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Amy is organizing her bookshelves and finds that she has 10 different [#permalink]

A) 3
B) 4
C) 5
F) 10
E) 20

Questions:

Thank you for your help.

Originally posted by Cinematiccuisine on 04 Sep 2018, 16:46.
Last edited by chetan2u on 04 Sep 2018, 20:11, edited 1 time in total.
Updated topic name
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618867 [0]
Given Kudos: 81588
Send PM
Expert Reply
Cinematiccuisine wrote:

A) 3
B) 4
C) 5
F) 10
E) 20

Questions:

Thank you for your help.

Merging topics.

Please follow the rules when posting a question: https://gmatclub.com/forum/rules-for-po ... 33935.html
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 65 [0]
Given Kudos: 171
GMAT 1: 640 Q49 V28
GMAT 2: 700 Q50 V35
GMAT 3: 680 Q47 V36
GPA: 3.84
Send PM
The question asks what is the smallest number of letters required to create at least 10 unique codes. Because the question told us that the books are numbered by EITHER a single letter or 2 different letters, and we need to find the least number of letters to create 10 codes, we can safely look into the situation in which all books are numbered by 2 different letters.

Let's call "n" is the number of letters we need to find, then we have

n x n(-1) >= 10
4 x 3 =12 -> MORE than 10 -> keep this
3 x 2 = 6 -> LESS than 10 -> discard
5 x 4 = 20 -> MORE than 10 -> but n=5 < 4 -> we pick the n=4
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39
GMAT 2: 730 Q49 V39
Send PM
For these type of questions, let us assume that n distinct letters/digits are required.

then for second code of two digits numbers can be selected as nC2

thus we get total number of options :
10 = n+ nC2
=> 2n + n(n-1) = 20
=> n^2-n-20=0
=> (n-5)(n+4)=0
or n=5 as n cannot be negative.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4096 [0]
Given Kudos: 242
Concentration: Sustainability, Marketing
GMAT Focus 1:
545 Q79 V79 DI73
GPA: 4
WE:Marketing (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
total letters required ;
a,b,c,d; 4
pair can be made
ab,ac,ad,bc,bd,cd,a,b,c,d
IMO B

goodyear2013 wrote:

A) 3
B) 4
C) 5
D) 10
E) 20

OE:
The question asks for the smallest value of n, such that (n + nC2) = 10 (n represents the number of letters. In this equation, n by itself is for single-letter codes and nC2 is for two-letter codes).

At this point, you'd need to pick numbers, since there's really no easy way to solve nC2 = (10 – n) without a calculator.
Looking at the answer choices, you can eliminate 10 and 20, so you can quickly narrow down the values you need to test. (i.e. (10 – n) suggests n can not be greater than 10.)

As a general rule, whenever you're asked for the smallest value that satisfies a condition, start by testing the smallest number in the answers. Conversely, if you're asked for the largest value, start with the greatest answer.
Plug-in n=4 to (n + nC2) = (4 + 4C2) = 4 + (4x3 /2) = (4 + 6) = 10

Hi, I want to know whether this reverse combination calculation is the GMAT style questions, please.
I have not seen one in the Official question.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 201 [0]
Given Kudos: 332
Send PM
Answer is B.

A
B
AB
C
AC
BC
BA
CA
CB
D
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 821 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
Math Expert
92900 posts
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts