Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 14:54 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 14:54

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1139 [44]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618585 [3]
Given Kudos: 81563
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 71 [1]
Given Kudos: 3
 Q44  V44
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: An advertisement states: Like Danaxil, all headache pills can stop you [#permalink]
The ad says "Danaxil is for you-no headache pill stops pain more quickly" i.e its about how quickly Danaxil works on the headache pain.
But Option C is talking about headache not the headache pain. How quickly it stops headache is not mentioned anywhere in the passage I believe.
Current Student
Status:He came. He saw. He conquered. -- Going to Business School -- Corruptus in Extremis
Own Kudos [?]: 5734 [1]
Given Kudos: 3054
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Send PM
Re: An advertisement states: Like Danaxil, all headache pills can stop you [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Ankita5330 wrote:
The ad says "Danaxil is for you-no headache pill stops pain more quickly" i.e its about how quickly Danaxil works on the headache pain.
But Option C is talking about headache not the headache pain. How quickly it stops headache is not mentioned anywhere in the passage I believe.

Ankita5330, see here: https://forum.powerscore.com/lsat/viewtopic.php?t=8679

It does a great job explaining it. I can go further if you still have questions.

But, quickly, a headache is pain. If you relieve the pain, the headache is gone. In this case, although a great catch by you, you can see that the two are the same. Though in most cases this is probably not the case! Pain and injury are not the same thing.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 82
Send PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uywHnsMelJg&list=PLFMhoXoxQ4OjtTb1YdzagJ3LK7ObKOa_L&index=10

Go to 15:00, Thank me later, best explanation as well as follow his channels.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Send PM
Question Type: Interference

Features of correct choice: If the details in the passage are all true, then the correct choice should also be true in all the scenarios.

The answer should be C.

Why: Because no other pill relieves the pain more quickly than the pill D. Thus, all the pills would relieve the pain either as quickly as the pill D or less quickly than the pill D. Hence, anyone who takes the pill D, would get relieved at least as quickly as the person who takes the pill from the other competitor.

Posted from my mobile device
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 201 [0]
Given Kudos: 332
Send PM
"Danaxil is for you — no headache pill stops pain more quickly" Is the key part of the passage. I still don't think the answer is C after seeing the OE.

Here is the OE:
"The advertisement doesn’t say that Danaxil stops headache pain more quickly than any other medicine, just that no other medication is faster."

That is a contradiction if I have ever seen one. D stops pain more quickly than any other medicine implies that nothing else is faster. Do I have some blinders on?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 263 [0]
Given Kudos: 84
GMAT 1: 650 Q46 V34
GMAT 2: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 2.58
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
A, D and E are easy eliminations. The choice was between B and C. Notice the language of the passage:-

"no headache pill stops pain more quickly"

The advertisement is not saying Danaxil is the fastest. It is infact saying no one is quicker. Therefore, competing pills can be as fast as Danaxil in relieving pain but cannot be faster. With that in mind, lets look at B and C:-

(B) Evelyn’s headache pain will be relieved more quickly than Jane’s. -- Could be and could not be. A competing pill can be as fast as Danaxil and the advertisement would still hold but the inference in this answer choice would not. Eliminate.

(C) Evelyn’s headache will be relieved at least as quickly as Jane’s. -- True. Danaxil would be "as fast as" any other competing pill. Correct choice.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 301 [0]
Given Kudos: 154
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V38
WE:Accounting (Accounting)
Send PM
CEdward wrote:
"Danaxil is for you — no headache pill stops pain more quickly" Is the key part of the passage. I still don't think the answer is C after seeing the OE.

Here is the OE:
"The advertisement doesn’t say that Danaxil stops headache pain more quickly than any other medicine, just that no other medication is faster."

That is a contradiction if I have ever seen one. D stops pain more quickly than any other medicine implies that nothing else is faster. Do I have some blinders on?

Hey CEdward, we seem to be practicing the same questions.

Notice the 2 highlighted portions above. Let's assume the speed of other pills to be O and the speed of Danaxil to be D. The question is basically saying -

O is less that or equal to D. You have mistakenly changed that to D is greater than O. They're just saying that nobody is faster than Danaxil, not that Danaxil is the fastest. It is entirely possible that some other medicine works at the same speed as Danaxil does, but no medicine will work faster.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 264 [0]
Given Kudos: 161
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
Send PM
tenaman10 wrote:
An advertisement states: Like Danaxil, all headache pills can stop your headache. But when you are in pain, you want relief right away. Danaxil is for you — no headache pill stops pain more quickly. Evelyn and Jane are each suffering from a headache. Suppose Evelyn takes Danaxil and Jane takes its leading competitor.

Which one of the following can be properly concluded from the claims in the advertisement?

(A) Evelyn’s headache pain will be relieved, but Jane’s will not.
(B) Evelyn’s headache pain will be relieved more quickly than Jane’s.
(C) Evelyn’s headache will be relieved at least as quickly as Jane’s.
(D) Jane’s headache pain will be relieved at the same time as is Evelyn’s.
(E) Jane will be taking Danaxil for relief from headache pain.

Between B and C, notice that the passage says that "no headache pill stops pain more quickly than Danaxil does" - this means other pills can stop the pain either as quickly as Danaxil or slower than Danaxil.
Option B is incorrect because it says, in a way, that Danaxil will cure the pain quicker than other pill, a statement that may not be true as per the passage.

C is the correct option.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 200 [0]
Given Kudos: 217
Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
GMAT 1: 600 Q44 V28
GPA: 3.56
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
An advertisement states: Like Danaxil, all headache pills can stop you [#permalink]
Ankita5330 wrote:

On such questions what we interpret quickly is
NOT greater then means LESS THAN.

However, we forget that
NOT greater THAN means LESS THAN or EQUAL TO.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1812 [0]
Given Kudos: 763
WE:Sales (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
An advertisement states: Like Danaxil, all headache pills can stop your headache. But when you are in pain, you want relief right away. Danaxil is for you — no headache pill stops pain more quickly. Evelyn and Jane are each suffering from a headache. Suppose Evelyn takes Danaxil and Jane takes its leading competitor.

Which one of the following can be properly concluded from the claims in the advertisement?

(A) Evelyn’s headache pain will be relieved, but Jane’s will not. - WRONG. It will be relieved.
(B) Evelyn’s headache pain will be relieved more quickly than Jane’s. - WRONG. If competitor's pill no headache pill than pain relieve might take similar time.
(C) Evelyn’s headache will be relieved at least as quickly as Jane’s. - CORRECT. At least is correct way to put up things.
(D) Jane’s headache pain will be relieved at the same time as is Evelyn’s. - WRONG. Not necessary since Jane's pill may or may not heal at the same time.
(E) Jane will be taking Danaxil for relief from headache pain. - WRONG. Discredits the passage itself.

Answer C.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts