Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 11:03 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 11:03

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2207 [9]
Given Kudos: 1665
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GPA: 3.97
WE:Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42102 [4]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
McCombs School Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 354 [4]
Given Kudos: 151
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V33
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 40 [2]
Given Kudos: 32
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Send PM
An analysis published online indicates that global warming will cause [#permalink]
Kudos
JHWU wrote:
can anyone shed some light on "these"? what is it referring to?

First we identify all the nouns in the sentence:
- An analysis
- global warming
- more deaths
- in summer
- higher temperatures

The intended antecedent of "these" is pretty clear:
- " ... these will not be offset by less death ..."

>> The only noun that can be "offset by less death" is "more deaths"
>> I would prefer the sentence to use "more number of deaths" and have "these" refer to "number of deaths" instead, but we get what we get

We want to check if "more deaths" as the antecedent of "these" is ambiguous in the sentences:
- "these" is plural, so you can safely remove all the singular nouns

>> Not "An analysis", Not "online", Not "global warming", Not "in summer" <-- Also pronouns cannot refer object of preposition iirc
>> Could be "more deaths" or "higher temperatures"

To reduce ambiguity, we want "these" to be closer to "more deaths" than to "higher temperatures", but you will notice we don't have such an option choice to choose from.
- (E) "... more deaths in summer because of higher temperatures but these..."
- You will notice that the above is actually a noun phrase (no verbs in it)
- "in summer" modifies "more deaths"
- "because of higher temperatures" modifies "more deaths"

>> in above case, the "these" can refer to "more deaths"
>> Also notice that there is almost no way to put the "because of higher temperatures" modifier before "more deaths"
>> It is also preferred to have (more deaths in summer) vs (fewer deaths in winter), so we cannot use (more deaths because of higher temperature in summer)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 128 [2]
Given Kudos: 304
GMAT 1: 640 Q47 V30
Send PM
An analysis published online indicates that global warming will cause [#permalink]
Kudos
Hello VeritasKarishma GMATNinja daagh

Is it a good practice to eliminate an answer choice such as, in this case, answer option B, C, and D, primarily on the basis of the sentence structure?
I eliminated B,C and D because in a "Cause and Effect" type of sentence a Cause (global warming) must be followed by an effect(more deaths), not the other way around.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 40 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
An analysis published online indicates that global warming will cause more deaths in summer due to higher temperatures, however, these will not be offset by less deaths in milder winters.

A. global warming will cause more deaths in summer due to higher temperatures, however, these will not be offset by less deaths in milder winters

B. more deaths will be caused by global warming in summer due to higher temperatures but these will not be offset by less deaths in milder winters

C. more deaths will be caused by global warming in summer due to higher temperatures; however, these will not be offset by fewer deaths in milder winters

D. more deaths will be caused by global warming in summer because of higher temperatures and these will not be offset by fewer deaths in milder winters

E. global warming will cause more deaths in summer because of higher temperatures but these will not be offset by fewer deaths in milder winters

---

A / B can be eliminated because "less death" is incorrect. "Death" is not countable and should be used with "fewer" instead.

D is eliminated because of the use of "and". The sentence is not incorrect in and of itself, but you can find "but" or "however" in all the other options. This highly suggests some comparison is in order. Also, the use of "X and Y" requires both X and Y to be parallel - we have a "(passive) and (active)" construct here which is not parallel.

C is eliminated not because it is incorrect, but we just have a better option available. We also have the passive-active not parallel problem we see in option D, though im not entirely sure if the use of "however" requires parallelism.

E is the best option here - GW will cause (more deaths in summer) ... but the deaths will not be offset by (fewer deaths in winters)

Note:
Upon further inspection, I've also noticed that it is clearer for "in summer" to modify "deaths" (i.e. more deaths in summer) than for it is to modify "Global Warming" (i.e. Global Warming in summer). Can't really explain why.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 40 [1]
Send PM
Re: An analysis published online indicates that global warming will cause [#permalink]
Kudos
ShreyKapil08 wrote:
daagh wrote:
Shrey wrote

Thank you for your reply.

I don't remember the source where I read this, but I have written this in my notes with an example:
Marry made a beautiful bouquet, winning accolades from everyone.
Cause then Effect

Here the Ing modifier is the result and the clause it modifies is the cause. Now here, clearly we can not switch the position, can we ?

Am I mixing up to different concepts ?

Sorry to jump in here, but i recall seeing your example and i found the source:
https://gmatclub.com/forum/usage-of-ver ... 35220.html

If i recall correctly, there is a "rule" somewhere that states that a clause beginning with a "comma-verb-ing" modifier will either (1) give more information on the preceding clause, or (2) give the result of the preceding clause. I'm not completely sure this rule is true - just wanted to let you know that you did not lose your mind while studying for GMAT!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [1]
Given Kudos: 100
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GMAT 2: 630 Q51 V23
GPA: 4
Send PM
Re: An analysis published online indicates that global warming will cause [#permalink]
Kudos
Hi Experts,

As far as I know, due to is always followed by Noun and because of is followed by Clause. But how come because of is correct here even though it is followed by Noun?

Also, is there any other reason why option C is incorrect?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 103 [1]
Given Kudos: 54
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V37
Send PM
Kudos
Query--

daagh
@ expers

In E , Isn't "But " starting a new independent clause. Why we are not using it as FANBOY?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Send PM
option a ) uses less for a countable noun - deaths
option b) Same as option A
option c) uses "however" to connect but it uses ";" making the X "however " Y unparallel.
option d) uses "and" to connect and fails to show contrast which was intended in the original sentence.
option e) uses "but" and keeps the structure X "but" Y parallel.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 128 [0]
Given Kudos: 304
GMAT 1: 640 Q47 V30
Send PM
daagh wrote:
Shrey wrote
Quote:
Is it a good practice to eliminate an answer choice such as, in this case, answer option B, C, and D, primarily on the basis of the sentence structure?
I eliminated B, C, and D because in a "Cause and Effect" type of sentence a Cause (global warming) must be followed by an effect (more deaths), not the other way around.

Never, never. I do not think there is any such outlandish rule at all. Look at the following sentences

I had to wear double sweaters because the weather was too cold. --- Effect then cause.
Because the weather was too cold, I had to wear two sweaters – cause then effect

I am not attending the office today since I am having a terrible headache --- effect then cause
Since I am having a terrible headache today, I am not attending the office. --- Cause then effect

GMAT examples – All are ‘effect’ first and then ‘cause’ structures
1. In late 1997, the chambers inside the pyramid of the Pharaoh Menkaure at Giza were closed to visitors for cleaning and repair because moisture exhaled by tourists had raised the humidity within them to such levels that salt from the stone was crystallizing and fungus was growing on the walls.

2. Almost like clones in their similarity to one another, members of the cheetah species are especially vulnerable to disease because of their homogeneity

3. Nobody knows exactly how many languages there are in the world, partly because of the difficulty of distinguishing between a language and the sub-languages or dialects within it, but those who have tried to count typically have found about five thousand.

4. TransWorld Entertainment Corporation, which owns the Record Town and Saturday Matinee retail chains, announced it was closing up to one-fourth of its stores because of poor sales

5. Many entomologists say that campaigns to eradicate the fire ant in the United States have failed because the chemicals that were used were effective only in wiping out the ant's natural enemies thus making it easier for the ant to spread.

HTH

Thank you for your reply.

I don't remember the source where I read this, but I have written this in my notes with an example:
Marry made a beautiful bouquet, winning accolades from everyone.
Cause then Effect

Here the Ing modifier is the result and the clause it modifies is the cause. Now here, clearly we can not switch the position, can we ?

Am I mixing up to different concepts ?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42102 [0]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
shrey

Yes, I am afraid you are getting mixed up. Modifiers are not the only kind of cause and effect. You cannot make a general English rule based on modifiers.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
NunuBot wrote:
JHWU wrote:

First we identify all the nouns in the sentence:
- An analysis
- global warming
- more deaths
- in summer
- higher temperatures

The intended antecedent of "these" is pretty clear:
- " ... these will not be offset by less death ..."

>> The only noun that can be "offset by less death" is "more deaths"
>> I would prefer the sentence to use "more number of deaths" and have "these" refer to "number of deaths" instead, but we get what we get

We want to check if "more deaths" as the antecedent of "these" is ambiguous in the sentences:
- "these" is plural, so you can safely remove all the singular nouns

>> Not "An analysis", Not "online", Not "global warming", Not "in summer" <-- Also pronouns cannot refer object of preposition iirc
>> Could be "more deaths" or "higher temperatures"

To reduce ambiguity, we want "these" to be closer to "more deaths" than to "higher temperatures", but you will notice we don't have such an option choice to choose from.
- (E) "... more deaths in summer because of higher temperatures but these..."
- You will notice that the above is actually a noun phrase (no verbs in it)
- "in summer" modifies "more deaths"
- "because of higher temperatures" modifies "more deaths"

>> in above case, the "these" can refer to "more deaths"
>> Also notice that there is almost no way to put the "because of higher temperatures" modifier before "more deaths"
>> It is also preferred to have (more deaths in summer) vs (fewer deaths in winter), so we cannot use (more deaths because of higher temperature in summer)

Thank you! You are right!

"these" refers to death in summer. meaning the number of deaths in summer will not be offset by the (fewer) number of deaths in milder winter.

C is wrong because "in summer" should modify "death" instead of "global warming". modifier issue.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 40 [0]
Send PM
Quote:
Thank you! You are right!

"these" refers to death in summer. meaning the number of deaths in summer will not be offset by the (fewer) number of deaths in milder winter.

C is wrong because "in summer" should modify "death" instead of "global warming". modifier issue.

Personally, I wouldn't exactly classify this as a modifier issue.

It IS possible to compare (effects of global warming in summer) v (effects of global warming in winter). I wouldn't reject this option even with the ommission of "effects of", because global warming is a phenomenon, and without context, a phenomenon in summer is valid.

I would classify this as a parallelism issue.

I classify modifier issue as one where (1) a modifier modifies the wrong thing, making the sentence illogical, or (2) a modifier can modify more than one thing, making the sentence ambiguous. (Global warming in summer) is neither wrong nor ambiguous.

It's a subtle difference in classification, but for me a modifier issue should cause some problems to the sentence in the context of the sentence, and never relative to OA.

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
Own Kudos [?]: 7624 [1]
Given Kudos: 215
Send PM