It is currently 15 Dec 2017, 04:27

Decision(s) Day!:

CHAT Rooms | Wharton R1 | Stanford R1 | Tuck R1 | Ross R1 | Haas R1 | UCLA R1

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

An appeal has been made by the managers of a department

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

1 KUDOS received
BSchool Forum Moderator

Kudos [?]: 743 [1], given: 44

Concentration: International Business, Marketing
GMAT Date: 06-06-2014
GPA: 3.07
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
An appeal has been made by the managers of a department [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Jul 2014, 06:36
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

65% (hard)

Question Stats:

67% (02:20) correct 33% (02:07) wrong based on 426 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

This is my new project: Renew Old Thread => Back to basic => Just try It and give your reasoning

An appeal has been made by the managers of a department store to its marketing director, citing a need for a marketing approach that instead of focusing on increasing brand awareness, will advertise particular products and services offered by various departments separately. The director responded by stating that almost all industry professionals firmly believe that brand awareness is directly linked to the increase in sales experienced by department stores. Even if the effect of brand awareness and separate department advertisements have the same influence on the sales performance of the store, the company should remain with a brand awareness strategy since because advertising costs are calculated per portion of media, brand awareness strategies are cheaper than departmental advertisements.
In the argument given, the two portions in boldface play which of the following roles?

A) The first is evidence offered in support of the argument's position; the second is additional data presented as the basis for an explanation of that position.
B) The first is support for an objection that has been raised against the position taken by the argument; the second is data that has been presented to further contradict that position.
C) The first is a judgment that has been presented in support of an objection; the second is data supporting an explanation that contradicts that objection.
D) The first is a point of view expressed to offer support to the argument's position; the second is evidence that calls that position into question.
E) The first is a judgment presented in support of the argument's conclusion; the second is factual information justifying the preference expressed in that conclusion.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Rules for posting in verbal gmat forum, read it before posting anything in verbal forum
Giving me + 1 kudos if my post is valuable with you :)

The more you like my post, the more you share to other's need

CR: Focus of the Week: Must be True Question

Kudos [?]: 743 [1], given: 44

Non-Human User

Kudos [?]: 277 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: An appeal has been made by the managers of a department [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Aug 2015, 03:57
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Kudos [?]: 277 [0], given: 0

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 138 [0], given: 142

Concentration: Marketing, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 630 Q44 V32
GMAT 2: 680 Q47 V35
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 29 Oct 2015, 07:28
Hi,
Need some help here. Not with the answer but with the approach.

I felt that options A and E are very close. And the only difference that makes E correct and A incorrect are the words Evidence and Judgement in A and E respectively. Hence, had there been a better word than 'evidence' in option A, it would have been the correct answer.
Am i right?

A) The first is evidence offered in support of the argument's position; the second is additional data presented as the basis for an explanation of that position.
E) The first is a judgment presented in support of the argument's conclusion; the second is factual information justifying the preference expressed in that conclusion.

Please respond.

Thanks!

One Kudos for an everlasting piece of knowledge is not a bad deal at all... :thanks

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.
-Mark Twain

Kudos [?]: 138 [0], given: 142

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 30

Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 610 Q48 V27
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)

Show Tags

New post 01 Nov 2015, 06:54
arhumsid wrote:
Hi,
Need some help here. Not with the answer but with the approach.

I felt that options A and E are very close. And the only difference that makes E correct and A incorrect are the words Evidence and Judgement in A and E respectively. Hence, had there been a better word than 'evidence' in option A, it would have been the correct answer.
Am i right?

Please respond.

Thanks!

hello
what i think.. here we need to understand what is position and what is conclusion?

position- should director consider change in advertising strategy?
conclusion- nop. brand awareness is best to continue with.

A talks about position, but 1st bold face is actually pointing to conclusion.
hope it helps... :o

correct if wrong, and a +1 wont hurt for like :wink:

Keep Faith in God Coz Every Question cannot be answered by Google

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 24

Show Tags

New post 04 Nov 2015, 03:20
One question regarding answer C). Would the answer be correct if it were presented like this: The first is a judgment that has been presented in support of an objection; the second is data supporting that objection?

Just for my understanding. Thank you in advance.

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 24

Intern
Intern

Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 610 Q48 V27
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)

Show Tags

New post 04 Nov 2015, 09:32
MrSobe17 wrote:
One question regarding answer C). Would the answer be correct if it were presented like this: The first is a judgment that has been presented in support of an objection; the second is data supporting that objection?

Just for my understanding. Thank you in advance.

yup i think it could fit in.... :)

correct if wrong, and a +1 wont hurt for like :wink:

Keep Faith in God Coz Every Question cannot be answered by Google

Board of Directors
P

Kudos [?]: 451 [0], given: 208

Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.92
WE: General Management (Transportation)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 11 Nov 2016, 15:41
tuanquang269 wrote:
This is my new project: Renew Old Thread => Back to basic => Just try It and give your reasoning

An appeal has been made by the managers of a department store to its marketing director, citing a need for a marketing approach that instead of focusing on increasing brand awareness, will advertise particular products and services offered by various departments separately. The director responded by stating that almost all industry professionals firmly believe that brand awareness is directly linked to the increase in sales experienced by department stores. Even if the effect of brand awareness and separate department advertisements have the same influence on the sales performance of the store, the company should remain with a brand awareness strategy since because advertising costs are calculated per portion of media, brand awareness strategies are cheaper than departmental advertisements.
In the argument given, the two portions in boldface play which of the following roles?

B) The first is support for an objection that has been raised against the position taken by the argument; the second is data that has been presented to further contradict that position.
C) The first is a judgment that has been presented in support of an objection; the second is data supporting an explanation that contradicts that objection.
D) The first is a point of view expressed to offer support to the argument's position; the second is evidence that calls that position into question.

(1) belief -> conclusion <- (2) premise/data point

A - first is not evidence.
B - first is not support. 2 statements do not contradict each other.
C - first is a judgment, but not supporting the objection. the second one is correct, though...very close...
D - first one is a belief/point of view - ok. second one does not call into question. out.
E stands.

Kudos [?]: 451 [0], given: 208

Top Contributor
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
S
Affiliations: CrackVerbal

Kudos [?]: 613 [1], given: 6

GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46

Show Tags

New post 12 Nov 2016, 02:52
This post received
KUDOS
Top Contributor
This post was
BOOKMARKED
What is the conclusion of the argument?

It would be the author's opinion. That is - "company should remain with a brand awareness (B.A.) strategy".
Both the boldfaces support the author's conclusion.

Let us now look at the answer options -

A - looks good. The first boldface and the second boldface both support the author's position. Let me hold on to this.

B - "The first is support for an objection that has been raised against the position taken by the argument" - when you have complex sentence like this, it is better to start from right to left to breakdown the sentence.
"position taken by the argument" - remain with BA strategy
"objection raised against position taken by the argument" - do NOT remain with BA strategy
"support for an objection raised against ..." - supports do NOT remain with BA strategy

this is clearly incorrect.

2nd part - " the second is data that has been presented to further contradict that position." - second boldface does not contradict the position taken by the author but supports it. (Incorrect)

C - "The first is a judgment that has been presented in support of an objection" - looks ok. The objection is to advertising products by various departments separately.

"the second is data supporting an explanation that contradicts that objection." - the second boldface does not contradict the objection (= remain with BA strategy) but rather supports it.

D - "the second is evidence that calls that position into question." - the second boldface supports the authors position. Incorrect

E - better than option A. "all industry professionals firmly believe that brand awareness" - this is a judgment (not an evidence - fact).

Join Free 4 part MBA Through GMAT Video Training Series here -
https://gmat.crackverbal.com/mba-through-gmat-video-2018

Enroll for our GMAT Trial Course here -
http://gmatonline.crackverbal.com/

For more info on GMAT and MBA, follow us on @AskCrackVerbal

Last edited by CrackVerbalGMAT on 12 Nov 2016, 06:52, edited 1 time in total.

Kudos [?]: 613 [1], given: 6

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 37

Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 600 Q48 V25
GMAT 2: 670 Q49 V31
GPA: 3.26
WE: Operations (Manufacturing)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 12 Nov 2016, 05:20
CrackVerbalGMAT wrote:

C - "The first is a judgment that has been presented in support of an objection" - looks ok. The objection is to advertising products by various departments separately.

"the second is data supporting an explanation that contradicts that objection." - this does not contraction the objection (= remain with BA strategy) but rather supports it.

1) Doesn't the 2nd boldface give support for Brand awareness(BAW) against the Departmental advertisements(DAD) ?
managers made a proposal, then this is objected by director. So, I think the objection is what the director supports- the support for BA.
Nonetheless, whether the objection is support for BAW or DAD, two boldfaces are coherent and don't contradict each other. C says otherwise. That's how I eliminated C.

2) Apart from that, are the terms ' data' and 'evidence' rightly used in A and C ?

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 37

Top Contributor
Director
Director
S
Affiliations: CrackVerbal

Kudos [?]: 613 [0], given: 6

GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46

Show Tags

New post 12 Nov 2016, 06:58
Top Contributor
Yes your reasoning is correct.

I have replaced the 'this does not contradict ...' in my explanation with 'the second boldface'. (probably that was the source of confusion).

evidence = facts; this is not correctly used in option A.
'brand awareness strategies are cheaper ...' - this is real world data, and not somebody's subjective judgment.

Join Free 4 part MBA Through GMAT Video Training Series here -
https://gmat.crackverbal.com/mba-through-gmat-video-2018

Enroll for our GMAT Trial Course here -
http://gmatonline.crackverbal.com/

For more info on GMAT and MBA, follow us on @AskCrackVerbal

Kudos [?]: 613 [0], given: 6

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Show Tags

New post 12 May 2017, 09:48
all A,B,C are data => wrong
D "call into question" -> wrong

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 16

Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 01 Dec 2017, 08:33
It is true that E is a little bit of a better fit than A, but to me, this isn't a well crafted question because we would need a bit more than "belief vs. evidence" to pinpoint the correct answer.

Analogy: Most scientists believe social media decreases productivity and increases depression. Thus, the next generation after millennials will suffer from dwindling productivity and increasing social pressure from social media, causing a direct hit on the innovation index.

Evidence is context based and doesn't have to be 100% literal. Too many things we know that are true cannot be 100% proven.

Insanity at its finest.

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 16

Re: An appeal has been made by the managers of a department   [#permalink] 01 Dec 2017, 08:33

An appeal has been made by the managers of a department

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap