It is currently 20 Nov 2017, 14:53

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

An archaeological dig sponsored by five universities

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 71 [0], given: 7

Concentration: General Management, International Business
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.6
WE: Project Management (Computer Software)
Re: An archaeological dig sponsored by five universities [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Aug 2011, 04:07
+1 B

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://gmatclub.com/forum/a-guide-to-the-official-guide-13-for-gmat-review-134210.html
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kudos [?]: 71 [0], given: 7

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 22

Show Tags

New post 06 Aug 2011, 04:33
B

Regards,
Asher

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 22

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 298 [0], given: 27

Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GPA: 3.5
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 07 Aug 2011, 03:26
What is the OA , I get B as wrong in my workbook

Please press KUDOS if you like my post

Kudos [?]: 298 [0], given: 27

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 52 [0], given: 42

Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 680 Q46 V37
WE: Engineering (Telecommunications)

Show Tags

New post 19 Oct 2011, 23:09
one more B !
please add OA :)

Kudos [?]: 52 [0], given: 42

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 2

Show Tags

New post 22 Oct 2011, 01:28
I thought B strengthens rather than weakens the critics' argument!

If a single person has been able to decipher in the past, that means he was working without any dependancies. Now the critics point out that because there will be dependancies in case of deciphering 5 tablets, if any one/two/three/four/all university(ies) guard(s) part of deciphered result then other universities are bound to be affected because of the "missing link" in the code.

Please let me know what am I missing here?

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 2

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 12

Show Tags

New post 22 Oct 2011, 07:05
hemanthp wrote:
An archaeological dig sponsored by five universities unearthed five stone tablets incised with an undeciphered ancient script. The universities agreed that each would take one tablet to decipher. Because of the prestige involved for the university that cracks the script, critics of current academic practices fear that the universities will jealously guard their scholars' work until decipherment is complete, and this prevention of scholars building on each others' work will result in the script never being deciphered.

Which of the following, if true, would tend to weaken most seriously the critics' argument?

-Without healthy competition, the intellectual life of the university stagnates and research loses forward momentum.
-The decipherment of other ancient scripts has generally been the work of a single person working alone.
-Universities will give substantial funding to projects they consider prestigious.
-A university atmosphere generally provides an open forum for the exchange of ideas, which enhances the growth of intellectual projects.
-When deciphering a code, the military always works in secrecy to prevent any leaks to the enemy that will warn them to change their code.

Don't forget KUDOS if you like the question. This is from KAPLAN CAT.

Nice question.
Question type - weaken the argument.
Conclusion - "this prevention of scholars building on each others' work will result in the script never being deciphered"
(A) - "healthy competition" is not discussed in argument. Its about "jealousy"
(B) - Weakens.
(C) - Funding has already been provided. Out of scope.
(D) - Even in open forum because of "jealousy" students may not share knowledge. Does not weaken.
(E) - military is not one person, but is group of soldiers, commanders etc. Irrelevant.

(B) wins.

Thanks and Regards,
GM.

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 22 Oct 2011, 07:09
prakhag wrote:
I thought B strengthens rather than weakens the critics' argument!

If a single person has been able to decipher in the past, that means he was working without any dependancies. Now the critics point out that because there will be dependancies in case of deciphering 5 tablets, if any one/two/three/four/all university(ies) guard(s) part of deciphered result then other universities are bound to be affected because of the "missing link" in the code.

Please let me know what am I missing here?

What we need to weaken - "this prevention of scholars building on each others' work will result in the script never being deciphered."
B weakens because it tells previous success stories of working alone and yet deciphering the script.
Hence, even if students work individually, chance are that one of them will decipher the script.

Thanks and Regards,
GM.

BSchool Forum Moderator

Kudos [?]: 735 [0], given: 44

Concentration: International Business, Marketing
GMAT Date: 06-06-2014
GPA: 3.07
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 05 Nov 2011, 00:42
Quote:
An archaeological dig sponsored by five universities unearthed five stone tablets incised with an undeciphered ancient script. The universities agreed that each would take one tablet to decipher. Because of the prestige involved for the university that cracks the script, critics of current academic practices fear that the universities will jealously guard their scholars' work until decipherment is complete, and this prevention of scholars building on each others' work will result in the script never being deciphered.

Premise 1: 5 Us sponsored 1 archaeological dig and found 5 stone tablets that were not deciphered before

Premise 2: Each U take 1 tablet. Who crack the script will be honored

Conclusions: U will guard their scholars' work => prevent the scholars building on each others' work from deciphering

Which of the following, if true, would tend to weaken most seriously the critics' argument?

-Without healthy competition, the intellectual life of the university stagnates and research loses forward momentum. => Strengthen one
-The decipherment of other ancient scripts has generally been the work of a single person working alone. => Contender
-Universities will give substantial funding to projects they consider prestigious. => irrelevant
-A university atmosphere generally provides an open forum for the exchange of ideas, which enhances the growth of intellectual projects. => Contender
-When deciphering a code, the military always works in secrecy to prevent any leaks to the enemy that will warn them to change their code. => military will protect the work within the country from enemy. If 5 University located in 1 country, this one is not strength to attack conclusion

Between B and D, I chose B because I think that D is normal atmosphere, but now the 5 tablets is the most secret in history of archaeology that will make the prestige for one school and create the competitive atmosphere.

Rules for posting in verbal gmat forum, read it before posting anything in verbal forum
Giving me + 1 kudos if my post is valuable with you :)

The more you like my post, the more you share to other's need

CR: Focus of the Week: Must be True Question

Kudos [?]: 735 [0], given: 44

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 3

Show Tags

New post 13 Nov 2011, 18:44
B

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 3

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: American Management association, American Association of financial accountants

Kudos [?]: 370 [0], given: 52

Schools: Columbia university

Show Tags

New post 15 Nov 2011, 10:06
I am sad, I picked D :(

Sky is the limit

Kudos [?]: 370 [0], given: 52

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 188 [0], given: 291

Show Tags

New post 04 Nov 2013, 09:27
The OA is B guys.... E is a trap. It was actually an easy question.

Kudos [?]: 188 [0], given: 291

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 742 [0], given: 355

Concentration: Finance
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 15 Jan 2014, 10:13
hemanthp wrote:

-Without healthy competition, the intellectual life of the university stagnates and research loses forward momentum.
-The decipherment of other ancient scripts has generally been the work of a single person working alone.
-Universities will give substantial funding to projects they consider prestigious.
-A university atmosphere generally provides an open forum for the exchange of ideas, which enhances the growth of intellectual projects.
-When deciphering a code, the military always works in secrecy to prevent any leaks to the enemy that will warn them to change their code.

Don't forget KUDOS if you like the question. This is from KAPLAN CAT.

I'm going with B on this one because we are told that the universities will prevent scholars building on others' work and that in turn will make the script unable to be deciphered.

Answer choice B says that the decipherment is often a work of a single person. Therefore, this clearly weakens the argument because there's no reason to believe that scholars will be prevented to build on others' work since they don't usually need to rely on them to decipher a script.

Hope its clear

Cheers!
J :)

Kudos [?]: 742 [0], given: 355

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 72 [0], given: 56

Show Tags

New post 09 Feb 2014, 04:42
I chose D. but none seemed good to me. My doubt with B is how is it relevant to this particular deciphering in question? 5 different tablets are with 5 different universities. "Each would take one tablet to decipher" I understood this as each univ deciphers one tablet and collaboration is needed to decipher the whole, so single person deciphering this particular puzzle didn't make sense. Did I miss anything?

Click on Kudos if you liked the post!

Practice makes Perfect.

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 77

Show Tags

New post 09 Feb 2014, 07:31
gmatprav wrote:
I chose D. but none seemed good to me. My doubt with B is how is it relevant to this particular deciphering in question? 5 different tablets are with 5 different universities. "Each would take one tablet to decipher" I understood this as each univ deciphers one tablet and collaboration is needed to decipher the whole, so single person deciphering this particular puzzle didn't make sense. Did I miss anything?

and this prevention of scholars building on each others' work will result in the script never being deciphered.

B seems fit that.

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 77

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 10 Feb 2014, 00:36
Can you please elaborate? I didn't understand.
samsmalldog wrote:

and this prevention of scholars building on each others' work will result in the script never being deciphered.

B seems fit that.

Click on Kudos if you liked the post!

Practice makes Perfect.

2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 16 [2], given: 77

Show Tags

New post 10 Feb 2014, 18:37
This post received
KUDOS
gmatprav wrote:
samsmalldog wrote:

B seems fit that.

Background:An archaeological dig sponsored by five universities unearthed five stone tablets incised with an undeciphered ancient script. The universities agreed that each would take one tablet to decipher.

Premise:Because of the prestige involved for the university that cracks the script, critics of current academic practices fear that the universities will jealously guard their scholars' work until decipherment is complete,

Conclusion:and this prevention of scholars building on each others' work will result in the script never being deciphered.

The answer would weaken the critics' argument, so if the answer attack or weaken the main conclusion, choose it.

The red part is the main point of the conclusion:prevent working with each other will result that the work will never finished. i,e, work alone --> never deciphered.

B.The decipherment of other ancient scripts has generally been the work of a single person working alone.
This answer hits the point, "generally" told us that it's usual to work alone in decipherment, like there is one teacher teaching in the class and it works,, this answer actually weaken the conclusion

D.A university atmosphere generally provides an open forum for the exchange of ideas, which enhances the growth of intellectual projects.
irrelevent, told us nothing about work alone and decipherment

NEVER EVER attack background information, In weaken question we must focus on the MAIN CONCLUSION. or you will go too far.

hope it helps,

Jack.

Kudos [?]: 16 [2], given: 77

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 44 [0], given: 37

Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GPA: 3.62
WE: Engineering (Manufacturing)

Show Tags

New post 02 Jun 2014, 19:18
D is talking about the atmosphere within a university not between universities. So D is limited in scope to weaken the conclusion.

B is a little out of scope because it may not 100% true for this particular case.

But between the two D is anyways disqualified because of the above reasons

Kudos [?]: 44 [0], given: 37

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 79 [0], given: 58

Show Tags

New post 02 Jun 2014, 22:48
samsmalldog wrote:
gmatprav wrote:

Background:An archaeological dig sponsored by five universities unearthed five stone tablets incised with an undeciphered ancient script. The universities agreed that each would take one tablet to decipher.

Premise:Because of the prestige involved for the university that cracks the script, critics of current academic practices fear that the universities will jealously guard their scholars' work until decipherment is complete,

Conclusion:and this prevention of scholars building on each others' work will result in the script never being deciphered.

The answer would weaken the critics' argument, so if the answer attack or weaken the main conclusion, choose it.

The red part is the main point of the conclusion:prevent working with each other will result that the work will never finished. i,e, work alone --> never deciphered.

B.The decipherment of other ancient scripts has generally been the work of a single person working alone.
This answer hits the point, "generally" told us that it's usual to work alone in decipherment, like there is one teacher teaching in the class and it works,, this answer actually weaken the conclusion

D.A university atmosphere generally provides an open forum for the exchange of ideas, which enhances the growth of intellectual projects.
irrelevent, told us nothing about work alone and decipherment

NEVER EVER attack background information, In weaken question we must focus on the MAIN CONCLUSION. or you will go too far.

hope it helps,

Jack.

My issue is that B claims that someone, working alone can figure it out.
The problem here is that the tablets were split five-ways, so when one person working alone can descypher, he would have access to all tablets, which is not the case here...
Can someone help me with this?

Kudos [?]: 79 [0], given: 58

2 KUDOS received
BSchool Forum Moderator

Kudos [?]: 735 [2], given: 44

Concentration: International Business, Marketing
GMAT Date: 06-06-2014
GPA: 3.07
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
An archaeological dig sponsored by five universities [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Jul 2014, 07:40
This post received
KUDOS
This is my new project: Renew Old Thread => Back to basic => Just try It and give your reasoning

A, Without healthy competition, the intellectual life of the university stagnates and research loses forward momentum.
B, The decipherment of other ancient scripts has generally been the work of a single person working alone.
C, Universities will give substantial funding to projects they consider prestigious.
D, A university atmosphere generally provides an open forum for the exchange of ideas, which enhances the growth of intellectual projects.
E, When deciphering a code, the military always works in secrecy to prevent any leaks to the enemy that will warn them to change their code.

Rules for posting in verbal gmat forum, read it before posting anything in verbal forum
Giving me + 1 kudos if my post is valuable with you :)

The more you like my post, the more you share to other's need

CR: Focus of the Week: Must be True Question

Kudos [?]: 735 [2], given: 44

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 72 [0], given: 46

Show Tags

New post 28 Jul 2014, 04:00
This is not to counter anyone's claims, but does renewing the threads erase what experts and members had posted that time.
If yes, then I guess that might hurt the forum.

Specifically, I did this question wrong and now am looking here and there to just find a descent explanation !

Best
MKS
Appreciate it with Kudos !! :)

Kudos [?]: 72 [0], given: 46

Re: An archaeological dig sponsored by five universities   [#permalink] 28 Jul 2014, 04:00

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3    Next  [ 48 posts ] 

An archaeological dig sponsored by five universities

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap