Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 03:48 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 03:48

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 916 [2]
Given Kudos: 911
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V37
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 415 [1]
Given Kudos: 778
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 37 [1]
Given Kudos: 53
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 600 Q42 V31
GPA: 4
WE:Operations (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2221 [1]
Given Kudos: 199
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
Send PM
Re: An increasing number of new passenger car models are being shipped [#permalink]
Bookmarks
PeepalTree wrote:
An increasing number of new passenger car models are being shipped with side-impact air bags as standard equipment, in part because such air bags are known to be beneficial in many accident scenarios and in part because not having them is regarded as a marketing disadvantage. However, side-impact air bags are not entirely without risk; for example, they can result in serious injury if a passenger is leaning against the window or the door when an accident takes place. Thus, a leading advocacy group has taken the position that side-impact air bags should not be made standard on all models until their absolute safety can be guaranteed.

Which of the following, if true, would most strengthen the position of the advocacy group?
A. Shoulder belts for passengers in the rear middle seat of a vehicle save many more lives per year than side-impact air bags do.
B. Side-impact air bags have lessened the exhilaration of driving.
C. Each year, many people are injured when a side-impact air bag inflates against an object suspended from a coat hanger in a vehicle.
D. Features should not be made standard until they are proven to be completely safe.
E. No feature of a vehicle will ever be absolutely safe.

Hi DavidTutorexamPAL VeritasKarishma

Please help in eliminating option C here.

Thanks!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 17
Send PM
Re: An increasing number of new passenger car models are being shipped [#permalink]
Kudos
I think option C is wrong because argument talks about a scenario in which airbags are injurious when accident takes place.
This is not the case in option C.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 37 [0]
Given Kudos: 53
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 600 Q42 V31
GPA: 4
WE:Operations (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
“Thus, a leading advocacy group has taken the position that side-impact air bags should not be made standard on all models until their absolute safety can be guaranteed.”
This statement brings into question the safety aspect of the side impact air bags and C supports it as these air bags have proved to cause injuries to many people.

Posted from my mobile device
examPAL Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 1777 [3]
Given Kudos: 26
Send PM
An increasing number of new passenger car models are being shipped [#permalink]
Kudos
gmat1393 wrote:
PeepalTree wrote:
An increasing number of new passenger car models are being shipped with side-impact air bags as standard equipment, in part because such air bags are known to be beneficial in many accident scenarios and in part because not having them is regarded as a marketing disadvantage. However, side-impact air bags are not entirely without risk; for example, they can result in serious injury if a passenger is leaning against the window or the door when an accident takes place. Thus, a leading advocacy group has taken the position that side-impact air bags should not be made standard on all models until their absolute safety can be guaranteed.

Which of the following, if true, would most strengthen the position of the advocacy group?
A. Shoulder belts for passengers in the rear middle seat of a vehicle save many more lives per year than side-impact air bags do.
B. Side-impact air bags have lessened the exhilaration of driving.
C. Each year, many people are injured when a side-impact air bag inflates against an object suspended from a coat hanger in a vehicle.
D. Features should not be made standard until they are proven to be completely safe.
E. No feature of a vehicle will ever be absolutely safe.

Hi DavidTutorexamPAL VeritasKarishma

Please help in eliminating option C here.

Thanks!

Hey, thanks for the question.
My 2c

Our passage can be broken down into
1. more cars shipped with air bags, (because) beneficial in accidents (and because) need for marketing
2. (but) air bags have risk, in [specific example]
3. advocacy group: wait until safety guaranteed before standardizing

We're asked to strengthen the position of the advocacy group, i.e. to support that the air bags should not be standardized until they are absolutely safe. The natural way to do this is to talk about the risk, e.g to show that the risk is too large to be ignored. This would strengthen the case that air bags are dangerous and therefore we should wait before standardizing, but does not address the advocacy's very extreme position that we should wait until they are "absolutely safe". This is the difference between (C) and (D) - (C) would strengthen a more realistic opinion of 'airbags are dangerous; make them safer please" whereas (D) supports the advocacy's extreme position as something which must be true (i.e (D) pretty much literally restates their position as a statement that 'must be true' according to question stem).

Honestly I don't like the question too much, wouldn't spend too much time analyzing it.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 68 [3]
Given Kudos: 34
Send PM
Kudos
NRJ11090 wrote:
D is more like an inference. C comes more close to a strengthener for the given statement as it gives a case in which the safety aspect of the side-impact air bags can be doubted.

Strengthener can be restatement of the conclusion or an example or history of the preimise.
Having said that here option C seems to be strenghthener as it looks like it is an example but identify "the coat hanger part" this is wrong . The para says they can be harmful if someone is leaning against the door and the option C doesn't align with this one.

If it helps,help me by giving kudos :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 77
Send PM
Can someone explain option C and D? Option D just restates the conclusion, directly stated in the argument. The very basic definition of strengthener is that it should bring in new information. On the other hand, I believe Option C, does provide some support (weakly) by presenting a downside of improper deployment practice of air bags. Not sure, how exactly is the OA Option D. I feel C is better.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts