GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 22 Oct 2018, 22:19

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

An independent audit found no indication of tax

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

RC Moderator
P
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Operations
GMAT 1: 630 Q48 V28
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests
An independent audit found no indication of tax  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Sep 2018, 08:13
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

55% (hard)

Question Stats:

55% (01:14) correct 45% (01:54) wrong based on 47 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

"An independent audit found no indication of tax avoidance on the part of the firm in the firm's accounts, therefore no such problem exists.”

The questionable reasoning in the argument above is most closely paralleled by that in which one of the following?

(A) The plan for the introduction of the new product has been unmodified so far; therefore, it will not be modified in the future.
(B) The overall budget for the projects has been exceeded by a large amount; therefore, at least one of the projects has exceeded its budget by large amount.
(C) A compilation of the best student essays of the year includes no essays on current events; therefore, students have become apathetic toward current events.
(D) A survey of schools in the district found no school without a need for building repair; therefore, the education provided to students in this district is substandard.
(E) An examination of the index of the book found no listing for the most prominent critic of the theory the book advocates; therefore, the book fails to refer to that critic.

PS : Credit goes to harvard2019 for bringing this Q up in chat forum... a nice Q. I think the Q should be present in the forum. Although 2 retired threads are there in the GC club. but never found a discussion here. Deferring the OA for 1 day to have a discussion on the Q. Thanks again harvard2019.
Mods please let me know if there are any issues.

Please let me know if I am going in wrong direction.
Thanks in appreciation.

Most Helpful Community Reply
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
GPA: 3.76
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: An independent audit found no indication of tax  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Sep 2018, 09:21
I can rule out A, C and D
Between B and E i will go with E
An independent audit found no indication of tax avoidance Result: No problem Exists (one conclusion that there is no problem) A leads to result B
B: The overall budget for the projects has been exceeded by a large amount; therefore, at least one of the projects has exceeded its budget by large amount. (what if budget of all projects increases? its more about weighted average)
E: An examination of the index of the book found no listing for the most prominent critic of the theory the book advocates; therefore, the book fails to refer to that critic.
No listing for the most prominent critic of the theory Result: it fails to refer that critic (one single conclusion)

Push yourself again and again. Don't give an inch until the final buzzer sounds. -Larry Bird
Success isn't something that just happens - success is learned, success is practiced and then it is shared. -Sparky Anderson
-S

General Discussion
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V34
Reviews Badge CAT Tests
An independent audit found no indication of tax  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Sep 2018, 10:15
I will go with E .What is OA?

-----------------------------
It's never too late :cool:
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 20 Sep 2018, 10:45
An independent audit found no indication of tax avoidance on the part of the firm in the firm's accounts, therefore no such problem exists.???

The questionable reasoning in the argument above is most closely paralleled by that in which one of the following?

(A) The plan for the introduction of the new product has been unmodified so far; therefore, it will not be modified in the future.
(B) The overall budget for the projects has been exceeded by a large amount; therefore, at least one of the projects has exceeded its budget by large amount.
(C) A compilation of the best student essays of the year includes no essays on current events; therefore, students have become apathetic toward current events.
(D) A survey of schools in the district found no school without a need for building repair; therefore, the education provided to students in this district is substandard.
(E) An examination of the index of the book found no listing for the most prominent critic of the theory the book advocates; therefore, the book fails to refer to that critic.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 20 Sep 2018, 11:00
Structure -

X (no indication of tax avoidance)
Y ( on the part of the firm in the firm's accounts)

X is not present in Y (no X in Y)
© - no X.

Flaw in reasoning- author assumes that one parameter is enough to conclude that the entity is absent.
Flaw- there can be several parameters which could evidently show that X exists.

Question type- parallel reasoning.

NOTE- try to match the structure first and eliminate as many as possible.

A. No improvement in X. © No improvement in X in future.
Only X ... Incorrect.

B. X... ©-At least one Y is present in X. Incorrect.

C. no X in Y. ©-Students are Z.
Three entities. Incorrect

D. no X in Y. ©-Education is Z.
Incorrect

E.no X in Y. ©-No X

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 620 Q49 V25
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 20 Sep 2018, 13:07
I will go with E .

As it shows that we do have some evidence in the first part of the option to assume the second part of the option , Like the way argument in the question speaks about .
GMAT Club Bot
Re: An independent audit found no indication of tax &nbs [#permalink] 20 Sep 2018, 13:07

An independent audit found no indication of tax

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap