GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 10 Dec 2018, 12:03

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Free lesson on number properties

December 10, 2018

December 10, 2018

10:00 PM PST

11:00 PM PST

Practice the one most important Quant section - Integer properties, and rapidly improve your skills.
  • Free GMAT Prep Hour

December 11, 2018

December 11, 2018

09:00 PM EST

10:00 PM EST

Strategies and techniques for approaching featured GMAT topics. December 11 at 9 PM EST.

An international convention regulating trade in endangered

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
Re: SC - Beers and Tigers  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Jan 2011, 04:19
E - best answer available ..
but i think that subjunctive with verb "were" would be better option .. cause if clause in this sentence express condition that is not true

"could be significantly weakened if restrictions on captive breeding of endangered species were eased"

Las cualidades del agua...porque el agua no olvida que su destino es el mar, y que tarde o temprano deberá llegar a él.

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 11 Jan 2011, 05:33
E it is.

It is the only choice which makes sense logically.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V42

Show Tags

New post 12 Jan 2011, 02:28
Guess I'm the only one to have this opinion but A, even though wordy, looks best to me. Rest of the answer choices seem like :bouncer to me :lol:

My GMAT debrief: http://gmatclub.com/forum/from-620-to-710-my-gmat-journey-114437.html

Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 560 Q36 V31
GPA: 3
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 22 Feb 2011, 10:51
Wow this took some effort, but I got it at last.

The statement essentially has two parts: The one not underlined and the one that is. The underlined portion states that the restrictions prevent the regulation from weakening, which is to say the restrictions are a good thing.

The best fit is E.

petrifiedbutstanding

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 22 Feb 2011, 13:32
E the best

A) s-v issue
b) aren't changes the meaning of the sentence
c) being is a big suspicious here for me
d) can't be.. not the right tense.
Manager
Manager
WE 1: 4 yr IT

Show Tags

New post 24 Feb 2011, 02:20
IMO E. This is a subtle play using could, couldn't and are, aren't. need to use as much logic as grammar.
BTW the headline for this question makes me think of drunken tigers!!! :-D

this time, we play for keeps

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 24 Feb 2011, 04:12
between A and E.
I went for A considering it to be hypothetical(subjunctive), although it was bit awkward and had non-antecedent "it" by strict grammar rules.

Conquer the Hell and make it Haven. Brain is your hell and Success is your haven!

"Kudos" is significant part of GMAT prep. If you like it, you just click it :)

Retired Moderator
D
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 24 Feb 2011, 05:54
The flipped construction of the passage would be “Conservation and animal welfare group warn (that) an international convention regulating trade in endangered species, especially bears and tigers, could be significantly weakened were it not for restrictions on captive breeding of endangered species.

Agreed that convoluted expressions in BCD alter the original intent, we are left with A and E.

I do not appreciate why A can’t be the choice. After all, the ‘were it not for’ is an idiomatic, past subjunctive expression, indicating some amount of hypothesis in the logic. I would hesitate to call it awkward. But I would find fault with E because, in present conditional sentences, the main clause will either be in future tense mostly or in present tense, while the conditional subordinate clause will be in present tense. ‘Will be significantly weakened’ should have been the correct expression.

Such passages must provide the Official Explanation also IMO.

you can know a lot about something and not really understand it."-- a quote
No one knows this better than a GMAT student does.
Narendran +9198845 44509

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 19 Jul 2011, 00:17
A good example of passive construction. E for me.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 680 Q50 V32
Re: An international convention regulating trade in endangered  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Jan 2012, 05:13
After a long while, I have seen a question which tests only NEGATIVES and DOUBLE NEGATIVES. Interesting.. :P
Manager
Manager
Schools: Mccombs business school, Mays business school, Rotman Business School,

Show Tags

New post 11 Jun 2012, 08:44
good question. i pick E here. the intended meaning of the sentence is just opposite in B. so B is out. the subject of the verb "warn" the conversation and animal welfare groups

some people are successful, because they have been fortunate enough and some people earn success, because they have been determined.....

please press kudos if you like my post.... i am begging for kudos...lol

Intern
Intern
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 11 Jan 2014, 06:26
i didn't get the meaning of the sentence

can someone explain me the underlined line
Manager
Manager
B
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 27 Dec 2015, 15:10
Meaning of the original sentence - The international convention could be weakened if something happens.

A,B, C and E are meaning exactly opposite of the original meaning so E is the answer.

priyankur_saha@ml.com wrote:
An international convention regulating trade in endangered species, especially bears and tigers, could be significantly weakened were it not for restrictions on captive breeding of endangered species, warn conservation and animal welfare groups.

(A) could be significantly weakened were it not for restrictions on captive breeding of endangered species, warn conservation and animal welfare groups.
(B) could be significantly weakened if restrictions on captive breeding of endangered species aren't eased, warn conservation and animal welfare groups.
(C) couldn't be significantly weakened without restrictions on captive breeding of endangered species being eased, warn conservation and animal welfare groups.
(D) can't be significantly weakened if restrictions on captive breeding of endangered species are eased, warn conservation and animal welfare groups.
(E) could be significantly weakened if restrictions on captive breeding of endangered species are eased, warn conservation and animal welfare groups.
Manager
Manager
S
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 07 Aug 2018, 00:26
priyankur_saha@ml.com wrote:
An international convention regulating trade in endangered species, especially bears and tigers, could be significantly weakened were it not for restrictions on captive breeding of endangered species, warn conservation and animal welfare groups.

(A) could be significantly weakened were it not for restrictions on captive breeding of endangered species, warn conservation and animal welfare groups.
(B) could be significantly weakened if restrictions on captive breeding of endangered species aren't eased, warn conservation and animal welfare groups.
(C) couldn't be significantly weakened without restrictions on captive breeding of endangered species being eased, warn conservation and animal welfare groups.
(D) can't be significantly weakened if restrictions on captive breeding of endangered species are eased, warn conservation and animal welfare groups.
(E) could be significantly weakened if restrictions on captive breeding of endangered species are eased, warn conservation and animal welfare groups.

option E .x could happen if y happen.c correct me if I am wrong

Sent from my Lenovo K33a42 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

IMPOSSIBLE IS JUST AN OPINION

Intern
Intern
B
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 07 Aug 2018, 00:46
silasaaa2 wrote:
(A) could be significantly weakened were it not for restrictions on captive breeding of endangered species, warn conservation and animal welfare groups. seems awkward and if conditions seems to be more appropriate
(B) could be significantly weakened if restrictions on captive breeding of endangered species aren’t eased, warn conservation and animal welfare groups. seems correct and concise
(C) couldn’t be significantly weakened without restrictions on captive breeding of endangered species being eased, warn conservation and animal welfare groups.if conditions seems to be more appropriate
(D) can’t be significantly weakened if restrictions on captive breeding of endangered species are eased, warn conservation and animal welfare groups.seems awkward
(E) could be significantly weakened if restrictions on captive breeding of endangered species are eased, warn conservation and animal welfare groups. seems to alter meaning

B and E convey exactly opposite meaning. If the convention is to remain strong then there should be restrictions... Therefore E is correct not B

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 24 Aug 2018, 02:43
gottabwise wrote:
I chose E after two splits. I knew A was incorrect because 'were' was out of place.

Posted from my mobile device

Hi,

I eliminated choice A as 'were' is used in hypothetical situations. Am I right????
GMAT Club Bot
Re: An international convention regulating trade in endangered &nbs [#permalink] 24 Aug 2018, 02:43

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 36 posts ] 

An international convention regulating trade in endangered

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap