GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 19 Oct 2018, 06:30

Fuqua EA Calls Expected Soon:

Join us in the chat | track the decision tracker | See forum posts/summary


Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Analysis of Arguement - Please Review

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Affiliations: SigEp
Joined: 12 Jun 2010
Posts: 63
Analysis of Arguement - Please Review  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Aug 2010, 10:52
This is my first attempt of this type of essay, I usually consider myself to be a good writer, it's a lot different under pressure.

Word Count: 322
Time: 31.5 minutes

“Two of today’s best-selling brands of full-strength prescription medication for the relief of excess stomach acid, Acid-Ease and Pepticaid, are now available in milder nonprescription forms. Doctors have written 76 million more prescriptions for full-strength Acid-Ease than for full-strength Pepticaid. So people who need an effective but milder nonprescription medication for the relief of excess stomach acid should choose Acid-Ease.”

--------------------------------
The intention of this argument states that there are two popular forms of stomach acid relieving medication now available in milder forms. It also states that Acid-ease is more frequently prescribed, so it should be chosen in generic form for mild stomach pain. This is flawed because the assumptions made about the conclusion present no clear evidence to support it. Therefore the argument is rather weak, sounds unconvincing and has several flaws.

First, the argument assumes that since these drugs are the most popular on the market they are the most effective. This does not clearly link to the effectiveness rather the popular opinion of the drugs themselves. There is no evidence proving the doctors likelihood to prescribe the drug to effectiveness, therefore presenting another link in causality between the effectiveness and popularity of the drugs.

Secondly, the argument attempts to assume the generic form of either drug will be effective. This lacks evidence because it is never proven that the difference in drug forms will make mild pain disappear. It is not to be assumed that since it is a weaker form of the drug, that same drug will alleviate weaker forms of the pain.

Finally, there is no evidence shown to conclude that someone should not just choose the more powerful version of the drug if, in fact, the stomach acid was only a minor problem. Factors such as how much the drug cost in relation to the generic form, the ability to reach a doctor easily, and comparing the side effects of each drug would all present a more solid case to not choose the more powerful drug even for mild stomach acid.

This argument is unconvincing because of the above mentioned flaws not relating to the conclusion of the statement. Ultimately the argument can be strengthened by linking the mild stomach pain to the actual new forms of the medication and proving its effectiveness in an experimental setting.
Retired Moderator
User avatar
Status: The last round
Joined: 18 Jun 2009
Posts: 1223
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V34
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Analysis of Arguement - Please Review  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Aug 2010, 11:00
Its a good effort, but you need to familiarize yourself with some common sentences used in analyzing an argument. Your effort is missing those pharases & connectors which are attractive to reader. Also, you have emphasized on evidence only in all three paras. I think there can be a number of weak links & you can highlight those. Lastly, as you mentioned, the essay is short of words.

I hope you have gone through this great guide how-to-get-6-0-awa-my-guide-64327.html
My suggestion is to follow the steps mentioned in chineseburned guide & practice atleast 6 essays.

Best of luck & keep us posted.

Edit: Correct link updated.
_________________

[ From 470 to 680-My Story ] [ My Last Month Before Test ]
[ GMAT Prep Analysis Tool ] [ US. Business School Dashboard ] [ Int. Business School Dashboard ]

I Can, I Will

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 25 Mar 2012
Posts: 24
Re: Analysis of Arguement - Please Review  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Aug 2012, 12:39
Its the same topic.
Can any body plzzz review my essay and tell me how it is and how i can improve.. exam is in 3 days :(
And also PLS rate my essay out of 6.

In the consumer-product magazine, the author claims that of the two best-selling brands of full-strength prescription medication for the relief of stomach acid, Acid-Ease is effective than peptiacid non prescription medication because, doctors have written more than 76 million prescription for full strenth Acid- Ease than for full-strength Peptiacid. The author's line of reasoning is unconvincing for several reasons.

The most conspicious reasoning error in the argument is that author does not mention the total number of brands available in non presciption forms. For example, if the total number of brands in milder non presciption forms for stomach relief is only 3, then claiming two of best-selling brands is unwarranted. If the total number of brands is 1000, then two of best-selling brands supports the argument. Without compelling evidence, this assumption is not substantiated.

Secondly, the argument states that Acid-Ease is more effective than peptiacid because doctors have written more than 76 million presciptions for Acid-Ease than for full strenth peptiacid. However, no evidence is stated to establish the causal claim in question. Moreover, the author fails to take into notice the other factors relavent for preferring Acid-Ease to Peptiacid. For instance, factors such as, the time taken by the Acid-Ease to give immediate relief, the quantity and the quality of the medicine etc are not addressed in the argument. Without ruling out other factors, it is insufficient to conclude that Acid-Ease is effective than peptiacid.

Finally, the author mentions that Acid-Ease and peptiacid are the two best-selling brands for stomach acid relief. However, the author does not provide any proof that these two are the best of all other medicines for stomach relief.

Because the argument leaves several key issues, it is not sound or persuasive. To make the argument more convincing, the author would have to provide evidence that Acid-Ease is more effective than peptiacid. Addionally, the author would have to provide evidence that Acid-Ease and Peptiacid are the only two best-selling brands in milder non presciption forms for stomach acid relief.
Kaplan GMAT Instructor
User avatar
Joined: 25 Aug 2009
Posts: 635
Location: Cambridge, MA
Re: Analysis of Arguement - Please Review  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Aug 2012, 19:26
Desperate123 wrote:
Its the same topic.
Can any body plzzz review my essay and tell me how it is and how i can improve.. exam is in 3 days :(
And also PLS rate my essay out of 6.

In the consumer-product magazine, the author claims that of the two best-selling brands of full-strength prescription medication for the relief of stomach acid, Acid-Ease is effective than peptiacid non prescription medication because, doctors have written more than 76 million prescription for full strenth Acid- Ease than for full-strength Peptiacid. The author's line of reasoning is unconvincing for several reasons.

The most conspicious reasoning error in the argument is that author does not mention the total number of brands available in non presciption forms. For example, if the total number of brands in milder non presciption forms for stomach relief is only 3, then claiming two of best-selling brands is unwarranted. If the total number of brands is 1000, then two of best-selling brands supports the argument. Without compelling evidence, this assumption is not substantiated.

Secondly, the argument states that Acid-Ease is more effective than peptiacid because doctors have written more than 76 million presciptions for Acid-Ease than for full strenth peptiacid. However, no evidence is stated to establish the causal claim in question. Moreover, the author fails to take into notice the other factors relavent for preferring Acid-Ease to Peptiacid. For instance, factors such as, the time taken by the Acid-Ease to give immediate relief, the quantity and the quality of the medicine etc are not addressed in the argument. Without ruling out other factors, it is insufficient to conclude that Acid-Ease is effective than peptiacid.

Finally, the author mentions that Acid-Ease and peptiacid are the two best-selling brands for stomach acid relief. However, the author does not provide any proof that these two are the best of all other medicines for stomach relief.

Because the argument leaves several key issues, it is not sound or persuasive. To make the argument more convincing, the author would have to provide evidence that Acid-Ease is more effective than peptiacid. Addionally, the author would have to provide evidence that Acid-Ease and Peptiacid are the only two best-selling brands in milder non presciption forms for stomach acid relief.
Hi Desperate123,

This gets a 4 out of 6. Structurally, you did very well in organizing your thoughts. And, your writing is good. However, your logic needs a little polish to hit the highest scores! Be very particular about declaring something the "most conspicuous" flaw, for starters. If the flaw you identified ISN'T the most conspicuous, you're in trouble--in fact, the '4' essay in the Official Guide gets specifically called out on this. Here, causal issues about the number of pills sold (Why were they prescribed more? How much were they advertised, how long were they on the market, what side effects do they have, etc.) and representativeness issues (how much milder are each of the two medicines? How much does a reduced dose negatively impact the effect of each medicine?) are much more "conspicuous" than the valid, but less central, assumptions about nonprescription competitors. And, your 4th paragraph almost hit the most important flaw--that "best-selling" is not "best!"--but ended up getting distracted by other medicine, and important but secondary concern.

Make sure you prioritize assumptions. Which assumptions hinge on which other assumptions, which are easily proved and which are completely unfounded? Explore the most important flaws first, and in more detail, to improve your scores!

Regards,
_________________

Eli Meyer
Kaplan Teacher
http://www.kaptest.com/GMAT

Prepare with Kaplan and save $150 on a course!

Image

Kaplan Reviews

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 25 Mar 2012
Posts: 24
Re: Analysis of Arguement - Please Review  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Aug 2012, 07:48
KapTeacherEli wrote:
Desperate123 wrote:
Its the same topic.
Can any body plzzz review my essay and tell me how it is and how i can improve.. exam is in 3 days :(
And also PLS rate my essay out of 6.

In the consumer-product magazine, the author claims that of the two best-selling brands of full-strength prescription medication for the relief of stomach acid, Acid-Ease is effective than peptiacid non prescription medication because, doctors have written more than 76 million prescription for full strenth Acid- Ease than for full-strength Peptiacid. The author's line of reasoning is unconvincing for several reasons.

The most conspicious reasoning error in the argument is that author does not mention the total number of brands available in non presciption forms. For example, if the total number of brands in milder non presciption forms for stomach relief is only 3, then claiming two of best-selling brands is unwarranted. If the total number of brands is 1000, then two of best-selling brands supports the argument. Without compelling evidence, this assumption is not substantiated.

Secondly, the argument states that Acid-Ease is more effective than peptiacid because doctors have written more than 76 million presciptions for Acid-Ease than for full strenth peptiacid. However, no evidence is stated to establish the causal claim in question. Moreover, the author fails to take into notice the other factors relavent for preferring Acid-Ease to Peptiacid. For instance, factors such as, the time taken by the Acid-Ease to give immediate relief, the quantity and the quality of the medicine etc are not addressed in the argument. Without ruling out other factors, it is insufficient to conclude that Acid-Ease is effective than peptiacid.

Finally, the author mentions that Acid-Ease and peptiacid are the two best-selling brands for stomach acid relief. However, the author does not provide any proof that these two are the best of all other medicines for stomach relief.

Because the argument leaves several key issues, it is not sound or persuasive. To make the argument more convincing, the author would have to provide evidence that Acid-Ease is more effective than peptiacid. Addionally, the author would have to provide evidence that Acid-Ease and Peptiacid are the only two best-selling brands in milder non presciption forms for stomach acid relief.
Hi Desperate123,

This gets a 4 out of 6. Structurally, you did very well in organizing your thoughts. And, your writing is good. However, your logic needs a little polish to hit the highest scores! Be very particular about declaring something the "most conspicuous" flaw, for starters. If the flaw you identified ISN'T the most conspicuous, you're in trouble--in fact, the '4' essay in the Official Guide gets specifically called out on this. Here, causal issues about the number of pills sold (Why were they prescribed more? How much were they advertised, how long were they on the market, what side effects do they have, etc.) and representativeness issues (how much milder are each of the two medicines? How much does a reduced dose negatively impact the effect of each medicine?) are much more "conspicuous" than the valid, but less central, assumptions about nonprescription competitors. And, your 4th paragraph almost hit the most important flaw--that "best-selling" is not "best!"--but ended up getting distracted by other medicine, and important but secondary concern.

Make sure you prioritize assumptions. Which assumptions hinge on which other assumptions, which are easily proved and which are completely unfounded? Explore the most important flaws first, and in more detail, to improve your scores!

Regards,


Thank you soo much for the review.. I will keep these points in mind and start writing few more essays.. One question.. Do i have to give examples for each assumption ??
Kaplan GMAT Instructor
User avatar
Joined: 25 Aug 2009
Posts: 635
Location: Cambridge, MA
Re: Analysis of Arguement - Please Review  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Aug 2012, 08:36
Desperate123 wrote:

Thank you soo much for the review.. I will keep these points in mind and start writing few more essays.. One question.. Do i have to give examples for each assumption ??

yes, this is a must! Every assumption needs examples of who it could be proven true or false--though they don't need to be real world examples, hypotheticals and what-ifs are fine too!
_________________

Eli Meyer
Kaplan Teacher
http://www.kaptest.com/GMAT

Prepare with Kaplan and save $150 on a course!

Image

Kaplan Reviews

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 02 Jul 2017
Posts: 15
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Analysis of Arguement - Please Review  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Dec 2017, 07:48
Can someone please review the essay and rate it on a scale of 6.
Thanks in advance.


The argument that people should choose Acid-Ease over Peptiacid for effective but milder non-prescription medication for the relief of excess stomach acid omits few important concerns that must be addressed to substantiate the argument. The statement that Doctors have written 76 million more prescriptions for full strength Acid-Ease than for full-strength Pepticaid does not alone constitute a logical support to the argument and certainly does not provide any proof to validate the argument.

First, the argument assumes that more the prescription of a drug, more the effectiveness of it. Here, the argument fails to provide any statistical evidence proving that prescription of any drug is only on account of the drug's effectiveness.The argument fails to consider a point that the 76 million prescriptions could be because of repetition of the prescriptions to the same patient rather to different patients. For example - there can be only 7.6 million different patients and each patient would have been prescribed the same drug 10 times, making the number to 76 million and at the same time the other drug i.e Peptiacid would have been subscribed to high number of individual patients and it is highly likely that Peptiacid is more popular.
Second, in a weak attempt to support its claim, the argument fails to consider the representation of the sample selected.For Example - if the drug prescribed is more available in a particular region and because of its availability the doctors could prescribe it rather because of the drug's effectiveness. Here, the argument mis-represents the comparison without providing any facts related to the supply and demand of the drug. The author also wrongly compares prescribed drugs to non-prescribed medication- on one side it stated that Doctors have prescribed Acid-ease more than they did for Peptiacid and the other side it suggests to choose Acid-Ease for non-prescription medication, this statement is flawed by itself.
Finally, the argument fails to consider the cost of the medicine. In case, the Acid-ease is cheaper but less effective than Peptiacid and hence could be one of the reasons for the doctors to suggest the same then choosing the Acid-ease may not solve the actual problem as the prescription would have been made based on cost rather on the effectiveness to cure the illness.

Because the argument leaves out several key issues it is not sound or persuasive. If the argument had mentioned the list of items as discussed in above passages instead of relying solely on one data factor, the argument would have been more thorough and convincing. As it stands, the argument is flawed.
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 02 Jul 2017
Posts: 15
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Analysis of Arguement - Please Review  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Dec 2017, 00:26
vijay527 wrote:
Can someone please review the essay and rate it on a scale of 6.
Thanks in advance.


The argument that people should choose Acid-Ease over Peptiacid for effective but milder non-prescription medication for the relief of excess stomach acid omits few important concerns that must be addressed to substantiate the argument. The statement that Doctors have written 76 million more prescriptions for full strength Acid-Ease than for full-strength Pepticaid does not alone constitute a logical support to the argument and certainly does not provide any proof to validate the argument.

First, the argument assumes that more the prescription of a drug, more the effectiveness of it. Here, the argument fails to provide any statistical evidence proving that prescription of any drug is only on account of the drug's effectiveness.The argument fails to consider a point that the 76 million prescriptions could be because of repetition of the prescriptions to the same patient rather to different patients. For example - there can be only 7.6 million different patients and each patient would have been prescribed the same drug 10 times, making the number to 76 million and at the same time the other drug i.e Peptiacid would have been subscribed to high number of individual patients and it is highly likely that Peptiacid is more popular.
Second, in a weak attempt to support its claim, the argument fails to consider the representation of the sample selected.For Example - if the drug prescribed is more available in a particular region and because of its availability the doctors could prescribe it rather because of the drug's effectiveness. Here, the argument mis-represents the comparison without providing any facts related to the supply and demand of the drug. The author also wrongly compares prescribed drugs to non-prescribed medication- on one side it stated that Doctors have prescribed Acid-ease more than they did for Peptiacid and the other side it suggests to choose Acid-Ease for non-prescription medication, this statement is flawed by itself.
Finally, the argument fails to consider the cost of the medicine. In case, the Acid-ease is cheaper but less effective than Peptiacid and hence could be one of the reasons for the doctors to suggest the same then choosing the Acid-ease may not solve the actual problem as the prescription would have been made based on cost rather on the effectiveness to cure the illness.

Because the argument leaves out several key issues it is not sound or persuasive. If the argument had mentioned the list of items as discussed in above passages instead of relying solely on one data factor, the argument would have been more thorough and convincing. As it stands, the argument is flawed.

Hey, can someone please help in rating the essay.
Thanks !

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
examPAL Representative
User avatar
B
Joined: 01 Mar 2017
Posts: 117
Re: Analysis of Arguement - Please Review  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Dec 2017, 06:44
Hey vijay527
I would probably give this essay around a 2.5 or a 3.
There are two main issues:
First - this won't be fun to hear, but the level of English isn't high enough. Some of the time this just makes the level lower, but some of the time it actually interferes with meaning. For example, you say that the argument "omits few important concerns", when actually you mean it omits a few important concerns - a small difference which gives a completely opposite meaning,
Second - the critiques you point out are not the central ones, and are not especially successful.
The first point, about individual patients versus repeat patients, is a weak one. First of all, it stands to reason that people who buy more medicine care more about what it is, and thus it is not convincing to say they must be counted the same way as single-time buyers. But more to the point - you have no evidence to even suggest this is the case, and thus this is purely speculative.

The second critique, about different regions, is also a poor way to attack the argument - so what if it's popularity is spread out in different places? Unless you have reason to believe that what is relevant to the health of people in one are is not relevant to those in another (and you don't), this doesn't help your case at all. And again, this is complete speculation.

It seems to me you are focused on arguing with the facts given (which we shouldn't do - facts are facts) and not with the logical conclusion drawn from it (which we absolutely should). The absolute most significant flaw in the argument, which you mention briefly at the end of the third paragraph - is that it's unclear you can infer anything about the non-prescription medication from data about the stronger, prescription version. This should not be at the end of a paragraph, but should have a paragraph of it's own.

The final point about cost is also not a good one - the argument is not about which is purely the best medicine, but which SHOULD be prescribed. Thus, cost is a totally legitimate factor to consider, and this is not a successful critique. It's crucial to focus on exactly the claim being made...

Hope this helps.
_________________

Dave Green
Senior tutor at examPAL
Signup for a free GMAT course
Image
Image

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 02 Jul 2017
Posts: 15
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Analysis of Arguement - Please Review  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Dec 2017, 23:06
Hey DAVEexamPAL, Thanks for the Valuable feedback. It was indeed a wake up call for me.
I will work upon the content and the grammar in the next essays.
Thanks !

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 27 Dec 2017
Posts: 27
Re: Analysis of Arguement - Please Review  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Dec 2017, 00:03
1
please review

The argument that people who need an effective but milder nonprescription medication for the relief of excess stomach acid should choose Acid-Ease omits several key issues that must be addressed in order to substantiate the argument. The description that follows Doctors have written 76 million more prescriptions for full-strength Acid-Ease than for full-strength Peptic aid. This alone does not logically constitute in favor of the argument. It certainly does not provide support or proof to complete the argument.
Most conspicuously, the argument does not mention the chemical and physical difference between Two of today’s best-selling brands of full-strength prescription medication for the relief of excess stomach acid, Acid-Ease and Pepticaid. First,the argument assumes that no of prescription written by the doctor make the medication effective. In a weak attempt to support the claim it mentions more prescriptions were written for full-strength Acid-Ease than for full-strength Pepticaid.
Second the argument assumes that full-strength prescription medication for the relief of excess stomach acid, Acid-Ease and Pepticaid can be given to So people who need an effective but milder nonprescription medication for the relief of excess stomach acid.
Finally the argument generalize the use of full-strength prescription medication and does not consider the patient case history and other factors for providing patient specific the medication.
Also the argument does not consider the other for of treatment such as Ayurvedic ,Unani and homeopathic before stating that people who need an effective but milder nonprescription medication for the relief of excess stomach acid should choose Acid-Ease.
Because the argument does not mentions several key points , it is not sound or persuasive. If the argument have consider the items stated above, it would have been more persuasive and thorough
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Analysis of Arguement - Please Review &nbs [#permalink] 28 Dec 2017, 00:03
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Analysis of Arguement - Please Review

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.