GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 18 Jun 2018, 15:43

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Analyst: The pace of technological development brings a

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Expert Post
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
G
Re: Analyst: The pace of technological development brings a [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Aug 2015, 13:39
dina98 wrote:
How does B support the analyst's assertion?

Dear dina98,
I'm happy to respond. :-) Remember, my friend, that there are many ways to strengthen and support an argument. Here's the question again:
Analyst: The pace of technological development brings a constant stream of new devices to the market, and many of them enjoy commercial success. But announcing new technology too soon after the introduction of a successful device can backfire. Once consumers hear about the new device, they may stop buying the one currently on sale. So, if a company wishes to announce the upcoming sale of a new device, it should wait until purchases of the old device have begun to decline.

Which of the following, if true, would best support the analyst's main assertion?

(A) New technology often becomes less expensive after an initial surge in sales.
(B) Media outlets, such as television programs and magazines, often report on the planned introduction of new devices while the sales of old devices are still strong.
(C) Many consumers are unable to determine whether new technology is superior to current technology.
(D) Surveys have shown that some consumers make only one or two technology purchases per year, whereas others make more frequent purchases.
(E) Consumers tend to be loyal to technology companies whose products they enjoy using.

So, the analyst describes a problem and proposes a solution to the problem. Choice (B) doesn't really say anything about the solution that the analyst proposed, but it definitely amplifies the problem described. We want something that supports "the analyst's main assertion." What is the analysts main assertion? Well, the analyst spend two sentence describing the problem and only one describing the solution, so the existence of the problem seems to be the analyst's main assertion. Main assertion = problem exists, and (B) makes very clear why it's a problem.

Remember that the speaker's main point is not always the final line of the argument. It is not always the case that, in a strengthener, you are automatically strengthening the last line only. See this blog.
http://magoosh.com/gmat/2013/gmat-cr-st ... -argument/

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire. — William Butler Yeats (1865 – 1939)

Magoosh Discount CodesEconomist GMAT Tutor Discount CodesJamboree Discount Codes
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
G

Show Tags

New post 24 Aug 2015, 10:25
dina98 wrote:
But B is not really stating the problem, is it? It's just an observation that the media outlets announce at a particular time. And B doesn't condemn the media outlets reporting at that time either.

Dear Dina98,
I'm happy to respond. :-) My friend, this is the very difficult thing about GMAT CR: none of it is formulaic. In each GMAT CR question, you have to think critically about how things are related, and sometimes that's not obvious. This is always true in official questions, and here, MGMAT has written a very good one, as they often do.

Think carefully about the problem. Old device is selling well. New device is introduced, and thereby cuts into the sales of the old device. That's the core problem that the analyst raises. The analyst is arguing that this is really a problem.

Any fact that made the situation better would cast doubt on whether this so-called problem is really a problem. That would be a weakener. By contrast, any fact that makes the situation worse would leave no doubt that this problem really is a problem. That would be a strengthener.

Now, here's (B):
(B) Media outlets, such as television programs and magazines, often report on the planned introduction of new devices while the sales of old devices are still strong.
Think about this. Suppose the sales of the old device are still strong. Suppose the company foolishly launches the new device. Of course, of course, the media is going to be all over the newest and latest gadget. Media is doing nothing wrong: they are simply doing what they do. Notice, though, that this wildly enhances the problem. If we lived in some different world in which the media paid no attention to hot new devices, then maybe it would take folks a long time to discover the new device, and in the interim, sales of the old device could proceed unaffected. BUT, in our world, media jumps all over something new, so virtually as soon as the company releases the new device, everyone who doesn't live under a rock is made aware of the existence of this hot new device, and of course that popularity and attention drives sales of the new device, which adversely affect sales of the old device.

(B) by itself is not a problem at all. It's a purely factual statement. BUT, given the nature of the problem, (B) strongly enhances the problem. In other words, the analyst says that there's really a problem, and (B) strengthens that assertion.

This is precisely the kind of thinking you have to do on the GMAT CR: critical thinking about the implications of statements, because in a good CR question, the connections will not be obvious on the surface. Correct answers on the CR often are designed to look irrelevant at first glance, and it's only when we think about all the implications that we see the connections.

This is also a CR question in which having a good sense of the business world will help you. See this blog:
http://magoosh.com/gmat/2014/gmat-criti ... knowledge/

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire. — William Butler Yeats (1865 – 1939)

Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 540 Q39 V26
GMAT 2: 680 Q46 V37
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 09 Oct 2015, 05:37
jlgdr I doubt if you would still need this but here's my thought to why the answer should be B and not E/

The main assertion is: But announcing new technology too soon after the introduction of a successful device can backfire. Once consumers hear about the new device, they may stop buying the one currently on sale

What is going to apprise people of this information? Media. And the word 'often' speaks of the frequency with which these reports would appear thereby hampering the current product line because people would start counting down to the launch of the next product (Oh Steve! What have you done!)

However, E says the folks are going to be loyal. That means, they are going to buy the new product certainly, without a doubt not chicken out on the company they idolize so much But but the assertion is about the failure of an existing product line, not of the company. The company, if it were to have a big loyal consumer base, would still continue profitability with the newer product, but would have killed its predecessor.

Hope that helps!

And, I take the thanks you gave in advance :)

I heard someone's waiting with Kudos :P

Fais de ta vie un rêve et d'un rêve une réalité

Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: General Management, Leadership
Schools: LBS
GPA: 3.82
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 16 Nov 2015, 04:56
akadmin wrote:
jlgdr wrote:
Still waitin' for MGMAT expert to come and solve this. Not convinced at ALL

Kudos are waitin' too
Cheers!
J :)

MGMAT experts kindly reply , I dont see how B is the answer

Here's my take

Flow of logic :
Consumers hear about new d -> may stop buying active device ->
(Conclusion) Hence , withhold announcements until active device sales decline
a) irrelevant
b) Consumers hear about planned introductions through media while old sales are strong. It supports the logic flow ;
c) Irrelevant
d) The number of purchases or frequency of purchases can actually weaken in some cases when consumers buy an old device and a new device , without having to STOP buying the old device .
e) Consumers tend to be loyal to the companies : so if the new device is announced from the same company – the consumers can either stick to the old device or switch to the new device , either way they’re being loyal to the company (by not switching to a different company altogether ) .I thought this choice will have no impact on the conclusion.

--

Consider +1 Kudos if you find my post useful

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 24 Feb 2016, 10:27
Analyst: The pace of technological development brings a constant stream of new devices to the market, and many of them enjoy commercial success. But announcing new technology too soon after the introduction of a successful device can backfire. Once consumers hear about the new device, they may stop buying the one currently on sale. So, if a company wishes to announce the upcoming sale of a new device, it should wait until purchases of the old device have begun to decline.

Which of the following, if true, would best support the analyst's main assertion?

a) New technology often becomes less expensive after an initial surge in sales.

b) Media outlets, such as television programs and magazines, often report on the planned introduction of new devices while the sales of old devices are still strong.

c) Many consumers are unable to determine whether new technology is superior to current technology.

d) Surveys have shown that some consumers make only one or two technology purchases per year, whereas others make more frequent purchases.

e) Consumers tend to be loyal to technology companies whose products they enjoy using

The correct answer is B.

I don't understand Manhattan's explanation, since I am asked to find a statement which supports the main assertion, which is that the announce of new technology results in decline of sales in old devices. My first guess was D), since I thought if consumers do not buy devices very often, they will either wait for the new technology or not buy a new one in case they have already bought an old device.
Can anyone help, please?
Board of Directors
G
GPA: 3.5
WE: Business Development (Commercial Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 24 Feb 2016, 12:48
nilem94 wrote:

b) Media outlets, such as television programs and magazines, often report on the planned introduction of new devices while the sales of old devices are still strong.

c) Many consumers are unable to determine whether new technology is superior to current technology.

d) Surveys have shown that some consumers make only one or two technology purchases per year, whereas others make more frequent purchases.

e) Consumers tend to be loyal to technology companies whose products they enjoy using

The correct answer is B.

I don't understand Manhattan's explanation, since I am asked to find a statement which supports the main assertion, which is that the announce of new technology results in decline of sales in old devices. My first guess was D), since I thought if consumers do not buy devices very often, they will either wait for the new technology or not buy a new one in case they have already bought an old device.
Can anyone help, please?

Please use spoilers ( As I have done ) to hide the answer and your explanations, in that way people will be able to solve the problem and guide you better , besides posting the answer after the question spoils the game, anyways welcome to GMATCLUB.

Lets try ,the options -

Cost is not the consideration for this question, the stimulus talks about sales of new technology after announcing a new technology

If consumers are unable to determine whether new technology is superior /inferior they will not differentiate between purchase of old technology and new technology.

Ok, now tell me how much does some represents ?

Some can be any number/percentage from 1 - 100 ( out of 100), thus the other ( as in this case )will depend entirely on the value of some.

1. Some = 99 , Others =1
2. Some = 10 , Others = 90

Now reconstruct the sentence -

1. Surveys have shown that 99 consumers make only one or two technology purchases per year, whereas 1 customer make more frequent purchases.

This means if a consumer is aware of a new technology 99 consumers will wait for the new technology to come before making the purchase decision.

2. Surveys have shown that 1 consumer make only one or two technology purchases per year, whereas 99 customers make more frequent purchases.

If consumers make frequent purchases they will have no time to wait for the new technology thus announcement of new technology will not reduce sale of old technology products.

Loyalty to Tech companies is not under consideration, we are talking about new technology products.

This sentence tells us that if Tech companies advertise about new technology while the sale of old devices are still strong then it can adversely affect sales of old Technology products.

Thus out of the given options and through elimination process only (B) remains.

Thanks and Regards

Abhishek....

PLEASE FOLLOW THE RULES FOR POSTING IN QA AND VA FORUM AND USE SEARCH FUNCTION BEFORE POSTING NEW QUESTIONS

How to use Search Function in GMAT Club | Rules for Posting in QA forum | Writing Mathematical Formulas |Rules for Posting in VA forum | Request Expert's Reply ( VA Forum Only )

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 21 Mar 2016, 07:21
This is really very difficult question. I was somehow able to arrive at the right answer, primarily by process of elimination, but still not very convinced that option B is a right answer. Actually I think that option B is more appropriately an assumption, because it is basically exploiting the gap that currently exists between "announcement of the new technology" by the company and its ultimate "reach to the consumers". So, the assumption clearly is that just the mere act of "announcement" of the new technology by the company does not mean that the potential customers will hear that announcement.

It is actually the media outlets such as a television programs and the magazines that ultimately carry that announcement to the final consumers. But then, I am able to arrive at all this logic only after I know what's the correct option. Overall, a really difficult question.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Leadership, Marketing
GPA: 3.8

Show Tags

New post 02 Sep 2016, 09:26
Once the media makes an announcement about the new technology or new product launch. The consumers tends to hold back on their purchasing decision and waits until the new product hits the market. This dampens sales for the otherwise strong product.
SO answer B supports the conclusion the best
Hope this helps
Manager
Manager
S
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Copenhagen, ESMT"19
GPA: 3.75
WE: Consulting (Energy and Utilities)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 07 May 2017, 21:46
So, if a company wishes to announce the upcoming sale of a new device, it should wait until purchases of the old device have begun to decline.

Suppose company announces the new launch then media will advertise the launch of new product which will affect the decision of buyers. Because they will wait for the newer model to be launch which will eventually led sales of the old model to decline.

Re: Analyst: The pace of technological development brings a   [#permalink] 07 May 2017, 21:46

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   [ 49 posts ] 

Analyst: The pace of technological development brings a

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap