Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 08:30 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 08:30

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Difficulty: Sub 505 Levelx   Modifiersx                              
Show Tags
Hide Tags
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4653 [1]
Given Kudos: 629
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 88 [0]
Given Kudos: 43
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: Analysts blamed May's sluggish retail sales on unexciting merchandise [#permalink]
daagh wrote:
As I see the issue, as long as it does not start a sentence, the present participial, whether in the middle or at the end of a sentences, should fall in line with modifying the entire gist.
EG: The tribal of the pre-agro era who knew no other means of food preparation, hunting and eating the docile animals of the wild such as the cattle and other quadrupeds, resorted to controlled fires for cooking their staple diet.
Here the modifier - hunting and eating the docile animals of the wild such as the cattle and other quadrupeds-placed in the middle modifies not only the tribal but also their lack of knowledge of other means of food preparation. You might call it a noun phrase, but that modified part should carry the gist of the clause or phrase in toto.

My Question had one more point. Does "hunting and eatin....." always modifies "The tribal" or it can also modify "resorted to controll....". It may not make sense here.
Putting it in general, does participial phrase in the middle of a sentence modifies the preceding clause or a following clause? Getting my point? Because, I have seen examples( i don't have them now) where participial phrase modifies the following clause. Is there a standard rule? Or is it case dependent?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 43 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Re: Analysts blamed May's sluggish retail sales on unexciting merchandise [#permalink]
Hello
sayantanc2k and
mikemcgarry

Please help, I have three doubts related to usage of which:
1) As in option A. can 'which' jump over a modifier phrase to modify a preceding noun? For instance, in option A. can which jump over the modifying phrase - 'colder and wetter than was usual in some regions' to modify 'weather'? If not in this sentence, do we ever get to see such a usage of 'which' from GMAT perspective?

2) Is 'slowing' in option B modifying the entire previous clause - 'which was colder and wetter than usual in some regions' or is it modifying 'weather'? Going by the rule that a verb-ing modifier, when used after a comma, attaches itself to the complete clause preceding the comma, I feel that 'slowing' is modifying the previous clause by attaching itself to 'which', and because 'which' further modifies 'weather', it gives a correct meaning.

3) Lastly, do you see 'slowing' in option B as a verb-ing modifier with comma? or a verb-ing modifier without a comma (as commas are actually used for the preceding modifier clause and we can omit the clause and sentence would still make sense --> Analysts blamed May's sluggish retail sales on unexciting merchandise as well as the weather *omit* slowing sales of barbecue grills and lawn furniture. ? By this , my intention is to understand if you see 'slowing' as a modifier to 'weather' used without a comma or as a modifier for previous dependent clause used with a comma.
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28569 [0]
Given Kudos: 130
Expert Reply
Norgay wrote:
Hello
sayantanc2k and
mikemcgarry

Please help, I have three doubts related to usage of which:
1) As in option A. can 'which' jump over a modifier phrase to modify a preceding noun? For instance, in option A. can which jump over the modifying phrase - 'colder and wetter than was usual in some regions' to modify 'weather'? If not in this sentence, do we ever get to see such a usage of 'which' from GMAT perspective?

2) Is 'slowing' in option B modifying the entire previous clause - 'which was colder and wetter than usual in some regions' or is it modifying 'weather'? Going by the rule that a verb-ing modifier, when used after a comma, attaches itself to the complete clause preceding the comma, I feel that 'slowing' is modifying the previous clause by attaching itself to 'which', and because 'which' further modifies 'weather', it gives a correct meaning.

3) Lastly, do you see 'slowing' in option B as a verb-ing modifier with comma? or a verb-ing modifier without a comma (as commas are actually used for the preceding modifier clause and we can omit the clause and sentence would still make sense --> Analysts blamed May's sluggish retail sales on unexciting merchandise as well as the weather *omit* slowing sales of barbecue grills and lawn furniture. ? By this , my intention is to understand if you see 'slowing' as a modifier to 'weather' used without a comma or as a modifier for previous dependent clause used with a comma.

Dear Norgay,

I'm happy to respond. :-) Thank you for writing such a thoughtful question. :-)

1) A "which" modifier can "jump over" a vital noun-modifier, which takes precedent over a "which" phrase. Here, in (A), the intervening phrase is not vital.

2) My friend, the terminology "verb-ing modifier" is sloppy and imprecise: please learn the word participle. In option (B), the participle "slowing" modifies the action of the previous "which" clause. My friend, be highly suspicious about any "rule" about participles. Participles are incredibly flexible and can modify in an astonishing variety of ways. Any "rule" about them is virtually worthless.

3) Because the participle "slowing" is modifying the action of the previous phrase, it is acting as a verb-modifier, not a noun-modifier. Only noun-modifiers are subject to the Modifier Touch Rule. Verb modifiers are considerably freer in their placement.

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
Send PM
daagh mikemcgarry Sir, Although I do understand that B is the correct answer choice, I have couple of queries regarding the usage of "slowing", in particular, as follows:

1)How to determine whether "slowing" is a verb-ing modifier without a comma modifying the noun,"weather", from the main clause?
2)How to determine whether "slowing" is acting as a verb-ing modifier with a comma to modify the action in either the main clause or the relative clause?
("Analysts blame...." or "...was colder....")

(Reason for confusion: As per my understanding,slowing can be used to modify either the action in the main clause/relative clause or the noun "weather" and each type of modification is presenting a relevant meaning)

Please share your views.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63654 [0]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
A question from our sentence correction "ask me anything" thread:

Hoozan wrote:
113. Analysts blamed May’s sluggish retail sales on unexciting merchandise as well as the weather, colder and wetter than was usual in some regions, which slowed sales of barbecue grills and lawn furniture.
(A) colder and wetter than was usual in some regions, which slowed
(B) which was colder and wetter than usual in some regions, slowing
(C) since it was colder and wetter than usually in some regions, which slowed
(D) being colder and wetter than usually in some regions, slowing
(E) having been colder and wetter than was usual in some regions and slowed

I chose choice B. However it took me too much time to select B cause I was confused with the usage of ,slowing

COMMA + VERB-ing is used to show some result of an action or describe the action. Please could you highlight the action which it is modifying? Also please could you highlight the doer of the modified action and that of the modifier (slowing). Since in a verb-ing modifier the doer of both the action (the modified and the modifier action is the same) I was unable to find the doer of the two

Here’s the whole sentence, with (B) inserted… and the key phrase in bold:

Quote:
Analysts blamed May’s sluggish retail sales on unexciting merchandise as well as the weather, which was colder and wetter than usual in some regions, slowing sales of barbecue grills and lawn furniture.

So “the weather… was colder and wetter than usual in some regions”, right? And the result of this phrase (technically a state of being, and not an action) is that sales of grills and lawn furniture slowed.

It sounds like you might be overthinking the “doer of the action” thing. In this case, “slowing sales of barbecue grills and lawn furniture” very reasonably gives us extra information about the clause “the weather… was colder and wetter than usual.” Did the weather “do” the action of slowing sales? Not exactly. But it still makes perfect sense, right?

I hope this helps!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 87 [0]
Given Kudos: 297
GMAT 1: 650 Q44 V35
Send PM
Hi Experts,
I eliminated B as I thought that ',slowing' is incorrectly modifying 'Analyst blamed'. I am a bit confused not, please put some light!!!
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63654 [0]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Mck2023 wrote:
Hi Experts,
I eliminated B as I thought that ',slowing' is incorrectly modifying 'Analyst blamed'. I am a bit confused not, please put some light!!!

In this case, "slowing sales," follows the clause, "which was colder and wetter than usual in some regions." And that makes sense -- the slowing sales were a consequence of the nasty weather, so the -ing modifier logically describes the previous clause, functioning exactly the way we want it to.

People tend to get into trouble here when they imagine that because the "which" clause is itself a modifier, we need to apply the "-ing" modifier to the original clause, "Analysts blamed." But there's no reason that one clause can't modify another, and that's the construction we have in this sentence.

I hope that clears things up!
LBS Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 775 [0]
Given Kudos: 1577
Send PM
OE:
Logical predication; Diction
The sentence must clearly indicate that the inclement weather had
slowed retail sales. Relative pronouns, such as which, should follow as
closely as possible the nouns to which they refer. The adjective usual,
rather than the adverb usually, is required when modifying a noun. The
phrase wetter than usual is correct and concise.
A. The insertion of was is unnecessary and misleading. The referent of
which is unclear, because regions, not weather, is the nearest noun.
B. Correct. This sentence is concise, correct, and idiomatic, and which
has a clear referent, the weather.
C. With the linking verb was, the adjective usual is needed in place of
the adverb usually. The referent of which is unclear because
regions, not weather, is the nearest noun.
D. This construction is unclear and can be seen as unintentionally
indicating that the analysts were colder and wetter. The adjective
usual should be used instead of the adverb usually to modify the
noun weather.
E. This construction is unclear and can be seen as unintentionally
indicating that the analysts were colder and wetter. The insertion of
was is unnecessary and misleading.
The correct answer is B.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 192
GPA: 3.1
Send PM
I understand that the correct option is B.
Can you please explain what exactly is modified by the comma + verb-ing modifier "slowing..."?
Does it make sense with the subject or just provides additional information about both the things-weather and unexciting merchandise?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Given Kudos: 496
Send PM
Analysts blamed May's sluggish retail sales on unexciting merchandise [#permalink]
GMATNinja KarishmaB

(D) being colder and wetter than usually in some regions, slowing
Why D is incorrect?
Why "being" usage is incorrect. I understand that "being" states temporary condition. How to use this info to reject D?

(E) having been colder and wetter than was usual in some regions and slowed
"Having been" also tells us sequence of events. Can we reject E bcz sentence doesn't require any sequencing? (Having been colder, Analyst blame...)
or "having been..." can't be parallel to "slowed"
Thank you for your help!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
GRE 1: Q135 V135
Send PM
B) which was colder and wetter than usual in some regions, slowing

in option B I have a doubt with what "slowing" is modifying here.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 84 [0]
Given Kudos: 147
Send PM
dear avigutman, AndrewN,MartyTargetTestPrep , RonTargetTestPrep,

how can I distinguish. B and D ?

I picked up D because "usually".
the weather is colder and wetter than (the weather) usually was. -- seems to compare the status of this weather with what weather usually is,
while in B
the weather is colder and weather than the usual weather was.-- seems to compare weather with the usual weather

please elaborate.

thanks in advance
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 262
Send PM
Why can't "which" refer to "unexciting merch as well as the weather"?

I eliminated A and C because of "which" making the last sentence an unessential modifier.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 1304 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
Analysts blamed May's sluggish retail sales on unexciting merchandise [#permalink]
rishabhchats wrote:
Why can't "which" refer to "unexciting merch as well as the weather"?

I eliminated A and C because of "which" making the last sentence an unessential modifier.

in some regions, which slowed

One reason is the potential ambiguity. Does the WHICH refer to these REGIONS, for example.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 262
Send PM
AjiteshArun wrote:
rishabhchats wrote:

Hi rishabhchats,

It may not be a good idea to take an option out just because it includes a nonessential modifier. Is there a specific rule that you're trying to apply here?

I think it was something I read while going through Magoosh's material regarding the use of "which" and "that". So was trying to decode the sentence from a meaning POV.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 38
Send PM
Analysts blamed May's sluggish retail sales on unexciting merchandise as well as the weather, colder and wetter than was usual in some regions, which slowed sales of barbecue grills and lawn furniture.

This question is a very good example of when to use "which" in GMAT sentence correction.

considering the statement above colder and wetter than was usual in some (regions), <-- (which).

regions<--which (which always refers to the previous word).

which modifies regions, but read the question carefully does the statement wants to modify the regions which slowed down the sales of barbecue grills and lawn furniture. No, It wants to modify May's sluggish retail sales on unexciting merchandise as well as the weather resulting in slowed sales.

(B) which was colder and wetter than usual in some regions, slowing

Now, let's use the concept we learned and see why option (B) is the correct answer.

Analysts blamed May's sluggish retail sales on unexciting merchandise as well as the (weather), <-- (which) was colder and wetter than usual in some regions, (slowing).......

here which modifies weather. (Based on the concept we learned that which always refers to the previous word and modify it). Since, the statement modifies only weather which is colder and wetter than usual.

The second problem this question challenges you on is modifiers. Instead of which using (slowing) modifies entire Statement (Analysts blamed May's sluggish retail sales on unexciting merchandise as well as the weather. Hence the entire statement makes sense.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2 
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts