It is currently 21 Sep 2017, 16:23

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Analyzing campaign expenditures, the media has had as a focus the high

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 77

Re: Analyzing campaign expenditures, the media has had as a focus the high [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Feb 2014, 07:54
sivasanjeev wrote:
samsmalldog wrote:
Thanks pal,I read your post before,C is the best choice here but I still wondering whether media should be plural. One of the rule in GMAT is that such word is considered to be singular,but in this sentence, we have no choice.

Well buddy, GMAT is not an exam based on rules alone. GMAT is about logic or your understanding (within the framework or the context of the question stem)

read this, http://www.grammarphobia.com/blog/2007/ ... lural.html
Whether 'media' is singular or plural is highly inconclusive, better worry about the context than wrestling over the word (in true sense)

Thanks,you are right :)

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 77

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 143 [0], given: 70

Concentration: Operations, Human Resources
Schools: XLRI GM"18
GPA: 4
WE: Human Resources (Human Resources)
Re: Analyzing campaign expenditures, the media has had as a focus the high [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Feb 2014, 08:32
Analyzing campaign expenditures, the media has had as a focus the high costs and low ethics of campaign finance, but they have generally overlooked the cost of actually administering elections, which includes facilities, transport, printing, staffing, and technology.

A. Analyzing campaign expenditures, the media has had as a focus
B. Analyses of campaign expenditures by the media has been focus on
C. In analyzing campaign expenditures, the media have focused on....APPEARS CORRECT.... EXCEPT FOR THE " HAVE"......
D.Media analysesof campaign expenditureshave hadas a focus
E. In their analysis of campaign expenditures, the media has been focusing on

Kudos [?]: 143 [0], given: 70

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 67

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 22 May 2014, 09:19
Hi,

I have confusion here is the 'Media' acting as singular or plural noun?
Please help me with this.

Thanks

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 67

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 26

Schools: ISB '16

Show Tags

New post 22 May 2014, 16:43
'media' is plural here.

this can be ascertained from the non-underlined portion of the sentence.

....but THEY have generally....

here THEY refers to media hence we can say 'media' is to be taken as plural in this sentence

Hope this helps

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 26

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 66

Schools: IIMA
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 30 Sep 2014, 02:56
Analyzing campaign expenditures, the media has had as a focus the high costs and low
ethics of campaign finance, but they have generally overlooked the cost of actually
administering elections, which includes facilities, transport, printing, staffing, and
technology.

C. In analyzing campaign expenditures, the media have focused on
D. Media analyses of campaign expenditures have had as a focus

Indeed a good question, I was confused to use has/have but look non underlined part where they is used for media :) solved my confusion and reached answer as C.

If you are not over prepared then you are under prepared !!!

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 66

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Kudos [?]: 253 [0], given: 0

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 29 Oct 2015, 22:33
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 11

Show Tags

New post 30 Oct 2015, 00:36
forevertfc wrote:
Media can very well be either singular or plural.

That's possible, but here, it is clearly plural because the non-underlined portion has a "they" for media: "they have generally overlooked the cost of actually".

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 11

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 72

Show Tags

New post 17 Sep 2016, 08:24
That was pretty cool...
Initially, I missed the hint..though :?

AdamKnewton wrote:
I think what's cool about this question is you don't need to be 100% certain of has/have to be tempted by the right answer. The modifying clause at the beginning is made clearer, and the main verb is simplified. Stylistically, it's a much better choice.

Here's a hint on how to be sure about whether "media" is singular/plural: Do you see another singular/plural world, in the non-underlined portion of the sentence, that tells us the number of "media" as used here?

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 72

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 19 Sep 2016, 16:09
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 11

GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V33
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 07 Nov 2016, 12:59
Hi All,

Nice discussion.

Can anyone clearly refer why the option D is wrong...I have seen in few places the structure D (by elimination - tough GMAT questions) to be correct.

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 11

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 33

Show Tags

New post 06 Jan 2017, 21:32
Without making it complicated, look for parallelism.
Consider the highlighted part,

Analyzing campaign expenditures, the media has had as a focus the high costs and low
ethics of campaign finance, but they have generally overlooked the cost of actually
administering elections, which includes facilities, transport, printing, staffing, and
technology.

This clearly suggests that to maintain the parallelism, we need "verb-ed" form, which is there only for option (c).

Ans : C

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 33

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V38
GMAT 2: 690 Q49 V35
WE: Corporate Finance (Manufacturing)

Show Tags

New post 22 Mar 2017, 08:51
A) Analyzing campaign expenditures, the media has had as a focus..., BUT they have generally overlooked...
--> The media has a singular verb, but in the second part of the phrase they refers to the media and is plural, so A is out

B) Analyses of campaign expenditures by the media has been focused on..., BUT they have generally overlooked
--> Analyses...has been focused on..., but they...
--> Analyses is plural and requires a plural verb, so B is out

C) In analyzing campaign expenditures, the media have focused on..., BUT they have generally overlooked...
--> the media have focused on X, but they have overlooked Y is perfectly parallel
--> the language is clear and concise
--> CORRECT

D) Media analyses of campaign expenditures have had as a focus..., BUT they have generally overlooked...
--> Two parts are also parallel
--> Have had as a focus X and Y... is a bit awkward; media analyses have focused on X and Y is more eloquent

E) In their analyses of campaign expenditures, the media has been focusing on...
--> Their is plural and refers to media, but media has a singular verb, so E is out

A, B and E can be eliminated easily.
When you need to chose between C and D go for the most elegant/eloquent version

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 72 [0], given: 18

WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 22 Mar 2017, 11:03
technology.

The usage of have is correct because the media is considered as plural in the non undelined part of the sentence.
A:has had as a focus is complex.
B:has been focus on is wrong, if it was past tense the focused was the right word.
D:have had as a focus is complex an unnecesary
E:has been focusing i sthe improper use of tense in the sentence

Kudos [?]: 72 [0], given: 18

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 122

Concentration: Nonprofit, International Business
Schools: Cambridge"19 (S)
GMAT 1: 710 Q46 V41
GMAT 2: 720 Q48 V40
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 08 May 2017, 20:29
AdamKnewton wrote:
I think what's cool about this question is you don't need to be 100% certain of has/have to be tempted by the right answer. The modifying clause at the beginning is made clearer, and the main verb is simplified. Stylistically, it's a much better choice.

Here's a hint on how to be sure about whether "media" is singular/plural: Do you see another singular/plural world, in the non-underlined portion of the sentence, that tells us the number of "media" as used here?

Collective nouns are typically singular on the GMAT; HOWEVER, in this case "the media" is treated as plural:

technology.

So, we know that the correct choice must treat "the media" as plural. C.

Do you agree Adam?

Manager
Manager
B

Concentration: Nonprofit, International Business
Schools: Cambridge"19 (S)
GMAT 1: 710 Q46 V41
GMAT 2: 720 Q48 V40
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 08 May 2017, 20:51
ankitmining wrote:
Hi All,

Nice discussion.

Can anyone clearly refer why the option D is wrong...I have seen in few places the structure D (by elimination - tough GMAT questions) to be correct.

It's a tough one but D is out for the following reasons:

- Complex/wordy
- It makes more sense for the"media" to have overlooked something than for the "analyses" to have overlooked something.

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 20

Show Tags

New post 25 Jun 2017, 19:05
ajit257 wrote:
technology.

I am confused between the usage of has or have
Will provide OA later

A. "Media" is plural, yet the verb is singular.
B. "Media" is plural, yet the verb is singular.
C. Correct.
D. The past perfect verb tense is incorrect--we are not emphasizing the order of past events. The two verbs occurred at the same time.
E. "Media" is plural, yet the verb is singular.

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 20

VP
VP
G

Kudos [?]: 53 [0], given: 499

Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V36
GRE 1: 314 Q157 V157
GPA: 3.4
WE: Manufacturing and Production (Manufacturing)

Show Tags

New post 26 Jun 2017, 07:30
Imo C
Correct idiom should be focus on or when used as an object the focus of
The original sentence is awkward and has a wordy construction .
Option C removes this mistake

We are more often frightened than hurt; and we suffer more from imagination than from reality

VP
VP
G

Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V36
GRE 1: 314 Q157 V157
GPA: 3.4
WE: Manufacturing and Production (Manufacturing)

Show Tags

New post 26 Jun 2017, 07:32
Lets analyze option D
as a focus i wrong it should be focus on

We are more often frightened than hurt; and we suffer more from imagination than from reality

VP
VP
P

Kudos [?]: 1049 [0], given: 375

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 30 Aug 2017, 08:34
Analyzing campaign expenditures, the media has had as a focus the high costs and low ethics of campaign finance, but they have generally overlooked the cost of actually administering elections, which includes facilities, transport, printing, staffing, and technology.

"Be challenged at EVERY MOMENT."

“Strength doesn’t come from what you can do. It comes from overcoming the things you once thought you couldn’t.”

"Each stage of the journey is crucial to attaining new heights of knowledge."

Rules for posting in verbal forum | Please DO NOT post short answer in your post!

Kudos [?]: 1049 [0], given: 375

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 17

Schools: ISB '19, IIMA , IIMB
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V30

Show Tags

New post 31 Aug 2017, 08:49

(A) Analyzing campaign expenditures, the media has had as a focus
Media(plural) has ; sv error : Incorrect

(B) Analyses of campaign expenditures by the media has been focus on
(C) In analyzing campaign expenditures, the media have focused on
Correct
(D) Media analyses of campaign expenditures have had as a focus
Incorrect
(E) In their analysis of campaign expenditures, the media has been focusing on

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 17

Re: Analyzing campaign expenditures, the media has had as a focus the high   [#permalink] 31 Aug 2017, 08:49

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4    Next  [ 62 posts ]