It is currently 23 Oct 2017, 14:14

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Animals which were originally feral, such as dogs, horses,

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 184 [0], given: 623

Concentration: General Management, Finance
Schools: Mannheim
GMAT 1: 560 Q46 V22
GPA: 3.1
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Animals which were originally feral, such as dogs, horses, [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Jun 2014, 11:13
ts2014 wrote:
OA again please. it is a difficult question, and it helps to understand the right choice pls.

HELLO...THOUGH I SELECTED E HERE,I AM WONDERING-

IN THE ORIGINAL SENTENCE,IT USES PRESENT PERFECT TENSE..SO IT MEANS THAT ACTION IS STILL CONTINUING,HOWEVER IN REAL WORLD THAT ACTION HAS FINISHED WAY BACK...SO DO WE HAVE TO RELATE SENTENCE CORRECTION QUESTIONS WITH REAL WORLD OR DO V HAVE TO CONSIDER THE MEANING INTENDED BY THE ORIGINAL SENTENCE..!

I HAV COME ACCROSS THIS QUESTION MANY TIMES NOW SO FELT THE NEED TO ASK.. :)

ITS NOT OVER , UNTIL I WIN ! I CAN, AND I WILL .PERIOD.

Kudos [?]: 184 [0], given: 623

2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 172 [2], given: 75

GMAT 1: 650 Q50 V27
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Animals that were originally feral, such as dogs, horses, [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Aug 2015, 03:56
This post received
KUDOS
Animals that were originally feral, such as dogs, horses, and sheep, have been domesticated for the purpose of producing foods and goods, providing faster transportation, and serving as pets for amusement as early as the Stone Age.

A) Animals that were originally feral, such as dogs, horses, and sheep, have been domesticated >>> such as introducing examples for feral not for animals
B) Animals that used to be feral , such as dogs, horses, and sheep, have undergone domestication >>> active voice is wrong, were domesticated by human, again such as int. exp. for feral
C) Dogs, horses, and sheep are examples of animals that were originally feral and have since been domesticated >>> gives the meaning that domestication still continues, however it is done
D) Dogs, horses, and sheep are examples of animals that were originally feral and had undergone domestication >>> gives the meaning that domestication occurred prior to being feral
E) Dogs, horses, and sheep are examples of animals that were originally feral and were domesticated >>> meaning intact and grammatically past tense is accurate to apply.

Please kindly click on "+1 Kudos", if you think my post is useful

Kudos [?]: 172 [2], given: 75

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 55 [0], given: 44

WE: Consulting (Telecommunications)
GMAT ToolKit User
Animals which were originally feral, such as dogs, horses, [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Aug 2015, 15:21
bharatg wrote:
"as early as the Stone Age" at the end of the sentence. It doesn't make sense to say "have since been domesticated as early as the Stone Age," because "have...been domesticated" is a present perfect verb form, and you'd only use the present perfect to relate something to the present (as in "I am not (now) hungry, because I have eaten"). You couldn't use present perfect to situate the beginning of a process in the Stone Age. So we need to stick with the regular past ("were domesticated"). It works well to say "were domesticated as early as the Stone Age.

resource: http://www.beatthegmat.com/domestic-animals-t84974.html

Just for reference and benefit of people visiting this thread henceforth, I think there is nothing wrong with usage of present perfect tense here.

Have since been domesticated as early as stone age

she has been married since 1980

The problem could be of inconsistent tense usage. But I will leave that to the experts!

Edit:

I figured out what is wrong with C.

It is the placement of Since.

C nonsensically means that the animals were domesticated ever since they were feral (got nothing to do with stone ages I guess)

Kudos [?]: 55 [0], given: 44

Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator

Kudos [?]: 1816 [0], given: 302

Concentration: Economics, Finance
Schools: LBS MIF '19
WE: Asset Management (Investment Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 26 Sep 2015, 12:14
(1) Animals which were originally feral, such as dogs, horses, and sheep, have been domesticated
(2) Animals which used to be feral , such as dogs, horses, and sheep, have been domesticated
(3) Dogs, horses, and sheep are examples of animals which were originally feral and have since been domesticated
(4) Dogs, horses, and sheep are examples of animals which were originally feral and had been domesticated
(5) Dogs, horses, and sheep are examples of animals which were originally feral and were domesticated - Correct

I ruled out A & B first because they sounded redundant (Animals, such as, ... ) while E creates a very active and preferable tone with correct usage of the simple past.

Saving was yesterday, heat up the gmatclub.forum's sentiment by spending KUDOS!

PS Please send me PM if I do not respond to your question within 24 hours.

Kudos [?]: 1816 [0], given: 302

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Kudos [?]: 264 [0], given: 0

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 13 Sep 2016, 12:53
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Kudos [?]: 264 [0], given: 0

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 906

Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 620 Q50 V24
GRE 1: 314 Q167 V147
Animals that were originally feral, such as dogs, horses, [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Jan 2017, 03:30
Hi all,sayantanc2k
I couldn't figure out how could "E" be the correct answer. Isn't the given list of animals still be domesticated till now? The usage of past simple makes me think that the domestication is no more.

Also,choice E is a bit wordier. "are examples of animal.." vs "such as"
In my 2 cents,I think A is a better choice.

Could you please elaborate my reasoning?

Last edited by sleepynut on 09 Jan 2017, 08:16, edited 1 time in total.

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 906

Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Verbal Expert
S

Kudos [?]: 3327 [2], given: 22

Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 09 Jan 2017, 07:54
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
sleepynut wrote:
Hi all,sayantanc2k
I couldn't figure out how could "E" be the correct answer. Isn't the given list of animals still be domesticated till now? The usage of past simple makes me think that the domestication is no more.

Also,choice E is a bit wordier. "are examples of animal.." vs "such as"
In my 2 cents,I think A is a better choice.

Could be please elaborate my reasoning?

Your first point:
Here individual dogs, horses, or sheep are not considered - dogs, horses, and sheep refer to the respective species as a whole. The species were previously wild, but at some point in the past, they were domesticated. Now these animals are considered domestic animals. Hence simple past is alright.
(In case you consider individual animals: As soon as a individual dog is born, it is considered a domestic animal. )

Your second point:
"Animals such as dogs, horses, and sheep were originally feral" ... this is stylistically better than "Dogs, horses, and sheep are examples of animals that were..."

Kudos [?]: 3327 [2], given: 22

Retired Moderator
B

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 32

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 26 Aug 2017, 00:20
Merged topics. Please, search before posting questions!

Please Read: Verbal Posting Rules

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 32

Re: Animals which were originally feral, such as dogs, horses,   [#permalink] 26 Aug 2017, 00:20

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 28 posts ] 

Animals which were originally feral, such as dogs, horses,

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap