Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 07:30 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 07:30

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 66 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
Thanks. I'll definitely keep working on math problems from the OG. I also bought 2 of the MGMAT books, so hopefully those will help as well!

For the verbal.. which sections are you having trouble with?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
hi annh! [#permalink]
hi annh!
i tend to do ok on a practice test. scoring around 30..but really mess up on a real thing. can 't think clearly on a real exam.
what's wrong with me?

i guess i am having a bit of problem with all the three subverbal sections.
shoot!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hmmm, this might sound kind of strange, but I would practice reading off of the computer screen. I think it's a lot tougher to read on a PC as opposed to in a book. Practicing should increase your ability to focus on test day. Another suggestion is to memorize all of the GMAT idioms. That really helped me with sentence correction questions.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
hi AnnH,

I've just taken GMAT as well, got 580 Q47 V23. This was my second attempt as well from my last 610 Q47 V27. I was really down as well after learning that my socore went down after 2 month of intense prep in Verbal.

My advice for math is work with OG10 and focus specifically in the last 100 questions of both PS and DS sections. They are harder than the earlier ones. Same goes to OG11. I also found the math questions in Diagnostic test of OG11 quite good. Don't need to go for Kaplan math books. OG has well over 300 problems in each math sections and are quite representative.

I have the Manhattan math guide for Word Translation problems. This book is a good buy, since it also include probability, sets and stats. I wasn't sure about this guide in the begining, but after I read so many positive reviews in this fourm I was convinced. It is indeed a good guide.

Also, do you know which areas are you weak in? For me, after I did questions I found inequalities and absolute value problems are tricky. Then I just focused on those, and do other types of math problems once in a while.

How do you prepare for verbal? I've done hundreds of verbal questions and yet seeing any improvements :(

my story is also in
https://www.gmatclub.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=24769
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
Well, let's start with some diagnosis.

First, is English your primary language? This is important for how you will need to approach the whole Verbal arena. If English is your primary language, learn to relax and speak naturally in your writing. If English is not your primary language, then English is likely going to be counter-intuitive many times, and this will cause trouble.

Now, there are a lot of things about grammar and reading comprehension which would drive you crazy trying to remember them all, but there are a few basic rules of thumb:

* Generally, simpler is better. If you can't decide between two phrases to complete a sentence, the shorter one (if it still conveys the message) is usually the best choice.

* Essays get to the point fairly quickly. The writer will say most of what he means in the first and last sentences of the first paragraph. So, in reading comprehension, copy down the first and last sentence from the opening paragraph, and when you are in doubt, ask yourself which choice is in line with those statements.

* If a passage makes no sense, take a little more time and read it a bit at a time. Don't try to answer the question unless you are sure you know what is being asked, and what is the best answer.

* Just like the math questions, the earlier questions in Verbal matter more than later ones. Also, people tend to rush a bit, because all those words make people worry they will run out of time before they answer the whole section. You have more time than you may think!
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]
Moderator:
Founder
37306 posts