Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 12:24 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 12:24

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 4719 [175]
Given Kudos: 1
 Q49  V35
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42102 [33]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42102 [16]
Send PM
General Discussion
Veritas Prep Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 2945 [13]
Given Kudos: 63
Send PM
Re: Antarctica receives more solar radiation than does any other place on [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hello, everyone:

I'll take up the cause of "what does 'it' refer to in choice B" a little further. In B, not only does the pronoun "it" present a reference problem, but the phrase "were it to do so" also has no logical referent. Because we're already saying that "little polar ice melts", so "were it to do so" only confirms that, yes, it does melt...but we've already acknowledge that. Without a transition like "were MORE ice to melt", this phrase is illogical.

Interestingly, in Googling this question to see if I could find an official source for it, I've found an alternate version of choice B that begins:

were it NOT to do so

Even that seems dubious to me as that would also seem an illogical meaning (were little ice NOT to melt...), but the whole process makes me wonder a bit about the true wording of this question. B, as written, cannot be correct, but C doesn't look to be correct either (the "or else" is a bit of a run-on sentence). Does anyone have the original source on this one? Since there are a few versions of these answer choices out there, I wonder if the exact question is worded differently than we have it .
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Given Kudos: 62
Schools: ISB '17 (A)
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Re: Antarctica receives more solar radiation than does any other place on [#permalink]
OptimusPrepJanielle wrote:
Antarctica receives more solar radiation than does any other place on Earth, yet the temperatures are so cold and the ice cap is reflective, so that little polar ice melts during the summer; otherwise, the water levels of the oceans would rise 250 feet and engulf most of the world’s great cities.
A. is reflective, so that little polar ice melts during the summer; otherwise, The idiom is so (adj)..that
B. is so reflective that little of the polar ice melts during the summer; were it to do so,
C. so reflective that little polar ice melts during the summer, or else "or else" isn't appropriate
D. reflective, so that little of the polar ice melts during the summer, or The idiom is so (adj)..that, "or" isn't appropriate
E. reflects so that little of the polar ice melts during the summer; if it did changes the meaning of the original sentence

In my opinion, the part after the semicolon needs to be a contrast. Were it to do so here seems to stand for little melting of the polar ice, that is currently happening.

Were it to do so is hypothetical subjunctive and should represent something that isn't happening or may happen. 'Do so' should be replaced with 'not to do so'. It would then mean that a lot of ice is melting. This is what would lead to increase in the water level.

That is why i believe A is a better choicechoice as the other options defy parallelism.

Please share your thoughts.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42102 [5]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
I think the contrast is in - built in B; the use of the negative term ‘little’ is critical here. The choice means that very little or no ice melts in summer. If it were to melt, (to do so, means ‘to melt’ and not “not to melt”), then the water levels will rise.
Does it help?
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [0]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Expert Reply
In B, the portion of the sentence after the semicolon, frankly makes it quite a tough choice. I don't recollect seeing a similar structure on an official question (is it really GMATPrep?)

rishabchoraria wrote:
That is why i believe A is a better choicechoice as the other options defy parallelism.

The meaning that A depicts is a bit strange because of the presence of so that, which basically means in order to (showing intent).

So, A would suggest that intentionally (by nature's design??) temperatures are so cold and the ice cap is reflective in order to limit the melting of polar ice during the summer.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 293 [1]
Given Kudos: 59
GMAT 1: 640 Q47 V31
GPA: 3.82
Send PM
Kudos
varadmaheshwari wrote:
Antarctica receives more solar radiation than does any other place on Earth, yet the temperatures are so cold and the ice cap is reflective, so that little polar ice melts during the summer; otherwise, the water levels of the oceans would rise 250 feet and engulf most of the world’s great cities.
A. is reflective, so that little polar ice melts during the summer; otherwise,
B. is so reflective that little of the polar ice melts during the summer; were it to do so,
C. so reflective that little polar ice melts during the summer, or else
D. reflective, so that little of the polar ice melts during the summer, or
E. reflects so that little of the polar ice melts during the summer; if it did

I think there is another version of this question with the option B saying 'were it not to do so' rather than 'were it to do so' is that the correct version? I am really trying to make B make sense in my head but somehow I am still at lost at how 'were it to do so' fits here. If anyone could help!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 319
Send PM
Antarctica receives more solar radiation than does any other place on Earth, yet the temperatures are so cold and the ice cap is so reflective that little of the polar ice melts during the summer; were it to do so, the water levels of the oceans would rise 250 feet and engulf most of the world’s great cities.

I rejected B because "were it to do so" sounds like an independent clause itself while after comma " water levels ..... would rise..." sounds like another independent clause, isn't this a run on sentence error. Can someone please shed some light on this matter ?
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 5425 [2]
Given Kudos: 346
Send PM
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
ashikaverma13 wrote:
I think there is another version of this question with the option B saying 'were it not to do so' rather than 'were it to do so' is that the correct version? I am really trying to make B make sense in my head but somehow I am still at lost at how 'were it to do so' fits here. If anyone could help!

MadaraU wrote:
Antarctica receives more solar radiation than does any other place on Earth, yet the temperatures are so cold and the ice cap is so reflective that little of the polar ice melts during the summer; were it to do so, the water levels of the oceans would rise 250 feet and engulf most of the world’s great cities.

I rejected B because "were it to do so" sounds like an independent clause itself while after comma " water levels ..... would rise..." sounds like another independent clause, isn't this a run on sentence error. Can someone please shed some light on this matter ?

AbhinavBankhwal wrote:
Going by the definition, a sentence after semi colon should be an independent clause. However in option B, I do not see the same happening. Part after the semi colon does not look like an independent clause. Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

Hi ashikaverma13 / MadaraU / AbhinavBankhwal ,

Let me help you guys. :)

I know this question is a bit weird but this is how it is.

"Were it to do so, the water levels would rise... " construction is very similar to If I were to change my childhood, I would have not become an Indian IT Male. :P

Do you see what I am trying to convey?

This construction shows hypothetical case and has been used correctly in option B.

Let me know in case of any concern. I am happy to help. :)
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 566 [1]
Given Kudos: 164
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3
WE:Project Management (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Kudos

(A) is reflective, so that little polar ice melts during the summer; otherwise, so is req before reflective to maintain //

(B) is so reflective that little of the polar ice melts during the summer; were it to do so, Correct

(C) so reflective that little polar ice melts during the summer, or else are so cold// ___ so reflective 'is' missing

(D) reflective, so that little of the polar ice melts during the summer, or so is req before reflective to maintain //

(E) reflects so that little of the polar ice melts during the summer; if it did so is req before reflective to maintain //
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [2]
Given Kudos: 38
Concentration: Operations, Social Entrepreneurship
Schools: (A)
GMAT 1: 610 Q48 V26
Send PM
Kudos
chetan2u carcass

I did get the answer correct, OA seems a little ambiguous to me as in option B were it to do so is something which is a little vague to me.

Can you please help me understand how the ; is rightly used and were it to so is not out of the box?
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31863 [1]
Given Kudos: 290
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
siddyj94 wrote:
chetan2u carcass

I did get the answer correct, OA seems a little ambiguous to me as in option B were it to do so is something which is a little vague to me.

Can you please help me understand how the ; is rightly used and were it to so is not out of the box?

hi..

It is perfectly fine....
IT refers to ICE and DO SO refers to melting...

were it to do so WOULD MEAN If it were to happen....

that little of the polar ice melts during the summer; were it to do so...
if little of the polar ice were to melt during the summer, the water levels of the oceans would rise 250 feet and engulf most of the world’s great cities.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 88 [0]
Given Kudos: 87
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V37
GPA: 4
Send PM
chetan2u, abhimahna still didn't understand why is C incorrect
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 5425 [5]
Given Kudos: 346
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
prateek176 wrote:
chetan2u, abhimahna still didn't understand why is C incorrect

Hey prateek176 ,

C has the problem of parallelism. Remember a conjunction should always have X and Y parallel.

Consider the example:

My sister is so intelligent and my brother so stupid.

Do you see the difference?

1. My sister is so intelligent - Clause

AND - Conjunction(It MUST make X and Y parallel).

2. My brother so stupid. --> Not a Clause.

On a similar lines:

the temperatures are so cold

and

the ice cap so reflective.

It should be the ice cap is so reflective.

Does that make sense?
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 14672 [0]
Given Kudos: 766
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi tarek99,

Thank you for your question.

While you are technically correct about it being a run-on sentence, this is one of the few times when breaking the rule is actually best. Let's look at the part you're struggling with in answer B, and why it's okay to break the rule in this instance:

yet the temperatures are so cold and the ice is so reflective that little of the polar ice melts during the summer

The phrases "the temperatures are so cold" and "the ice is so reflective" BOTH apply to the rest of the phrase "that little of the polar ice melts during the summer. What the writer did here is condense two sentences into one:

Sentence 1: The temperatures are so cold that little of the polar ice melts during the summer.
Sentence 2: The ice is so reflective that little of the polar ice melts during the summer.

Combined: The temperatures are so cold and the ice is so reflective that little of the polar ice melts during the summer.

By combining both sentences, it saves us from reading the same phrase twice and makes the sentence easier to digest.

Remember that English is a 90/10 language: 90% of the time, the rule is the rule - but 10% of the time it's not. :-)

I hope this helps clear things up!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 543 [4]
Given Kudos: 84
Send PM
Kudos