It is currently 19 Oct 2017, 15:41

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Antarctica receives more solar radiation than does any other place on

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 59

Re: Antarctica receives more solar radiation than does any other place on [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Sep 2016, 20:48
VeritasPrepBrian wrote:
Hello, everyone:

I'll take up the cause of "what does 'it' refer to in choice B" a little further. In B, not only does the pronoun "it" present a reference problem, but the phrase "were it to do so" also has no logical referent. Because we're already saying that "little polar ice melts", so "were it to do so" only confirms that, yes, it does melt...but we've already acknowledge that. Without a transition like "were MORE ice to melt", this phrase is illogical.

Interestingly, in Googling this question to see if I could find an official source for it, I've found an alternate version of choice B that begins:

were it NOT to do so

Even that seems dubious to me as that would also seem an illogical meaning (were little ice NOT to melt...), but the whole process makes me wonder a bit about the true wording of this question. B, as written, cannot be correct, but C doesn't look to be correct either (the "or else" is a bit of a run-on sentence). Does anyone have the original source on this one? Since there are a few versions of these answer choices out there, I wonder if the exact question is worded differently than we have it .

I agree with the version "were it NOT to do so" because it delivers the contrast here (as if the ice were not so cold and so reflective, the water level would rise)
J
As per the original question, my query is why A wrong? Imo, (A) has "so cold" parallel with "reflective", and "otherwise" delivers contrast. So I chose A, and of course, wrong.
Could anyone help? Thanks in advance.

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 59

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 1

GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V32
Re: Antarctica receives more solar radiation than does any other place on [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Sep 2016, 04:01
ThangLe wrote:
VeritasPrepBrian wrote:
Hello, everyone:

I'll take up the cause of "what does 'it' refer to in choice B" a little further. In B, not only does the pronoun "it" present a reference problem, but the phrase "were it to do so" also has no logical referent. Because we're already saying that "little polar ice melts", so "were it to do so" only confirms that, yes, it does melt...but we've already acknowledge that. Without a transition like "were MORE ice to melt", this phrase is illogical.

Interestingly, in Googling this question to see if I could find an official source for it, I've found an alternate version of choice B that begins:

were it NOT to do so

Even that seems dubious to me as that would also seem an illogical meaning (were little ice NOT to melt...), but the whole process makes me wonder a bit about the true wording of this question. B, as written, cannot be correct, but C doesn't look to be correct either (the "or else" is a bit of a run-on sentence). Does anyone have the original source on this one? Since there are a few versions of these answer choices out there, I wonder if the exact question is worded differently than we have it .

I agree with the version "were it NOT to do so" because it delivers the contrast here (as if the ice were not so cold and so reflective, the water level would rise)
J
As per the original question, my query is why A wrong? Imo, (A) has "so cold" parallel with "reflective", and "otherwise" delivers contrast. So I chose A, and of course, wrong.
Could anyone help? Thanks in advance.

Two logically parallel elements are presented so there structures should be similar. Also correct idiomatic expression is " A is so X and B is so Y that Z". Answer choice A presents "A is so X and B is Y so that Z". This expression is unidiomatic and has a parallelism error.

I hope that I made my point clear.

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 1

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 97

GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V34
GPA: 3.2
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 25 Sep 2016, 05:07
Antarctica receives more solar radiation than does any other place on Earth, yet the temperatures are so cold and the ice cap is reflective, so that little polar ice melts during the summer; otherwise, the water levels of the oceans would rise 250 feet and engulf most of the world’s great cities.

Correct IDIOM: "temperatures are so cold and the ice cap is so reflective that"

A. is reflective, so that little polar ice melts during the summer; otherwise, --> "are so cold and is reflective" are not parallel
B. is so reflective that little of the polar ice melts during the summer; were it to do so, --> Correct Idiom
C. so reflective that little polar ice melts during the summer, or else --> "are so cold' and "so reflective" are not parallel.
D. reflective, so that little of the polar ice melts during the summer, or -->"so cold" and "reflective" are not parallel
E. reflects so that little of the polar ice melts during the summer; if it did --> i) "so cold" and "reflective" are not parallel ii) 'If it did' is wrong usage to describe a hypothetical situation.

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 97

Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 50

Schools: ISB '20 (WD)
GMAT 1: 610 Q38 V35
GPA: 3.82
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 21 Jul 2017, 00:40
varadmaheshwari wrote:
Antarctica receives more solar radiation than does any other place on Earth, yet the temperatures are so cold and the ice cap is reflective, so that little polar ice melts during the summer; otherwise, the water levels of the oceans would rise 250 feet and engulf most of the world’s great cities.
A. is reflective, so that little polar ice melts during the summer; otherwise,
B. is so reflective that little of the polar ice melts during the summer; were it to do so,
C. so reflective that little polar ice melts during the summer, or else
D. reflective, so that little of the polar ice melts during the summer, or
E. reflects so that little of the polar ice melts during the summer; if it did

I think there is another version of this question with the option B saying 'were it not to do so' rather than 'were it to do so' is that the correct version? I am really trying to make B make sense in my head but somehow I am still at lost at how 'were it to do so' fits here. If anyone could help!

Consider giving me Kudos if you find my posts useful, challenging and helpful!

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 295

GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 21 Jul 2017, 14:05
Antarctica receives more solar radiation than does any other place on Earth, yet the temperatures are so cold and the ice cap is so reflective that little of the polar ice melts during the summer; were it to do so, the water levels of the oceans would rise 250 feet and engulf most of the world’s great cities.

I rejected B because "were it to do so" sounds like an independent clause itself while after comma " water levels ..... would rise..." sounds like another independent clause, isn't this a run on sentence error. Can someone please shed some light on this matter ?

I'm just a hiker who is trying to conquer "GMAT Everest" and asking stupid questions!!!

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 62

Show Tags

New post 22 Jul 2017, 08:21
Going by the definition, a sentence after semi colon should be an independent clause. However in option B, I do not see the same happening. Part after the semi colon does not look like an independent clause. Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 62

BSchool Forum Moderator
D

Kudos [?]: 795 [0], given: 64

Concentration: Healthcare, Technology
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35
GPA: 3.65
WE: Information Technology (Health Care)
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 22 Jul 2017, 10:34
This post was
BOOKMARKED
ashikaverma13 wrote:
I think there is another version of this question with the option B saying 'were it not to do so' rather than 'were it to do so' is that the correct version? I am really trying to make B make sense in my head but somehow I am still at lost at how 'were it to do so' fits here. If anyone could help!

MadaraU wrote:
Antarctica receives more solar radiation than does any other place on Earth, yet the temperatures are so cold and the ice cap is so reflective that little of the polar ice melts during the summer; were it to do so, the water levels of the oceans would rise 250 feet and engulf most of the world’s great cities.

I rejected B because "were it to do so" sounds like an independent clause itself while after comma " water levels ..... would rise..." sounds like another independent clause, isn't this a run on sentence error. Can someone please shed some light on this matter ?

AbhinavBankhwal wrote:
Going by the definition, a sentence after semi colon should be an independent clause. However in option B, I do not see the same happening. Part after the semi colon does not look like an independent clause. Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

Hi ashikaverma13 / MadaraU / AbhinavBankhwal ,

Let me help you guys. :)

I know this question is a bit weird but this is how it is.

"Were it to do so, the water levels would rise... " construction is very similar to If I were to change my childhood, I would have not become an Indian IT Male. :P

Do you see what I am trying to convey?

This construction shows hypothetical case and has been used correctly in option B.

Let me know in case of any concern. I am happy to help. :)

How I improved from V21 to V40! ?

Kudos [?]: 795 [0], given: 64

Intern
Intern
B

GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 22 Jul 2017, 10:54
abhimahna wrote:
ashikaverma13 wrote:

MadaraU wrote:

AbhinavBankhwal wrote:

"Were it to do so, the water levels would rise... " construction is very similar to If I were to change my childhood, I would have not become an Indian IT Male. :P

This construction shows hypothetical case and has been used correctly in option B.

Thanks for replying, i agree with you that we are talking about hypothetical situation but still omission of "If" threw me off. i guess in this case use parallelism error can be used to get rid of A.

I'm just a hiker who is trying to conquer "GMAT Everest" and asking stupid questions!!!

Manager
Manager
S

Schools: ISB '20 (WD)
GMAT 1: 610 Q38 V35
GPA: 3.82
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 22 Jul 2017, 12:35
abhimahna wrote:
ashikaverma13 wrote:

MadaraU wrote:

AbhinavBankhwal wrote:

Hey, thanks for the reply. And I get the meaning of the sentence, sophisticated as it is, I just didn't agree with the use of it in the sentence. The line just before it says 'little ice melts during the summer' so it seems like it is saying if little ice melted during the summer, the water levels would go on.....

Anyway, I guess it is one of those questions the answers of which you just have to accept coz none of the other answers are better than it.

Consider giving me Kudos if you find my posts useful, challenging and helpful!

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
Affiliations: NA

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 57

GMAT 1: 590 Q50 V21
GMAT 2: 600 Q48 V25
GMAT 3: 650 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.5

Show Tags

New post 28 Jul 2017, 23:13
varadmaheshwari wrote:
B. is so reflective that little of the polar ice melts during the summer; were it to do so,

I think If we will pay attention on each and every word or construction that seem weird , we will not be able to reach the answer on time ( In my personal experience , GMAT throws pretty weird sentences during exam). SO lets eliminate the answer based on meaning and grammar.
1. Split 1 : yet the temperatures are so cold and the ice cap is so reflective . If you scan vertically these two clauses should be parallel. As non underlined clause has sub + verb+so , underlined part after 'and' should be clause.
Therefore verb 'is' required .

A. is reflective, so that little polar ice melts during the summer; otherwise, Incorrect as clauses are not parallel.
B. is so reflective that little of the polar ice melts during the summer; were it to do so, Correct choice , as it removes parallelism error.
C. so reflective that little polar ice melts during the summer, or else Incorrect as per Split 1
D. reflective, so that little of the polar ice melts during the summer, or Incorrect as per Split 1
E. reflects so that little of the polar ice melts during the summer; if it did Incorrect as per Split 1

After selecting correct answer , we can confirm the meaning is same.

#If you like my post , please encourage me by giving Kudos :)

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 57

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 16 Aug 2017, 02:40
If possible Please provide the explanation about the incorrectness in each option and why B is correct or more appropriate.
I rejected option (b) thinking that pronoun "it" makes the option more ambiguous.
OA is 'B' .
Thanks !!!

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 42

GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35
GPA: 4

Show Tags

New post 16 Aug 2017, 04:16
amitdgr wrote:
Nihit wrote:

I think the answer is C

Antarctica receives more solar radiation than does any other place on Earth, yet the temperatures are so cold and the ice cap so reflective that little polar ice melts during the summer, or else, the water levels of the oceans would rise 250 feet and engulf most of the world’s great cities.

why do I feel were it to do so, in B is not so right?

I may be wrong. But this is my opinion :suspect

I agree! Moreover, I am not very sure about the phrase little of the polar ice

daagh sir, shouldn't the OA be C?
abhimahna , please give your valuable inputs. :)

Desperately need 'KUDOS' !!

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 42

Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 114 [0], given: 157

Concentration: Finance, International Business
GPA: 3
WE: Project Management (Manufacturing)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 06 Sep 2017, 22:23

(A) is reflective, so that little polar ice melts during the summer; otherwise, so is req before reflective to maintain //

(B) is so reflective that little of the polar ice melts during the summer; were it to do so, Correct

(C) so reflective that little polar ice melts during the summer, or else are so cold// ___ so reflective 'is' missing

(D) reflective, so that little of the polar ice melts during the summer, or so is req before reflective to maintain //

(E) reflects so that little of the polar ice melts during the summer; if it did so is req before reflective to maintain //

Kudos if you like my post

Kudos [?]: 114 [0], given: 157

Re: Antarctica receives more solar radiation than does any other place on   [#permalink] 06 Sep 2017, 22:23

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4   [ 73 posts ] 

Antarctica receives more solar radiation than does any other place on

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap