Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 02:46 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 02:46

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: UWC
Own Kudos [?]: 8796 [9]
Given Kudos: 100
GMAT 1: 620 Q42 V33
GMAT 2: 680 Q44 V38
GPA: 3.43
WE:Engineering (Entertainment and Sports)
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 422 [1]
Given Kudos: 46
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: UWC
Own Kudos [?]: 8796 [0]
Given Kudos: 100
GMAT 1: 620 Q42 V33
GMAT 2: 680 Q44 V38
GPA: 3.43
WE:Engineering (Entertainment and Sports)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 120 [0]
Given Kudos: 30
Concentration: Accounting, Finance
GMAT Date: 10-25-2013
GPA: 3.66
Send PM
Re: Anthropologists who study orangutans, distant cousins of the human [#permalink]
Can someone please explain the Third question.

The passage indicates that it is difficult to return orangutans to the wild for which of the following reasons?
I. The threat posed by newcomers to other orangutans' territory
II. The conflict between males over available females
III. The scarcity of available food in the orangutan’s environment
A) I only
B) I and II only
C) I and III only

D) II and III only
E) I, II, and III

I marked C as my answer but as per OA its B.....
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 120 [0]
Given Kudos: 30
Concentration: Accounting, Finance
GMAT Date: 10-25-2013
GPA: 3.66
Send PM
Re: Anthropologists who study orangutans, distant cousins of the human [#permalink]
roopika2990 wrote:
Can anyone explain q3?? ... I don't find any of the answers correct.

Hi Roopika,

Even I was not sure about the answer but then I just went through the last para again.

Have a look at the Second line in 3rd para "Incorrectly relocating a male orangutan is especially problematic, often ending in the animal’s death at the hands of a rival who sees not only his territory but also the females of his loosely knit community under threat from an outsider."

This explains the answer to third question.

Hope it helps...!!! :-D
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [1]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
someone please explain the answer to Q4....
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 665 [4]
Given Kudos: 258
MISSION : 800
WE:Design (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Kudos
SaudKhan wrote:
someone please explain the answer to Q4....

Hi

Which of the following can be inferred about differences between the behavior of orangutans and that of other ape species?
A) While orangutans spend much of their time in the treetops, other apes live exclusively on the ground.> Extreme point
B) Orangutans and other types of apes are all sociable species, but orangutans are more likely to bond for life. >> This can not be inferred from the passage as no such comparison is dr
C) Apes such as chimpanzees rely less upon their size than the average orangutan does. > no such comparison made regarding sizes
D) Orangutans spend less time in the company of other members of their species than do some other apes. >>

Read these last lines para 2 " Consequently, orangutans are [b]solitary, territorial animals " Suggesting they live alone or basically spend less time with others (inferable)[/b]

E) Because of their stringent territoriality, orangutans are less likely to elude capture by poachers than are other apes. No as the point of stating this line is omething else
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 665 [0]
Given Kudos: 258
MISSION : 800
WE:Design (Manufacturing)
Send PM
roopika2990 wrote:
Can anyone explain q3?? ... I don't find any of the answers correct.

Hi

The passage indicates that it is difficult to return orangutans to the wild for which of the following reasons?
I. The threat posed by newcomers to other orangutans' territory. >> Stated in the last para that others may attack orangutans reallocated as the other primates may think that the new comer may be a sort of danger for the females in the group.
II. The conflict between males over available females >> Same reason as stated above dr is a conflict over females
III. The scarcity of available food in the orangutan’s environment >> No where discussed in the passage (out of scope )
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32857 [0]
Given Kudos: 5775
GPA: 3.62
Send PM
Expert Reply
nityakaul02 wrote:
is it 600 or 650 level ??

This is a 650 level passage.

Thank you
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Send PM
How is the author criticizing the anthropologists .That sounds extreme ?
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 683 [0]
Given Kudos: 1316
Send PM
praneethduggirala wrote:
How is the author criticizing the anthropologists .That sounds extreme ?

Hi praneethduggirala,

Which question are you referring to??? Could you elaborate?

Thanks.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
The question stats based on session should be displayed somewhere else as it sometimes causes distraction while answering the mcq. (I mean if there's a simple question and stats shows that 70% has answered it wrong then it is bound to cause some confusion)

Posted from my mobile device
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32857 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
mayurmb wrote:
The question stats based on session should be displayed somewhere else as it sometimes causes distraction while answering the mcq. (I mean if there's a simple question and stats shows that 70% has answered it wrong then it is bound to cause some confusion)

Posted from my mobile device

If you feel any distraction by the timer stats just click on the "Hide timer stats" button and the stats will be hidden. See the screen shot.

Attachment:
Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg [ 309.6 KiB | Viewed 8904 times ]

Thank you
CrackVerbal Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 277 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
1. The primary purpose of this passage is to:

The passage primarily describes the behavior of orangutans and some of the problems faced by them due to these behavioral tendencies.

A) describe some behavioral and evolutionary characteristics of orangutans Correct answer.

B) analyze the reasons why early primates left their forest dwellings The passage does not touch on this subject. Eliminate.

C) illustrate the dangers posed to orangutans by poachers The passage only mentions poachers in the last paragraph - this cannot be the primary purpose of the passage. Eliminate.

D) show how orangutan behavior differs from that of other primates The passage touches on this but not in much detail - this is not the primary purpose. Eliminate.

E) criticize anthropologists who misinterpret orangutan behavior There is no criticism of anthropologists in the passage. Eliminate.

2. The author of the passage discusses “orangutans taken from poachers” (lines 23) in order to:

This is mentioned primarily to highlight the difficulties that these orangutans face from other territorial orangutans when they are reintroduced into the wild.

A) stress the importance of preserving orangutans as a species Subsequent to the mention of this, there is nothing about "preservation" of orangutans. Eliminate.

B) indicate the widespread practice of animal poaching The passage does not mention whether poaching is widespread or not. Eliminate.

C) refute the theory that orangutans can live in a variety of environments The passage does not mention any such theory. Eliminate.

D) contrast the behavior of orangutans with that of other apes Subsequent to this mention, there is no mention of "other apes". Eliminate.

E) emphasize the consequences of orangutan territoriality Correct answer.

3. The passage indicates that it is difficult to return orangutans to the wild for which of the following reasons?

I. The threat posed by newcomers to other orangutans' territory
II. The conflict between males over available females
III. The scarcity of available food in the orangutan’s environment

This is detailed in the third paragraph. Specifically, the passage states: "...often ending in the animal’s death at the hands of a rival who sees not only his territory but also the females of his loosely knit community under threat from an outsider". This covers points I and II above.

A) I only Eliminate. Does not include II

B) I and II only Correct answer.

C) I and III only Eliminate. III is incorrect, does not include II.

D) II and III only Eliminate. III is incorrect, does not include I.

E) I, II, and III Eliminate. III is incorrect.

4. Which of the following can be inferred about differences between the behavior of orangutans and that of other ape species?

Two key differences mentioned in the passage are:
i) "While to a certain extent all primates except humans spend at least some time dwelling in trees, the orangutan hardly ever ventures to the forest floor."
ii) "While humans, like chimpanzees, are more gregarious and resourceful than orangutans..."

A) While orangutans spend much of their time in the treetops, other apes live exclusively on the ground. The passage does not state that other apes live "exclusively" on the ground. Eliminate.

B) Orangutans and other types of apes are all sociable species, but orangutans are more likely to bond for life. Orangutans are solitary and not sociable as per the passage. Eliminate.

C) Apes such as chimpanzees rely less upon their size than the average orangutan does. The passage does not mention this. Eliminate.

D) Orangutans spend less time in the company of other members of their species than do some other apes. Correct. The passage states repeatedly that the orangutans are solitary animals.

E) Because of their stringent territoriality, orangutans are less likely to elude capture by poachers than are other apes. The passage does not mention this. Eliminate.

Hope this helps.
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32857 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Added question number 5, 6 and 7. Now bumping it up for further discussion.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
can someone explain the 7th questions m a bit confused
CrackVerbal Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 277 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Kuanl wrote:

Hi

Q7 asks: It can be inferred from the passage that one development responsible for the evolution of distinct ape species was:

The two underlined portions are the key, both of which can be found in the first paragraph. We first need to locate a distinct ape species, which is done by this sentence: "...all primates except humans spend at least some time dwelling in trees".

Therefore, humans spend no time dwelling in treetops and are hence distinct. How this came about (or, at least, how this began) is explained in the previous sentence, which states: "...primates originally dwelt in the treetops and only migrated to the ground as forests began to dwindle".

Therefore, option (B), which gives exactly this as a possible explanation, is the correct answer. Hope this helps.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
svasan05 wrote:
Kuanl wrote:

Hi

Q7 asks: It can be inferred from the passage that one development responsible for the evolution of distinct ape species was:

The two underlined portions are the key, both of which can be found in the first paragraph. We first need to locate a distinct ape species, which is done by this sentence: "...all primates except humans spend at least some time dwelling in trees".

Therefore, humans spend no time dwelling in treetops and are hence distinct. How this came about (or, at least, how this began) is explained in the previous sentence, which states: "...primates originally dwelt in the treetops and only migrated to the ground as forests began to dwindle".

Therefore, option (B), which gives exactly this as a possible explanation, is the correct answer. Hope this helps.

Thanks i kind of overlooked it and got confused
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
can anyone exlpain question 1 answer? i am really confused
why cant d be the correct answer?
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 683 [1]
Given Kudos: 1316
Send PM
Kudos
Talhahussaini wrote:
can anyone exlpain question 1 answer? i am really confused
why cant d be the correct answer?

Hi Talhahussaini,

Please refer the reply by expert from Crack Verbal here:

https://gmatclub.com/forum/anthropologists-who-study-orangutans-distant-cousins-of-the-human-133340.html#p2626369

Let us know if you still have doubts.
Thanks.
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
13957 posts